Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2016

Kylie

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ronald Rosbottom When Paris Went Dark (thanks to Anna)

Just saw this- awesome book!

I hope they were good thoughts! ;):D

I'd love love love to go to San Francisco one day! And the rest of California too...and the rest of the country. But I'd definitely start in San Fran (is that what locals call it, or is that a tourist thing?)

We'd be glad to have you :) I think most people call it SF.

Re Letters of Note: I've flicked through it and read a couple of bits and pieces. It looks great, but it's probably something I'll be dipping into rather than reading straight through. I do recommend looking more closely at it. :) It's such a gorgeous book. It practically begs to be allowed to sit on the coffee table so I can pick it up from time to time. :)

I can't remember if I've already mentioned this, but did you know there's also a Lists of Note by the same author? It's an equally beautiful hardcover book and looks equally fascinating. I think I'll put it on my Christmas wish list this year. :)

I have seen it - I might put it on my Christmas wish list too!  :)  I must move the other out from where it is to make it more accessible - I can then dip in and out of it. :)

• 2 months later...

Wow, I haven't posted in this thread for a couple of months. :( My reading has really gone downhill, even though I haven't had much work on lately. I've been spending time cleaning my house, reorganising my library and scanning huge amounts of paperwork so I can get rid of the hard copies.

I didn't finish a single book in September, so I've gone from being on track in my Goodreads challenge to being four books behind. :( I'll try to be better this month. I have several books on the go, so hopefully I'll finish a couple of them soon.

In other news, as some of you know, I've been given permission to direct my first play next year. :) Exciting stuff! I'll be doing Gaslight by Patrick Hamilton.

• 1 month later...

This must be a new record (low): responding to messages two months late. :( Sorry Sari!

Don't worry, my love! I know you've been busy with work and the play and all things! And I'm very slow to get back to you on these ... I thought I'd already replied!! :thud: I'm so behind on reading people's logs on here... :unsure: 

I think the show has nearly ended already. I haven't managed to catch a single episode. I just keep forgetting it's on, and the weekly format probably has something to do with it too.

Oh dear :unsure:  I think I shall google the titles of this year's reading schedule. 

Sometimes when I ring mum I can hear my music in the background. 

:D I wonder if she's boogying to Beatles like it's 1999 :D 

Well, I have as many of the Fandorin books as have been translated into English. It looks like the last several books haven't been translated. I hope that doesn't mean they've stopped translating them. 

Oh crap :(  But I do wonder if the latest books have not been that good and if that's the reason why they've stopped translating them. Was it you or Kay who'd read the second novel and thought it was nothing and clearly not as good as the first novel? :( 

No. From the Book Depository:

'Alain de Botton turns now to look at the manic and peculiar positions that 'the news' occupies in our lives. We invest it with an authority and importance which used to be the preserve of religion - but what does it do for us? Mixing current affairs with philosophical reflections, de Botton offers a brilliant illustrated guide to the precautions we should take before venturing anywhere near the news and the 'noise' it generates. Witty and global in reach, The News will ensure you'll never look at reports of a celebrity story or political scandal in quite the same way again.'

It sounds excellent. He's just published another book too, called The Course of Love. I was going to try not to buy it because I now have about half a dozen of his books to read, but then I read part of an excerpt of the book, and it sounds really great.

That sounds really interesting! Alain de Botton is so intelligent, he intimidates the crap out of me :D And yet his book on Proust was so approachable and I totally loved it! :) 

Producing involves liaising with everyone else and making sure things are on track re sound lighting, publicity, program, props, costumes etc. N has been doing a lot of stuff himself, which is good, but I've been kept busy driving around Sydney to source different props. There's rather a lot involved in this play!

I have no idea how you keep track of everything that you need to keep track of :D I'm sure you must make copious notes!! 

Hmm, not sure. I don't think we ever went to Parramatta, but we would have gone through it on the train on our way into the city. It's halfway between Penrith and Sydney. Woof.

Woof :lol: That cracked me up!! :lol: Yeah, maybe it's just a name I saw on a sign on our way to the city. It just sounds eerily familiar :) 

I miss you loads! Do tell us about your latest book shenanigans! Pretty please? :) Mwaaaah!