Diane's Reading List 2016

Inver

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you enjoyed Peaches for Monsieur Le Curé. Shame it wasn't as good as Chocolat but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. I had no idea there was a third book. I own the first two books in Dutch but I haven't read them yet.

Yes, Peaches is the third book, while The Lollipop Shoes is the second, but is set in Paris not Lansquenet.  Personally, I didn't like TLP because I found it a bit too fantastical and I missed the characters from the first book, but I think that's why I enjoyed Peaches much more. :)

Yes, Peaches is the third book, while The Lollipop Shoes is the second, but is set in Paris not Lansquenet.  Personally, I didn't like TLP because I found it a bit too fantastical and I missed the characters from the first book, but I think that's why I enjoyed Peaches much more. :)

Thanks, good to know :).

• 2 weeks later...

I think chesilbeach meant a third book by Joanne Harris in general, and not a third novel in this particular series? Although I might be mistaken... 

Peaches for M le Cure is the 3rd in the Chocolat series, she's written quite a few other books as well.  I've only read Chocolat so far out of the 3.

Thanks, good to know :).

You guys are totally right!  I had honestly forgotten there had already been a sequel to the original novel, and that thus the Peaches book would be the third... :blush: :blush: I feel very silly now!!! Sorry Athena! :blush:  :flowers2:

• 3 weeks later...

'We are all made of Stars' by Rowan Coleman

Lovely read, uplifting in parts and emotional in others. Great characters. One connection to them all is Stella, who works at the Marie Francis hospice, but has her own emotional life at home to deal with. Her husband has returned from Afghanistan but is scarred for life in more ways than one. In order to deal with their differences and awkwardness she works nights, but this cannot go on.

Stella helps patients at the hospice who know their time may be short by writing letters for them to pass on to loved ones, when the inevitable happens. Some of these are funny others heart wrenching. One in particular touches her deeply and she makes the decision to deliver it before it is too late...is this the right decision?

This book is filled with wonderful characters who all have their part to play in this exceptional read.

4/5

• 3 weeks later...

'The Trysting Tree' by Linda Gillard

I loved it. Secrets found in diaries, family relationships, loves lost over a hundred years before, mystery of family trees, gardens. My favourite character 'The Trysting Tree' in the woods. I loved how it had its 'say' in the actual storyline, giving an insight of things that happened in past and the secrets it has kept for a hundred years.

Going between the present with Phoebe, Ann and Connor and their journey to unravel the secrets of family archives, and the past with Hester, Violet and William who are connected with the house and gardens. What will Connor discover while he helps to restore the beloved garden where his grandmother, Ivy, used to play. The Trysting Tree is brought to ground in a storm and unearths a secret in the hollows of the trunk.

At times an emotional read, but I expect that of Linda's books, having read them all. I found the early chapter, when we are introduced to Phoebe, especially moving when we learn of the illness she has endured. The past and present were brought together in a truly compelling,  heartwarming read.

5/5 (recommend this one)

• 2 weeks later...

'The Cornish Affair' by Liz Fenwick

Jude leaves John at the alter. She goes to Cornwall to help catalogue a library at a big rambling mansion. Secrets of the past come to light and talk of hidden family treasure, bit of history, bit of love interest, can the house be saved, but it was a bit far fetched at the end for me...! (reminded me of The Famous Five a bit...!!)

3/5

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

'Secret Lives' by Diane Chamberlain

Much as I love Diane Chamberlain, I would have to say this isn't a favourite. I can't put my finger on what niggled me about it, but perhaps it was the concept of Kate spending a lot of her time writing/living in a cave/cavern....seemed a bit strange to me. I'm glad Eden found answers to questions about her mother's past...and a wee twist she wasn't expecting. Another ticked off the Diane Chamberlain books I've read.

3/5

I don't think I have read this one, as I don't recognise the plot.

Actually, I've just checked Amazon, and I bought it back in 2015, so I will no doubt get to it at some point. :readingtwo:  Shame it wasn't as good as her others....I have yet to be disappointed by one of her books.

Shame this wasn't one of her best ones. It's one of her early novels, isn't it? That's what I thought, but I could be wrong. I'll read it anyway, but I might read some of her more recent novels first.

Yes I think it is an earlier one, it was OK...but I've liked others better.

I don't think I have read this one, as I don't recognise the plot.

Actually, I've just checked Amazon, and I bought it back in 2015, so I will no doubt get to it at some point. :readingtwo:  Shame it wasn't as good as her others....I have yet to be disappointed by one of her books.

It was one of those reads I had to get to the end to see what happened.

• 2 weeks later...

'The Christmas Train' by David Baldacci

Second time I have read this one.....remembered bits about it, but I think I will be passing this one on now. Only reason I kept it was it had Christmas in the title really. Not overly Christmassy and some of characters likeable others a bit annoying. Travellers on a train heading to their destinations for Christmas, supposedly different tales of why they are on the train, but not truly all is as it seems as to why they are on the train. As a previous reviewer has said (Janet has read this one)...ending is a bit twee.

3/5

Hoorah...thanks to my sis and brother-in-law I did get two books for Christmas after all.

'Between Sister' by Cathy Kelly (from my sister obviously)

'The Penguin Lessons' by Tom Michell

I guess this means that 2016 reading post is officially closed now

Here is hoping everyone had an enjoyable reading year in 2016

and may your 2017 bring you lots of new books and authors to try out

Edited by Inver