Frankie reads 2016

frankie

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ha! I always aim for 100... the most I did was 103, the year before I joined BCF. Did 77 last year and 80 something the year previous.

I always aim for 100, too :D I managed it in 2009, 2010 and 2014, so I've done pretty okay, but last year I only managed 75 which is the lowest number of books for me since 2007  :hide:   

Obviously you had a lot more time to read before you joined the club and started reading these threads and posts instead of actual books :lol: 

Obviously you had a lot more time to read before you joined the club and started reading these threads and posts instead of actual books :lol:

That DEFINITELY happens to me. I spend more time updating my thread, reading other threads, looking up books I hear mentioned on goodreads, managing my goodreads..... how much more reading I'd get done if it weren't for all that!

I never read before this forum, though. I loved books but didn't know the first thing about finding recommendations, so I just never read.

There's this charity shop at the mall which I have to walk by on my way to and from work. It's a Salvation Army shop, and I've been to it maybe 5 times. There are books there but nothing really interesting to tempt me, so I don't think I've bought anything there before. I'm kind of tired of the shop already, because it seems that there are always the same old books... And I do try and buy everything in their original language. Or rather, buy English originals in English if possible, and other stuff in Finnish. I try not to buy translated English literature, and so there's not much for me there at the SA shop.

Having had such great luck at the flea market yesterday, I thought I'd pop in today at the SA shop, too. And it was a huge success! :exc: I found an English copy of Red Dog by Louis de Berniéres! :exc::smile2: It's been on my wishlist since 2012, I think. I think it was poppyshake's review that made me add it to my wishlist. It's a true account of a Kelpie who lived in Australia, so that's three things I love: dogs, Australia, and true stories :smile2: I was so thrilled to find a copy, I couldn't believe my luck! :wub: Yeeehaaaaaw :D And it was only 1€. :cool: And it's for charity, too! 

Edited by frankie

I never read before this forum, though. I loved books but didn't know the first thing about finding recommendations, so I just never read

It's odd to think that you never read before this forum! I would never have figured that out about you, you're such a reader :) 

Already posted in the read-a-thon thread, but can't help but post on here, too: Boss just called me and gave me tomorrow off! :exc: I now have a long weekend, which is mega awesome! I was going to start the read-a-thon today anyhow, but now it's all the more exciting and easy as I don't have to go to work tomorrow and I can stay up late! :smile2: Boss is so cool :cool: 

It's odd to think that you never read before this forum! I would never have figured that out about you, you're such a reader :)

I read tons as a child and teenager Then in college I read the odd book that I hear people raving about. But I have no real reader friends in real life, so yeah, maybe read four or five books a year :D

Congrats on the day off, long weekends are always a nice treat. No excuses for a poor read-a-thon now! :P

[quote name="frankie" post="459298" timestamp="1464880460"

:D

Ditto :o

Edited by Anna Begins

Yay! Congrats on completing the probation. :)

I'm happy that you found a copy of Red Dog! I guess I don't have to send you the copy I bought for you then. :P:giggle2: (Don't worry, it was a cheap secondhand copy I bought at the bookfair). :D

I hope you have a great read-a-thon. Maybe you can make a dent in the 17 books that you're behind. ;)

I was so thrilled to find a copy, I couldn't believe my luck! :wub: Yeeehaaaaaw :D And it was only 1€. :cool: And it's for charity, too!

I hope you enjoy it :D, what a great find :)

Already posted in the read-a-thon thread, but can't help but post on here, too: Boss just called me and gave me tomorrow off! :exc: I now have a long weekend, which is mega awesome! I was going to start the read-a-thon today anyhow, but now it's all the more exciting and easy as I don't have to go to work tomorrow and I can stay up late! :smile2: Boss is so cool :cool:

How lucky :). I wish you lots of reading fun :readingtwo:.

I read tons as a child and teenager Then in college I read the odd book that I hear people raving about. But I have no real reader friends in real life, so yeah, maybe read four or five books a year 

I didn't particularly need recommendations when growing up, I would just go to the library and browse the collection and read the blurbs and borrow whatever tickled my fancy :shrug: It's easier, though, to now have people whose tastes you can trust and who will recommend books to you, and to have this forum to browse, but I'd still be reading and finding books on my own if I didn't have the forum or friends who read. 

Yay! Congrats on completing the probation. 

Thanks! I'm mega happy :) Although Boss did give me the impression that I would be continuing, weeks beforehand, so it wasn't a great big surprise. But still, it's pretty sweet! :smile2:

I'm happy that you found a copy of Red Dog! I guess I don't have to send you the copy I bought for you then.  (Don't worry, it was a cheap secondhand copy I bought at the bookfair). 

Oh shucks, Kylie! :(  :empathy:  I'm so glad it was a cheap secondhand copy though, phew! But thank you for getting it for me in the first place, anyway! :wub: You know me very well, to know I would've loved it!  :flowers2: 

I hope you have a great read-a-thon. Maybe you can make a dent in the 17 books that you're behind. 

That's what I'm hoping, too :D If I could just get it to 15 ... :D I'm doomed, aren't I. 

I hope you enjoy it, what a great find.

Have you read the book? :)

How lucky. I wish you lots of reading fun.

Thanks! I've been looking forward to this weekend so much, and I'm psyched! :D

I didn't particularly need recommendations when growing up, I would just go to the library and browse the collection and read the blurbs and borrow whatever tickled my fancy :shrug: It's easier, though, to now have people whose tastes you can trust and who will recommend books to you, and to have this forum to browse, but I'd still be reading and finding books on my own if I didn't have the forum or friends who read.

I did the same thing when I was a child and teenager :). But it's nice to find recommendations nowadays.

Have you read the book? :)

No, sorry. But I hope you enjoy it though :).

I did the same thing when I was a child and teenager :). But it's nice to find recommendations nowadays.

Yep, especially from trusted people. One is more likely to read books one will like that way :)

No, sorry. But I hope you enjoy it though :).

I'm sure I shall! :smile2:

I'm torn... It's a lovely day outside, and I have the day off. I'm tempted to go and visit a recycling center I've never been to before, to see their books... :blush: But on the other hand, it's the read-a-thon weekend and I ought to (and want to) continue reading my book... Yes, this is truly a first world problem. How to spend my time on a beautiful sunny day?! :rolleyes::D

Edit: I think I will go and visit the center. I can go to the shopping mall that's next to it, too, to see if I could find some new clothes for work. I've been needing a few things for a while now. Two birds with one stone! 

Edited by frankie

I went to the recycling center and found a copy of Inna Patrakova's Naapurit ('Neighbors') in mint condition :smile2: I read the book a few years ago and absolutely loved it and I knew that if I would ever come across with a copy, I'd buy it. Hurrah! It was 3e, so somewhat pricey for a recycling center but I wanted it. 

Didn't feel like going to the mall after that, so I only went to the supermarket and I found a nice skirt I think I can pull off, and a nice T-shirt. Both were on sale! I did my grocery shopping at the same place so saved me some trouble. Got some food on sale, too! 

I started feeling a bit funky while at the supermarket, I'm now wondering if I'm coming down with a cold or something. My head feels funny and achey :unsure: I'm going to take it easy for the rest of the weekend, and can spend the three days on reading with a clean conscience! :)

Yep, especially from trusted people. One is more likely to read books one will like that way :)

That's true :).

How nice you found a copy of a book you really loved :). I hope you won't come down wtih a cold :flowers2:.

Still feeling a bit funny... I think I'm going to curl up in bed, under a blanket, and just read and maybe take a nap. No worries, it's the weekend, it's not the end of the world. Can't wait to read more of the book I'm reading at the moment: - A Mother's Reckoning - Living in the Aftermath of the Columbine Tragedy by Sue Klebold.

#25. This Is Life by Dan Rhodes

Blurb: In Paris, art student Aurélie Renard throws a stone and sets in motion a chain of events that will turn her life upside down. 

Suddenly finding herself in sole charge of a stranger's baby, and with no idea how babies work, it's only thanks to the help of her adoring professor and her gun-toting heartbreaker of a best friend that Aurélie Renard is able to navigate her way through the most extraordinary and calamitous seven days of her life. 

Meanwhile, in a Pigalle cinema, a naked man is doing his best to show the people of Paris, Aurélie among them, what it means to be alive...

Thoughts: Such an odd blurb! But I've read one Dan Rhodes novel before, Gold, and that was odd and quirky, too, and I loved it. So I should love this one, aye? I should and I did :wub: I had absolutely no idea where this novel was going most of the time, but I went with it and found that as I'd hoped, it all made sense by the end. Do I think some of it was far-fetched, as some have said in their reviews? I don't care! It's fiction, it's supposed to entertain me, and that was what the novel managed to do just fine! And more than just fine. I was reading this at home in bed, I was reading it on the couch, I was reading it on my way to work, and I always forgot where I was in real life and got totally sucked into the story and found myself in Paris. I gasped aloud on several occasions, going 'No you didn't! :o' and 'No way!!' :lol:

I loved the characters, and I rooted for them :wub: I love books where you have a number of characters and at first you have no idea how it's all connected, but then the author works his/her magic and things come together. This is the type of book I love reading. 

My favorite book so far this year! :smile2: And thanks to tunn300 and his review of the novel which made me add it to my wishlist!  :flowers2:

5/5

Edit: I wonder what made Dan Rhodes set the book in France, as he's British himself. It didn't matter, though, as I like book set in France. And there were things he was able to do in the novel for it. A comical commentary of cultures... :giggle2:

Edit2: I don't like the cover of the novel in tunn300's review... I had a different cover and much preferred that one! Here's the cover of the library book I have: 

13137334.jpg

Edited by frankie

Still feeling a bit funny... I think I'm going to curl up in bed, under a blanket, and just read and maybe take a nap. No worries, it's the weekend, it's not the end of the world. Can't wait to read more of the book I'm reading at the moment: - A Mother's Reckoning - Living in the Aftermath of the Columbine Tragedy by Sue Klebold.

I saw her on TV when the book came out, remember the tragedy well. So sad, but she just sounded so out of touch with the boys. I mean, they made bombs and alters in the garage for heaven's sake!

I hope you aren't getting sick and some rest helps :)

I have never heard of this author, but it sounds like something I would enjoy. I love quirky books with great characters. I'll have to give it a go.

Yay! :smile2: I hope you will like it!! :)

I saw her on TV when the book came out, remember the tragedy well. So sad, but she just sounded so out of touch with the boys. I mean, they made bombs and alters in the garage for heaven's sake!

I hope you aren't getting sick and some rest helps :)

Thanks Anna! I'm feeling okay today... Not my normally self, but at least I think I'm not coming down with anything more sinister. Maybe it was just a bit of a cold. 

I haven't read as far as to know more about the prep the boys did, leading to the day, and what Sue has to say about that, so I can't really comment on that. :shrug: I don't know how she's managed to cope... I know if I had children and they did something like that, I might be sorely tempted to just end my own life. 

I'm so glad!

Well, she did cry and weep and all, but...

I just found a pic of my x online and it sorta makes everything better :P. I mean, like MUCH better :D

(Thought you might get a kick out of that lol)

Edited by Anna Begins