Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2016

Kylie

Lots of exciting book news to share! I'll split it into two posts.

Yesterday I went into the city to have lunch with an old work friend. I haven't really been back to my previous workplace since I left around 4 years ago (I worked there for around 12 years). It was so weird to go back! I didn't want to wait in the building's foyer for my friend because I was scared I'd see people I know/knew. :lurker:  Anyway, before I met my friend, I had time for a quick visit to a bookshop, where I found a copy of David Mitchell's Back Story! :D I wanted to go to the huge Dymocks store, but I'd already told Mum I'd go with her one day, and she made me promise I wouldn't go without her. :( I have $20 in rewards points to spend there, and the lovely folks at Dymocks put another $10 on my card for my birthday this month, so I have $30 to spend! Can't wait to spend it. :D

The book fair starts in Canberra tomorrow and I'm beyond excited, as usual! :exc:  Mum will be picking me up at 5 am, which is often the time I go to bed!  :Zzzz: The drive takes around 3 hours (plus a little extra for a quick rest stop) and the book fair opens at 9 am. It's a very popular event and people line up in advance, so I hope to be there by around 8.15 am so I can get a good spot in the line. I must admit that I get a little anxious about it because I hate the thought of all the people in front of me rushing in and getting 'my' books. But it's such a ridiculous thing to worry about. Every book fair I realise that all my worry is for nothing, because the people ahead of me are always interested in different books (usually the more academic stuff, like textbooks), whereas I head to other sections first. And even though there might be a couple of hundred people on the line in front of me, the huge warehouse space swallows them up quickly, and it looks empty by the time I get in there!

To be continued...

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So anyway, I've had some books sitting around for months that I've been wanting to get rid of (duplicates, books I've read but won't read again, books I no longer want to read). I took two big bagfuls to a secondhand bookshop that gives store credit (or sometimes cash) for books. I was hoping to get a bit of cash for the book fair, but they were only doing store credit, so I happily accepted that.

The store owner took some time to go through my books. I'd only taken books in really good condition (which was nearly all of them) or that I thought would be easy for them to sell. It turns out that I chose well (I always knew I'd be a good bookseller!) because he took nearly all of them off my hands and gave me $75 store credit!! Holy heck! I was thinking I'd be happy with about $40, so you can imagine how pleased I was!

So I browsed the shop and found some excellent books. I planned to use half of my store credit today and go back another time to spend the rest, but the book selection was so good that I spent it all in one go (and had to add nearly $10 on top of that  :lol:). The books averaged around $7–$8, and I tried not to buy any that I thought I might find cheaper (or in better condition) at the book fair:

Agatha Christie N or M?

Agatha Christie Ordeal by Innocence

Agatha Christie They Do It with Mirrors

Barbara Demick Nothing to Envy

Anna Funder All That I Am

Lauren Graham Someday, Someday, Maybe

Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #20: Murder and Mendelssohn (now only missing #6 from this series)

Emma Healey Elizabeth is Missing

Jeff Lindsay Dexter's Final Cut

John Elder Robison Look Me in the Eye (Sari, you know who this is, right? I never thought I'd find one of his books!)

I'm particularly happy about the Demick, Graham (as in Lorelei of Gilmore Girls fame!) and Robison books...Oh heck, I'm really happy about all of them! :D

Oh, and I also bought a Trixie Belden quiz book. There were two quiz books published 'back in the day', and they're quite hard to come by. The one I bought is the second book. I already have one of the quiz books, but I couldn't remember which one it was, and I don't appear to have it catalogued anywhere, so I couldn't look it up. :( However, it was only $7 and it was in excellent condition. I'm sure the other one I have has some writing in it, so even if it turns out that I bought a double (which I'm pretty sure I did), the newer one will definitely be the better-quality book of the two. And I can tell you that it's worth a lot more than the $7 I paid for it! A quick eBay search shows the first quiz book selling for US$30, which is over A$40. What a find!

Lastly, I went through a couple of boxes of books I had stashed away in a cupboard. I used to be absolutely obsessed with UFOs and all things paranormal, and in the late 1990s I had quite a big collection of books on these subjects. I think I donated some a while back, but I still have quite a few (more than I remembered), and I've decided that I should finally donate them. I also went through a new-age phase in the early 2000s and have quite a few books from that period of my life, so I'm going to donate those too. I ended up with a large boxful—probably 30+ books. It feels good to be getting rid of so much stuff that has just been hanging around for years, but I'm also a little sad. I couldn't even tell you when my obsession with UFOs stopped (I think it just faded away gradually—I don't even believe anymore :(), but those books were a big part of my life for a long time (I once seriously wanted to become a UFOlogist for a living). I couldn't bear to part with all of them though. I kept about half a dozen of my favourite books on various alien abductions. I may not be a believer anymore, but they're good stories nonetheless! :D

OK, my Mum will be coming to pick me up in less than 5 hours and I still have to pack, organise the books to be donated and clean the house a little. Wish me luck at the book fair! :D

I wish you lots of fun at the book fair :D :D, I hope you come back with lots of great books.

How nice you got so much story credit. I hope you enjoy all your new books :)!

I get what you mean, it can feel quite nice to get rid of things from the past (like your UFO books), but on the other hand they do contain memories.

Hope you have/had a great time at the book fair Kylie :hug: .. can't wait to see your list of books bought :D Well done on raising $75 on your books .. that is excellent .. plus you had the pleasure of picking more books!  :cows::D (that's three less Agatha's you have to look for at the book fair :D)

Half the time the fun is in the browsing but sometimes I wish I knew that Harry Potter spell (is there one? .. if not there should be) where all the books in a store/warehouse/town .. which are on my wishlist .. would just fly directly to me  :blush2:  :D 

I would only use it though in extreme cases of over tiredness/can't be botheredness  :D .. wouldn't want to be knocking Janet & Claire over every time we met up in Waterstone's :D 

Half the time the fun is in the browsing but sometimes I wish I knew that Harry Potter spell (is there one? .. if not there should be) where all the books in a store/warehouse/town .. which are on my wishlist .. would just fly directly to me  :blush2:  :D 

I would only use it though in extreme cases of over tiredness/can't be botheredness  :D .. wouldn't want to be knocking Janet & Claire over every time we met up in Waterstone's :D 

I think it might be 'accio books wishlist'? :D

I can't wait for your report on the book fair!

I stage managed a couple of college plays when I was at uni in Sydney and I found it great fun - although the bit afterwards when I have to go on stage to be presented with flowers I always found awkward. I don't mind being centre of attention for a bit (as long As it doesn't go on too long) but that I found weirdly unbearable!

I'm intrigued how you're going to make The Thirty Nine Steps work though - I've just finished it, and all his dashes across the Scottish moors do take up a lot of the book!

Some emoticons had to be culled *sad face*

Wow, that's fantastic going! I would love something like that here, would be an effective way to swap out books I don't want for ones I do!

Some places let you buy books and then return them for a credit or money. For example, you could buy a book for $5 and get $2 credit when you return. A bit like a paying library, I guess? (Which begs the question: why wouldn't you just go to the library?) A couple of places I've been to don't offer much at all, but the shop I went to is the best one I know of. :)

I wish you lots of fun at the book fair :D :D, I hope you come back with lots of great books.

How nice you got so much story credit. I hope you enjoy all your new books :)!

I get what you mean, it can feel quite nice to get rid of things from the past (like your UFO books), but on the other hand they do contain memories.

Thanks Athena. :) Yep, I've had a great couple of days. Details to follow shortly!

Hope you have/had a great time at the book fair Kylie :hug: .. can't wait to see your list of books bought :D Well done on raising $75 on your books .. that is excellent .. plus you had the pleasure of picking more books!  :D (that's three less Agatha's you have to look for at the book fair)

Half the time the fun is in the browsing but sometimes I wish I knew that Harry Potter spell (is there one? .. if not there should be) where all the books in a store/warehouse/town .. which are on my wishlist .. would just fly directly to me  

I would only use it though in extreme cases of over tiredness/can't be botheredness  :D .. wouldn't want to be knocking Janet & Claire over every time we met up in Waterstone's 

Thanks Kay! :D I did quite well on the Agatha front. It was the first section I went to, and there was already a guy there digging through them. I don't know if he got any of 'my' books, but I snagged eight, so I was very happy. I was a bit surprised someone was there already. We got on the line about 40 minutes before it opened, and there were probably at least 100 people in front of us, but the really early birds seem to go more for the rare books, academic textbooks and CDs.

I think it might be 'accio books wishlist'? 

Ooh, I wish I had tried that!

I stage managed a couple of college plays when I was at uni in Sydney and I found it great fun - although the bit afterwards when I have to go on stage to be presented with flowers I always found awkward. I don't mind being centre of attention for a bit (as long As it doesn't go on too long) but that I found weirdly unbearable!

I'm intrigued how you're going to make The Thirty Nine Steps work though - I've just finished it, and all his dashes across the Scottish moors do take up a lot of the book!

Thank goodness I don't receive flowers every show! I received some on the first show I did, but I think that was because the cast and crew all knew that my Dad had recently been diagnosed with terminal cancer (we found out about his brain tumour the night before opening night, so I missed the first couple of shows, and just returned for the evening for the last few). I think they just felt sorry for me and wanted to express their support. I only found out about the presentation a few moments before I was called on stage, so I only had a few seconds to be utterly terrified! :D Usually during the curtain call the cast gestures towards the wings and claps to show their thanks to the SM. I'm happier with that. :)

Happy birthday, dear Kylie!  :hug:  

Looking forward to seeing what books you have bought at the book fair.  :)

Thank you Janet! Your wish is my command...

The bookfair went very well indeed! Mum and I left home at 5 am and made good time getting there. We got on the line about 40 minutes before it opened, but there were still loads of people in front of us. The book selection was as brilliant as ever (I've never been disappointed) and the prices actually seemed to be a little cheaper than usual, which was surprising, as the proceeds go to a charity that I love to support (a crisis hotline for depressed/suicidal people).

Here's the list (and pics) of the fiction books I bought. Any that have '(n/a)' next to them are ones that I already own but bought new copies of (usually because they are nicer or better quality than the ones I already own—yes, I have a problem!) I avoided buying doubles of about half a dozen books after I checked my lists and realised I already owned them, but I still accidentally ended up with around three duplicates (and I actually bought the same book twice on one day! :doh:)

Fiction (61)
Boris Akunin Pelagia #1: Pelagia and the White Bulldog
Kate Atkinson Case Histories (n/a)
Kate Atkinson Life After Life
Paul Auster The Book of Illusions
JG Ballard Rushing to Paradise
JG Ballard The Unlimited Dream Company
Julilan Barnes Arthur & George
Anthony Burgess Little Wilson and Big God
MR Carey The Girl with All the Gifts
Angela Carter Burning Your Boats
Agatha Christie The Complete Short Stories - Hercule Poirot
Agatha Christie Death Comes at the End
Agatha Christie Five Little Pigs
Agatha Christie Hallowe’en Party
Agatha Christie The Hollow
Agatha Christie The Pale Horse
Agatha Christie Poirot’s Early Cases
Agatha Christie Sad Cypress
Edmund Crispin The Moving Toyshop
Patrick DeWitt Undermajordomo Minor
Daphne du Maurier Don’t Look Now and Other Stories
Daphne du Maurier Hungry Hill
Daphne du Maurier Rebecca (n/a)
Umberto Eco Foucault’s Pendulum
Dave Eggers The Circle
Sebastian Faulks Jeeves and the Wedding Bells
Jasper Fforde Last Dragonslayer #3: The Eye of Zoltar
Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #6: Blood and Circuses
Nick Harkaway The Gone-Away World
Victor Hugo Les Miserables
Jonas Jonasson The One Hundred Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
Jack Kerouac Big Sur
Stephen King Misery
John Lanchester Capital
Vernon Lee The Virgin of the Seven Daggers
HP Lovecraft The Call of Cthulu and Other Weird Stories (n/a)
Isaac Marion Warm Bodies
John Marsden South of Darkness
Ann M Martin BSC #91: Claudia and the First Thanksgiving
Ann M Martin BSC #109: Mary Anne to the Rescue
Ann M Martin BSC #122: Kristy in Charge
Eimear McBride A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing
Walter M Miller A Canticle for Leibowitz (n/a)
Nancy Mitford Christmas Pudding
Haruki Murakami Norwegian Wood (n/a)
Frederik Pohl Gateway
Ayn Rand Atlas Shrugged (n/a)
Philip Roth The Plot Against America (n/a)
Geoff Ryman The Child Garden
Ian Sansom The Norfolk Mystery
Dorothy L Sayers Hangman’s Holiday
Dorothy L Sayers Have His Carcase
Dorothy L Sayers The Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club
Diane Setterfield Bellman & Black
John Steinbeck The Short Novels of John Steinbeck
William Styron The Confessions of Nat Turner
Jonathan Swift A Tale of a Tub, the Battle of the Books and Other Satires
Jeff VanderMeer Annihilation
Timur Vermes Look Who’s Back
Connie Willis Time is the Fire: The Best of Connie Willis
Carlos Ruiz Zafon The Prisoner of Heaven

post-3835-0-49257400-1455373596_thumb.jpg post-3835-0-24814200-1455373548_thumb.jpg

The first pic only shows about half of the non-fiction section and none of the fiction. I felt weird taking photos there, and I also just wanted to hurry on and start looking at the books. :D The photo doesn't do it justice at all.

Non-Fiction (28)
Peter Ackroyd Chaucer
Peter Ackroyd Dickens
Peter Ackroyd London: The Biography
Matthew Battles Library
Les Carlyon The Great War
David Crystal Dr Johnson’s Dictionary
David Crystal The Story of English in 100 Words
Richard Dawkins The Ancestor’s Tale
Richard Dawkins Climbing Mount Improbable
Norman Doidge The Brain’s Way of Healing
Noel Riley Fitch Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation
Simon Garfield Just My Type
Christopher Hitchens Hitch-22 (n/a)
Christopher Hitchens Mortality
Howard Jacobson Whatever It Is, I Don’t Like It
Jack Kerouac Selected Letters 1940–1956
Alberto Manguel The City of Words
Jessica Mitford Hons and Rebels
Jessica Mitford Decca: The Letters of Jessica Mitford (n/a)
Drummond Moir Just My Typo
Philip Nitschke Damned If I Do
Michael Rosen Alphabetical
Ann Rule Green River, Running Red
Carl Sagan Cosmos
Hunter S Thompson Kingdom of Fear (n/a)
Shaun Usher (ed) Letters of Note
Andrew Wilson Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith
Tom Wolfe The Pump House Gang (n/a)

post-3835-0-84693800-1455373792_thumb.jpg

Pic is a bit dark, sorry.

It looks awesome, Kylie!  :o   You've got some great books there too.  :)  Lots of Christies!  :D

Thanks Janet! I was very happy with my Agatha haul. I don't usually find that many! :D Although I've since realised that I already owned the complete Poirot short stories.  :doh:

HEAVEN!!! <3 

Cosmos is on my TBR pile, too. It looks really good! I love Carl Sagan. :D Happy Reading! 

And happy birthday! 

Thanks Abby! My partner actually gave me his old copy of Cosmos a year or so ago, but it was literally falling apart and in very poor condition, and I knew I'd never be able to read it, so I was chuffed to find a copy that was practically brand new. :)

Happy birthday! You've got some wonderful books there! :smile:

Thanks Jessi! :)

Nice haul of books! I loved John Lanchester's Capital when I read it last year....such a brilliant and engaging book. Hope you enjoy it (and the others). :smile:

Thanks BB. I found Capital in the non-fiction section, but it's a fiction book, isn't it? Maybe the volunteers who put out the books were confusing it with that large book of the same name by Thomas Piketty. It's a good thing I tend to browse nearly all of the sections, otherwise I might not have found it!

Thanks BB. I found Capital in the non-fiction section, but it's a fiction book, isn't it? Maybe the volunteers who put out the books were confusing it with that large book of the same name by Thomas Piketty. It's a good thing I tend to browse nearly all of the sections, otherwise I might not have found it!

It's definitely fiction, but I know there are a few books out there with the same name, so like you say, maybe they got confused.

That show sounds fun! Did you enjoy it? The next show we'll be doing (N and I) has many props that need to be moved on and off the stage by non-actors during the show. I'm not sure if I'll have to go onto the stage myself, but I'll do everything I can to avoid it! I'm sure I'll be able to find some willing people to do the running around while I oversee it all. :) It would be so much fun to work with you! We'd have an absolute ball! :D

I can't stand musicals, and it was on my first day at work, too, so I was tired and not looking forward to the whole thing at all. The first 10 minutes were dreadful but then I got into it a bit, because I decided I was there for 2h and 40 minutes and might as well try and enjoy it. The two leads were amazing! It was fun in the end :) 

Sounds like you're truly going to have your hands full with this production and all the props moving on and off during the show! :D The prop handlers were all dressed in black jeans and black hoodies and the lighting was done in a way that they didn't show very well, but you did see them at times. :) 

The store owner took some time to go through my books. I'd only taken books in really good condition (which was nearly all of them) or that I thought would be easy for them to sell. It turns out that I chose well (I always knew I'd be a good bookseller!) because he took nearly all of them off my hands and gave me $75 store credit!! Holy heck! I was thinking I'd be happy with about $40, so you can imagine how pleased I was!

Agatha Christie N or M?

Agatha Christie Ordeal by Innocence

Agatha Christie They Do It with Mirrors

Barbara Demick Nothing to Envy

Anna Funder All That I Am

Lauren Graham Someday, Someday, Maybe

Kerry Greenwood Phryne Fisher #20: Murder and Mendelssohn (now only missing #6 from this series)

Emma Healey Elizabeth is Missing

Jeff Lindsay Dexter's Final Cut

John Elder Robison Look Me in the Eye (Sari, you know who this is, right? I never thought I'd find one of his books!)

Very cool about earning $75!! Which shop was this? Any chance it's one I've been to? 

Well done on finding a Lauren Graham book, I can imagine how excited you are about that :D And the Dexter book! Bloody hell :D And I'm sooooo jealous you now have a copy of Look Me in the Eye!! :D But I'm also very very happy for you!! :smile2: I hope it's good. I really want to read it :wub: 

Some places let you buy books and then return them for a credit or money. For example, you could buy a book for $5 and get $2 credit when you return. A bit like a paying library, I guess? (Which begs the question: why wouldn't you just go to the library?) A couple of places I've been to don't offer much at all, but the shop I went to is the best one I know of. :)

Maybe so that if the book is good, they can keep it :) The library tends to want to have their books back... :giggle2::D

I went through you book fair book haul yesterday but unfortunately I was competely knackered and didn't have the energy to comment on the books! Will do so now, though. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! :wub: I will eternally remember how completely in awe I was when I walked in the and saw the rows and rows of books in the huge location. 

Fiction (61)
Boris Akunin Pelagia #1: Pelagia and the White Bulldog  - Ooh! What is this? Another series? =O  Never heard of it. 
Julilan Barnes Arthur & George - This is supposed to be good, but I've never gotten into it... Well I don't remember if I've ever really tried :blush: =D 
Stephen King Misery - Yay! This is a really good one :smile2: 
John Lanchester Capital - I've seen this at the library and I've been looking at it very longingly... Bobblybear's review made me add it to my wishlist some time ago. I hope it's good! 
Eimear McBride A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing - I've seen this at the library too, the title always catches my eye. I have no idea what it's about thought. 

--------------------

Oh my god I just realized that what with the new mini series of the Gilmore Girls... There will be new books added to the Rory challenge!!!!!!!! :thud::exc: =D

Non-Fiction (28)

Noel Riley Fitch Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation - I'm sure you must've been absolutely giddy to see this one! =D Yay!!! 
Jack Kerouac Selected Letters 1940–1956 - Oh wow holy sh*t!! :D 
Jessica Mitford Hons and Rebels - I'm curious about this and the next one! I hope you will enjoy them, and you'll have to let me know if you did! :smile2: 
Jessica Mitford Decca: The Letters of Jessica Mitford (n/a) 
Ann Rule Green River, Running Red - I almost shrieked when I saw this :D The Ted Bundy book is by far Rule's best book, and I've read a few of hers that have been let-downs, but GR,RR was really, really good and very, very harrowing!! The prologue in itself was really shocking  :hide:   I hope you will enjoy! 

Andrew Wilson Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith - Oooh, this ought to be interesting for you, as I know you've become a fan of her novels! :smile2: Score!!!
Tom Wolfe The Pump House Gang (n/a) - Yay, Tom Wolfe! :D 

I'll be interested to hear what you think of MR Carey's The Girl With All the Gifts, when you get to it, I really liked it,

Have you never read The 100 Year Old Man...?  And you've read Atlas Shrugged, right?

I love the pictures and am glad you had such a fun day :)

Sounds like you're truly going to have your hands full with this production and all the props moving on and off during the show! :D The prop handlers were all dressed in black jeans and black hoodies and the lighting was done in a way that they didn't show very well, but you did see them at times. :)

I think that's what we'll be doing too (wearing black to move things on and off stage). We've found out that there are two other productions of The 39 Steps taking place in the next few weeks: one about 50 minutes away and the other about an hour and a half to the south of us. We're going to go to both productions and take notes. We might even talk to the people involved about perhaps borrowing/hiring their props and costumes. That would save us so much work!

Very cool about earning $75!! Which shop was this? Any chance it's one I've been to?

It was a shop in Glenbrook, in the lower Blue Mountains, about 20 minutes from my house. I can't remember going there with you, but I'm not sure why we wouldn't have. I'm pretty sure I knew the shop existed back then. Their books can be a little pricey for secondhand books, so maybe we didn't go for that reason. It's quite a small shop set towards the back of an arcade. Does that ring any bells?

Well done on finding a Lauren Graham book, I can imagine how excited you are about that :D And the Dexter book! Bloody hell :D And I'm sooooo jealous you now have a copy of Look Me in the Eye!! :D But I'm also very very happy for you!! :smile2: I hope it's good. I really want to read it :wub:

I was totally excited about the LG book. :D I don't even mind too much that it's a big hardback. The Dexter book is the right size in paperback though. :) I never would have thought I'd find a copy of LMitE in a secondhand bookshop!

I went through you book fair book haul yesterday but unfortunately I was competely knackered and didn't have the energy to comment on the books! Will do so now, though. Sounds like you had a lot of fun! :wub: I will eternally remember how completely in awe I was when I walked in the and saw the rows and rows of books in the huge location.

I remember that look on your face too when you walked into that building. It was wonderful to see you so happy. :D

Had to cull some emoticons.

Fiction (61)
Boris Akunin Pelagia #1: Pelagia and the White Bulldog  - Ooh! What is this? Another series? =O  Never heard of it. 
It's part of a trilogy. Apparently it's about a crime-solving nun. :D Should be good. I found a second book from the trilogy on the same day and snapped that up too. I was so excited. Then I later realised I'd just bought two copies of the same book.  :doh: In my defence they had different covers. If only I knew someone who liked Boris Akunin so I could send them the extra copy. ;)

Julilan Barnes Arthur & George - This is supposed to be good, but I've never gotten into it... Well I don't remember if I've ever really tried 
I added this to my wishlist because of Kay's recommendation (it's on her list of favourite books). I only added it recently, so I was super excited to find it. It's a really nice edition too! Do you mean you tried it but couldn't get into it?

Stephen King Misery - Yay! This is a really good one 
There are always loads of SK books at the fair, but I usually resist buying them because I already have several unread SK books on my TBR pile, and I know I can get them any time at the bookfair. But this was a recent edition and looked brand new, and I knew it was a favourite of some members here (including you), so I couldn't pass it up. :) 

John Lanchester Capital - I've seen this at the library and I've been looking at it very longingly... Bobblybear's review made me add it to my wishlist some time ago. I hope it's good! 
It must have BB's review that also made me add it to my wishlist. I've always liked the look of the book because the cover reminds me of Ben Aaronovitch's covers. :D I'll have to remember not to expect a similar story though.  :giggle2: 

Eimear McBride A Girl is a Half-Formed Thing - I've seen this at the library too, the title always catches my eye. I have no idea what it's about thought. 
Me neither. I think Marieke Hardy highly recommended this on an episode of The Book Club (although I don't think it was a featured book).

--------------------
Oh my god I just realized that what with the new mini series of the Gilmore Girls... There will be new books added to the Rory challenge!!!!!!!!
Oh wow, I never thought of that!! How exciting!! I've been seeing some articles floating around recently that include details about the new show but I'm not sure whether anyone else wants to know the details or whether they want to be completely surprised. Lauren posted a photo of her and Yanic (Michel) on the set. They looked so happy! :D

Non-Fiction (28)

Noel Riley Fitch Sylvia Beach and the Lost Generation - I'm sure you must've been absolutely giddy to see this one! =D Yay!!! 
I was! I had a hard time actually believing my good luck. I thought I must have already had the book for sure, so I checked all of my lists but it really wasn't there! It was one of the books that had been on my wishlist the longest, so I guess I was confusing my wishlist and TBR pile.
Jack Kerouac Selected Letters 1940–1956 - Oh wow holy sh*t!! 
This was another one I thought I must have already had. I knew I had some letters by him and another Ginsberg, but I thought I also had some just by him. Turns out I didn't! :D

Jessica Mitford Hons and Rebels - I'm curious about this and the next one! I hope you will enjoy them, and you'll have to let me know if you did! 
Jessica Mitford Decca: The Letters of Jessica Mitford (n/a) 
Thanks! I have loads of books by and about the Mitfords by now. I really need to start reading them! So far I've only read one of Nancy Mitford's fiction books, The Pursuit of Love, which was great.

Ann Rule Green River, Running Red - I almost shrieked when I saw this The Ted Bundy book is by far Rule's best book, and I've read a few of hers that have been let-downs, but GR,RR was really, really good and very, very harrowing!! The prologue in itself was really shocking   :hide:   I hope you will enjoy! 
Ooh, I didn't know (or hadn't remembered) that you had read this. I saw a few of her books there, but I kept skipping past them in the hopes that I'd see GRRR. I was stoked when I found it! And it looks brand new. She mentioned the Green River killer quite a few times in TSBM, so since then I've quite fancied reading it. I knew you'd be pleased for me. :D

Andrew Wilson Beautiful Shadow: A Life of Patricia Highsmith - Oooh, this ought to be interesting for you, as I know you've become a fan of her novels! Score!!!
It was indeed a score! I have one bio of Highsmith on my TBR pile, but I think this one is supposed to be the best bio of her, and it's been on my wishlist for a while. :D

Tom Wolfe The Pump House Gang (n/a) - Yay, Tom Wolfe!
I must admit I already have this one, but the edition I bought is much nicer.  :blush2:

Confession: Sometimes I see my favourite books at the book fair and I always touch them and/or pick them up just to look at them. I always want to buy them, even though I already own them. It's ridiculous! I get a bit sad when I keep walking around the tables and seeing the same awesome books sitting there, unloved and unchosen. I want to yell at people to take them, or I want to give them a loving home with me. :D

I'll be interested to hear what you think of MR Carey's The Girl With All the Gifts, when you get to it, I really liked it,

Have you never read The 100 Year Old Man...?  And you've read Atlas Shrugged, right?

I love the pictures and am glad you had such a fun day :)

I'm pleased to hear you liked Carey's book. This was a bit of an unusual selection for me because I didn't really know anything about it before I picked it up. I thought I had perhaps heard of it somewhere before (probably from you! :D) and the blurb sounded good. It appears to be dystopian, which clinched the deal. :)

Nope, I've never read T100YOM. I'm always a bit behind the rest of the forum on popular books. I tend to read them years after everyone else!

Yep, I've read and loved Atlas Shrugged. I have a paperback edition with teeny tiny writing, and the edition I found was a special hardcover centennial edition. It's gorgeous and was only a few dollars (The Book Depository is currently selling it for $56!) I decided to buy it and add it to my very small (but growing) collection of special edition hardbacks of the books I've loved most (including To Kill a Mockingbird, Go Set a Watchman, Catch-22, Gone with the Wind, The Grapes of Wrath and The Phantom Tollbooth).

Great haul :D!! I hope you enjoy all the books :D!! I have bought the same book twice on one day before, too :thud:. Great you got so many Agatha Christie books. I also like that you got some BSC books :)!

Thanks Athena. I'm glad it's not just me that doubles up on the same day! :D I was very happy with my Agatha Christie haul. :)

They never have a huge selection of BSC books, and the last 2-3 times I've been they didn't have any new (to me) books at all, so I was really pleased to find 3 this time. I'm slowly completing my collection. I haven't read any of the ones I've bought in the past 5 or so years. I'm not sure yet whether I'll wait to complete the collection (which could take quite a few years at this rate!)

Great haul, especially the non-fiction where there are some excellent reads. The Ackroyds, Dawes, Garfield and Rosen would the pick of the crop for me (if I hadn't already got them!!).

Thanks Willoyd! Have you read the books you've mentioned, or are they TBR? I've flicked through the Garfield and Rosen books and they look like they'll be great to dip into. :)