Chrissy's Reading

Chrissy

Thank you all. :flowers2:

I am reading without rules, lists, challenges or direction. It's been working well for my fickle reading mojo, so I am sticking with it.

The pleasure I get from perusing all the lists and challenges for 2018 that many have put up is immense. There are so many clever and organised people on here. It's good to 'know' you all. :)

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

29 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

I am reading without rules, lists, challenges or direction. It's been working well for my fickle reading mojo, so I am sticking with it.

I hope it keeps working for you and that your mojo does okay this year :).

29 minutes ago, Chrissy said:

The pleasure I get from perusing all the lists and challenges for 2018 that many have put up is immense. There are so many clever and organised people on here. It's good to 'know' you all. :)

Same! I love reading all the new logs and lists.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 3/4/2018 at 12:31 AM, Raven said:

You rebel...

Did you enjoy The Hanging Tree? Have you read more of the graphic novels?

Sorry P, I only just saw this! :doh:I loved the Hanging Tree, and I have read and enjoyed 'Black Mould', 'Night Witch' and 'Body Work'. I wouldn't consider myself to be a huge fan of graphic novels, but these I thought captured the 'spirit' of the books well I thought. When the others come up at a good price I will get them. 

Maybe this is a sign of me being converted to GN's !  :o :D

• 1 month later...

I got three more Rivers of London graphic novel volumes - 'Detective Stories', 'Water Weed' and 'Cry Fox'. Loved the first three, and got these at a nice price too.  Looking forward to sitting down with them one quiet afternoon. :)

Remembered that I read and enjoyed/endured 'We Need To Talk ABout Kevin' by Lionel Shriver. Powerful stuff, and one that stayed with me. I found it emotionally reminiscent of Doris Lessings 'The Fifth Child' in parts. Well written and it avoided being cliched or directional. I STILL don't properly know what I think about it!

13 hours ago, Hayley said:

I've never read a graphic novel but I am slightly tempted by the Rivers of London ones. I'm not convinced I would like them but it's such a great series I don't want to miss out on anything!

Graphic novels have never really appealed to me, despite seeing their value, but I really enjoyed the first three I bought, so didn't hesitate when I saw the later three at a good price. Perhaps it's my love of the series that does it!

The only thing I would say is to get the physical version rather than the kindle. 

On 27/12/2018 at 6:53 PM, Chrissy said:

I got three more Rivers of London graphic novel volumes - 'Detective Stories', 'Water Weed' and 'Cry Fox'. Loved the first three, and got these at a nice price too.  Looking forward to sitting down with them one quiet afternoon. :)

Was hoping to pick up Water Weed myself, this afternoon, but none in stock in Waterstone's Southampton.  Will try Chichester, tomorrow! 

12 hours ago, Raven said:

Was hoping to pick up Water Weed myself, this afternoon, but none in stock in Waterstone's Southampton.  Will try Chichester, tomorrow! 

There is something about this series that lends itself to other formats I reckon. Having said that, my great-nephew (aged 17 years) insisted I checked out a 'Flash' graphic novel he'd bought, and i was quite drawn into the story.

Is 51 too old to start getting properl yinto GNs? Should I confine myself to knitting patterns and tutting at reality TV? 

On 12/29/2018 at 9:58 AM, Chrissy said:

Is 51 too old to start getting properl yinto GNs? Should I confine myself to knitting patterns and tutting at reality TV? 

In my opinion, one is never too old to get into a new 'genre'/type of book(s) :).

On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:58 PM, Chrissy said:

There is something about this series that lends itself to other formats I reckon. Having said that, my great-nephew (aged 17 years) insisted I checked out a 'Flash' graphic novel he'd bought, and i was quite drawn into the story.

If Asterix is considered a graphic novel, I never grew out of them and I'm a *mumble* number of years older than you! :friends3: