Books read outside of the read-a-thon: 10.5

Pages read outside of the read-a-thon: 4286

Most impressive / Favourites of the month:

Stephen King - The Stand

Ann M. Martin - How to Look for a Lost Dog

Catherine Ryan Hyde - When I Found You

Biggest disappointment / Least favourite of the month:

Roddy Doyle - Dead Man Talking

Leigh Bardugo - De Grisha 2: Dreiging en Duisternis (The Grisha 2: Siege and Storm)

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really glad you liked The Stand - it's one of my Top Ten!

It's really a good book, I can see why it's one of your favourites :).

Hurray, Dune books !  :D

I totally forgot a Feb. summary!  I should do that :doh:

It's sooo good to have you back!

I would love to read your summary :). Thanks :D!!

I bought Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 4: Episode Four on Kindle which just released today. The first and second one are free until the end of today (on Amazon.com for Kindle, U. S. time zone).

Edited by Athena

I bought these books for my Kindle:

Yay! :D I was going to say I hope you enjoy the book when you get to it, but then I read further and saw you'd already read the book and posted a review :D

Stephen King - The Stand

Well I finally got around to reading the epicness that is The Stand. I loved the book, it was really good. A couple of minor points, some of the slang was very confusing to me and threw me out of the story on occasion. I could usually read the accents of the people speaking. The many metaphors often went past me, as they usually do; metaphors aren't my strong point. I was also a bit hazy on the geography of it all, as the geography of the United States isn't one of my strong points (mainly because I was never taught it in school). There was one point in the book, where the story got a little bit slow, and I just wanted the book to be over already. But aside from those things, I really enjoyed reading the book. The characters were interesting, the world was interesting, the attention to detail, the epic story. It may seem like I talked a lot about the negative points, but the overall view is definitely a positive one. It was an impressive book.

I'm so glad you enjoyed this novel, as it's one epic read! :smile2: Did you have any favorite characters? 

This was really good! Thanks to Frankie and Kylie for recommending it to me. I could identify well with the main character. I cried during the book. It was a really good read.

Most impressive / Favourites of the month:

Stephen King - The Stand

Catherine Ryan Hyde - When I Found You

Wow, you really did like the Lost Dog book seeing it was one of your most impressive reads last month! :cool: I'm very happy that you liked the book :smile2:

Liane Moriarty - The Husband's Secret

I really liked this one when I read it, I hope you will enjoy it too :)

Edit: Almost forgot! I read somewhere that you've been having a really nasty bout of stomach flu :(  :empathy:   I hope you feel better soon! 

Edited by frankie

I'll be interested to see what you think of the Dune books. I've only ever read the first one, but I never got around to any of the others

I'm so glad you enjoyed this novel, as it's one epic read! :smile2: Did you have any favorite characters?

Hmmm, that's hard.. there were so many great ones :D. I thought all of them were pretty interesting to read about. I guess if I had to pick I'd say Fran and Nick, but really I liked them all.

I really liked this one when I read it, I hope you will enjoy it too :)

Edit: Almost forgot! I read somewhere that you've been having a really nasty bout of stomach flu :(  :empathy:   I hope you feel better soon!

Thanks, I'm almost better but not entirely yet :). But it can't be long now anymore. It's been 9 days! 

I read the Dune books as a teenager and just devoured them.  :D

That's good to hear :D

I'll be interested to see what you think of the Dune books. I've only ever read the first one, but I never got around to any of the others

I've only read the first one as well, but I look forward to reading the rest of them.

I received these in the post:

Maria V. Snyder - Study 5: Night Study

Holly Black and Cassandra Clare - Magisterium 2: The Copper Gauntlet

I look forward to reading them :D.

Still to come:

Maria V. Snyder - Stormwatcher

Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic 8: Shopaholic to the Rescue (pre-order)

I've read:

Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 3: Het Ontwaken der Reuzen (Il Risveglio dei Giganti) (this was good but not as good as other books in the series, in my opinion. Or maybe it was because I had already read book 4, that I liked this one a bit less)

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 39: Poor Mallory! (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club Super Special 5: California Girls (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 40: Joke Vals Beschuldigd! (The Babysitters Club 40: Claudia and the Middle School Mystery) (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 20: De Cock en de Ganzen van de Dood (this was pretty good even if I did guess one of the twists)

Terry Deary (ill. Philip Reeve) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Ruige Ridders en Kastelen (Horrible Histories: Dark Knights and Dingy Castles) (re-read)

Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 4: Episode 4 (I look forward to episodes 5 and 6)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 10: Één Plus Één is Één Teveel (Giú le Zampe, Faccia di Fontina!)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 24: Halloween: Lach of Ik Schiet (Halloween... che fifa felina!) (with Halloween tips, recipes, costumes, and more)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 38: De Indiaan met het Gouden Hart (Il Segreto del Lago Scomparso) (with information about certain tribes of Native Americans)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 41: Oei, Oei, Ik Zit in de Knoei! (Ahi Ahi Ahi, Sono Nei Guai!) (with information about the hospital)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 47: De Schat van de Duikelende Dakhazen (Il Tesoro di Valle Valgatta)

Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 5: Een Berg op Pootjes (Per Mille Mammut, mi si Gela la Coda!)

Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 9: Zi-wat Zeerat op Jacht naar de Schat (Mordosauri in Mare... Tesoro da Salvare!)

Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 6 (Viaggio nel Tempo 6) (with information about 5 different time periods)

Geronimo Stilton - De Grote Invasie van Rokford (La Grande Invasione di Topazia) (loved this!)

Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rozen 2: Het Bevroren Paradijs (Il Segreto delle Fate delle Nevi)

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 9: Tales From a Not-So-Dorky Drama Queen (it was interesting to read MacKenzie's point of view)

Big Balloon Publishers - The Lion King (Dutch)

Chris Mould - Skeletten, Spoken & Spinrag (Dust 'n Bones) (some stories were nicer than others, nice illustrations)

Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 9 (re-read) (I didn't enjoy this one as much as I enjoyed re-reading some of the other Dubbel Pockets I own)

Hurray ! Enjoy your book ! I haven`t read any of them, but I liked the film. :)

Thanks :)! I liked the film but I prefer the books. The film was pretty good but one thing annoyed me, in the books Becky is British and the story takes place mainly in London. I didn't like how they Americanised the movie by bringing it to New York and Becky was played by an American actress with an American accent. It's still a good film though :). But compared with reading the book first I preferred the book (it might be different if you see the film first).

I read Brandon Sanderson - Warbreaker. It was pretty good! The last part of it in particular was very suspenseful. It wasn't as epic as the Mistborn trilogy because it's only one book, but I still really enjoyed reading it. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favourite authors and I don't think that will change :).

I read Diane Chamberlain - The Lies We Told. The book was pretty good. One of the things I thought was pretty well done, was the two viewpoints in the book. One of the viewpoints is in first person and the other in third person. I thought this was pretty well done, it was easier to see whose chapter you were reading. The story was interesting and I liked the book a lot. I wouldn't call it my absolute #1 favourite Diane Chamberlain book but it was very enjoyable and very good. The book surprised me with some twists I wasn't expecting.

I read Holly Black and Cassandra Clare - Magisterium 2: The Copper Gauntlet. At first I wasn't enjoying it as much as book 1 (I missed something that was in book 1), but the second half in particular was quite suspenseful and I enjoyed the book a lot in the end. I look forward to reading the other books in the series, once they're out.

I read Sophie Kinsella - Shopaholic 8: Shopaholic to the Rescue. I was a bit apprehensive about it before I started reading it, because the previous book in the series (book 7, Shopaholic to the Stars), I didn't like as much as the earlier books in the series (and I liked it less over time, after I finished it). It didn't help that no one I know has posted a review about this book or even that they've bought it or been given a review copy. I follow a number of book blogs, YouTube / BookTube channels and other things, but no one anywhere has mentioned it. The hardcover has been out for about 6 months. I find it pretty odd. Gladly though I didn't need to be so worried, as I liked book 8 of the series much more than book 7. It was maybe as good as the earlier books in the series, it was different from those (mainly because I can't forget book 7, which ended on a cliffhanger, as that's part of the overall story and I can't discard that), but in the end I quite enjoyed the story, it was a lot better than book 7 actually. Two of my issues with book 7 were solved / better in this book. It might be a spoiler though if I tell you what it is, so I won't unless someone asks for it. Overall then I enjoyed reading this book and was glad it was better than book 7.

That`s great when a series gets itself out of a hole. :smile:  For me, it`s tough to give up on a series when you loved the first few books so much; I keep reading in the hope that the author recaptures what drew me to the books in the first place. 

Hey Sarah, I'm okay. Noll is right, I was on holiday (but I don't announce this as I don't like for any strange people to see this). Also, I picked up the stomach flu on my holiday so it will be a few days before I'm well again and caught up to all the posts on the forum. I will read all of your threads soon, once I feel better :).

Glad to hear you are ok now!  Flu is miserable. 

Also happy to see you've picked up the Mary Stewart Merlin books.  They are certainly in my top 10, ever.  Wonderful presentation of the Merlin Legend!!

Also, that's great that you've read and enjoyed The Stand. It's one of my favorites also.  :)

That`s great when a series gets itself out of a hole. :smile:  For me, it`s tough to give up on a series when you loved the first few books so much; I keep reading in the hope that the author recaptures what drew me to the books in the first place.

I agree! I find that tough too. But gladly it worked out for this book :).

Glad to hear you are ok now!  Flu is miserable. 

Also happy to see you've picked up the Mary Stewart Merlin books.  They are certainly in my top 10, ever.  Wonderful presentation of the Merlin Legend!!

Also, that's great that you've read and enjoyed The Stand. It's one of my favorites also.  :)

That's good to hear, I didn't know much about them and I hadn't heard about them from anyone I know (that I remembered), but the synopsis sounded good and I do like the Merlin legends in general. It's great to hear you loved them so much :).

Thanks, The Stand was quite good :).

EDIT: I didn't post about it yet, but I'm getting a new book case :D! My parents have one leftover that they don't need anymore, and we've figured out a way to make it fit in my room. I'm excited about it :D. The plan is to bring the book case to my room this weekend (it's currently up in their attic). I look forward to reorganising some of my books :exc:.

Edited by Athena

Ooh, a new book case ! Always exciting. I could do with another one, but where to squish it in..... :hide:

That's the problem, isn't it... I would buy more of them if I had the space to fit them in nicely. I'm sorry you haven't got more space :(.