Looking For a New Genre To Read

Greetings All,

I'm currently looking for a new genre of fiction to get into. I absolutely love spy thrillers, however, a majority of them have the same concept. The spy/assassin gets into doing what he/she does, because of some past tragedy. All the spy novels seem to follow the same concept, just different characters. Right now, unless it's spy history/biography, then I'm not reading it.   

I've tried to get into space opera/fantasy, but, I struggled with it. I always tend to find the space opera that's always military space opera. I've read a little Lost Fleet but couldn't finish it. I prefer watching space-opera/fantasy than reading it. If you can recommend a good non-military space opera that's easy to get into, doesn't take itself too seriously, and overall a fun read, then lets hear it. 

Sticking with the thriller, can anyone recommend an "every man" type thriller? Maybe one where the MC isn't a black ops/solider that can handle himself, maybe the average person is wrapped up in a government conspiracy.

Toby Frost's Space Captain Smith series is a good read.

I'm not sure if it's technically a space opera, but it's set in space & is rather amusing. I suppose it's in a similar vein to hitchhiker's guide, so it depends how much of a comedy type book you want to read.

Something more serious than those, but well worth a look is Stephen Donaldson's The Gap series. The story you think you're reading in the first volume gets completely turned on its head in the subsequent books.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

You are looking for:"Maybe one where the MC isn't a black ops/solider that can handle himself, maybe the average person is wrapped up in a government conspiracy."

I read yesterday a book Avenger by Dusko Duric but it is only available on Kindle amazon store 

I find it total refreshing to normal writing. It has a lead character Miroslav who is ex soldier and now leader of secret organization but has normal problems and he isn't a superhero. If this  helps.

Perhaps The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North would fill the bill.  There is some spy action, with sci-fi thrown in, or Touch by the same author.  Great concept.