Lauraloves Reads 2016

lauraloves

I've been putting the series off as well - your review is tempting me...!

Oh you have to read it - I've just started the second book in the series and thats hooked me in too. 

Welcome back Laura! Hope 2016 is a great year for you :) 

Thank you :) same to you :)

I was really pleasantly surprised by The Hunger Games trilogy. I didn't think it'd be my cup of tea at all, but I found myself quite gripped. The film adaptations are really good (& true to the book) too.

I'd already seen the first one in the series but am going to have to re-watch now I understand whats going on! 

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3) Quidditch Through The Ages - J. K. Rowling

51uow9fdXcL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Synopsis -The most checked-out book in the Hogwarts Library, and a volume no Quidditch player or Harry Potter fan should be without!

If you have ever asked yourself where the Golden Snitch came from, how the Bludgers came into existence, or why the Wigtown Wanderers have pictures of meat cleavers on their robes, you need QUIDDITCH THROUGH THE AGES. This invaluable volume is consulted by young Quidditch fans on an almost daily basis.

Proceeds from the sale of this book will go to Comic Relief, who will use your money to continue improving and changing lives -- work that is even more important and astonishing than the three-and-a-half-second capture of the Golden Snitch by Roderick Plumpton in 1921.

My Thoughts - This was the final book for me in the Hogwarts Library set that I was given for Christmas. I really enjoyed this book and it was really fascinating reading about the history of Quidditch. I'd love to spend a few moments in JK Rowlings head as it must be a fantastic imagination.

Rating - 4/5

My Thoughts - This was the final book for me in the Hogwarts Library set that I was given for Christmas. I really enjoyed this book and it was really fascinating reading about the history of Quidditch. I'd love to spend a few moments in JK Rowlings head as it must be a fantastic imagination.

Rating - 4/5

Not a totally related point, but your comment reminded me I was watching a programme about Peter Kay last night, and JK was interviewed as a friend of his, and she talked about just sitting in the car with him on a journey, chatting and listening to the radio, and I just thought I couldn't imagine a car trip I'd like to take more than sat in the back of the car listening to them chat! :lol:

I agree, she has a fantastic imagination! I couldn't have thought of all that. I'm glad you liked all three books in the Hogwarts Library set :).

They were brilliant and so pretty! Just need to find a place to keep them now!

Not a totally related point, but your comment reminded me I was watching a programme about Peter Kay last night, and JK was interviewed as a friend of his, and she talked about just sitting in the car with him on a journey, chatting and listening to the radio, and I just thought I couldn't imagine a car trip I'd like to take more than sat in the back of the car listening to them chat! :lol:

Wow that would be a great car journey - would have to be a nice long one! 

4) The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - Suzanne Collins

Cover-catching-fire.jpg

Synopsis -After winning the brutal Hunger Games, Katniss Everdeen returns to her district, hoping for a peaceful future. But Katniss starts to hear rumours of a deadly rebellion against the Capitol. A rebellion that she and Peeta have helped to create. As Katniss and Peeta are forced to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. Unless Katniss and Peeta can convince the world that they are still lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying\. The terrifying sequel to The Hunger Games.

​My Thoughts - I am really getting into this book series and I wish that it had loads more books as it is so good. Its quite hard to write my thoughts without spoiling the plot but its just as good as the first. I've already started the third and can't wait to read more.

Rating - 5/5 

I'm so glad you liked it :D! It's hard to talk about it without spoilers, that's true. You could use spoiler tags? Anyway, I really like this series too. I hope Mockingjay will be enjoyable for you too.

That's a good idea - I'll probably do a spoiler review of the series once I've read Mockingjay although I'm probably one of the last people to read the series :P

That's a good idea - I'll probably do a spoiler review of the series once I've read Mockingjay although I'm probably one of the last people to read the series :P

I look forward to read the review :). Nothing wrong with that, I think we're all one of the last people to read certain books, one can't read everything straight away!

I look forward to read the review :). Nothing wrong with that, I think we're all one of the last people to read certain books, one can't read everything straight away!

Hehe that is true - gutted I didnt read anything last night - little one was refusing to sleep yesterday and was up until late so by the time he nodded off I followed hehe! Fingers crossed he goes to sleep tonight early so  I can read :)

Hehe that is true - gutted I didnt read anything last night - little one was refusing to sleep yesterday and was up until late so by the time he nodded off I followed hehe! Fingers crossed he goes to sleep tonight early so  I can read :)

I hope you'll be able to do some reading :).

Popped into The Works yesterday and came out with these three - love the 3 for £5 offer.

• Unspeakable - Abbie Rushton
  • With a Friend Like You - Fanny Blake
  • The Lake of Dreams - Kim Edwards

I hope you enjoy all of these, sounds like a great offer :D.

• 5 weeks later...

5) Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

SynopsisAgainst all odds, Katniss Everdeen has survived the Hunger Games twice. But now that she's made it out of the bloody arena alive, she's still not safe. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge... The thrilling final instalment of this ground-breaking trilogy promises to be one of the most talked-about books of the year.

My Thoughts - This is the last book in the Hunger Games trilogy and to be honest I pretty much soaked up the entire series very quickly. In this third book it kind of has a different agenda to the first two. I'm not sure if its because the plot is slightly different or if the character of Katniss has changed a lot due to everything that has happened but this book was different to the previous two. I enjoyed it very much but not quite as much as the first two. There are still some major plot twists in this books too - some that I couldn't quite believe were happening. I absolutely loved this series and I can't believe I left it so long to read. Its fantastic and I'll definitely be reading again. 

Rating - 5/5

6)The Lake of Dreams - Kim Edwards

Synopsis - The darkest secrets are the ones we hide from ourselves. . . 

Ten years ago, traumatized by her father's death, Lucy left her home and her country. Now, she returns to her family's rambling lakeside home to lay old ghosts to rest. 

Sleepless one night, Lucy makes a momentous discovery. Locked in a moonlit window seat is a collection of family heirlooms - objects whose secrets no one was ever supposed to find. Piecing together her family's true history, she realises that the story she has always been told was a fiction . . . 

Mesmerizing and haunting, The Lake of Dreams is a startling story of family secrets and lies, lost love and redemption, and of the many pieces and puzzles that make up a life.

My Thoughts - I picked up this book at the start of the year and thought it sounded really good. Unfortunately I just couldn't get into it at all. I kept on trying to get into this but I just couldn't. It didnt keep my attention and I just kept on having to re-read bits :(

Rating - 1/5

I'm glad you enjoyed The Hunger Games Trilogy :)! I liked Mockingjay a bit less than the first two books, but it was still pretty good.

Awww sorry you didn't enjoy The Lake of Dreams :(.

I hope your next read will be better!

Thank you :) Thats exactly how I felt about Mockingjay - it was still amazing but the first two books outdid the last!

I'm reading Just William at the minute - with the week I've had I'm enjoying it a lot!

Hi everyone - after a couple of years away I'm back! long story short I had a little boy - Ethan 14 months - and I had a lot of health issues and problems but I'm really getting back into reading so I thought it was time to come back!

Welcome back, Laura - nice to see you again. :) Happy reading in 2016.

I'm reading Just William at the minute - with the week I've had I'm enjoying it a lot!

It's great fun, isn't it! :)

7) Just William - Richmal Crompton

Synopsis - In Richmal Compton's Just William the Outlaws plan a day of non-stop adventure. The only problem is that William is meant to be babysitting. But William won't let that stop him having fun with his gang - he'll just bring the baby along!

There is only one William. This tousle-headed, snub-nosed, hearty, loveable imp of mischief has been harassing his unfortunate family and delighting his hundreds of thousands of admirers since 1922. This delightful children's classic features a contemporary cover look illustrated by Chris Riddell, along with the original inside illustrations by Thomas Henry, which will bring the antics of the mischievous William Brown to a new generation of children.

My Thoughts - This is the first time I've ever read one of these books - I'm not too sure how they escaped me when I was younger as I think I would have really enjoyed it as a child. I really enjoyed the short stories based on William and his antics with his Outlaws. Some of the stories were quite predictable with what was going to happen but I really enjoyed them anyway. This is quite a big book series and while I'm not sure I'll read them all I'm definitely going to read the next one. I was also surprised with how well the books have stood up to the test of time as this was one thing that I was worried about but I understood and loved it a lot!

Rating - 4/5

I loved Just William too Laura. :)  I quite liked the short story format to the book, and I never read them when I was small, so it was a nice book to read now for the first time.  I'm currently halfway through the next one in the series.

I'm going to save these books for my little one - its definitely going to be a few years before he can read them - he's only 16 months but I have a feeling they would be good bedtime stories!

I'm going to get the next one in the series next week when I go shopping - I can't wait haha!

Happy Reading in 2016 and congrats on your baby !  :D

I wasn`t sold on The Lake of Dreams either ( there was one thing later on which really annoyed me about it, and that coloured the rest of the book for me ). :smile:  

Than you :) Happy reading to you too :D

I'm curious - what happened a bit further on? I gave up in the end so I'm not sure what happened haha! 

Than you :) Happy reading to you too :D

I'm curious - what happened a bit further on? I gave up in the end so I'm not sure what happened haha! 

The author plugs her previous book ; one of the characters is shown reading the book and saying how great it is. Bleah !  :doh: