Frankie reads 2016

frankie

I think I've come up with my sole reading challenge for the year: read more books off the TBR than you acquire! I don't think I've done this not once since I joined the forum. Yes, this will be the one thing that I'm going to try and succeed in. :yes:

Edited by frankie

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hooray! Frankie’s new reading log is here!!  :exc: 

As usual, you have loads of great books on your TBR pile and wish list, and many more that I also want to read. :)

There are so many books to comment on that I don’t know where to start, and I would mostly just be saying ‘I want to read this too!’ or ‘Read this. It’s great!’ (Or 'Avoid this. It sucks.' ;)), which would be boring of me, so I won’t do it.

Want to read this year:

The Phantom Tollbooth

Humph. I won't hold my breath. :P:D

Ooh, you've gone fancy with the alignment on one of those posts! I think the section about TBR books by genre is new, right? Great idea!

Hey, I recognise those doggy pics! :D I took some pics of my brother's dogs when I went to visit him last week just so I could show you. :) I'll post them in the pets thread at some stage.

I hope you have another fantastic reading year, my wonderful friend!  :flowers2:  :friends3:

Happy Reading in 2016 my lovely :hug: Your sole reading challenge needs to be my sole reading challenge too .. only I know I'd fail  :blush2: I'll cheer you on instead :D:cows: 

More importantly .. hope you enjoy your reading in 2016 and read more than your fair share of scrumptious stories! :yes: 

Lovely doggy pics :) xx

Happy 2016 Frankie, your ultimate challenge is the same as mine, in reality it should be harder for you as you also frequent the libraries, I have no such excuse! May the force be with us both! :D

Your lists are so extensive, I am in awe!

I hope you manage to get around to reading a Sebastian Faulks this year, I'll be very interested to hear what you think of them. You'll have to be in the right mood to start them of course, neither of the ones you have are quick, easy reads.

I really must get to The Angel's Game this year, it's a long time since I read TSotW so I'm hoping I remember enough of it to not make TAG too hard going. The Prince of Mist was an excellent read, and being one of his young adult books was not too deep and heavy.

WOW! Your wish list is HUGE! Saying that, there are hundreds on my Goodreads lists but I daren't write it out, I am planning on culling some of the older ones soon, It'll take me years to read that many and I'm sure I'll have gone off some of them by now.

Happy New Year frankie, may your reading be splendiferous!  :smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

Edited by chaliepud

Hooray! Frankie’s new reading log is here!! 

Hurraaaah =D I've been looking forward to going to yours, but I have a tendency to go 'view new content' and go through the threads in order, and people keep posting in other threads and posting their new reading logs and it seems like I will never get to yours at this rate!!! 

As usual, you have loads of great books on your TBR pile and wish list, and many more that I also want to read.

There are so many books to comment on that I don’t know where to start, and I would mostly just be saying ‘I want to read this too!’ or ‘Read this. It’s great!’ (Or 'Avoid this. It sucks.' ), which would be boring of me, so I won’t do it.

I remember when we used to do that (comment on our TBR lists and wishlists) and it was tough going as it was, some years ago, and I couldn't imagine doing that now what with both our lists having expanded billionfold :giggle2: It's easier to say, I love your TBR list and wishlist and there are so many great ones there and am jealous :D

Humph. I won't hold my breath. 

Yeaaahhmmmhhhmph   =(

Ooh, you've gone fancy with the alignment on one of those posts! I think the section about TBR books by genre is new, right? Great idea!

Yep, it's a new idea! =)  I really should've placed the post a lot earlier in the first page, instead of having it at the bottom, but I didn't think it through!  :doh:  Can't be bothered to move things around now. There's the quick link to it so that should do it. 

Hey, I recognise those doggy pics!  I took some pics of my brother's dogs when I went to visit him last week just so I could show you. I'll post them in the pets thread at some stage.

Did I know your bro has doggies?!? Wow!! That is so cool! Tell me all about them and please do post pics soon :blush: Thanks for thinking of me! :blush: 

I hope you have another fantastic reading year, my wonderful friend!  

You too, bestie!!  :kissing:   :readingtwo: 

Happy Reading in 2016 my lovely  Your sole reading challenge needs to be my sole reading challenge too .. only I know I'd fail   I'll cheer you on instead 

Happy reading to you, too, my darling friend!  :hug:   I will need the cheer and all the luck I can  get :D But are you not the least bit tempted to try the challenge? :giggle: You read so many books last year that I think you could easily do it :yes: Although I didn't take a look at how many books you acquired last year.... :giggle2:

Lovely doggy pics xx

Thanks! They are my Aussie friends from the Field Day :smile2: The big one, Donny, looked intimidating to me, at first, and so initially I opted for cuddling the wee ones, but then I saw Kylie etc. going for the bigger dog and him greeting them with such enthusiasm and love that I wanted to kick myself in the head for thinking he might be a grumpy one! :blush: Like his owner said, he's a big old softie (but a tough worker). 

Happy 2016 Frankie, your ultimate challenge is the same as mine, in reality it should be harder for you as you also frequent the libraries, I have no such excuse! May the force be with us both! 

I'm glad to have you working on the same challenge, it won't be so lonely :lol:  :friends3:   I've been thinking I need to somehow restrain myself from reserving so many books from the library: that's my biggest downfall. Going to the library in itself isn't as bad, but having reservations there waiting for me is the worst. I mean, the best, but the worst :giggle: 

I changed my signature to remind me of my challenge, I hope that will help me a bit, to keep the ultimate goal in mind :yes: 

Your lists are so extensive, I am in awe!

Aww, thank you! :smile2: It was hard work in the earlier years to make the lists, but these days it's just copy+pasting from the previous thread :blush: Very easy for a very lazy person :giggle2: 

I hope you manage to get around to reading a Sebastian Faulks this year, I'll be very interested to hear what you think of them. You'll have to be in the right mood to start them of course, neither of the ones you have are quick, easy reads.

Coincidentally I was thinking about the Human Traces book just the other day. Oh yes, it came to me when I was sorting out the different genres/themes on my TBR, and when I did the 'presents from friends' section. I'm now wondering if I should actually re-arrange my bookcase and dedicate a shelf for those books... I'd love to do it but on the other hand, I love having my own doggy books section and some of those books are presents and I'd therefore have to move them and I don't think I could separate some of the doggy books from that section to put them in another. They belong together :wub: 

I really must get to The Angel's Game this year, it's a long time since I read TSotW so I'm hoping I remember enough of it to not make TAG too hard going. The Prince of Mist was an excellent read, and being one of his young adult books was not too deep and heavy.

I've been meaning to do this same thing for a few years now :blush: But I feel like TAG would be difficult because as much as I loved TSofW, I don't remember much about it. And therefore I think I need to re-read it again, and I'm fearing very badly the possibility that it isn't as good a book as I remember it to be :blush: It's one of my biggest re-reading fears, this particular book. :( 

WOW! Your wish list is HUGE! Saying that, there are hundreds on my Goodreads lists but I daren't write it out, I am planning on culling some of the older ones soon, It'll take me years to read that many and I'm sure I'll have gone off some of them by now.

:D I'm tempted to egg you on to write the GR list out :D But that would take a lot of time... That's a good excuse not to do it :giggle2: A culling of the wishlist is a good idea, we talked about it in some other thread. Feels a bit ruthless, but I think it needs to be done at some point. 

(I've not dared count how many books I have on my wishlist.... Maybe some day!)

Happy New Year frankie, may your reading be splendiferous!  

Thanks chalie, and may yours be spectactastilicious :D 

Hurraaaah =D I've been looking forward to going to yours, but I have a tendency to go 'view new content' and go through the threads in order, and people keep posting in other threads and posting their new reading logs and it seems like I will never get to yours at this rate!!!

I'll try to wait patiently. :)

I remember when we used to do that (comment on our TBR lists and wishlists) and it was tough going as it was, some years ago, and I couldn't imagine doing that now what with both our lists having expanded billionfold :giggle2: It's easier to say, I love your TBR list and wishlist and there are so many great ones there and am jealous :D

I'm glad you understand! It'd take me a week (at least!) to go through and comment individually on every book I want to comment on. :D

Did I know your bro has doggies?!? Wow!! That is so cool! Tell me all about them and please do post pics soon :blush: Thanks for thinking of me! :blush:

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think I've taken photos of them before for you, but then forgot to send them to you. He has a black and white border collie named Molly (she's so cute and loves pats). She's about 13 or 14 now. His partner has two dogs: a big black one named Maverick (I've forgotten the breed) and a brown one named ... oh gosh, I've forgotten. :( I think it's a cattle dog. Or kelpie. I have such a bad memory! 

Thanks! They are my Aussie friends from the Field Day :smile2: The big one, Donny, looked intimidating to me, at first, and so initially I opted for cuddling the wee ones, but then I saw Kylie etc. going for the bigger dog and him greeting them with such enthusiasm and love that I wanted to kick myself in the head for thinking he might be a grumpy one! :blush: Like his owner said, he's a big old softie (but a tough worker). 

I went over to the big dog?! Wow, I'm impressed with myself. I suppose I'm not as intimidated by that breed. If it was a german shepherd or rottweiler I would never have approached it. :)

I went to the vet down the road from my place today to pick up some cat food for Jasper (he gets dental problems so I have to buy special food for him) and the waiting room was full of dogs and their owners (who were staring at me) and there was a cage at the end of the room with two little kitties in it. I went past all the dogs and straight to the kitties, then felt a bit rude for not patting the dogs on the way. They seemed harmless, but one of them was HUGE. I didn't pay attention to the breeds because I only had eyes for the kitties. Aww. :wub: I'm going to visit some shelters next week and I'll more than likely adopt another cat. Can't wait! I want a playmate for Jasper.

I changed my signature to remind me of my challenge, I hope that will help me a bit, to keep the ultimate goal in mind :yes:

Seeing this reminded me that I should check my own signature (I'd forgotten what it was!) and change it. And I noticed that the link in my sig links to my 2014 log...I never updated it to 2015!  :giggle2: It's now 2016 here, so my sig is officially two years out of date. Oops!

We shall have to encourage one another frankie! I'm not presently feeling the urge to buy books but I know that is just New Years making me behave, it mightn't last, plus there are a few books being publsihed this year that I know I will WANT! :D

I may think about typing out my wish list at some point, but only if I can get it down to around 100 books, I may work on that this afternoon if the kids are amusing themselves without me. :)

I thought about sectioning my bookshelves but I too am happy with how they are at present, Hardback alphabetical, paperback alphabetical and non-fiction according to subject. I may have to revise this when the alcove shelves are ready for use though. :)

Edited by chaliepud

I'm scared of If On a Winter's Night a Traveler :hide: 

Think you might get to Pillars of the Earth this year?

I have Water for Elephants on my list for 2016 too :smile:

Happy New Year!

Happy reading to you, too, my darling friend!  :hug:   I will need the cheer and all the luck I can  get :D But are you not the least bit tempted to try the challenge? :giggle: You read so many books last year that I think you could easily do it :yes: Although I didn't take a look at how many books you acquired last year.... :giggle2:

For some unknown reason I've set myself a ridiculous reading challenge on Goodreads!! I think I got confused .. I was at my mum and dad's and stabbing things into my phone. Possibly it was the wine and excess of chocolate etc .. some sort of self induced fug anyway. It's a higher amount than I managed last year and I thought I'd done particularly well. God knows what possessed me to set it so hugh. Goodreads will be jabbing me all year to tell me I'm behind  :blush2: It did this the year before last until I thought I'd do someone an injury  :D

I could change it I suppose but that would say 'failure' before I've even started. No .. I'm stuck with it now and will be running to catch up all year!! Bother!!  :empathy:  :D   

PS: I definitely didn't read more books from my TBR than I acquired last year  :blush2: 

Oh wow! Totally in awe of your lists and the management that has gone into them! All those books and lists would boggle my mind. Really glad to see The Girl In A Swing on your list of books to read this year. I really enjoyed it though I didn't quite understand it. I'd be interested in your comments and am almost tempted to re-read it in readiness for them :P

I'm glad you understand! It'd take me a week (at least!) to go through and comment individually on every book I want to comment on. 

Yep! :lol: Also, it would get kind of repetitive, seeing as you and I have a lot of books on our TBRs that aren't getting read ... :blush: We'd be saying the same things about the same books year in, year out :lol: 

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think I've taken photos of them before for you, but then forgot to send them to you. He has a black and white border collie named Molly (she's so cute and loves pats). She's about 13 or 14 now. His partner has two dogs: a big black one named Maverick (I've forgotten the breed) and a brown one named ... oh gosh, I've forgotten. I think it's a cattle dog. Or kelpie. I have such a bad memory!

I love Border Collies! :smile2: And big black dogs :D And brown ones! :D

I went over to the big dog?! Wow, I'm impressed with myself. I suppose I'm not as intimidated by that breed. If it was a german shepherd or rottweiler I would never have approached it.

Well I'm not quite sure what happened as I had my back turned at first, but it was either you or the co. who went to the dog. I guess you're more used to Kelpies (in that it's a common breed over there) than I am so maybe that did it. Kelpies aren't intimidating at all if you know the breed! :smile2: At least not that I know of... They don't have a bad rep, I don't think? 

I went to the vet down the road from my place today to pick up some cat food for Jasper (he gets dental problems so I have to buy special food for him) and the waiting room was full of dogs and their owners (who were staring at me) and there was a cage at the end of the room with two little kitties in it. I went past all the dogs and straight to the kitties, then felt a bit rude for not patting the dogs on the way. They seemed harmless, but one of them was HUGE. I didn't pay attention to the breeds because I only had eyes for the kitties. Aww.  I'm going to visit some shelters next week and I'll more than likely adopt another cat. Can't wait! I want a playmate for Jasper.

:lol: No need to feel rude about that! We all have our own preferences :smile2: I love huge dogs :D Especially ones who don't realize that they are big, and who insist on thinking of themselves as lapdogs :D

Seeing this reminded me that I should check my own signature (I'd forgotten what it was!) and change it. And I noticed that the link in my sig links to my 2014 log...I never updated it to 2015!   It's now 2016 here, so my sig is officially two years out of date. Oops!

:rolol:   I LOLled! :D Bahahahahahaah :lol: :lol:

We shall have to encourage one another frankie! I'm not presently feeling the urge to buy books but I know that is just New Years making me behave, it mightn't last, plus there are a few books being publsihed this year that I know I will WANT! :D

I know what you mean :D Give us a few weeks and it's back to old routines... :giggle2: 

But hey, if there are books that are being published by your favorite authors, then they are must-buys. One doesn't have to explain or justify those to anyone :cool::giggle2: 

I thought about sectioning my bookshelves but I too am happy with how they are at present, Hardback alphabetical, paperback alphabetical and non-fiction according to subject. I may have to revise this when the alcove shelves are ready for use though. :)

That's pretty much how I'd like to have my books too, at least the fiction section. I like alphabetical order with books! But in the past I've had to make do with very little space and therefore have been forced to organize books according to size and so the alphabetical order didn't do, and now I'm just too comfortable with the way things are :) 

Wishing you a very happy reading year in 2016 frankie! :smile2:

You too chesilbeach! :smile2: 

Have a great year of :readingtwo:

You too, Inver! :smile2: I hope you will like Big Little Lies when you get to it :) 

Interesting, great lists frankie!   Happy reading!  :D:readingtwo:

Ditto, pontalba, ditto! :D I hope this will be a great year for one and all!  :readingtwo:

I'm scared of If On a Winter's Night a Traveler 

Me too :unsure:  :hide:

Think you might get to Pillars of the Earth this year?

Oh boy, most likely not :D I can't say I'm looking forward to reading it, it's huge! I can't remember why I bought the book in the first place. I know it's supposed to be good but ... I don't know if it'll be my cup of tea! I might be wrong though. Need to give it a chance at some point, but that point ain't soon... :blush: 

I have Water for Elephants on my list for 2016 too

Happy New Year!

I've had the copy of WfE for years... It's really high time I read the book. I remember it been such a popular and well liked book on her! 

Happy New Year to you too, and have an awesome reading year! :smile2: 

For some unknown reason I've set myself a ridiculous reading challenge on Goodreads!! I think I got confused .. I was at my mum and dad's and stabbing things into my phone. Possibly it was the wine and excess of chocolate etc .. some sort of self induced fug anyway. It's a higher amount than I managed last year and I thought I'd done particularly well. God knows what possessed me to set it so hugh. Goodreads will be jabbing me all year to tell me I'm behind   It did this the year before last until I thought I'd do someone an injury 

Wine induced book reading optimism! :lol: 'Yesh mheethinks I hwill read, letsshhayyy, twoo hunnerd books thissh year, soundss 'bout rite!!' :lol:

No need to panic yet, 130 books is totally doable! :yes: It's good to be optimistic! And if GR starts bugging you about it, you can always go back and change the total to a smaller number. Or higher, just to stick it to GR :D

I could change it I suppose but that would say 'failure' before I've even started. No .. I'm stuck with it now and will be running to catch up all year!! Bother!!  

Where is it at right now? Are you ahead of schedule or where you're supposed to be at? You might want to take a screen shot of the sight... :giggle2:

PS: I definitely didn't read more books from my TBR than I acquired last year  

Oh boy :blush: Well there's always the current year, and the current year's only just started!  :doowapstart:

I really thought I had already posted here! Happy reading in 2016 Frankie! Looking forward to nabbing lots more reading suggestions off you 

Happy reading to you, too, Nollaig! :smile2:

Oh wow! Totally in awe of your lists and the management that has gone into them! All those books and lists would boggle my mind. Really glad to see The Girl In A Swing on your list of books to read this year. I really enjoyed it though I didn't quite understand it. I'd be interested in your comments and am almost tempted to re-read it in readiness for them 

Thank you for your kind words! And oh dear, you've gone and mentioned The Girl in a Swing :D The thing is, I bought it from the library for very little money and fully intended to read it. Then I had to move, and gave away a lot of books, and TGiaS was one of those books. Then I found another copy of it at some library for free, and snatched that one. And then I had to move again... But I can't remember whether I kept the copy this time, or whether I gave that one away as well :blush: I should look for it! I do want to read the book some day... I've heard interesting things about it. 

I bow down to your lists Frankie!

Have a wonderful year

Thanks Alexi, I hope you have a wonderful year, too! :smile2:

I think I've come up with my sole reading challenge for the year: read more books off the TBR than you acquire! I don't think I've done this not once since I joined the forum. Yes, this will be the one thing that I'm going to try and succeed in. :yes:

^ This will be my only real challenge for the year, I think, (plus trying to read 100 books but that's just an idea and I won't panic about it or stress over it) but there's another thing I'd really like to try this year, finally. The Book Box thing! I had a Book Box last year, but didn't read one book from it! This year I'd really like to try to do one or two at least. 

The way I want to go about it is that whichever book comes up, I won't let myself wonder whether I'd like it or not: I shall pick it up and start reading it and see if it fits my mood. If it does, great, then I'll read the whole thing. If it doesn't, I don't want to force it, because that's no fun. I'm very much of a mood reader, and I'd rather abandon a book and give it another try at a later point in life when it stands a chance to interest me. 

Last year I had a different sort of box, but when I moved and went over my books and removed some from my collection, I had to go over the book titles in the box, too, and that prompted me to switch into another box. It was a box with some shower related things: scrubs and stuff. What I liked about it was that there was a 'window' in the box so one could see what was inside: little pieces of paper with book titles! :smile2: However, when I moved, the plastic window was torn a bit and I've been needing to sort it out for a while now... I finally got around to it a few days ago. I'd bought some tape from a shop and it occurred to me that as I liked the tape, I could just tape the window shut. The tape says 'det er for vildt' which is Danish and means 'it is too wild' :D

Here are pictures, before and after: 

post-4458-0-22200200-1452438192_thumb.jpg

post-4458-0-89136400-1452438215_thumb.jpg

#1. A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig 

From AmazonYou are about to read the true story of Father Christmas.

It is a story that proves that nothing is impossible.

A Boy Called Christmas is a tale of adventure, snow, kidnapping, elves, more snow, and a boy called Nikolas, who isn't afraid to believe in magic.

Thoughts: This book was waiting for me at my apartment when I got back from the Christmas holidays! It was a present from poppyshake, thank you very much!  :flowers2:

For many years while I've been on the forum, I've envied the people who have had some Christmas novel or another, a long time favorite of theirs, to read in the days leading to Christmas. I mean, what a great way to get into the spirit of things! Some read A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens, but I personally didn't much enjoy the book when I read it a few years ago... And I don't think I have any Christmassy books on my TBR...

Well, I'm now happy to say I have finally found a novel that I can re-read and enjoy during Christmas! :smile2: It can be my own Christmas tradition... The book was a really lovely telling of a sweet boy, and the story of Father Christmas. The book was rather magical: it was so lovely and yet it wasn't just a happy-go-lucky fairy tale: there were things in the novel that made me upset, sad and afraid, too. I really liked how the book went to a lot of different places that I did not see coming at all :D And there was some LOL humor there, too :D I specifically liked

the wee humor :D 

I would have enjoyed the book any way, but of course I'm quite loved up by the fact that the story takes place in Finland :wub:

Last but not least: what a gorgeous book cover! :wub: I absolutely adore it! What a great addition to my book collection in every way!

Thank you poppyshake for the wonderful read and book! :smile2:

4/5

Edited by frankie

#2. Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch

From GoodreadsWhen a medical procedure goes horribly wrong and famous actor Ralph Meier winds up dead, Dr. Marc Schlosser needs to come up with some answers. After all, reputation is everything in this business. Personally, he’s not exactly upset Ralph is gone, but as a high profile doctor to the stars, Marc can't hide from the truth forever. 

It all started the previous summer. Marc, his wife, and their two teenage daughters spend a week at the Meier’s summer home on the Mediterranean with Ralph, his wife and mother-in-law, and film director Stanley Forbes and his girlfriend. They quickly settle in for days of sunshine, wine tasting, and trips to the beach, but when a violent incident disrupts the idyll, darker motivations are revealed, and suddenly no one can be trusted. As the ultimate holiday soon turns into a nightmare, the circumstances surrounding Ralph’s later death begin to reveal the disturbing reality behind that summer’s tragedy.

Thoughts: My third Herman Koch novel. I got into it rather well and was looking forward to the usual Koch novel. Towards the end I felt like the story was lacking; that there weren't as many plot twists as is usual for Koch's novels. I was getting ready to be disappointed... But then there it was, the usual game changer. Thank goodness! :D But I felt like I'd already been disappointed, even though I really hadn't been... :blush: What an odd feeling!

Of the three (SHwSP, Dear Mr. M and The Dinner), this was my least favorite, but that doesn't really mean a thing. I know some might (and have) preferred this to the others. What's more important is that Koch's novels aren't clear-cut, and the point of the novels is not to like the characters and/or to be able to relate to them. It's about presenting a situation, looking at it from different perspectives and then throwing a few twists in. It's the moral dilemmas. It's the evil that lurks in the minds of the common, normal people. 

For some reason I never give Koch's novels very high ratings. I mean I like the novels, but for some reason I just don't rate them very high at first, and later I regret it. I think I gave The Dinner 3/5 initially, and after having finished it, the book has really stayed with me, and now I think it's brilliant, and I would now give it 5/5. But I don't like to change my ratings afterwards... This is not a problem for me, it's just that I don't want other people to be fooled by my seemingly low rating of Koch's novels. I do like them indeed, and would recommend them! :smile2:

3/5

Edited by frankie

#4. The Square by Rosie Millard

Blurb: Jane has the ideal life: loving husband, beautiful house and delightful son. Her fashionable dinner parties are perfect - and so are her secret assignations with her neighbour's husband, Jay.

From Tracey and her 'New Money' lottery winnings to eccentric artist Philip and his pornographic portraits, the residents of North London's most privileged enclave The Square are a very satisfied bunch.

To raise money for communal fencing, the Residents' Association decides to hold a Talent Show, produced by Jane and hosted by TV celebrity Alan Makin. But when the show lurches into public disarray, reputations are shattered and everyone has to learn to live with a far less glossy reality than before. 

Thoughts: This is a novel I picked up on the library's new books section. I liked the premise and thought it might be a fun read. I did like it to a certain extent, and even snorted a few times (three, tops), but it sort of fell short in the end I'm afraid. The characters were flat, there was nothing delightfully original in the story and all in all, I don't think I would have missed anything if I'd stopped half way through and not finished the novel. A 3/5 might thus seem too much for the book, but I did like it more than 2/5's worth... I'd give it a 2,5/5 if I did halves, but as I don't, 3/5 it will be. (So that's a very strong 3/5 for Summer House with Swimming Pool in comparison :D

3/5

Edited by frankie

Great reviews :)!

It's interesting you give Koch's books lower ratings at first, but they tend to go up for you in time. It's a shame this wasn't your favourite by him, but I'm glad you liked some of it at least. Hopefully you'll grow more fond of it with time. I intend to read this one at some point too, I'll let you know what I think when I get to it.