Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2016

Kylie

My Favourite Books

NEW books are those I've added in 2014, 2015 and 2016.

Fiction
Jane Austen Emma
Jane Austen Pride and Prejudice
John Banville The Book of Evidence
Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451
Charlotte Brontë Jane Eyre
Anthony Burgess A Clockwork Orange
Italo Calvino If on a Winter's Night a Traveller
John Connolly The Book of Lost Things
Charles Dickens A Christmas Carol
Charles Dickens Great Expectations
Charles Dickens A Tale of Two Cities
Daphne du Maurier Rebecca NEW
Alexandre Dumas The Count of Monte Christo
Mark Dunn Ella Minnow Pea
Jeffrey Eugenides Middlesex
Michel Faber The Crimson Petal and White
F. Scott Fitzgerald The Great Gatsby
Jonathan Safran Foer Everything is Illuminated
George Grossmith Diary of a Nobody
Joseph Heller Catch-22
Susan Hill The Woman in Black
Jack Kerouac On the Road
Jack Kerouac The Town and the City
Ken Kesey One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Daniel Keyes Flowers for Algernon
Stieg Larsson The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Harper Lee To Kill a Mockingbird
Erich Maria Marquez All Quiet on the Western Front
Margaret Mitchell Gone with the Wind
Vladimir Nabokov Lolita
George Orwell Animal Farm
Ayn Rand Atlas Shrugged
Mary Shelley Frankenstein
John Steinbeck The Grapes of Wrath
John Steinbeck Of Mice and Men
Bram Stoker Dracula
Hunter S. Thompson Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
John Kennedy Toole A Confederacy of Dunces
Oscar Wilde The Picture of Dorian Gray
Tim Winton Cloudstreet
Markus Zusak The Book Thief

Young Adult
Frances Hodgson Burnett The Secret Garden
Stephen Chbosky The Perks of Being a Wallflower
Suzanne Collins Hunger Games (trilogy)
Norton Juster The Phantom Tollbooth
John Marsden Tomorrow, When the War Began (series)
A. A. Milne Winnie the Pooh
Walter Moers The 13 ½ Lives of Captain Bluebear
Lucy M. Montgomery Anne of Green Gables
J. K. Rowling Harry Potter (series)
Mark Twain The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Non-Fiction
Bill Bryson Down Under
Bill Bryson A Walk in the Woods
Byll Bryson A Short History of Nearly Everything
Truman Capote In Cold Blood
AB Facey A Fortunate Life
Tim Flannery The Explorers
Tim Flannery The Birth of Sydney
Anne Frank The Diary of Anne Frank
Helene Hanff 84 Charing Cross Road
Erik Larson Dead Wake NEW

Erik Larson The Devil in the White City NEW
Steven D. Levitt Freakonomics
Sylvia Plath The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
Andrew Solomon The Noonday Demon
Martin Toseland A Steroid Hit the Earth

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Kylieeeeeeee and Happy New Year 2016!!!   :party:    Is it any good? Is it worth the wait? I hope it will be good for you in all possible ways one can imagine! :smile2:  :friends3:

By the way, have you realized that this is your 10th reading log on the forum??  :doowapstart:   It's an anniversary year for you. No pressure :giggle: 

I love the pictures you've incorporated in all of your posts :smile2: 

Priority Reads

Michel Faber Under the Skin
Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen The Rabbit Back Literature Society
Stephen King The Stand
Astrid Lindgren The Brothers Lionheart
Dai Sijie Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress
Jacqueline Susann Valley of the Dolls
John Kennedy Toole The Neon Bible
Augusten Burroughs Magical Thinking

Hurray for these!!! I hope you will enjoy all of them very, very much :smile2: I was sure you'd read Helter Skelter already, though?! :o 

TBR Books on Multiple Lists

This is a totally great idea and if I wasn't so lazy, I'd steal it and run with it and go and use it to my own advantage in my own reading log :D 

Huzzah! I've finished setting up my reading log for 2016. :)

Huzzaaaah! I love Huzzaaaah :D 

Have the most amazing, awesome, mind blowing reading year in 2016, my friend!  :friends3:

By the way, have you realized that this is your 10th reading log on the forum??  :doowapstart:   It's an anniversary year for you. No pressure :giggle:

Ooh, I was excited then, but I checked my profile page and it says I joined in 2007, so one more year to go! It'll be my ninth anniversary next month. :)

I love the pictures you've incorporated in all of your posts :smile2:

Fanks! :)

Hurray for these!!! I hope you will enjoy all of them very, very much :smile2: I was sure you'd read Helter Skelter already, though?! :o

Nope, I just keep talking about it but never get around to it! Helter Skelter and The Stranger Beside Me were the two true crime books that I most wanted to read, and now that I've read the latter, hopefully 2016 will be the year of HS! I desperately want to read Under the Skin this year too. I don't think I'll even wait for the book jar for that one. :)

This is a totally great idea and if I wasn't so lazy, I'd steal it and run with it and go and use it to my own advantage in my own reading log :D

Thanks! I've got some more work to do on that post. I'll be cheekily copying your list of yours and Kay's favourite books (but I believe yours has the books that the three of us have in common, so I'll need to double-check the lists to see if there are others that you both have that I don't, if that makes sense). I've also reinstated my 1001 Children's Books and 501 Must-Read Books, which I haven't included for a few years, so I have to go over those as well!

Have the most amazing, awesome, mind blowing reading year in 2016, my friend!  :friends3:

Thank you! You too, my darling! xo

I've finished my first book of the year: Matt Haig's A Boy Called Christmas. What a lovely, lovely book! I adored the story and the artwork. It was sad in places and quite funny in others (Miika the mouse was a wonderful character!) I'll definitely be re-reading it during many Christmases in the future. :) Thank you so much, Kay.  :friends3:

A few days ago I went through my book jar and removed the books that I read in 2015 so I could top it up with new books that have made the list for 2016. (Most of the books I read off my priority list last year weren't physically chosen from the book jar—I just went ahead and read them, so I had to fish them out of the jar to make sure I don't choose them again this year!)

So yesterday I picked my first 2016 book from the jar: Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. It's a book about American politics and it's supposed to be hilarious. I just hope I can follow it, because I'm only familiar with the bigger names in US politics, and I'm pretty sure this book delves deeper than that. I also don't know much about the levels of government in America (I have trouble sorting out my own! :P) The main reason I'm interested in reading it is because it's a book from my Gilmore Girls challenge. The book is rather long so I'll probably be reading another one or two books alongside it.

I'm quite happy with my start to the reading year. :)

Happy New reading year Kylie! Oh Abnormal Multifaceted Protector of books, your TBR lists make me dizzy. I loved your little pictures though. And your list of new authors you must read. That's a great idea. 

Ooh, I was excited then, but I checked my profile page and it says I joined in 2007, so one more year to go! It'll be my ninth anniversary next month. 

Oh no no, you got me wrong. I know you joined in 2017, so your 10th membership anniversary is next year. What I meant was that this is the 'anniversary' of your reading log careership :D It's your 10th reading log!!  :party:   Sorry if I got you excited for nothing, but I thought it's cool that this will be your 10th reading log :smile2: 

Nope, I just keep talking about it but never get around to it! Helter Skelter and The Stranger Beside Me were the two true crime books that I most wanted to read, and now that I've read the latter, hopefully 2016 will be the year of HS! I desperately want to read Under the Skin this year too. I don't think I'll even wait for the book jar for that one. 

Ah, so that's why. I always thought that of the two (those two are always linked for me. They are a pair, even though they have nothing in common other than that they are about true crime!), you'd read Helter Skelter first because there are so many references to The Beatles :D Good luck with getting to it this year. It's a very compelling read :yes: I think you will enjoy it just as much as TSBM :yes: And Under the Skin is just harrowing! 

Thanks! I've got some more work to do on that post. I'll be cheekily copying your list of yours and Kay's favourite books (but I believe yours has the books that the three of us have in common, so I'll need to double-check the lists to see if there are others that you both have that I don't, if that makes sense). I've also reinstated my 1001 Children's Books and 501 Must-Read Books, which I haven't included for a few years, so I have to go over those as well!

Yep, I do have the short list for the books that we all loved. It's bound to get longer some day, because we have so many TBR books and wishlist books in common, and our tastes are so similar :smile2: Now that you've brought the subject up, I do think it would be cool to do a list of the books you and Kay have in common, as an incentive to make me read the books, too. Oh man you're going to make me work so hard :D Why do you keep coming up with these great ideas for the reading log and stats?!? :D 

I've finished my first book of the year: Matt Haig's A Boy Called Christmas. What a lovely, lovely book! I adored the story and the artwork. It was sad in places and quite funny in others (Miika the mouse was a wonderful character!) I'll definitely be re-reading it during many Christmases in the future. Thank you so much, Kay. 

This will be my first read of the year, too :smile2: I really wanted to read more of it yesterday, and to start the read-a-thon a day early, but I'd already done the summary for the reading log 2015, and I didn't want to change the statistics and double-check everything and make all the necessary changes in the summary, so I made myself wait till it was 2016 :blush: I'm loving the book so far, though!!

So yesterday I picked my first 2016 book from the jar: Al Franken's Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. It's a book about American politics and it's supposed to be hilarious. I just hope I can follow it, because I'm only familiar with the bigger names in US politics, and I'm pretty sure this book delves deeper than that. I also don't know much about the levels of government in America (I have trouble sorting out my own! ) The main reason I'm interested in reading it is because it's a book from my Gilmore Girls challenge. The book is rather long so I'll probably be reading another one or two books alongside it.

What?? It's a book on American politics? Now I'm not interested in it at all... I really liked the sound of the title every time I saw it on the Rory lists but now ... I'm happy I never ordered a copy :D Good luck with it, and keep me posted re: how it's going.

Well done on finishing a book so soon!

I hope you enjoy your Book Jar book :). I am also a bit lost with American politics too (as well as Dutch ones, but other countries' even more so). Good luck!

Thanks Athena! I'm really enjoying it so far. It's very funny. :D

Happy New reading year Kylie! Oh Abnormal Multifaceted Protector of books, your TBR lists make me dizzy. I loved your little pictures though. And your list of new authors you must read. That's a great idea. 

LOL. Thanks James! That thread of must-read authors was a great idea. I'm glad I remembered to link to my reply.

Hope you have a great reading year in 2016, Kylie.  You've done so well on reducing your book buying, so fingers crossed you can keep it up! :D

Thanks Claire! I likely won't be keeping it up this year. I'm going to the book fair next month (it falls on my birthday—how can I not go to a book fair on my birthday?!) So I'll probably be buying more books in one day there than I bought in all of 2015, but I'm OK with that. :)

Have a great year of :readingtwo:

Thanks Inver! You too. :)

Thanks Claire! I likely won't be keeping it up this year. I'm going to the book fair next month (it falls on my birthday—how can I not go to a book fair on my birthday?!) So I'll probably be buying more books in one day there than I bought in all of 2015, but I'm OK with that. :)

That's so nice, I totally understand you want to go then :D.

Well, a book fair on your birthday ... it's only fair to treat yourself! :yes: Especially after such good progress over the last few years :D

Happy Reading in 2016 Kylie! :hug: 

I always love reading your lists :) I particularly like the idea of your 'Priority Reads' list. Definitely helps to concentrate the mind and probably does away with dithering which I could well do with  :blush2: I see lots of authors on your list that I want to read more from this year too :) 

Hope you have an enjoyable reading year xx Enjoy the book fair :D 

Kylie- I forgot to wish you Happy New Year and a good reading year!

I hope you like your new book :)

Thanks Anna! I have a feeling I'll love it. I loved both books I read by Jon Ronson last year, and this is a subject I'm particularly interested in (how the public shames people online who say or do silly things).

Happy New Year Kylie!

I'm half intimidated, half truly envious of your lists! Hope you have a great reading year and book fair

Thanks Alexi. :) I'm rather intimidated by my lists at times! I'll never get through all of my unread books. :(

Happy Reading in 2016 Kylie! :hug: 

I always love reading your lists :) I particularly like the idea of your 'Priority Reads' list. Definitely helps to concentrate the mind and probably does away with dithering which I could well do with  :blush2: I see lots of authors on your list that I want to read more from this year too :) 

Hope you have an enjoyable reading year xx Enjoy the book fair :D 

Thank you, lovely! The 'Priority Reads' list worked quite well last year, so I expect I'll be reading a lot of books from the jar again this year.

Just a little update (mostly for my records).

On Thursday I received three books in the mail:

Carbonel by Barbara Sleigh (a young adult book about a cat—I've started reading it already)

Mark Twain's Notebooks by Mark Twain (was on sale—looks like a lovely book)

Psychology in Minutes by Marcus Weeks (part of a series of small books that briefly discuss various concepts in different subject areas)

It's a quiet time of the year in terms of work, so I'm trying to take advantage by getting a bit of reading done. I'm currently about two-thirds of the way through Al Franken's Lies and Lying Liars Who Tell Them. It's a hilarious look at right-wing politics in America. I'm really enjoying it!

I've read about 75 pages of Carbonel. I think I spotted this while browsing through Goodreads. I don't often go out on a limb and randomly buy a book like this, but it had quite good ratings, and it's about a magical cat, so how could I pass it up? :D It's going reasonably well so far.

I'm also reading through the first compendium of The Walking Dead. It contains the first 48 issues of the comic, and I'm up to #11. I've also started watching the TV series from the beginning, and although I didn't intend this to happen, I'm at roughly the same point in the comics and the show at the moment. I must admit, it's a little confusing! Something happened in the show and I was like 'What? Didn't they already know about that?' and then realised that I must have read it in the comic.  :doh:

In other news, I've taken down my Christmas tree made of books. I took 'aerial' photos of each layer as I removed the books so I can recreate the tree exactly next year. Sometimes I love playing around with my books, but other times I wish I could just click my fingers and have all the books whoosh back into place themselves.  :blush2:

What I meant was that this is the 'anniversary' of your reading log careership :D It's your 10th reading log!!

Ah, that *is* cool! Yay me! :D That reminds me that I still need to go back over my past logs and copy the reviews from there into Goodreads and perhaps my Book Collector software. I started it at some point but I can't remember where I got up to.

Ah, so that's why. I always thought that of the two (those two are always linked for me. They are a pair, even though they have nothing in common other than that they are about true crime!), you'd read Helter Skelter first because there are so many references to The Beatles :D

Those two books are somewhat linked in my mind too. Maybe we keep discussing them together all the time?! I was so pleased to finally read The Stranger Beside Me. :) Hopefully I won't wait as long before reading Helter Skelter.

Yep, I do have the short list for the books that we all loved. It's bound to get longer some day, because we have so many TBR books and wishlist books in common, and our tastes are so similar :smile2: Now that you've brought the subject up, I do think it would be cool to do a list of the books you and Kay have in common, as an incentive to make me read the books, too. Oh man you're going to make me work so hard :D Why do you keep coming up with these great ideas for the reading log and stats?!?

Haha! :D Well, I think you were the one who originally wrote the list of the books that the three of us have in common, so I just followed on from that! I've edited the post of the books that are common to various challenge lists. And I've edited my post containing your and Kay's favourite books. I didn't like the formatting I had been using (all the cross-outs made it look really messy), so I've copied your way of just writing read/TBR for each book. It looks much neater now!

What?? It's a book on American politics? Now I'm not interested in it at all... I really liked the sound of the title every time I saw it on the Rory lists but now ... I'm happy I never ordered a copy :D Good luck with it, and keep me posted re: how it's going.

Aw, don't write it off just yet! It's really, really funny and irreverent.

Ah, that *is* cool! Yay me! :D That reminds me that I still need to go back over my past logs and copy the reviews from there into Goodreads and perhaps my Book Collector software. I started it at some point but I can't remember where I got up to.

Yes, it *is* cool!! :cool::D Yay Kylie! Oh dear, it's reminded you of more work you need to do on your lists and stuff. Hey, how about that debut stat? :giggle:

Those two books are somewhat linked in my mind too. Maybe we keep discussing them together all the time?! I was so pleased to finally read The Stranger Beside Me. :) Hopefully I won't wait as long before reading Helter Skelter.

The link is odd... Well it shouldn't be, not that much, but it is. I wonder if I bought the books at the same time. Or is it possible they are both on the Rory list? Or some list. No, they wouldn't be on any other lists. Not on the 1001 Books list, for sure :D I hope you get to HS soon, too. I dare say you will enjoy it :smile2: 

Haha! :D Well, I think you were the one who originally wrote the list of the books that the three of us have in common, so I just followed on from that! I've edited the post of the books that are common to various challenge lists. And I've edited my post containing your and Kay's favourite books. I didn't like the formatting I had been using (all the cross-outs made it look really messy), so I've copied your way of just writing read/TBR for each book. It looks much neater now!

Yeah I may have been the original 'hunter gatherer' but that was only about the books that all three of us had in common. I'm not sure if I would have thought to list the books you two had in common that I haven't yet read. 

I think I copied the read/TBR writing from Kay :lol: I think I may have crossed the read books off at first, like you, but thought it was getting a bit messy :D I'm not sure but I think that's the way it went :D 

Aw, don't write it off just yet! It's really, really funny and irreverent.

I spoke in the heat of the moment. In the heat of my anger. Too much Trump posts on imgur and I'm so turned off by American politics. I didn't mean to imply I'd never read it. I will, at some point... When I've forgiven the book for being about American politics :giggle: I do trust your opinion on it being funny! 

In other news, I've taken down my Christmas tree made of books. I took 'aerial' photos of each layer as I removed the books so I can recreate the tree exactly next year. Sometimes I love playing around with my books, but other times I wish I could just click my fingers and have all the books whoosh back into place themselves.  :blush2:

That is a clever idea! And I have that too, sometimes I also think those things. It's not just you :).