Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

Interesting posts above re name changes.  I wonder why they change them??  That's something I have never considered!

I always thought it was because for Dutch and Belgian children, very English-sounding names might be hard to pronounce so they change the name into something more 'Dutch'. I could be wrong though.

They change the names here in Finland, too, on occasion. I think one reason is the one Athena's mentioned above. The other one is that if there's a name that bears some sort of meaning in English, they want to translate that into the other language and give it the same meaning in that language. For example, Sirius Black is Sirius Musta in Finnish, 'musta' being 'black' in Finnish. And another example: Snape I believe was Rowland's idea of a name that is snappish and makes one think of a snake, too. In Finnish, the character was named Kalkaros, which reminds the reader of 'kalkkarokäärme', a rattle snake. It also makes me, personally, think of the word 'kolkko', which means 'dreary'. 

The Finnish translator did a really fine job with the series and she's actually published a book on the translating process and what thoughts went into it :smile2: I love it that I'm able to read the series in both the original English, and Finnish, and they are both so fabulously made. 

Athena, what is Snape called in Dutch? Did they translate his name into something, too? 

I read E. Lockhart - We Were Liars. I quite enjoyed reading this book. I didn't guess the twists. I liked the short chapters and I liked the way the book was written. I also liked the characters, though in the beginning I had a bit of trouble remembering who was who since there are a lot of characters (though of course some are more important than others).

I'm happy you didn't struggle with the writing like I did :D I saw you gave it 5/5 on Goodreads? :smile2:

Edited by frankie

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course! I didn't consider that. Makes perfect sense. :)

:)

They change the names here in Finland, too, on occasion. I think one reason is the one Athena's mentioned above. The other one is that if there's a name that bears some sort of meaning in English, they want to translate that into the other language and give it the same meaning in that language. For example, Sirius Black is Sirius Musta in Finnish, 'musta' being 'black' in Finnish. And another example: Snape I believe was Rowland's idea of a name that is snappish and makes one think of a snake, too. In Finnish, the character was named Kalkaros, which reminds the reader of 'kalkkarokäärme', a rattle snake. It also makes me, personally, think of the word 'kolkko', which means 'dreary'. 

The Finnish translator did a really fine job with the series and she's actually published a book on the translating process and what thoughts went into it :smile2: I love it that I'm able to read the series in both the original English, and Finnish, and they are both so fabulously made. 

Athena, what is Snape called in Dutch? Did they translate his name into something, too? 

I'm happy you didn't struggle with the writing like I did :D I saw you gave it 5/5 on Goodreads? :smile2:

You're totally right! Sirius Black is called Sirius Zwart here, black is 'zwart' in Dutch. I didn't think of that. Snape is called 'Sneep' in Dutch if I remember correctly. A snake in Dutch is a 'slang' so they're not entirely related. 'Sneep' would be pronounced similarly to the English 'Snape'. Diagonally is called 'Wegisweg' in Dutch which means 'roadisgone', two meanings of the word 'weg'.

How nice the Finnish translator is writing that book :). It's pretty great to be able to read the series in two languages, I agree :).

I`m always amused by the sounds that animals make in different languages - like Cock-a-doodle-do for English cockerels, and kik-a-ree-ki for German ones. :)

I find that quite interesting too. In Dutch it's 'kukeleku'.

I read Becky Albertalli - Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda. This is a contemporary novel about a teenager named Simon, who is gay. Simon e-mails with this guy called Blue (not his real name) and they really like each other. They go to the same school but they don't know who the other person is. One of Simon's classmates school finds out about Simon being gay, and wants to blackmail Simon. I thought it was a really good read. I really felt for Simon. He was a very likeable character. I really enjoyed reading this book. The book has chapters written from Simon's 1rst person view, and there are chapters with e-mails between Simon and Blue.

Then I read Peter Monn - The Before Now And After Then. This is also a book about a teenager who's gay (his name is Danny). I know the author of this book (through online), and I think this is the first time I read a novel knowing the author. I liked reading this book. Because I know the author I could recognise bits of his life in the book, and that was very nice. My only complaint is that the first edition I bought, contains a few spelling errors and typoes. But Penname Publishing is a small publisher (set up by Peter's friend Tonya if I remember correctly) and this is Peter's debut novel, so it's understandable. There weren't that many errors, but more than in ie. a book published by Penguin (such as Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda). It should be noted that I note errors very quickly, so someone else reading this book may not spot some of the errors. I really liked the characters in this book. Danny and Rusty were great, and Alex (Danny's "uncle", his mum's gay best friend) was a pretty cool character too.

Overall I really liked reading both books. I prefer Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda if I had to choose, but I'm glad I read both books.

Enjoy your new book ! :D Trudi Canavan`s an author I keep thinking about trying. Is there a particular book you`d recommend ? :)

Out of her books, I've read these:

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 1: The Magicians' Guild

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 2: The Novice

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 3: The High Lord

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 0: The Magician's Apprentice (prequel)

Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 1: The Ambassador's Mission

Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 2: The Rogue

Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 3: The Traitor Queen

Trudi Canavan - The Age Of The Five 1: Priestess Of The White

Trudi Canavan - The Age Of The Five 2: Last Of The Wilds

Trudi Canavan - The Age Of The Five 3: Voice Of The Gods

I haven't read:

Trudi Canavan - Millennium's Rule 1: Thief's Magic

Trudi Canavan - Millennium's Rule 2: Angel of Storms (the new one)

I would recommend reading The Traitor Spy Trilogy after reading The Black Magician Trilogy, because The Traitor Spy Trilogy takes place in the same world but some years later. I would also recommend reading The Black Magician Trilogy before reading the prequel The Magician's Apprentice, because I think it's a nicer introduction this way (you could read The Magician's Apprentice first too though). The Age of the Five is a trilogy in a completely different world, not related to the other two trilogies. Her books are high fantasy and feature strong female characters (in my opinion). So I guess I'd recommend starting with The Black Magician Trilogy 1: The Magicians' Guild (her debut, though probably the weakest novel out of all of them) or The Age Of The Five 1: Priestess Of The White, or Millennium's Rule 1: Thief's Magic, which is her YA high fantasy series, but I haven't read it yet so I can't tell you if it's good (I might wait until book 3 is out before reading all 3 of them). I've liked all of her books that I've read.

Nice pics ! :)

Thanks for the Trudi Canavan info. :D I`ve Kimpled The Black Magician, The Age of Five and Millenium`s Rule ( the first one looks especially good, but I like the sound of all of them :) ).

You're welcome. I hope you enjoy whichever one(s) you end up reading :D.

I read Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff - The Illuminae Files 1: Illuminae. This story is about two teenagers whose colony gets attacked and they flee it using space ships (along with many other people). But not all is well aboard the ships. It's told in a very interesting way, through chats, e-mails, interviews, case files, reports, black pages with white text formatted in an interesting way, etc. I thought this was a great way of telling the story. In the beginning I had a bit of trouble connecting to the characters, because of the way the story is written. I also didn't feel in the mood to read at that point, having just got my new phone I just wanted to focus on that instead :P. It took me 3 days to read the first 30% of the book, then yesterday I told myself to just sit down and read for a while - and I managed to read quite a lot then. I got much more into the story, reading it for a longer period of time, and I finished the book today. There were a couple of twists I didn't see coming - so good.

I'm curious about the next book, it looks like the paperback will be out shortly before my birthday, so I think I'll make it a birthday gift. Along with a couple of other books I discovered, most of which will be out in October. I'm excited :D.

I read A. S. King - Everybody Sees The Ants. This book is about a teenage boy named Lucky who is bullied by this mean boy. He lost his grandfather in the Vietnam War, his grandfather is still missing in action (MIA). At night he dreams about his grandfather in Vietnam. Lucky isn't sure what to do about the bullying. This was a nice book about bullying, grief, family, coming-of-age. I quite liked reading this book. The book has a little bit of magical realism, or not depending on your perspective.

I bought some new books at the Terre des Hommes yesterday:

Simon de Waal - Vector

Simon van der Geest (ill. Karst-Janneke Rogaar) - Per Ongelukt!

Esther Gerritsen - Broer

David Nicholls - One Day

Jonathan Coe - The Terrible Privary of Maxwell Sim

Cathy Kelly - Echt Verliefd! (Never Too Late)

Cathy Kelly - Voor Mijn Vriendin (Best of Friends)

A. M. Homes - Dit Boek Redt Je Leven (This Book Will Save Your Life)

NewBooks_2016-08-20_TdH_Spines_025cut.jpg

NewBooks_2016-08-20_TdH_Covers_025.jpg

Out of her books, I've read these:

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 1: The Magicians' Guild

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 2: The Novice

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 3: The High Lord

Trudi Canavan - The Black Magician Trilogy 0: The Magician's Apprentice (prequel)

Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 1: The Ambassador's Mission

Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 2: The Rogue

Trudi Canavan - The Traitor Spy Trilogy 3: The Traitor Queen

Trudi Canavan - The Age Of The Five 1: Priestess Of The White

Trudi Canavan - The Age Of The Five 2: Last Of The Wilds

Trudi Canavan - The Age Of The Five 3: Voice Of The Gods

I haven't read:

Trudi Canavan - Millennium's Rule 1: Thief's Magic

Trudi Canavan - Millennium's Rule 2: Angel of Storms (the new one)

I would recommend reading The Traitor Spy Trilogy after reading The Black Magician Trilogy, because The Traitor Spy Trilogy takes place in the same world but some years later. I would also recommend reading The Black Magician Trilogy before reading the prequel The Magician's Apprentice, because I think it's a nicer introduction this way (you could read The Magician's Apprentice first too though). The Age of the Five is a trilogy in a completely different world, not related to the other two trilogies. Her books are high fantasy and feature strong female characters (in my opinion). So I guess I'd recommend starting with The Black Magician Trilogy 1: The Magicians' Guild (her debut, though probably the weakest novel out of all of them) or The Age Of The Five 1: Priestess Of The White, or Millennium's Rule 1: Thief's Magic, which is her YA high fantasy series, but I haven't read it yet so I can't tell you if it's good (I might wait until book 3 is out before reading all 3 of them). I've liked all of her books that I've read.

I really liked the Black Magician Trilogy (though have not read the prequel yet), but I didn't really get on with the Age of Five trilogy, so I haven't read any of hers since. 

I really liked the Black Magician Trilogy (though have not read the prequel yet), but I didn't really get on with the Age of Five trilogy, so I haven't read any of hers since. 

I put the first Black Magician book in my ` buy when it`s a good price ` list on Amazon - it`s £2.06 now, so I`m waiting for more books to fall, to make it up to £10 for the free p&p. :)

That's a shame. The Age of the Five is different than The Black Magician Trilogy. I think The Traitor Spy Trilogy is more similar to the latter than to The Age of the Five. But I totally get you stopped reading after not really getting on with The Age of the Five. 

I put the first Black Magician book in my ` buy when it`s a good price ` list on Amazon - it`s £2.06 now, so I`m waiting for more books to fall, to make it up to £10 for the free p&p. :)

That sounds good :). That's a great price. 

Your new books look great ! :)

I'm still not quite feeling like reading, but I did manage to re-read Dominique Dumortier - Van Een Andere Planeet. It's a memoir about a woman with autism. It was 140 pages. The author belonged to the same mailing list I was a part of when I was a teenager, and when she said she was publishing her book, I bought it (this was back in 2002 or 2003 I think). I enjoyed re-reading this book. It was nice to read something different (that was my intention), and it was nice to read about things I recognise from my own life. Of course, there were also things in the memoir I don't recognise from my own life, but it was nice to read them anyway, it was pretty interesting.

That's a shame. The Age of the Five is different than The Black Magician Trilogy. I think The Traitor Spy Trilogy is more similar to the latter than to The Age of the Five. But I totally get you stopped reading after not really getting on with The Age of the Five. 

It may have just been one of those situations when sometimes you don't get on with books at certain times in your life, but revisiting them gets a better reaction. :)  I probably will have a look at the Traitor Spy trilogy at some point if that is more like the BM trilogy.

It may have just been one of those situations when sometimes you don't get on with books at certain times in your life, but revisiting them gets a better reaction. :)  I probably will have a look at the Traitor Spy trilogy at some point if that is more like the BM trilogy.

I have had that happen too in my life with certain books :).

You're totally right! Sirius Black is called Sirius Zwart here, black is 'zwart' in Dutch. I didn't think of that. Snape is called 'Sneep' in Dutch if I remember correctly. A snake in Dutch is a 'slang' so they're not entirely related. 'Sneep' would be pronounced similarly to the English 'Snape'. Diagonally is called 'Wegisweg' in Dutch which means 'roadisgone', two meanings of the word 'weg'.

Oh my, the 'zwart' brings back memories! I've started to re-watch the TV series Soap, and there's an elder man in the show who's been in the war and is now old and a bit senile, and re-lives the war on a daily basis, and then the family has a guest whose nickname is Dutch, and the war veteran thinks he is Dutch. Of Dutch origin, that is :D 

Thanks for the Dutch re-cap on the Harry Potter translations, that was interesting! I think 'Wegisweg' is such a brilliant translation. Obviously a bit obvious, because it's right there, but it just proves how perfectly amazing languages are :D Brilliant stuff!

I find that quite interesting too. In Dutch it's 'kukeleku'.

:D Kukeleku made me think of a ukulele :D  Over here, a cockerel's sound would be 'kukkokiekuu', which is very literal, as cockerel is 'kukko' in Finnish and when he's sounding out his very particular sound, the verb for it is 'kiekuu' in Finnish. So, kukko kiekuu 'kukkokiekuu'! :D 

:D Kukeleku made me think of a ukulele :D  Over here, a cockerel's sound would be 'kukkokiekuu', which is very literal, as cockerel is 'kukko' in Finnish and when he's sounding out his very particular sound, the verb for it is 'kiekuu' in Finnish. So, kukko kiekuu 'kukkokiekuu'! :D

Aw, that`s a nice word, too. :)

Aw, that`s a nice word, too. :)

Thanks! :D Although I can't take any ownership of the pride... :D Now I'm thinking about it, Athena's 'kukuleku' made me think there's a word 'kukkelikuu' in Finnish, and I don't know what it's supposed to mean or describe, as it's really nothing... maybe it's when adults talk to babies. Ah, maybe I'm actually thinking about 'kukkuluuruu', which one says in Finnish when you guys would say 'peekaboo' :)