Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

I read Thea Stilton and Geronimo Stilton - De 13 Zwaarden 2: Het Kwade Verbond (Il Segreto della Fenice). It was nice to read this next book in the series. I think I enjoyed this book a little bit less than the first book in the series, but it could've been my mood. I felt really tired and not really in the mood to read, but I wanted to finish this book yesterday so I could start read-a-thon-ing today. A few things in the book were a bit predictable to me but I did enjoy reading it. It's definitely 'easier-to-read' fantasy for children and nothing like the more complicated books for adults such as The Wheel of Time series (one of my favourite fantasy series), but I like that now and then. Well, if you follow my thread you know I like to read Stiltons a lot.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just popping in to say hi as I am trying to catch up a little around the forum, you constantly amaze with the number of books you read, a pretty diverse selection too.  :readingtwo:

I really must get around to reading The Stand sometime soon (I keep saying this!), it is a favourite book of many forumites and also my Dad and I do really want to see what all the fuss is about, it is just sooooo big!! :o

Hi Chalie :). Thanks! How is your reading?

I totally get about being intimidated with big books. I have that all the time. With The Stand I'm really glad I decided to try the book, because I ended up loving it. But, with any books I haven't read yet, people saying it's a good book isn't always enough to convince me to finally read the book. I hope you'll give it a go some time and that you like it. I think The Stand is one of the longest / biggest books I've ever read, so I totally get that its size intimidates you!

Not my best year as have been so busy but I've enjoyed what I've read in the main so can't complain. We are getting a new carpet in the living room on Monday so I will finally be able to refill my big bookcase that was emptied when all the work on the house started. I have decided that it will be my TBR bookcase, it used to be a shelf! :o If they fill it up I am hoping that it will put me off buying more books! :D

Not my best year as have been so busy but I've enjoyed what I've read in the main so can't complain. We are getting a new carpet in the living room on Monday so I will finally be able to refill my big bookcase that was emptied when all the work on the house started. I have decided that it will be my TBR bookcase, it used to be a shelf! :o If they fill it up I am hoping that it will put me off buying more books! :D

How nice about refilling your big book case :). I hope it will look very pretty :). Haha, it may, it's a smart thing to try.

I have a few big books on the TBR, The Stand and Gone with the Wind are the two that I most want to read though. I'll get to them eventually I'm sure. :)

I hope you enjoy them when you get to them :).

It's too bad Tell Me Three Things didn't live up to your expectations. I hope you are able to rest this weekend.

Happy read a thoning! :)

Yeah, I was looking forward to it after the positive stories on the Dutch blogs I read. Oh well.

How nice about refilling your big book case :). I hope it will look very pretty :). Haha, it may, it's a smart thing to try.

I think I may need a TBR room.  :hide:

Seriously, with a TBR around 800, my dining room table has my latest TBR books, and they`re stacked 10-15 deep.  :giggle2:

I think I may need a TBR room.  :hide:

Seriously, with a TBR around 800, my dining room table has my latest TBR books, and they`re stacked 10-15 deep.  :giggle2:

Haha :giggle2::D. Do you have enough space to eat :P?

I keep my 'TBR-soon' books on a book shelf next to my desk. I keep the read-a-thon reads for the rest of this year in a small bookshelf near the TV, as well as a few other short books and sometimes some books I loan from family members. The rest of my TBR books are on my bookshelves in my room, mixed in with my read books.

Haha :giggle2::D. Do you have enough space to eat :P?

I keep my 'TBR-soon' books on a book shelf next to my desk. I keep the read-a-thon reads for the rest of this year in a small bookshelf near the TV, as well as a few other short books and sometimes some books I loan from family members. The rest of my TBR books are on my bookshelves in my room, mixed in with my read books.

Well, the kitchen table is still book-free... so far.  :giggle2:

Do you trouble deciding what to read, when you have to search for a TBR-not soon book amongst your other books ? :)

I looked at a bookshelf upstairs and counted 30 books on it ; I`d need 24+ shelves to encompass my TBR books.  :icon_eek:

Wow Athena, I can't believe how many books you have gotten through so far this year.  Mind blowing! 

I've only read a few Jodi Picoult books but out of the ones I have read Nineteen Minutes is definitely a firm favourite.  It's one of those books I'd like to re-read at some point... if I ever find the time.

Well, the kitchen table is still book-free... so far.  :giggle2:

Do you trouble deciding what to read, when you have to search for a TBR-not soon book amongst your other books ? :)

I looked at a bookshelf upstairs and counted 30 books on it ; I`d need 24+ shelves to encompass my TBR books.  :icon_eek:

Haha :giggle2:.

I usually don't have trouble finding what to read. I'm very much a mood reader so usually I know what kind of mood I feel in and so what kind of book case to search in (my books are organised by genre). That said, on occasion I'm looking for a certain book (for whatever reason, ie. if I bought another book by the author and want to put it next to the book(s) I already own by them), and it takes me a while to find it. I still haven't found my copy of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt, I read it years ago and haven't seen it since. But usually I don't have much trouble :). Sometimes I read library loans or owned books from my TBR-soon shelves, rather than going to the rest of my shelves. I kind of only go to the rest of my shelves, if there is nothing on my TBR-soon shelves that appeals, or if I (for some reason) have a book in my mind that isn't on my TBR-soon shelves. Sometimes I have a clear idea of what book or what kind of book I want to read, sometimes I don't know at all what I feel like! How does it work for you?

Haha :D. I would need a lot of shelves too :blush2:.

Wow Athena, I can't believe how many books you have gotten through so far this year.  Mind blowing! 

I've only read a few Jodi Picoult books but out of the ones I have read Nineteen Minutes is definitely a firm favourite.  It's one of those books I'd like to re-read at some point... if I ever find the time.

Thanks, Autumn :).

Nice to hear you really liked Nineteen Minutes! I loved Nineteen Minutes, definitely one of my favourite books by her. I hope you get to re-read it some time. Do you remember which ones you've read?

I'd like a tbr room too!

I think everyone should have a TBR room (for free)!

I'm a mood reader as well, and usually have an idea of what I'll read next.  I try to plan about half a dozen books or so at a time, a sort of mini-tbr list as opposed to my massive one!  Makes it a bit more manageable that way.

I'm a mood reader as well, and usually have an idea of what I'll read next.  I try to plan about half a dozen books or so at a time, a sort of mini-tbr list as opposed to my massive one!  Makes it a bit more manageable that way.

That makes sense :).

I have a TBR when I borrow library books (because I have to then read the loans before they're due), and during read-a-thons (it's usually what's become my 'usual set of books'), but other than that I don't usually know what my next book is going to be, when I'm still in the middle of the previous one. I often don't know what it'll be until I've finished the previous book and have had a little bit of time to mull it over.

I'm going to post some reviews now of the books I recently read. I hope nobody minds me doing that (well, it is my thread). But please, if anyone has something to add to our off-topic TBR discussion, feel free to do so! I'm rather enjoying it :D.

During the October read-a-thon (which was last weekend), I read:

Ann Cleeves - Shetland Island: Too Good To Be True

This was a nice detective story. I enjoyed it! The only thing I'm puzzled about, is the title. What does it refer to?

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitters Club 53: Kristy for President (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 54: Tines Droom Wordt Werkelijkheid! (The Babysitters Club 54: Mallory and the Dream Horse) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub Mystery 4: Gertie en het Vermiste Kind (The Babysitters Club Mystery 3: Kristy and the Missing Child) (re-read)

I enjoyed reading these three BSC books.

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 47: De Cock en een Dodelijk Rendez-vous (re-read)

I read this book once when I was a child or young teenager. I couldn't remember anything of it, but I really enjoyed reading it again.

Anita Ganeri (ill. Mike Phillips) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Woeste Woestijnen (Horrible Georgraphy: Desperate Deserts)

This was a nice and interesting book.

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 214 1/2: Spoken In Duckstad

I liked the stories in this Donald Duck Pocket a bit less than I liked some of the other Donald Duck Pockets. The last story in the book, was one I had read before, I think in a Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket.

Geronimo Stilton - Het Boekje over Vrede (Il Picollo Libro della Pace)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 40: De Roof can de Gi-Ga-Diamant (Il Furto del Diamante Gigante)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 71: De Roof van het Gouden Boek (Caccia al Libro d'Oro)

Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 2: Help, Het Regent Stenen! (Attenti Alla Coda, Meteoriti in Arrivo)

Geronimo Stilton - Noormuizen: Het Gevecht Tegen De Monsterdraken (Il Segreto del Drago Blu)

I particularly liked this last book, but it's bigger / longer and I usually prefer longer Stilton books. I enjoyed reading these Stilton books.

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 9: Top of the Class (Nearly)

This was really enjoyable.

Stephan Pastis - Flip Fiasco 3: Nóg Een Keer (Timmy Failure 3: We Meet Again)

This was quite enjoyable.

Gill Lewis (ill. Sarah Horne) - Puppy Academy 1: Scout and the Sausage Thief

This was quite nice.

Eoin Colfer (ill. Matt Robertson) - Anna Liza and the Happy Practice

I liked this story and the illustrations were really nice.

Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre - Pugs of the Frozen North

I didn't like this book as much as I liked Cakes in Space, but it was still a very enjoyable read.

Tony Ross - Little Princess: I Didn't Do It!

Tony Ross - Rita's Rhino

Of these two books, I prefer the former over the latter. The illustrations were nice too.

David Walliams (ill. Tony Ross) - The First Hippo on the Moon

This was a nice story, and I liked the illustrations.

Jane Chapman - No More Cuddles!

This was a cute story, with nice illustrations.

Oliver Jeffers - Once Upon an Alphabet

I really liked this one! It has a different story for each letter of the alphabet, but on occasion they intertwine. I really liked it.

Chris Riddell - Louize 2: Louize en het Schoolspook (Ottoline 2: Ottoline Goes To School)

This was a nice story, and I liked the illustrations.

Was the Ann Cleeve a short book?  She has a series of novels set in the Shetland Islands, and I think this may have been a "spin-off" from that, in the UK they occasionally publish short books which they call "quick reads", in the hope that it will get people who don't normally read a full length book, interested in reading - a sort of sample book if you like.

Was the Ann Cleeve a short book?  She has a series of novels set in the Shetland Islands, and I think this may have been a "spin-off" from that, in the UK they occasionally publish short books which they call "quick reads", in the hope that it will get people who don't normally read a full length book, interested in reading - a sort of sample book if you like.

That's exactly what it was :)! It was a QuickReads novella with the same character as in the Shetland Islands series. Now I haven't read any in that series, but I presume it's the same main character (GoodReads told me the QuickReads story was part of the series). I like reading QuickReads books for read-a-thons.

Yes it is the same character - Jimmy Perez?  I really enjoy the books, they've also been made into a TV series although the series is quite different to the books, still good though and the scenery is gorgeous.

Yes, it was with Jimmy Perez :). That's good to hear. I might check out some of the novels in the series, since I liked this story. It's nice to hear it's been made in a TV series, that sounds like something I might enjoy :).

Haha :giggle2:.

I usually don't have trouble finding what to read. I'm very much a mood reader so usually I know what kind of mood I feel in and so what kind of book case to search in (my books are organised by genre). That said, on occasion I'm looking for a certain book (for whatever reason, ie. if I bought another book by the author and want to put it next to the book(s) I already own by them), and it takes me a while to find it. I still haven't found my copy of Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt, I read it years ago and haven't seen it since. But usually I don't have much trouble :). Sometimes I read library loans or owned books from my TBR-soon shelves, rather than going to the rest of my shelves. I kind of only go to the rest of my shelves, if there is nothing on my TBR-soon shelves that appeals, or if I (for some reason) have a book in my mind that isn't on my TBR-soon shelves. Sometimes I have a clear idea of what book or what kind of book I want to read, sometimes I don't know at all what I feel like! How does it work for you?

Well, I think I have a TBR-soon table.  :giggle2:  That`s where the majority of my reads this year have come from.  :smile:

The table has a lot of mysteries from the 40`s and 50`s, which is what I`m enjoying this year. If I get stuck, then I have to wander about, looking at other book piles till I find something which appeals. If nothing appeals, then I read magazines and newspapers to get unstuck.  :)

Yes, it was with Jimmy Perez :). That's good to hear. I might check out some of the novels in the series, since I liked this story. It's nice to hear it's been made in a TV series, that sounds like something I might enjoy :).

I liked the Shetland TV series ( though not as much as the lighter shows, like Death in Paradise, Midsomer Murders, Father Brown ). :)

Nice to hear you really liked Nineteen Minutes! I loved Nineteen Minutes, definitely one of my favourite books by her. I hope you get to re-read it some time. Do you remember which ones you've read?

I've had a quick look at the books she has listed on her website and I've read Nineteen Minutes, The Tenth Circle (didn't enjoy this one), My Sister's Keeper (I thought the ending was a cop-out), Perfect Match and The Pact.  I have a few others on my TBR list that I've still to get around too.  Haven't read any of her books for a while though, so I may move one up to the top of the pile.

Edited by Autumn

I didn't like Tenth circle either, I read it earlier this year.  I also thought the ending of MSK was a cop-out - in fact I guessed something like that was going to happen (apparently the film has a different ending), and I've heard JP say in an interview that a lot of people think that about the ending of MSK.  I quite enjoyed The Pact though.

Well, I think I have a TBR-soon table.  :giggle2:  That`s where the majority of my reads this year have come from.  :smile:

The table has a lot of mysteries from the 40`s and 50`s, which is what I`m enjoying this year. If I get stuck, then I have to wander about, looking at other book piles till I find something which appeals. If nothing appeals, then I read magazines and newspapers to get unstuck.   :)

That's nice :). I never thought about reading magazines or newspapers to get unstuck! 

I liked the Shetland TV series ( though not as much as the lighter shows, like Death in Paradise, Midsomer Murders, Father Brown ). :)

That's nice to hear :)

I've had a quick look at the books she has listed on her website and I've read Nineteen Minutes, The Tenth Circle (didn't enjoy this one), My Sister's Keeper (I thought the ending was a cop-out), Perfect Match and The Pact.  I have a few others on my TBR list that I've still to get around too.  Haven't read any of her books for a while though, so I may move one up to the top of the pile.

Sorry to hear The Tenth Circle wasn't any good.

I didn't like Tenth circle either, I read it earlier this year.  I also thought the ending of MSK was a cop-out - in fact I guessed something like that was going to happen (apparently the film has a different ending), and I've heard JP say in an interview that a lot of people think that about the ending of MSK.  I quite enjoyed The Pact though.

Shame you didn't like The Tenth Circle much. With two people saying that, I think I'll save that one for a while later to read (as in, when I've run out of her other books :P). The film has quite a different ending than the book, you might like that ending more. I personally didn't see the end of the book coming and liked it at the time of reading MSK (which was a long time ago). Glad to hear you enjoyed The Pact. It was one of the best ones I thought.

I read Steve Cole (ill. Donough O'Malley) - Secret Agent Mummy 1: Secret Agent Mummy and Steve Cole (ill. Donough O'Malley) - Secret Agent Mummy 2: The Cleopatra Case. I hadn't read the back of the first book properly, because the story was different than what I was expecting (I didn't read the back of the second book, until after I had finished the first, in case of spoilers). I quite liked these two books. They were a lot wackier than I thought they were going to be (I thought the books were about a mummy detective in ancient Egyptian times - which isn't true. It's my own fault though for not reading the synopsis properly). I really liked these books. I have previously read one book in the Astrosaurs series (in Dutch), which was allright, but these two books were a lot more enjoyable, to me. There were some funny bits in them and I enjoyed reading them.

I then read Kate Pankhurst - Mariella Mystery 6: Mariella Mystery Investigates A Kitty Calamity. I've previously read 2 other books in this series, book 5 and book 7. Now I've read book 6. I wasn't a huge fan of book 5 though it was nice enough, but when I borrowed book 7 I decided to give it another go, and I liked book 7 more than 5. Now I read book 6, and I liked it a lot too. I don't know if I maybe wasn't in the right mood when I read book 5, or whether I was maybe expecting something different, or whether it's just not as good as 6 and 7, but either way, I enjoyed reading book 6 yesterday.

I read Charles Ogden - Edgar & Ellen 3: De Schaduwstad (Under Town). The first book in this series was allright, but I liked the second one more. This third one was nice too, I enjoyed reading it.

Edited by Athena

I read Paul van Loon - Dolfje Weerwolfje 1: Dolfje Weerwolfje. Paul van Loon is one of my favourite Dutch children's horror authors. I read a lot of his books when I was a child and always enjoyed them. My sister read this book when she was a child. At the time, since I'm a few years older than her, I felt myself "too old" to read a book for younger children and preferred to read books for my own age (I think I was maybe 9-10 years old or such?). I picked up a copy of this book at a library sale a while ago. And yesterday I decided to give it a go, it's "horror season" after all. I actually liked the book more than I thought I would. I wasn't expecting much of it, since it is for children of ~7 years old (or so I think, it's got an "A" classification from the library, and "B" is for 8 - 12 year-olds, so 7 seems to make sense). The font is huge and there are some illustrations. I liked the book a lot though and even laughed / giggled at some point.