Lauraloves Reads 2016

lauraloves

29)Divergent - Veronica Roth

62ca6872fc26b0a8c96d4481522b0161.jpg

Synopsis - The first book in the DIVERGENT series that has swept the globe – selling millions of copies world-wide.

In the world of Divergent, society is divided into five factions – Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity and Erudite. Every year, all sixteen-year-olds must select the faction to which they will devote the rest of their lives. For Beatrice Prior, the decision is between staying with her family and being who she really is. Her choice shocks everyone, including herself.

During the initiation that follows, Tris and her fellow initiates undergo extreme physical tests of endurance and intense psychological simulations, with devastating consequences. As initiation transforms them, Tris must determine who her friends really are – and whether she can trust the man who both threatens and protects her.

Because Tris has a deadly secret. And as growing conflict threatens to unravel their seemingly perfect society, this secret might save those she loves… or it might destroy her.

My Thoughts - I've had this book on my wishlist and TBR for ages but I'd been putting it off as I didnt want to be disappointed. I needent have worried as this book is brilliant. I was totally hooked into the storyline of it and the author made it almost seem belivable that what I was reading was an actual place.The plot lines were fantastic with lots of twists and turns in it. I'm disapointed for not reading this book before but I've got another two to look forward to now and I cant wait to read them too.

Rating - 5/5

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you :) Have you seen the movie? Im toying with the idea of watching it but I also might wait and read the books first :)

I have seen the movies Divergent and Insurgent. I think reading the books first would be nicer, but then I prefer the books over the movies. Actually the first movie stays quite close to the first book, but the second movie is quite a bit different, so I would recommend to at least read the second book before watching the second movie (and the same for the third book and the third / fourth movie, but I haven't seen the third yet and the fourth hasn't been released, I think). I still liked the second movie though, but don't go in expecting it to be like the book (or the book like the movie).

I love that cover of Divergent

Its so pretty - the only issue I have now is getting the other two covers to match as I've got a bit of a thing about my book covers matching :)

I have seen the movies Divergent and Insurgent. I think reading the books first would be nicer, but then I prefer the books over the movies. Actually the first movie stays quite close to the first book, but the second movie is quite a bit different, so I would recommend to at least read the second book before watching the second movie (and the same for the third book and the third / fourth movie, but I haven't seen the third yet and the fourth hasn't been released, I think). I still liked the second movie though, but don't go in expecting it to be like the book (or the book like the movie).

I think I'll read all the books first then and watch the movies then  - I do prefer it that way. I think one of the only times I've done movie then book was The Hunger Games and then I wished I'd have read first then watched. Although that reminds me - I've still not seen Hunger Games #3 and #4!

Its so pretty - the only issue I have now is getting the other two covers to match as I've got a bit of a thing about my book covers matching :)

I know what you mean - I once spent about fifty euro getting a trilogy with my favourite set of covers sent from America because they weren't available here. I'm mad, I know! :giggle:

I know what you mean - I once spent about fifty euro getting a trilogy with my favourite set of covers sent from America because they weren't available here. I'm mad, I know! :giggle:

Not mad at all - I've been waiting for a good year or so to finally find the final Mortal Instruments book in the same cover as the ones I already had and happened to stumble over it in Waterstones yesterday. OH thought I was mad as I was so happy :P

If you are, so am I.  I did something similar with the Laurie R King 'Mary Russell' paperbacks, because the American covers and bindings were so much more attractive than the English versions.

I like having matching covers too, but I can live with non-matching - the worst thing is if they change the cover design halfway through a series, so annoying!

I agree! That is so annoying :(. I also dislike it when they change size halfway through a series. I like my books of one series to be the same size.

For me it really depends on the price of the matching cover. I won't buy it if it's insanely more expensive or hard to get, compared with the other cover. If there's not much price difference, I much prefer the matching cover (unless I like the second cover more perhaps). I don't have the money to go for really expensive options or anything like that.

I like having matching covers too, but I can live with non-matching - the worst thing is if they change the cover design halfway through a series, so annoying!

I hate that! Or if you manage to get the whole series then they bring out prettier covers!

I agree! That is so annoying :(. I also dislike it when they change size halfway through a series. I like my books of one series to be the same size.

For me it really depends on the price of the matching cover. I won't buy it if it's insanely more expensive or hard to get, compared with the other cover. If there's not much price difference, I much prefer the matching cover (unless I like the second cover more perhaps). I don't have the money to go for really expensive options or anything like that.

I hate the different size books too - I always think they look so odd on the shelf haha!

30) Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince - J. K. Rowling

51P530HM6CL.jpg

Synopsis - 'In a brief statement on Friday night, Minister for Magic Cornelius Fudge confirmed that He Who Must Not Be Named has returned to this country and is once more active. "It is with great regret that I must confirm that the wizard styling himself Lord - well, you know who I mean - is alive and among us again," said Fudge.' These dramatic words appeared in the final pages of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. In the midst of this battle of good and evil, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince takes up the story of Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, with Voldemort's power and followers increasing day by day

My Thoughts - I've been re-reading the Harry Potter series over the course of the year and I'm sad to say I'm nearly through the books. This isnt one of my favourites of the series but it does explain an awful lot. Draco Malfoy is explored as a character and so is Snape. Its very heavy on Voldemorts past too with Harry having his private lessons with Dumbledore in this book. There are a lot of deaths in this book, lots of falling in loves in this book and lots of growing up. The characters do seem to grow up over the course of this book. Overall its a great book even if its not one of my favourites!

Rating - 5/5

Which one is your fave Laura? Mine is HP&the Goblet of Fire .. though I have a great love for HP&the Prisoner of Azkaban too. Well, I love them all really, so much to enjoy in each story. Glad you're enjoying your re-reads :) Only one left :(  

Which one is your fave Laura? Mine is HP&the Goblet of Fire .. though I have a great love for HP&the Prisoner of Azkaban too. Well, I love them all really, so much to enjoy in each story. Glad you're enjoying your re-reads :) Only one left :(  

Azcaban is my favourite of all time :) Im a little gutted that theres just the one left now :(

I'm glad you're enjoying re-reading the series. Harry Potter & the Half-Blood Prince isn't my favourite either but it's still a very enjoyable book. Only one left to go!

Yep just the one :( I'm waiting for my OH to catch up before I start the last one - hes listening to them on audiobook :)

I think Azkaban is my favourite.

Same here :)

31)When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit - Judith Kerr

076.jpg

Synopsis - Partly autobiographical, this is first of the internationally acclaimed trilogy by Judith Kerr telling the unforgettable story of a Jewish family fleeing from Germany at the start of the Second World War

Suppose your country began to change. Suppose that without your noticing, it became dangerous for some people to live in Germany any longer. Suppose you found, to your complete surprise, that your own father was one of those people.

That is what happened to Anna in 1933. She was nine years old when it began, too busy with her schoolwork and toboganning to take much notice of political posters, but out of them glared the face of Adolf Hitler, the man who would soon change the whole of Europe – starting with her own small life.

Anna suddenly found things moving too fast for her to understand. One day, her father was unaccountably missing. Then she herself and her brother Max were being rushed by their mother, in alarming secrecy, away from everything they knew – home and schoolmates and well-loved toys – right out of Germany…

My Thoughts - I've had this book on my wishlist for ages and I finally got around to buying and reading it this yeat. It was brilliant and I cant believe that I left it this long to read it. Its sort od semi-autobiographical and it will be interesting to compare the authors life to this book and see the simularities. Any book about the second world war/nazi Germany is always very much enjoyed by me as its my favouite historical period. Its the first book in the trilogy and I've already added the second book to my wishlist - just hope its as good as the first!

Rating - 5/5

It sounds like an interesting premise, though personally historical fiction isn't one of my favourite genres. I'm glad you liked the book so much :).

thank you :) I'm not a fan of historical fiction much either - just the second world war which is a bit strange haha! :)

When I first read Half Blood Prince, I was completely electrified by it. It is my favourite HP novel by far because it gave us so many answers about the past of many of the characters, and then it had that, at the time, completely shocking ending. I like the dark ones, though. :)

When I first read Half Blood Prince, I was completely electrified by it. It is my favourite HP novel by far because it gave us so many answers about the past of many of the characters, and then it had that, at the time, completely shocking ending. I like the dark ones, though. :)

:) It is one of the best books for answering all the questions - so looking forward to re-reading the last book now though :)

32)City of Fallen Angels - Cassandra Clare

51nNlbsmsRL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Synopsis - Discover more secrets about the Shadowhunters as they fight to protect the world from demons in the fourth book in the internationally bestselling series. To love is to destroy... The Mortal War is over, and Clary Fray is home in New York, excited about all the possibilities before her. She's training to become a Shadowhunter and – most importantly of all – she can finally call Jace her boyfriend. But her happiness has come at a price... Read all the sensational books in The Shadowhunter Chronicles: The Mortal Instruments, The Infernal Devices, Tales from the Shadowhunter Academy, The Bane Chronicles, The Dark Artifices, The Last Hours and The Shadowhunter’s Codex.

My Thoughts - The is the 4th book in the Mortal Instruments series and to be honest its taken me far to long to pick up this book. I loved the first three and I'm so pleased to say that I loved this book too. It was wonderful to revisit all the characters and storylines as before and it explained what had happened before in previous books so well - I was pleased because it had been so long in between reading the 3rd and 4th that I was a little bit lost in regards to plot but the explainations were really good and it really helped me get stuck back into the series. The author of this series is so good at twists and turns in the plot lines and this book was no different. Some parts I had to read two or three times to make sure I was reading it right! I definitaly wont be leaving it so long to read book #5 especially as the book left on a massive cliffhanger! A brilliant read.

Rating - 5/5