Diane's Reading List 2016

Inver

Hi Julie...only read 8 so far. In the middle of Life after Life, but have put it aside just now, wasn't holding my interest. Trying to choose my next read.

I haven't read any of this author's books yet, but have heard others who have struggled with this one .  I hope you find something else to hold your attention more .

Nothing wrong with only reading 8  !   We all read and enjoy books at different paces .

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have it in my TBR pile ; I got it after you recommended it.  :smile:

I liked the review too.  :D

Hoping it doesn't disappoint Little Pixie....:D

I haven't read any of this author's books yet, but have heard others who have struggled with this one .  I hope you find something else to hold your attention more .

Nothing wrong with only reading 8  !   We all read and enjoy books at different paces .

Thanks...just started a Jodi Picoult...'Sing you Home'...so far so good. She always draws me in to her books, so fingers crossed.

I always list what I'm reading on my first page and also under my piccie. 'Life after Life' is what I have abandoned at the moment.

I didn't like Life After Life either. I can't remember if I gave up or skimmed through to the end, but either way I didn't read it properly. Everyone raved about it, but I didn't like it at all.

• 3 weeks later...

'Sing you Home' by Jodi Picoult

Another controversial read dealing with a divorced couple, religious beliefs, gay rights, fertility issues and loss and the unborn children waiting at a fertility clinic. The inevitable dealings of civil rights and courtroom scenes is par for the course with a Picoult book, but I enjoy when she adds in the odd twists in the later part of the book.

Max and Zoe are divorced but each are given a chance at a new life, but the consequences of their 'unborn' child(ren) and the choices they have to make will be decided in court....will it be the right choice for one of them.

3/5

• 3 weeks later...

'The House We Grew Up In' by Lisa Jewell

The Bird family, Lorelei, her husband Colin and their four children seem like a normal family and they have a lovely life in the country but due to a tragic event that happens one Easter Sunday, their lives will never be the same. In time the children seem to push what happens to the back of their minds and they all move away from home. Lorelei becomes an extreme hoarder and it isn't until she passes away and the family reunite to sort out the family home that the truth eventually comes to light. I thought this was an interesting theme for the main character that I hadn't come across before. I don't want to say much more without giving anything away. Admittedly all the characters are not without faults, but we find out on the journey what has made them the way they are and why.

I'm not sure I have read Lisa Jewell before but I enjoyed her writing and wouldn't dismiss trying another of her books.

4/5

Thanks Athena...her name almost makes me think I have read her before, but none of the titles I checked on rang any bells with me.

I have also abandoned 'Life After Life' by Kate Atkinson....just wasn't enjoying it and was too much of a long read to persevere with it and not enjoy reading.

• 2 weeks later...

'Pandora's Box' by Giselle Green

Rachel, a mother, is having to come to terms with having a terminally ill daughter, Shelley. Shelley has a plan for her (potentially last) birthday. She wants to go to Cornwall. Rachel's mother, Pandora, gives her a box of belongings from her and her sister's past, which opens up a lot of memories she has locked away, but now has to deal with and confront her sister Lily with truths they both have to face up to.

I found the characters a little uninspiring at times and the storyline a little drawn out and for me the conclusion was a bit disappointing and as if the author wasn't quite sure what ending to give it...I think I was expecting a bit of a dramatic ending, it was nearly 'too nice'. I don't want to say anymore without giving spoilers. Easy enough read but not one that will stay with me or the characters.

3/5

I've read 3 books by Giselle Green and Pandora's Box is actually my least favourite, I agree with your review. I much preferred Little Miracles and A Sister's Gift. I haven't yet read Falling For You. I didn't know if she'd written any more books but apparently (I just looked it up) she's written a follow-up to Little Miracles called Finding You as well as one other book called Dear Dad.

• 4 weeks later...

'Peaches for Monsieur Le Cure' by Joanne Harris

Having loved 'Chocolat' and being one of my all time favourite reads, I looked forward to being reacquainted with Vianne Rocher again and other characters. As always I find Joanne Harris writing to be very atmospheric. I was drawn in to the familiar surroundings of Lansquenet once more when Vianne, Anouk and Rosette return after receiving a letter. However, they arrive in the middle of Ramandan and find things and people have changed from when they were last there. Vianne has been told 'she has to return as someone needs her help', but what does this mean. There is a strong Muslim community, now and there are strong clashes within the town. Father Reynaud ultimately is accused of crimes he didn't commit, he has to try and prove he is innocent but goes missing. Vianne once again is centre of attention in her attempts to get to the bottom of what is happening. Disappointingly though there was a lack of 'chocolat' making.

All in all I  did enjoy it but I did find there were so many different characters I was having difficulty remembering who was related to who. However it didn't distract too much from the main storyline. A few twist and turns along the way right to the conclusion. I do love Vianne...and would love her to open her little shop again and write another tale about Lansquenet.

4/5

Edited by Inver

I'm glad you enjoyed Peaches for Monsieur Le Curé, Diane.  I loved Chocolat but wasn't that keen on The Lollipop Shoes and had been concerned about reading a third book, but ended up enjoying it a lot.  I'd love to read another book set in Lansquenet too :)

I'm glad you enjoyed Peaches for Monsieur Le Curé. Shame it wasn't as good as Chocolat but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. I had no idea there was a third book. I own the first two books in Dutch but I haven't read them yet.

• 1 month later...

'I Let You Go' by Clare Mackintosh

Well that was good. I should have devoured this one on holiday. A great twisty, turny plot although think I had figured out a couple of them but the ending...I say no more. Read it. It did start quite slow paced in Part 1, obviously introducing all the characters involved, but certainly picked up pace in Part 2. I found I wasn't turning/reading the pages quick enough. I liked all the characters and their involvement in this slightly gruesome plot at times...a fatal hit and run accident of a young boy, was Jenna involved in this? Later on for one of the characters it becomes a bit disturbing, but it was well written. I enjoyed the slow simmering build up to boiling point of the plot and it didn't disappoint. Definitely worth all the great reviews I seen and heard about this book. If you enjoy a psychological thriller this is one for you.

5/5

'Peaches for Monsieur Le Cure' by Joanne Harris

Having loved 'Chocolat' and being one of my all time favourite reads, I looked forward to being reacquainted with Vianne Rocher again and other characters. As always I find Joanne Harris writing to be very atmospheric. I was drawn in to the familiar surroundings of Lansquenet once more when Vianne, Anouk and Rosette return after receiving a letter. However, they arrive in the middle of Ramandan and find things and people have changed from when they were last there. Vianne has been told 'she has to return as someone needs her help', but what does this mean. There is a strong Muslim community, now and there are strong clashes within the town. Father Reynaud ultimately is accused of crimes he didn't commit, he has to try and prove he is innocent but goes missing. Vianne once again is centre of attention in her attempts to get to the bottom of what is happening. Disappointingly though there was a lack of 'chocolat' making.

All in all I  did enjoy it but I did find there were so many different characters I was having difficulty remembering who was related to who. However it didn't distract too much from the main storyline. A few twist and turns along the way right to the conclusion. I do love Vianne...and would love her to open her little shop again and write another tale about Lansquenet.

4/5

I never thought I'd read the book Chocolat but I've changed my mind and I found a copy of the book just the other day. Had to come back to read your review on the sequel! I think I want to read that one, too :smile2: I'm so happy it was enjoyable! 

I'm glad you enjoyed Peaches for Monsieur Le Curé, Diane.  I loved Chocolat but wasn't that keen on The Lollipop Shoes and had been concerned about reading a third book, but ended up enjoying it a lot.  I'd love to read another book set in Lansquenet too :)

I've only read Gentlemen & Players by Joanne Harris but I thought it was really great! I was completely hooked and on the edge of my seat. No, it's not a thriller-thriller, but a great mystery. I'd thoroughly recommend that one :) 

I'm glad you enjoyed Peaches for Monsieur Le Curé. Shame it wasn't as good as Chocolat but I'm glad you still enjoyed it. I had no idea there was a third book. I own the first two books in Dutch but I haven't read them yet.

I think chesilbeach meant a third book by Joanne Harris in general, and not a third novel in this particular series? Although I might be mistaken... 

'Nights of Rain and Stars' by Maeve Binchy

Well it was ok'ish....easy read. Four strangers are brought together on a Greek island and witness a disaster in the village they are staying in. Elsa, Fiona, David and Thomas all have their own reasons for being there and throughout their stay become good friends. Vonni becomes a friend to all, but she seems more like an agony aunt really, but likeable enough. Slightly predictable in how things turn out, a holiday read if you need one. I have enjoyed Maeve Binchy in the past, but this isn't one I will be calling a favourite.

2/5

Shame this one was a bit disappointing :(. What are some of Maeve Binchy's books that are your favourites of hers? I've only read The Copper Beech and Evening Class and I remember not being very impressed with either one of them.

The first ever one I read was 'Light a Penny Candle', others I think I have read are Echoes, Firefly Summer, Circle of Friends, Evening Class, Minding Frankie ( I do remember enjoying this one). I'm not sure if I read Copper Beach, it is sort of familiar. I had to go look up the titles on Fantastic Fiction and read about them.