Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

In the past week I've participated in something called the BookTube-A-Thon. BookTube is the YouTube community about books and for book lovers. BookTube-A-Thon is a weeklong read-a-thon in the summer (and a short winter one I think), this year it was 18th July - 24th July, with reading challenges, video challenges and Instagram challenges. I didn't partcipate in the video challenges or the Instagram challenges, because I don't have a BookTube channel and I don't have an Instagram account. The challenges did look fun though. I kept it off the forum since it's a BookTube thing, but I did want to post about the books I've read in the past week.

These were the challenges:

1. Read a book with yellow on the cover - for this I picked Tess Gerritsen - Incendio (Incendio)

2. Read a book only after sunset - I found this challenge the hardest as I go to bed quite a while before it gets dark and I get up a while after the sun rises. I don't see it get dark. So I did this challenge by reading a very short children's book when I woke up in the middle of the night. I re-read Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Peter Rabbit. It was the only way I could accomplish this challenge. It really depends on where you live and your daily schedule and such, how easy this challenge is to achieve.

3. Read a book you discovered through BookTube - for this I initially picked Michael Grant - Gone 6: Light or Nicola Yoon - Everything, Everything. I read both, so challenge accomplished.

4. Read a book by one of your favourite authors - for this I picked Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 6: Episode Six. I was really curious what would happen in the final book of the series. Plus, it was short. A good challenge, though.

5. Read a book that's older than you - this one I found a bit difficult too, because out of the books I own that are older than me, there weren't many that I really wanted to read. I picked Paul Gallico - The Snow Goose.

6. Read and watch a book-to-movie adaptation - for this I picked Jesse Andrews - Me and Earl and the Dying Girl.

7. Read seven books - I accomplished this.

Onto the books.

I started to read Jojo Moyes - Me Before You 2: After You on Saturday, but I didn't end up finishing it before the read-a-thon started on Monday. I finished this book on Monday. I liked it, but not as much as I liked the original book. It was an enjoyable read though and I'm glad I read the book. It took some different turns than I was expecting. I liked the book (even if not as much as the first book).

After that I read Tess Gerritsen - Incendio (Incendio), the Dutch translation has lots of yellow on the cover. I hadn't read anything by Tess Gerritsen before. My family has, and they've all recommended the books to me. I was pleasantly surprised by this book and a week later the story is still in my head. This was a very good read. I really enjoyed reading it.

Later on Monday I read Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 6: Episode 6. It was good to read the last book / episode in this series, and finally have no more cliffhangers! Admittedly I could've waited until all the episodes were out, and maybe I will do that next time. But either way, I really enjoyed reading this series.

For my book to read after dark, I decided to re-read Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Peter Rabbit whenever there'd be a night where I'd wake up in the middle of the night and feel awake enough to open up a book for 10 mins or so. I managed to accomplish this from Monday to Tuesday night, and I enjoyed re-reading this book.

On Tuesday morning I re-read Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin and I re-read Beatrix Potter - The Tale of Tom Kitten. I thought if I'm going to re-read the Peter Rabbit book, I might as well read the other two Beatrix Potter books I own. It was nice to read them again, though I liked The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin less than the other two.

Then I read Paul Gallico - The Snow Goose. I wasn't sure what this novella would be about, because my copy of it doesn't have a synopsis on it. It was a nice story, it ended in a different way than I thought it would. It's not something I would normally read, because of its age, it was first published in 1941, my copy is from 1951 (and is with that one of the oldest books on my shelf).

Later on Tuesday I started Jesse Andrews - Me and Earl and the Dying Girl, for my book-to-movie adaptation. I read the book and then watched the movie. The book was nice. I liked the humour in the book. I was less keen on some of the derogatory words against gay people and people of colour. A few things in the book seemed a bit stereotypical. I did appreciate that it was a story different from most stories that involve a person with cancer. Greg, the main character, is asked to become friends with a girl who has cancer, to brighten up her days. I also liked that Greg and Earl (his best friend) made movies and the description of those movies. The movie was nice too, though there were some changes compared with the book. I liked some of the changes, the film was less rude and less violent for example. They did however change a lot about the movies Greg and Earl made, I think for copyright reasons, and I found that a bit of a shame.

The next day I read Nicola Yoon - Everything, Everything. This was a good, quick read. The chapters were short which I liked for a read-a-thon. I quite liked this book. I can't tell you exactly why though because that would be spoiling it. This book is about a girl with an autoimmune disease who isn't allowed outside the house. Then new neighbours move in and through online contact she starts to fall in love with the boy living next door. I quite liked this book.

On Thursday I read Michael Grant - Gone 6: Light. I read this in one day. That's quite unusual for me, since it's 450 pages and it does require some processing. But once I got pretty far into the book, I really wanted to finish it. I enjoyed reading this last book of the series. On one hand I'm kind of sad it's over now and I won't see anymore of these great characters, and on the other it's also nice I can stop thinking about the characters and their lives and small cliffhangers and such. I enjoyed reading this last book in the series.

The next day I read a couple of short books by J. K. Rowling. I read J. K. Rowling - Quidditch Through The Ages and J. K. Rowling - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them and I re-read J. K. Rowling - The Tales of Beedle the Bard. Out of the three, I like the last one I mentioned the most and the first one the least. I enjoyed all of them though.

It took me couple of days to read A. S. King - Please Ignore Vera Dietz. I don't know, I was feeling tired and doing other stuff. Anyway, I enjoyed this book. It wasn't entirely what the synopsis told me, I mean, it was about that but it was also about other things, but I enjoyed the book. It's told in the 'now' and in flashback chapters. The chapters are short and I liked that. We mainly see things from Vera's point of view - a girl whose ex-best friend has died - but we also see a couple of other perspectives throughout the book (with the pagoda being the most original point of view). I enjoyed reading this book, it wasn't my favourite read by A. S. King though, but it was enjoyable.

And that concludes the past week (Mon-Sun) of reading.

I'm waiting for one book to come in the post, then I'll catalogue and post about all my new books (ordered online). I also picked up a couple of Donald Duck Pockets this past weekend, I will post about those too.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read Diane Chamberlain - Riley MacPherson 0.5: The Broken String, which was a nice prequel. I think I would've enjoyed it more though if I had actually read it close to reading the actual book (The Silent Sister). I didn't know about this short story when I read The Silent Sister last year.

I read Diane Chamberlain - The Dance 0.5: The Dance Begins, this was a nice prequel (I'm currently reading Pretending to Dance, which is the book of which this short story is the prequel). I quite enjoyed reading this prequel.

I ordered some new books recently:

Barbara Ann Kipfer - 14,000 Things To Be Happy About

Gretchen Rubin - The Happiness Project: Or Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun

Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 2: The Killing of Polly Carter

Becky Albertalli - Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda

E. Lockhart - We Were Liars

Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist

Jenny Han - To All The Boys I've Loved Before 1: To All The Boys I've Loved Before

Jenny Han - To All The Boys I've Loved Before 2: P. S. I Still Love You

Holly Smale - Geek Girl 5: Head Over Heels

Sinéad Moriarty - The Secrets Sisters Keep

Sinéad Moriarty - The Way We Were

Soman Chainani - The School for Good and Evil 1: The School for Good and Evil

Soman Chainani - The School for Good and Evil 2: A World Without Princes

Soman Chainani - The School for Good and Evil 3: The Last Ever After

V. E. Schwab - Vicious 1: Vicious

V. E. Schwab - Shades of Magic 1: A Darker Shade of Magic

V. E. Schwab - Shades of Magic 2: A Gathering of Shadows

V. E. Schwab - Monsters of Verity 1: This Savage Song

Kass Morgan - The 100 1: The 100

Kass Morgan - The 100 2: Day 21

Kass Morgan - The 100 3: Homecoming

Marie Lu - The Young Elites 1: The Young Elites

Marie Lu - The Young Elites 2: The Rose Society

Ally Condie - Matched 3: Reached

Rachel Ward - Numbers 3: Infinity

Michael Grant - BZRK 2: BZRK: Reloaded

Michael Grant - BZRK 3: BZRK: Apocalypse

Marissa Meyer - The Lunar Chronicles 1: Cinder

Ransom Riggs - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 2: Hollow City

Ransom Riggs - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children 3: Library of Souls

Robin Hobb - Fitz and the Fool 2: Fool's Quest

NewBooksBolcom_Spines_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers1_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers2_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers3_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers4_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers5_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers6_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers7_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers8_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers9_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers10_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers11_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers11_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers13_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers14_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers15_025.jpg

NewBooksBolcom_Covers16_025.jpg

I bought a couple of books at the supermarket on sale:

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 207 1/2: Paniek Om Een Ei

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 214: De Bende Van El Gato

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 214 1/2: Spoken In Duckstad

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 216: Een Wonderlijke Kerst

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 217: Terug In De Tijd

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 220: Het Reddende Licht

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 224: De Opstand Van De Tekstblokjes

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 232: Het Geheim Van De Winter

NewBooksAH_Spines_025.jpg

NewBooksAH_Covers1_025.jpg

NewBooksAH_Covers2_025.jpg

I bought some Kindle short stories:

Diane Chamberlain - Riley McPherson 0.5: The Broken String

Michael Grant - BZRK 0.5: BZRK: Origins

Susan Hatler - Dear Aubrey 1: The Crush Dilemma

Susan Hatler - The Mind Reader 1: Shaken

These few books are still to come:

Peter Monn - The Before Now And After Then

Trudi Canavan - Millennium's Rule 2: Angel of Storms (pre-order)

Victoria Schwab - The Archived 2: The Unbound

Becky Chambers - The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet

A. S. King - Reality Boy

Lia Romeo and Nick Romeo - 11,002 Things To Be Miserable About

Neil Pasricha - The Book of Awesome

Hurray for the Gretchen Rubin book - I`m currently re-reading it this year, ie, one chapter per month. :)

I hope the Death in Paradise book is good ; it`s on my `buy at some point` list.   :D

That sounds like a nice idea! I might do that too. I'm not sure I want to wait until January to start the book though, and I might just read the whole thing in like a month. But it's a neat idea :).

I hope the Death in Paradise book will be good, and that you enjoy it when you get / read it :).

I'm curious about the Michael Grant and Marie Lu and I look forward to reading the Matched series with you!

Me too :)!

EDIT: I totally meant to buy Terry Pratchett's The Shepherd's Crown, but somehow I didn't even though I clicked the buy button, and it disappeared off my wishlist. I'll try to order it next time I order stuff online.

Edited by Athena

That sounds like a nice idea! I might do that too. I'm not sure I want to wait until January to start the book though, and I might just read the whole thing in like a month. But it's a neat idea :).

Her second book is very similar, and runs from Sept-May ( so I`m rereading that soon ;) ). 

I hope the Death in Paradise book will be good, and that you enjoy it when you get / read it  :).

Thanks. :)

EDIT: I totally meant to buy Terry Pratchett's The Shepherd's Crown, but somehow I didn't even though I clicked the buy button, and it disappeared off my wishlist. I'll try to order it next time I order stuff online.

Boo ! How disappointing. :(

I'm about to order it, along with Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff, and the Gretchen Rubin book you mentioned :P:D.

Hurray !  :giggle2:

Illuminae looks absolutely fascinating ; I hope it`s as good as it seems. :)

BTW, I`ve been quite tempted by this - Orange.  I think you might like it too ? :D

Hurray !  :giggle2:

Illuminae looks absolutely fascinating ; I hope it`s as good as it seems. :)

BTW, I`ve been quite tempted by this - Orange.  I think you might like it too ? :D

I've added it to my wishlist! Unfortunately, the Dutch shop where I normally order my books from here, sells it and also the second volume, at very expensive prices compared with other books and manga. But the story sounds very interesting to me :D. I might buy them some time :). Do you know if the two volumes make up the full story?

EDIT:

I read Diane Chamberlain - The Dance 1: Pretending to Dance. It was a nice book. I didn't enjoy it as much as some of her other books though. The last 50 or so pages were quite good, they made me have a better feeling about the book overall. I felt there were maybe a bit too many flashbacks and not enough going on in the present. It felt a bit disjointed, the two stories that were going on. They involved the same person, but didn't come together much until later on in the book. I did enjoy reading the book but not as much as I enjoyed reading some of her other books.

Edited by Athena

I've added it to my wishlist! Unfortunately, the Dutch shop where I normally order my books from here, sells it and also the second volume, at very expensive prices compared with other books and manga. But the story sounds very interesting to me :D. I might buy them some time :). Do you know if the two volumes make up the full story?

According to this,  the two books make up the complete collection. :) I`ve got it in my ` get to at some point` list. :)

Pity that Diane Chamberlain book was a bit of a letdown. :(

According to this,  the two books make up the complete collection. :) I`ve got it in my ` get to at some point` list. :)

Pity that Diane Chamberlain book was a bit of a letdown. :(

Oooh thanks for that. I hadn't seen that (I don't normally read the text for sequels just in case it spoils what happens in the first book, now I only read the beginning bit). They will go on that list for me too :).

Yeah :(. Gladly she has written more books I haven't read yet, so hopefully the next one will be nicer. It was still enjoyable but I was a bit disappointed to be honest.

I've ordered some more books online:

Brent Weeks - Lightbringer 3: The Broken Eye

Ernest Cline - Armada

Sarah J. Maas - A Court of Thorns and Roses 1: A Court of Thorns and Roses

Sarah J. Maas - A Court of Thorns and Roses 2: A Court of Mist and Fury

Rachel Cohn and David Levithan - Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List

Rick Yancey - The 5th Wave 2: Infinite Sea

Rick Yancey - The 5th Wave 3: The Last Star

I went to the library, and they were having a sale I didn't know about. What a nice surprise :D. This is what I bought:

Chris Mould - Vreselijk Vreemde Verhalen 2: De Stormlopers (Something Wickedly Weird 2: The Icy Hand)

Prunella Bat - Milla & Sugar 3: Eenmaal Een Heks Altijd Een Heks

Emily Rodda - Deltora 3 2: Schaduwport (Deltora Quest 3 2: Shadowgate)

Emily Rodda - Deltora 3 4: De Laatste Bewaker (Deltora Quest 3 4: The Sister of the South)

H. L. McCutchen - LichtLand (LightLand)

Eoin Colfer - De Supernaturalist (The Supernaturalist)

Angela Sommer-Bodenburg - De Kleine Vampier 4: De Kleine Vampier Op De Boerderij (Der Kleine Vampir auf dem Bauernhof)

Bies van Ede - Toen De Duivel Op Zuidpunt Kwam

Paul van Loon - De Griezelbus 6

Het Griezelgenootschap - Griezelverzen 2

Sanne de Bakker - Mozart 2: De Jonge Mozart En Het Complot In Wenen

Carry Slee - Het Drakenpad

Jacques Vriens - De Bende Van De Korenwolf 1: De Verdwijning Van De Mislukte Barbie

Ingelin Angerborn - De Dag Dat Ik Een Hond Wilde Zijn (Önskestjärnan)

Victoria Farkas - Ik Sterf 1000 Doden

Rebecca James - Schitterend Kwaad (Beautiful Malice)

Josée Algra - Blindganger

Michèle Marineau - De Weg Naar Chlifa (La Route de Chlifa)

Tosca Menten - Dummie De Mummie 1: Dummie De Mummie En De Gouden Scarabee

Joost Heyink - Morgen Sla Ik Terug

Pseudonimus Bosch - Secret 1: De Naam Van Dit Boek Is Geheim (Pseudonymous Bosch - Secret 1: The Name Of This Book Is Secret)

Mel Wallis de Vries - Waanzin

Hans van de Waarsenburg - Lieve Droomkop

Hans van de Waarsenburg - Gedicht voor Tamara

Guinness World Records - Guinness World Records 2010

This book was in the library sale book shelves but it wasn't actually from the library. So they let me have it for free!:

Virginia Andrews - Hudson 3: Het Oog van de Storm (Eye of the Storm)

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-07-26_Spines_025.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-07-26_Covers1_025.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-07-26_Covers2_025.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-07-26_Covers3_025.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-07-26_Covers4_025.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-07-26_Covers5_025.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-07-26_Covers6_025.jpg

NewBooksLibrarySale_2016-07-26_Covers7_025.jpg

I also loaned some books from the library. It's holidays, so I get to loan the books 4 weeks instead of the usual 3.

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 72: Geef Gas, Geronimo! (Ingrana La Marcia, Stilton!)

Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 3: Pukkelpaniek! (Lo Strano Caso dei Brufoli Blu)

Geronimo Stilton - Rode Reeks 1: De Grote Voetbalfinale (Finale di Supercoppa... a Topazia!)

Geronimo Stilton - Gullivers Reizen (I Viaggi di Gulliver)

Angie Sage - Araminta Spookie 3: Ge-kik-napt (Frognapped)

Angie Sage - Araminta Spookie 4: De Kliervampier (Vampire Brat)

Georgie Pritchett (ill. Jamie Littler) - Wilf The Mighty Worrier 1: Wilf The Mighty Worrier Saves The World

Georgie Pritchett (ill. Jamie Littler) - Wilf The Mighty Worrier 2: Wilf The Mighty Worrier Battles A Pirate

Julian Clary (ill. David Roberts) - Familie Bold 1: De Beestachtige Familie Bold (The Bolds 1: The Bolds)

Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton - Treehouse 3: The 39-Story Treehouse

Tim Collins - Nurdius Maximus 4: Het Dagboek van Nurdius Maximus in de Lage Landen

Sabine Zett - Hugo 5: Hugo Chillt (Hugo Chillt)

Ulysses Moore - Ulysses Moore 4: Het Eiland van de Maskers (L'Isola delle Maschere)

Stuart Gibbs - Maanbasis Alfa 2: Het Maan-mysterie (Moon Base Alpha 2: Spaced Out)

Do van Ranst - Samuel 1: Voluit Samuel

Lois Lowry - The Giver 1: The Giver: Bewaker van Herinneringen

Will Davis - My Side Of The Story

Robin Benway - Emmy & Oliver

Jenny Downham - You Against Me

Naomi Novik - Ontworteld (Uprooted)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - De Klifkronieken: De Twijg-trilogie 1: Ver Voorbij Het Diepe Woud (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga 1: Beyond The Deepwoods)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - De Klifkronieken: De Twijg-trilogie 2: De Stormenjager (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga 2: Stormchaser)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - De Klifkronieken: De Twijg-trilogie 3: Dreiging Over Sanctaphrax (The Edge Chronicles: The Twig Saga 3: Midnight Over Sanctaphrax)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - De Klifkronieken: De Roek Darkwater-trilogie 1: De Laatste Luchtpiraat (The Edge Chronicles: The Rook Trilogy 1: The Last Of The Sky Pirates)

Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell - De Klifkronieken: De Roek Darkwater-trilogie 2: De Wraak Van Vox Verlix (The Edge Chronicles: The Rook Trilogy 2: Vox)

LibraryLoans_2016-07-30_Spines_025.jpg

LibraryLoans_2016-07-30_Covers1_025.jpg

LibraryLoans_2016-07-30_Covers2_025.jpg

LibraryLoans_2016-07-30_Covers3_025.jpg

LibraryLoans_2016-07-30_Covers4_025.jpg

LibraryLoans_2016-07-30_Covers5_025.jpg

LibraryLoans_2016-07-30_Covers6_025.jpg

EDIT: My dad loaned me Peter H. Diamandis and Steven Kotler - Abundance: The Future Is Better Than You Think which I'll be reading at some point.

Edited by Athena

I hope you like The Giver!

Thanks, Anna :)!

That`s a great book haul ! How nice that there was a `surprise` sale at the Library. :D

Thanks, Sarah :)! I agree :D

It sounds like a really good dream - I went to library, there was a surprise sale and then they gave me a free book! - why can't that ever happen to me? :giggle2:

Hope you enjoy all your new books  :smile:

Haha :giggle2:. I consider myself lucky :).

Thanks, Hayley :)!

July 2016 Summary

Books read: 47

Pages read: 9763

Books read in the read-a-thon: 20

Pages read in the read-a-thon: 3526

Books read outside of the read-a-thon: 27

Pages read outside of the read-a-thon: 6237

Most impressive / Favourites of the month:

Jodi Picoult - Nineteen Minutes

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Odysseus (Le Avventure di Ulisse)

Francine Oomen - Rosa & Co 1: Hoe Overleeft Rosa In New York?

Nicola Yoon - Everything, Everything

Tess Gerritsen - Incendio (Incendio)

Michael Grant - Gone 6: Light

Slightly less my favourites but still really good, this month:

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 0.5: Hoe Overleef Ik Met / Zonder Gescheiden Ouders?

Thea Stilton - Princessen van Fantasia 5: De Schaduwprinses (Principessa del Buio)

Geronimo Stilton - Kronieken van Fantasia 4: De Ring van Licht (L'Anello di Luce)

Geronimo Stilton - Kronieken van Fantasia 6: Het Geheim van de Ridders (Il Segreto dei Cavalieri)

Thea Stilton - De Prins van Atlantis (Nel Regno di Atlantide: Il Principe di Atlantide)

Biggest disappointment / Least favourite of the month:

Katie Davies (ill. Hannah Shaw) - Animal Antics 1: The Great Hamster Massacre

Other notes:

July is now the month in the year 2016 in which I've read the most books, so far! (Not the most pages).

How did you get all your books home from the library... :giggle: 

Well, my mum drove me to the library / to town, she went shopping. I went to the sale area and after buying the books, I carried them to the car. Then I walked back to the library and borrowed books. I met up with my mum in the library once I was done, and together we carried the books to the car. But yes, it can be tricky :giggle2:.

EDIT: I read Stuart Gibbs - Maanbasis Alfa 2: Het Maan-mysterie (Moon Base Alpha 2: Spaced Out). I really liked book 1 in this series, and I also liked reading this book. I wanted to keep on reading to find out what was going on.

EDIT2: I (finally) received Peter Monn - The Before Now And After Then :D.

NewBook_2016-08-02_Cover_05.jpg

NewBook_2016-08-02_Spine_0125.jpg

Edited by Athena

I read Robin Benway - Emmy & Oliver. It was an allright book, but I didn't love it. I'm not sure I can pinpoint exactly why, it's just that at some point I was just not as interested anymore in reading what would happen with the characters in the story. It was still an allright read, but it wasn't as good as I was hoping it would be.