Lauraloves Reads 2016

lauraloves

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So my mother-in-law gave me a Waterstones voucher for Christmas and these turned up today :D

The Yorkshire Sheperdess - Amanda Owen

Dead until Dark - Charlaine Harris

Divergent - Veronica Roth

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief - Rick Riordan

Assassins Creed Renaissance -Oliver Bowden

The Colour of Magic - Terry Pratchet

How to be a Woman - Caitlin Moran

I quite liked Divergent and The Colour of Magic. I have the Percy Jackson books and the Charlaine Harris books on my TBR. I hope you enjoy all of the books you bought :D.

I quite liked Divergent and The Colour of Magic. I have the Percy Jackson books and the Charlaine Harris books on my TBR. I hope you enjoy all of the books you bought :D.

thank you - I'm a bit on the fence with the Terry Pratchet book as I've never read one but fingers crossed I'll like it :D

I love ​The Colour of Magic​, I think with all the Terry Pratchett books it really depends on your sense of humour if you love them or not but hopefully you will :D

I'll be interested to see what you think of ​Assassin's Creed Renaissance​, I've picked it up before but couldn't decide whether to try it or not. 

Hope you have a great year of reading Laura. :)

Thank you :) I hope you do too :)

I love ​The Colour of Magic​, I think with all the Terry Pratchett books it really depends on your sense of humour if you love them or not but hopefully you will :D

I'll be interested to see what you think of ​Assassin's Creed Renaissance​, I've picked it up before but couldn't decide whether to try it or not. 

I really hope I like the Terry Pratchett book - there is a lot of fans of it so I'm hoping I like it too! I've also played the Assassins Creed games and really enjoyed them so I'm hoping I like these too!

1) Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - J.K Rowling

51iMJ%2BzBW8L._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jp

Synopsis -As featured in the first year set texts reading list in Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is an extensive introduction to the magical beasts that exist in the magical, non-Muggle world. Some of the animals featured in the A-Z you will have already met in the existing Harry Potter books: for example Hippogriff, Flobberworm, Kappa - others you certainly won't: read on to find out exactly what a Chizpurfle is, or why one should always beware of the sinister Lethifold ...As Albus Dumbledore says in his introduction, this set text book by Newt Scamander has given the perfect grounding to many a Hogwarts student. It will be helpful to all Muggles out there too ...On reading the book you will also find that Harry, Ron and (in one instance) Hermione - couldn't resist grafittiing the book, and adding their own personal hand-written opinions.

My Thoughts - I was given a set of these books for Christmas and this is one of the only Harry Potter related books that I hadn't not read. To be honest I don't know why i put off reading it so long as I really enjoyed it. It was interesting to read about the different beasts and placing them in all of the different Harry Potter books was really fun. I most enjoyed reading the little comments in the book from Ron, Harry and Hermione and these really made me laugh out loud. A very enjoyable short Harry Potter related book.

Rating - 4/5

Hi everyone - after a couple of years away I'm back! long story short I had a little boy - Ethan 14 months -

Hi Laura , huge congratulations on little Ethan. That's so strange that he was 14 months when he was born though most babies are very small when they come out :giggle2:

Hi Laura , huge congratulations on little Ethan. That's so strange that he was 14 months when he was born though most babies are very small when they come out :giggle2:

haha! He was certainly very dinky when he was born - don't think I'd fancy giving birth to a 14 month old though! Or being pregnant for that long! :P

Welcome back, again.....and Happy Reading! :)

Thank you :D

I'll be reading some Jodi Picoult and Allie Condie as well this year- I hope you enjoy your reading!

Happy New Year and welcome back :)

I'm a massive Jodi Picoukt fan hehe! I hope you enjoy your reading this year too :D

I'm glad you liked Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them :). I'd like to read it myself some time, but I don't own it (yet). I did read Tales of Beedle the Bard which I borrowed from my brother's girlfriend, and I liked that one. I would recommend it if you haven't read it.

I'm glad you liked Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them :). I'd like to read it myself some time, but I don't own it (yet). I did read Tales of Beedle the Bard which I borrowed from my brother's girlfriend, and I liked that one. I would recommend it if you haven't read it.

Thank you :) I actually got the whole Hogwarts Library set from the OH at Christmas which is the two books above plus Quiddich Through the Ages!. I did really enjoy Tales of Beedle the Bard though i thought that was brilliant! 

Thank you :) I actually got the whole Hogwarts Library set from the OH at Christmas which is the two books above plus Quiddich Through the Ages!. I did really enjoy Tales of Beedle the Bard though i thought that was brilliant!

Ooooh I'm jaleous of your book set :)!

Ooooh I'm jaleous of your book set :)!

I really love it - its so pretty too will have to take a picture :)

Welcome back Laura! Happy reading in 2016, and congrats on the addition to the family/improved health :)

Thank you :) Happy reading too you too  :)

Edited by lauraloves

2) The Hunger Games - Suzanne Collins

3aab81d7a72f40e5a107cb452cf354945ae3d262

Synopsis -Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen regards it as a death sentence when she is forced to represent her district in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV. But Katniss has been close to death before-and survival, for her, is second nature. The Hunger Games is a searing novel set in a future with unsettling parallels to our present. Welcome to the deadliest reality TV show ever...

My Thoughts - I've had this on my shelf for ever but have been put off reading it due to all the hype surrounding it. Well I wish I hadn't waited so long as it was absolutely brilliant and its been a long time since a book has got me so hooked. I just couldn't put it down and read the last half in one sitting. I'm also really pleased that I have the other two books in the series too so I can read these too before long. 

Rating - 5/5 (if I could have given it more I would have!)

I hope you enjoy the next two books :). The third one is a bit different than the first two. But you'll find out. I don't want to spoil anything. I loved all three books, personally.

Thank you - I think I'm going to read the second book once I've finished my current read - I loved it that much hehe!