2008 - 85
2009 - 47
2010 - 43
2011 - 61
2012 - 61
2013 - 69
2014 - 62
2015 - 59

My adventures in graphic novels and comics can be found here.

1. Mind Your Head by Juno Dawson
2. The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness
3. Partials by Dan Wells (audio)
4. Our Endless Numbered Days by Clare Fuller
5. Survivors by Terry Nation (audio)
6. Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige
7. The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin
8. Night School by CJ Daughtery
9. Ex-Isle by Peter Clines (audio)
10. Nod by Adrian Barnes
11. Slasher Girls and Monster Boys (various)
12. Down Station by Simon Morden (audio)
13. Blackfin Sky by Kat Ellis
14. Barricade by Jon Wallace
15. Mort(e) by Robert Repino
16. Sleeping Giants by Sylvain Neuvel
17. A Darker Shade of Magic by VE Schwab
18. Hex by Thomas Olde Heuvelt
19. The Noonday Demon: An Atlas of Depression by Andrew Solomon
20. The Many Selves of Katherine North by Emma Geen
21. Vicious by V.E. Schwab
22. The Fireman by Joe Hill (audio)
23. Born with Teeth by Kate Mulgrew (audio)
24. Alice by Christina Henry
25. The Deepest Cut by Natalie Flynn
26. The Creeper Man by Dawn Kurtagich
27. Alight by Scott Sigler (audio)
28. Unboxed by Non Pratt
29. Red Queen by Christina Alice
30. Dear Charlie by ND Gomes
31. Gilded Cage by Vic James
32. Contagion by Teri Terry
33. The Last One by Alexandra Oliva (audio)
34. The Call by Peadar O'Guilin
35. Trigger Warnings by Neil Gaiman
36. The Long Walk by Stephen King (audio)
37. Defender by G X Todd
38. The Inferior by Peadar O'Guilin
39. The Deserter by Peadar O'Guilin
40. The Idiot Brain by Dean Burnett (audio)
41. Gemina by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
42. Ragdoll by Daniel Cole
43. Caraval by Stephanie Garber
44. The Volunteer by Peadar O'Guilin
45. Six Scary Stories (audio)

46. Doctors: The History of Scientific Medicine Through Biology (audio)

47. Torchwood: The Exodus Code by John Barrowman / Carole Barrowman (audio)

Not boring at all, Michelle. :) I've been tempted to keep mine simple, but I've put so much working into keeping my lists updated that it seems a shame not to keep going.  :blush2:

Will 2016 be the Year of the Graphic Novel for you? :) I'm very much looking forward to reading your thoughts about them. Sandman sounds great. Will definitely be looking into it.

I'm not very good at detailed updating! :) Yes, I would like this to be a year full of Graphic Novels, but I will have to watch the costs! Beth has just done the first part of her graphic design diploma, which was to design a comic strip, so we both have a new insight into just what goes into it. I've always adored illustrated books, and so it's not surprising that I'm enjoying graphic novels so much.

There's just something about The Sandman which has captured me. Neil Gaiman's characters are wonderful, the art work is great, and it's all complex enough to make it a worthwhile cost.. I just know I'll be going back to them.

I'm hopefully going to YALC again this year, but want to spend a bit more time in the Film and Comic Con part - I've not taken much interest in the latter part in previous years, but I will do this year.. and would be great if I could meet some artists or writers which I've read. 

Not boring at all, Michelle. :) I've been tempted to keep mine simple, but I've put so much working into keeping my lists updated that it seems a shame not to keep going.  :blush2:

You could keep your lists updated in your 2015 thread, and just do a very simple one for 2016. I mean you could have like a few posts for 2016, like 'books acquired in 2016' and TBR, but have all the other challenge lists exist only in the 2015 and previous threads. :shrug: Although that sounds like having to do more work or possibly getting things muddled... It would need an organized brain. Doesn't sound like a good idea anymore :D 

Happy reading in 2016 :D I've seen some of the graphic novel discussion going round the place. I've read some Japanese manga (not quite the same but similar) but I find them more difficult to focus on than regular books so Ive never heavily gotten into them - I find it too easy to skim and not pay enough attention to whats going on in the pictures. Hope you enjoy your new venture into reading them! :D

• 2 weeks later...

This bit is quiet at the moment, as most of my reading so far this year has been graphic novels (http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/13882-michelles-graphic-novel-and-comic-adventures/). I'm flicking between a couple of audio books, and I do have a couple of review books to get to - so will hopefully have something for this thread soon!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's been a quiet start to the year - there's been a lot going on, and I've spent most of my time reading my graphic novels. I have quite a few audiobooks which I've started but not finished, Partials was a pretty good YA listen, and I'm about to move on to the second book. 

• 1 month later...

I'm not doing much reviewing at the moment, so just a quick lines for what I've read so far this year... which is actually both quite difficult and quite interesting to do a while after reading..

Mind Your Head by Juno Dawson - this is a book about mental health, aimed at teenagers. It covers lots of different areas, but it isn't in enough detail for me.. but then I don't think that's it's aim. What it does great is to discuss these mental health illnesses/issues in a light hearted, easily accessible format, and it also does a good job of trying to break stigma.

The Rest of Us Just Live Here by Patrick Ness - as much as I love this author, something was putting me off this one.. until I picked it up in a sale, and decided to give it a go. It's a great concept.. when you're reading about the heroes and villains of a story, what exactly is happening to all the others, living their lives around them? This book does just that, and the fantasy type storyline is summarised at the beginning of each chapter (I loved this bit), and then the focus is on our main characters. I enjoyed these characters and their own stories.. but it's not one of favourite Ness books. 

Partials by Dan Wells (audio) - This is the start of a reasonable enough YA series. It's set in a time when 'Partials' have taken over, and killed most humans, and now every baby born dies within hours. We don't know much about Partials, only that they seem to be some sort of human like robots. I have started the second in the series, but am taking a break from it.

Our Endless Numbered Days by Clare Fuller - I think I wrote about this elsewhere. Over all, I think it was a good book, but I have niggles. Quite a few details have stayed with me, so that's always a good sign!

Survivors by Terry Nation (audio) - I've seen the series a while ago, so it was good to read the book. It's an easy read, and one which kept my attention - although I wasn't keen at the little twist at the end.

Dorothy Must Die by Danielle Paige - I know people who loved this book.. I did enjoy it, but it wasn't as outstanding as I'd hoped. I do love the way it turns everything on it's head, and makes you question good and bad. I will get to the next in the series fairly soon I think.. so another good sign.

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - Have just finished this one, still trying to work out what I liked and disliked. The premise was great, but it took a turn I wasn't really expecting towards the end, and there are more books to follow. There was a little disappointment that it wasn't what I expected, but at the same time, I think I am intrigued enough to read the next one. My biggest annoyance was with Noah.. he's rich, gorgeous, wonderful and misunderstood.. something I've read far too often in YA. The big brother was also a bit too perfect. 

So, there has been some good reads so far this year, but nothing really outstanding. Dorothy Must Die is probably my favourite so far.

Added: Just realised I've completely forgotten to add Night School by CJ Daughtery to my list! This is another good addition to the YA genre. The story swept me along, although again, the main male character was a bit too wonderful, and misunderstood.. although more believable and lovable than Noah (see above). There were some interesting ideas, and it's the only one this year that I've recommended to Beth, as I think there's something in it she'd liked, and it's a read which holds your attention.

Edited by Michelle

You sound very similar to me, Michelle - I often go through a patch of good books which I enjoy reading but none of them really shine and you get to a point where you just want to find that one book that elevates itself above the rest.  Hope you find one soon! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Barricade was going quite well, then it just sort of faltered for me - I must try to finish it soon. I also have 2 audiobooks, both by the same author, which I've stalled on. The first, A Head Full of Knives started to get a bit strange and complicated, but being an audiobook, I kept falling asleep, and missing bits. The second, In The Darkness, That's Where I'll Know You is good, and intriguing, but one of the characters is very difficult to read. I don't know if he's just very well written, or over the top, but it's quite disturbing. 

Nod, by Adrian Barnes is apparently a re-release.. it was the cover which caught my attention, and then the synopsis. It starts off really good, but does become a bit strange in places. However, it kept me hooked, and I did like it. 

Slasher Girls and Monster Boys is a short story selection.. all were good, but a couple were really outstanding. These are from YA authors, but they didn't hold back! Loved it! :)

Down Station is another one which was ok.. good enough for me to finish (which is a biggie these days!) but not as outstanding as some of the reviews. I think that maybe it was partly due to the synopsis on audible being a little different to what I actually read.. I would recommend it as an interesting fantasy tale.

Blackfin Sky is one I've had for a while, and I managed to get it signed at YALC.. and yet I've only just picked it up. I had no real idea what to expect, and it turned out to be a rather good, twisty YA read. Actually one of my favourite reads so far!

• 2 weeks later...

Barricade started really well, but kinda lost me towards the end. Mort(e) was an excellent read.. I'm sure I missed lots of deep underlying issues etc, but for me it was a fun, enjoyable read. I'm not sure it will be to everyone's taste, but there was certainly something about which I ended up loving. Favourite read of the year so far! :)