Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

Ah .. that makes sense. This is what I need .. a separate house to put some of my books in :D It's nice to be surrounded by books isn't it? I get panicky in other people's houses if they have shelves and cabinets without books on. It seems odd to me but then they probably come here and think all my book clutter is odd  :blush2: 

Is that wallpaper on your walls Gaia or have they been sponged? Looks lovely anyway and I love all the painted door frames etc :)

Yes :D. Haha, when I'm in someone's house one of the first things I search for, are bookshelves with books, and I'm disappointed when I don't find them :P.

The walls have been spronged :)! My parents and I did that. I really like the look of the walls and doors :).

EDIT:

I read Walter Moers - Zamonië 1: De 13 ½ Levens van Kap’tein Blauwbeer (Zamonien 1: Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär). I read books 3 and 4 in this series last year. The rest of the books in the series were never translated into Dutch as far as I could find. This book was pretty good, I really liked it. My only complain was that sometimes it was a bit too long-winded, then I wanted the book to get on with the story. But most of the time, the story was good and suspenseful and I particularly liked how:

things came together near the end and the recurring elements such as dimensionholes, the professor etc (I don't know what the name became in English, in Dutch it's Nachtegael).

Overall then I quite enjoyed reading this book.

Edited by Athena

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I re-read Audrey Niffenegger - The Time Traveler's Wife. At first I had some trouble getting into the book, the story seemed a bit too familiar and I wasn't enjoying re-reading the book as much as the first time that I read it. Gladly the second half was more enjoyable and I got more into the book. Particularly when:

Henry and Clare are starting to try to have a baby, everything with Alba, Henry dying soon, and all that. Those were some really interesting bits for me and I cried at the end. A powerful story.

Overall then I enjoyed re-reading this book, particularly the second half. I didn't enjoy the first half of the book as much as I did the first time I read the book. But overall it was still an enjoyable experience. I did have a few motivation problems.

I re-organised some of my book shelves. For anyone who's interested, the new photos are near the beginning of this thread, starting here. It was lots of fun to re-organise these shelves. I love doing that. It'll probably take me a while to get used to the new layout, but it's nice to see some different books to the front that were first to the back and vice versa.

Wow thats amazing! :eek:  Cant even find the words.

Great room and great shelves you have!

Henry and Clare are starting to try to have a baby, everything with Alba, Henry dying soon, and all that. Those were some really interesting bits for me and I cried at the end. A powerful story.

That's what I didn't like :P  I did like the parts with Alba though.

Had you and Anna decided to read The Time Traveler's Wife together, or were you two just so much in sync that it just happened by chance? :lol:  Wouldn't it be funny if it was the latter :D

I chose to read it first and its one of Gaia's favorite books, so she thought she would re read it.  But we read it at separate times :)  We do, though, often read the same books :D

I chose to read it first and its one of Gaia's favorite books, so she thought she would re read it.  But we read it at separate times :)  We do, though, often read the same books :D

Ah, my mistake, I got the impression that you read it at the same time. Well anyways :D I love it how this forum brings people together, and how one can find friends with very similar tastes in books and there are group reads and stuff. It's very inspiring :smile2: 

Ah, my mistake, I got the impression that you read it at the same time. Well anyways :D I love it how this forum brings people together, and how one can find friends with very similar tastes in books and there are group reads and stuff. It's very inspiring :smile2:

Well, we do often read the same books (just not the fantasy stuff :P )  Probably not so much in the upcoming months, as I have some history coming up (and like fantasy isn't my thing, history isn't hers).  We do have the Gone series going though and I think we have 3 left.

Meeting Gaia is one of the best things that has happened to me over the past few years :)  We actually got to meet in Amsterdam last year, which was fantastic. 

I'd love to do a group read!  I wish we could do them monthly with votes, like we did when I first joined.  I never took part in any.

Meeting Gaia is one of the best things that has happened to me over the past few years :)  We actually got to meet in Amsterdam last year, which was fantastic.

I loved meeting you too :). Maybe we can do it again some time!

I'd love to do a group read! I wish we could do them monthly with votes, like we did when I first joined. I never took part in any.

You could always start a topic like that? If you decide on a theme then ask for people to suggest books, then make a new topic with a poll with the most popular options. That's how we sort of used to do it. I don't know if anyone would like it, but it could be worth a shot? The question is, what will the theme be.. :).

I loved meeting you too :). Maybe we can do it again some time!

The question is, what will the theme be.. :).

:friends0:

Dystopian, of course :giggle2:  :D

Well there's the new thread for group reads here. You could go there and ask what people might like to read together? :)

Hm... I don't know, I'm not good at gathering and organizing people so much.  I'll think about it :)  Maybe when we read The Selection.

Edited by Anna Begins

Hm... I don't know, I'm not good at gathering and organizing people so much.  I'll think about it :)  Maybe when we read The Selection.

The organization bit of it all was what happened in the end, to the actual reading circle. There are things to do before and during the reading circle and someone needs to take the responsibility of it working out. It's always a lot more fun when it's all casual and everything works out, but if you're scheduled to do something and then something else comes up, it can become a bit of a 'chore', if you know what I mean. 

Dystopian, of course :giggle2:  :D

Sounds good :D!

I'm not good at that either. We could always start a thread a while before we start reading The Selection, asking if anyone wants to join us? Or we could start a thread saying we want to read a YA dystopian, if anyone wants to join in?

The organization bit of it all was what happened in the end, to the actual reading circle. There are things to do before and during the reading circle and someone needs to take the responsibility of it working out. It's always a lot more fun when it's all casual and everything works out, but if you're scheduled to do something and then something else comes up, it can become a bit of a 'chore', if you know what I mean.

I just wanted to say it's true what Frankie says, that is how it was decided to stop doing the reading circle.

I've got some new library loans and I bought some ex-library books at the library sale, lists and photos of those will follow later, once I've catalogued it all.

I read Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 3: Voice of the Gods. While there was one plot twist I guessed a while before it happened, I still really enjoyed the book. It was suspenseful, particularly towards the end. I really liked reading this trilogy. At first I preferred her other two trilogies, but now that I've finished this one I have to say it's pretty good too.

(Lists of my new books to come! Hopefully on Tuesday.)

Hey Gaia, I started reading this book last night that I thought might interest you! It's called How to Look for a Lost Dog and it's by Ann M. Martin. I know you like the BSC books, and there's a dog in the book, and it's also to do with autism/Asperger's. I've only read 36 pages but I'm really enjoying it and thought I'd let you know about the book :smile2: 

Hey Gaia, I started reading this book last night that I thought might interest you! It's called How to Look for a Lost Dog and it's by Ann M. Martin. I know you like the BSC books, and there's a dog in the book, and it's also to do with autism/Asperger's. I've only read 36 pages but I'm really enjoying it and thought I'd let you know about the book :smile2:

I had heard about this release recently and meant to tell you about it because I know you used to read the BSC. :) Great minds think alike!