Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've spent some time in Book Collector and using its User Defined Fields, I have added a gender for each author, per book I own. It's possible there are a few errors, but overall I can say I have about an even amount of male and female authors for books (so if I own two books by the author, that one counts twice, since it calculates it per book). There are some that are 'both' genders, when a book has been written by multiple authors. And some that are 'unknown', when I didn't know the gender of the author. But the majority of my books are either written by men or by women, and I find it quite amazing the split is ~44,1% male vs ~44,3% female (and ~8.3% for unknown and ~3.3% for both), it's quite close.

Happy Reading in 2016 Gaia! Hope you enjoy your reading this year. You're off to a good start already :) 

Edit: I should have said great start, good doesn't quite cover it :D 

Edited by poppyshake

Happy Reading in 2016 Gaia! Hope you enjoy your reading this year. You're off to a good start already :) 

Edit: I should have said great start, good doesn't quite cover it :D 

Thanks, Kay :D!! I was quite surprised by it myself, I didn't expect to read so many books so soon :blush2:. I do plan on reading some longer books later this month so that'll slow me down. But I'm really enjoying reading so I'm spending more time reading than other things to do in my spare time, such as watching TV.

I read Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 2: Evil Star (The Power of Five 1: Evil Star). It was pretty good. I look forward to read book 3, which I have reserved from the library. I must know what happens next! Even though I do know how it ends, I've read books 4 and 5. But anyway, I quite liked book 2 and reading what happened earlier on in the series. The author has done his research well, the part about the Nazca Lines for example was quite interesting.

I've spent some time in Book Collector and using its User Defined Fields, I have added a gender for each author, per book I own. It's possible there are a few errors, but overall I can say I have about an even amount of male and female authors for books (so if I own two books by the author, that one counts twice, since it calculates it per book). There are some that are 'both' genders, when a book has been written by multiple authors. And some that are 'unknown', when I didn't know the gender of the author. But the majority of my books are either written by men or by women, and I find it quite amazing the split is ~44,1% male vs ~44,3% female (and ~8.3% for unknown and ~3.3% for both), it's quite close.

Ooh, that's a great idea for a user-defined field. I might need to copy that, if that's OK :blush2: (after all, I've copied a lot of your other user-defined fields  :blush2:). It must have taken you a while to enter that data for all of your books! Although I suppose you could batch edit for series.

Ooh, that's a great idea for a user-defined field. I might need to copy that, if that's OK :blush2: (after all, I've copied a lot of your other user-defined fields  :blush2:). It must have taken you a while to enter that data for all of your books! Although I suppose you could batch edit for series.

You are welcome to copy it :). It took a bit of time, but for any book written by the same author, I can edit them all at once so that made it a lot easier.

These are simply amazing, definitely worth a wiki read.

I agree, it amazed me when I read about them in the book. I'm glad you found it interesting :).

I read Jael McHenry - The Kitchen Daughter, a gift from my grandma. She read this book with her book club. It was pretty good. I wasn't 100% sure what to expect, but I liked it a lot :).

It is about a young woman who has a lot of symptoms of Asperger's syndrome, who loves to cook. Her parents die and she has to deal with that. She finds out she can call forth ghosts by cooking their recipes. She has a sister but the two siblings don't always get along.

I read Catherine Ryan Hyde - The Day I Killed James. It was nice, but it's not nearly as good as my favourites by the author (such as Don't Let Me Go). That said, it was a lot better than most of the short stories I've read by CRH. The book was enjoyable but not brilliant.

Yesterday I bought two books at the charity shop in a 2 for 1 € deal:

Orson Scott Card - The Ender Quintet 4: Xenocide (Dutch)

Orson Scott Card - Palicrovol (Hart's Hope)

And they were also giving some books away for free :exc:.

Carry Slee - Razend

Thea Beckman - Hasse Simonsdochter

William Gibson - Sprawl 2: Biochips (Count Zero)

Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom - The Pandora Sequence 3: Factor Hemelvaart (The Ascension Factor)

Gene Wolfe - Het Boek Van De Nieuwe Zon 1: De Schaduw van de Folteraar (The Book of the New Sun 1: The Shadow of the Torturer)

Gene Wolfe - Het Boek Van De Nieuwe Zon 3: Het Zwaard van de Lictor (The Book of the New Sun 3: The Sword of the Lictor)

Gene Wolfe - Het Boek van de Nieuwe Zon 4: De Citadel Van De Autarch (The Book of the New Sun 4: The Citadel of the Autarch)

Greg Bear - Songs of Earth and Power 1: Het Eindeloze Concert (The Infinity Concerto)

Greg Bear - Distelpluis-cyclus 3: Erfgoed (The Way 3: Legacy)

Jack Vance - De Duivelsprinsen 1-5: De Sterrekoning, De Moordmachine, Het Paleis van de Liefde, Lens Larque, Het Boek der Dromen (The Demon Princes 1-5: The Star King, The Killing Machine, The Palace of Love, The Face, The Book of Dreams)

DSC04149_0.25.jpg

DSC04157_0.25.jpg

DSC04160_0.25.jpg

Wow, what a great haul - I'd love to pick up a load of books for free!

Thanks :)! I wasn't expecting it when we went into town, but I was very happy :D. They've never done anything like this before. The books I picked, and even some I put back, I would've happily paid the usual prices of the charity shop for them. So it was pretty lucky.

Well, I'm not entirely sure. It was a book case in the centre of town, where it said people could take a few books per person, and they could also leave books there if they wanted to, as sort of a trade / minilibrary thing. I'll bring back some books there some time :). If I'd have to guess it would also be that they had a lot of books, the shop itself had its shelves somewhat full.

Ahh I've heard of a couple of those in Ireland, a kind of honour system where if you take a book you leave one. I'd love that, I've tons of chick lit I don't want. I should really bring them to a charity shop regardless of whether I get anything for them, but they're so heavy to carry into town. :roll:

Ahh I've heard of a couple of those in Ireland, a kind of honour system where if you take a book you leave one. I'd love that, I've tons of chick lit I don't want. I should really bring them to a charity shop regardless of whether I get anything for them, but they're so heavy to carry into town. :roll:

That makes sense :). I can't really imagine you reading chick-lit, is that something you used to do?

No, I've a friend who reads tons of it and when she moved to another county, she left the books with me. I should have told her take them to a charity shop but I always take free books haha. I read some chick lit - there's an Irish author named Anna McPartlin who does great stuff.

I have no idea if you'd like her - she's very Irish hehe so if nothing else you'd get a sense of Irish communities/families from her. But I think she just writes really authentically. If you didn't find the idea of reading about a terminally ill woman too sad, I would highly recommend her second-latest novel, The Last Days Of Rabbit Hayes, I think it's her best so far.

I have no idea if you'd like her - she's very Irish hehe so if nothing else you'd get a sense of Irish communities/families from her. But I think she just writes really authentically. If you didn't find the idea of reading about a terminally ill woman too sad, I would highly recommend her second-latest novel, The Last Days Of Rabbit Hayes, I think it's her best so far.

Thanks! It's gone on the list of Books recommended to me by people of BCF in 2016 :).

I don't normally post about this, but reading about Claire's anniversary made me realise that a few days ago it was my 3rd year anniversary on BCF (I joined in 2013).

The library has emailed me and told me my three reservations have arrived :exc::jump:. I will be picking them up in a few days.

They are:

John Flanagan - Broederband 5: De Schorpioenberg (Brotherband 5: Scorpion Mountain)

Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 3: Nightrise (The Power of Five 3: Nightrise)

Walter Moers - Zamonië 1: De 13 ½ Levens van Kap’tein Blauwbeer (Zamonien 1: Die 13½ Leben des Käpt'n Blaubär)

Pictures will follow once I've picked up the books :).

Well, I'm not entirely sure. It was a book case in the centre of town, where it said people could take a few books per person, and they could also leave books there if they wanted to, as sort of a trade / minilibrary thing. I'll bring back some books there some time :). If I'd have to guess it would also be that they had a lot of books, the shop itself had its shelves somewhat full.

That's so awesome! I'm glad you got some books you will enjoy :) There's something like this is a town near where I live. There a little cases with shelves in side of them for people to take/leave books all over town. I think things like that are so sweet.

That's so awesome! I'm glad you got some books you will enjoy :) There's something like this is a town near where I live. There a little cases with shelves in side of them for people to take/leave books all over town. I think things like that are so sweet.

Ok, now waiting for your review of Hunger :)

Here it is :).

I read Michael Grant - Gone 2: Hunger. I read this together with Anna. This book didn't disappoint, I thought it was a nice continuation of the storyline. It was fast paced and there were multiple storylines. There are some parallels with concepts such as 'us vs. them' and 'capitalism vs. communism', which I thought was interesting (if that makes sense). Anyway, I quite enjoyed reading this book and look forward to read the rest of the series (6 books in total). I couldn't read them all in one go due to author / genre burn-out, but it's nice to read them with some other books in between. I enjoyed reading this book.