Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

I get really jealous of the Horrible Histories :)

I can't wait for you to read Different Seasons!

Can you not get them in the U.S.? I guess maybe not some of them at least, the ones that are about Britain (ie. Stuarts, Tudors, Georgians, Victorians), haven't been translated into Dutch at least. I was lucky to find them in a British charity shop. The ones about the Romans, ancient Greeks, Egyptians, Stone Age, Middle Ages, etc., have been translated into Dutch. Anyway, I quite enjoy reading the Horrible Histories books :) (and also Horrible Science).

I'll be sure to let you know what I think of Different Seasons when I read it :).

I read Nick Arnold (ill. Tony De Saulles) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Schokkende Elektriciteit (Horrible Science: Shocking Electricity). This was a nice read. I already knew a lot of the information (since I've studied chemistry and a bit of physics), but I liked learning some new things and I liked the illustrations and the way the story was told. The book was funny too.

I then read Philippe Lechermeier and Rébecca Dautremer - Het Geheime Dagboek van Klein Duimpje (Journal Secret du Petit Poucet). I wasn't expecting a lot from this book since I hadn't heard anything about it, I just picked it up at the library because I liked the look of it. The book really surprised me, it was very good! I quite liked the story, there was humour in the book and I liked the illustrations.

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the longest book I've ever read is, I think, IT by Stephen King. My English copy has 1376 pages. The Dutch small paperback I have (which is what I read the first time I read the book), has less pages for some reason (usually Dutch translated books have more pages than the English). Other long books I've read include The Stand by Stephen King, 1327 pages and some of Peter F. Hamilton's books (ie. his The Night's Dawn trilogy), some of the The Wheel of Time books by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson, one of Tad William's Otherland series books and The Pillars of the Earth series by Ken Follett (2 books). Hmm, that's more than I thought, when I think about it. But the average page count I read this year so far, is ~235 - 240 pages. I read quite a few books under 300 pages. This year so far, only ~7% of the books I read was over 500 pages, and ~63% was under 250 pages (~30% were between 250 and 500 pages). So I read much more shorter books than longer ones, but I do enjoy a long book every once in a while (I hope none of this comes across as bragging, that's not how I intended it :hide:). I used to read a lot more longer books but since I became a member of the library two years ago, I'm reading more children's books and more shorter books. I also used to read more fantasy (for adults) and not so much contemporary fiction whereas nowadays I read more contemporary fiction (for children, young-adults and adults) than I used to.

It depends on what kind of books a person normally reads I think, all those I've mentioned are fantasy, science-fiction, horror or historical fiction. Epic fantasy and epic space opera science-fiction are known for being quite long books normally, and most are series rather than standalone books. You read more mystery books, I think? Those are usually not as long (at least, not the ones I own).

We're all readers and a short book can be just as nice as a long one, in my opinion :).

Exactly :D - it`s that we all love reading that`s important, not how much or what type of book.   :friends3:

I think the mystery books I`ve read lately are around 200-230 pages ; I can`t recall ones which are much longer. :) I like Urban fantasy too, but even those don`t tend to be of the same length as Epic Fantasy. 

BTY, Have you read A Wrinkle in Time or Cat in the Mirror ?  They`re in my ` maybe buy and try in the future` list. :)

Exactly :D - it`s that we all love reading that`s important, not how much or what type of book.   :friends3:

I think the mystery books I`ve read lately are around 200-230 pages ; I can`t recall ones which are much longer. :) I like Urban fantasy too, but even those don`t tend to be of the same length as Epic Fantasy. 

BTY, Have you read A Wrinkle in Time or Cat in the Mirror ?  They`re in my ` maybe buy and try in the future` list. :)

Very true :friends3:.

No, I haven't. I haven't heard of Cat in the Mirror, but it sounds good! I've heard of A Wrinkle in Time, multiple people have recommended it to me. My library doesn't have it unfortunately and I haven't been able to find it cheap anywhere here. With children's books I'm reluctant to buy them at a higher price unless I'm really sure I'll love them. Most of the children's books I read I already owned from when I was a child, or are from the library or I bought really cheap at the book fair or second-hand in the charity shop. Maybe I'll find it some day.

Those new books look lovely; I especially like the look of the Agatha Christie ones. :)

Thanks :). I couldn't resist when I saw those, I have two other Agatha Christie omnibusses in the same edition.

I read Jet Manrho and Others - BoekieBoekie 100: De Ongelofelijke Avonturen van Jules Verne, a collection of retellings, short stories and poems based on some of Jules Verne's books. I really liked the illustrations in this book, the illustrators are both adults and children and the styles vary a lot. I was less keen on the actual text of the book, some of it wasn't that interesting and I'm not a big fan of poems anyway. So I didn't like this book so much, other than the illustrations.

Then I read Charles Ogden (ill. Rick Carton) - Edgar & Ellen 1: Zeldzame Dieren (Rare Beasts) and Charles Ogden (ill. Rick Carton) - Edgar & Ellen 2: De Valstrik (Tourist Trap). The first book was allright, but I wasn't keen on the main characters and what they did to the animals and the nice children. If I hadn't borrowed book 2, I'm not sure if I would've looked for it in the library. But I decided, since I borrowed book 2, I'd give it a shot. And I actually liked book 2 a lot better. I was on the main characters' side this time, it was funny and overall I liked this book better.

Edited by Athena

I read Mac Bernett and Jory John (ill. Kevin Cornell) - De Vreselijke Twee 2: De Vreselijke Twee Nog Vreselijker (The Terrible Two 2: The Terrible Two Get Worse). I borrowed this book from the library after I'd read a good review about it on a blog (I read a review of the second book, though I would've also borrowed the first if the library had had it available). I quite enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure if I would like it, beforehand, but I quite liked it and the book had some humour.

I then read Rüdiger Bertram and Heribert Schulmeyer - Coolman en Ik 1: Coolman en Ik (Coolman und Ich). I was not so keen on this book, it was a bit of a disappointment. I liked the concept of the main character seeing an imaginary person, but I didn't like some of the things that happened in the book. There were some funny parts but some things annoyed me. I bought this book (book 1) in a library sale. I borrowed books 2 and 3 from the library, but decided I didn't feel like reading them so I haven't. Instead I started one of my other unread library loans.

Very true :friends3:.

No, I haven't. I haven't heard of Cat in the Mirror, but it sounds good! I've heard of A Wrinkle in Time, multiple people have recommended it to me. My library doesn't have it unfortunately and I haven't been able to find it cheap anywhere here. With children's books I'm reluctant to buy them at a higher price unless I'm really sure I'll love them. Most of the children's books I read I already owned from when I was a child, or are from the library or I bought really cheap at the book fair or second-hand in the charity shop. Maybe I'll find it some day.

That`s what`s putting me off giving them a go - childrens` books seem more expensive for fewer pages. 

That`s what`s putting me off giving them a go - childrens` books seem more expensive for fewer pages.

I agree, that seems to be the case. A lot of the children's books I read, come from the library (and children's books are what I mostly loan from the library, for books for adults I generally prefer to own them myself). Sometimes I think illustrations definitely feature into that, as children's books tend to have more illustrations, sometimes even coloured illustrations, than books for adults. But not always, a lot of children's books don't contain any illustrations.

I read Mark Cotta Vaz - The Making of Eragon (The Making of Eragon), a book about the making of the movie Eragon. I don't normally read books like this, but I went past the 'movie / TV / etc for children and young-adults' book section at the library and saw this book. I thought I'd give it a go (since it's free). I've seen the movie several times - and I read the first book in the series (the movie is based on the first book). I haven't yet read books 2, 3 and 4 (though at the time of writing The Making of Eragon book, the series was planned as a trilogy). I enjoyed hearing from the author of the series, who started writing the first book when he was 15 I believe. It's pretty amazing when you read his story, his family gambled everything on his book (titled Eragon), and he sold lots of copies (and deserved, I really liked Eragon). It was also interesting to read how the movie was made, and see behind-the-scenes photos.

I read:

Deborah Kespert - Knappe Koppen! (Genius!)

Mike Goldsmith - Eureka! (Eureka!)

They're both published by the same Dutch publisher in the same layout style. I don't know if that was the case in the original English, but they were pretty similar other than that they discussed different inventors / inventions and some subjects. I enjoyed reading these books. Of course I knew a lot of things already, but it was good to refresh my knowledge and to learn some new things and to learn some background inforamtion. I also liked the pictures and the writing styles.

This marks the end of reading my library loans (since I decided to skip those Coolman en Ik books). Now I can read some of my own books :)!

I agree, that seems to be the case. A lot of the children's books I read, come from the library (and children's books are what I mostly loan from the library, for books for adults I generally prefer to own them myself). Sometimes I think illustrations definitely feature into that, as children's books tend to have more illustrations, sometimes even coloured illustrations, than books for adults. But not always, a lot of children's books don't contain any illustrations.

I read Mark Cotta Vaz - The Making of Eragon (The Making of Eragon), a book about the making of the movie Eragon. I don't normally read books like this, but I went past the 'movie / TV / etc for children and young-adults' book section at the library and saw this book. I thought I'd give it a go (since it's free). I've seen the movie several times - and I read the first book in the series (the movie is based on the first book). I haven't yet read books 2, 3 and 4 (though at the time of writing The Making of Eragon book, the series was planned as a trilogy). I enjoyed hearing from the author of the series, who started writing the first book when he was 15 I believe. It's pretty amazing when you read his story, his family gambled everything on his book (titled Eragon), and he sold lots of copies (and deserved, I really liked Eragon). It was also interesting to read how the movie was made, and see behind-the-scenes photos.

If I like a book/film then I love reading books like these that tell you all about the making of them etc. How amazing to have written a best seller at 15!!! 

I wonder how old the oldest person to have written a debut novel is? (in code this means .. is it too late for me? :lol:) It's nice that it all worked out for the family after staking all they had on it. 

Great review Gaia! xx

If I like a book/film then I love reading books like these that tell you all about the making of them etc. How amazing to have written a best seller at 15!!! 

I wonder how old the oldest person to have written a debut novel is? (in code this means .. is it too late for me? :lol:) It's nice that it all worked out for the family after staking all they had on it. 

Great review Gaia! xx

That's an interesting question! I'd like to know the answer too (haha :D). I agree, it's very young and I'm happy for his family everything worked out.

Thanks Kay :cows: xx.

I wonder how old the oldest person to have written a debut novel is? (in code this means .. is it too late for me? :lol:)

Mary Wesley didn't get her first novel for adults published until she was 71. She wrote a couple of children's books in her late fifties, but I'm not sure that they were that successful, unlike her adult novels, which I think were fantastic. She went on to write nine more bestselling novels over the next fifteen years.  So, Kay, this means that there is still definitely time for you to get published yet! :D

Mary Wesley didn't get her first novel for adults published until she was 71. She wrote a couple of children's books in her late fifties, but I'm not sure that they were that successful, unlike her adult novels, which I think were fantastic. She went on to write nine more bestselling novels over the next fifteen years.  So, Kay, this means that there is still definitely time for you to get published yet! :D

Wow 71, it's so nice she got published, a dream come true perhaps (for her).

I re-read Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 0: New Spring. I've been meaning to re-read The Wheel of Time series (one of my favourite epic fantasy series, my most favourite if I really had to pick). I thought this time around I'd start with the prequel and then read the rest of the series (obviously the first time around I started with book 1, and that's how I think one should do it, as book 1 is an excellent introduction into the world). I quite enjoyed re-reading this prequel. You do notice different things upon a second time reading the book. I look forward to read the rest of the series. In fact, I was so excited, I started book 1 after I finished book 0, because I wanted to read about a lot of the amazing characters in the series. I was planning on reading one a month, to start in October 2016 and finish in December 2017 (14 books + 1 prequel), but I felt in the mood this month, and I felt in the mood to start book 1 after finishing book 0, so I'm just going to read book 1 now, then maybe read one per month. Book 1 is called The Eye of the World. I really enjoyed reading the prequel and to be in The Wheel of Time world again.

I re-read Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World. After re-reading the prequel New Spring, I couldn't help myself and wanted to meet a lot of my favourite characters (who are introduced in book 1). I really enjoyed re-reading The Eye of the World. It's interesting that a couple of foreshadowing things make more sense to me now (having read the whole series), that was nice to read (things I'd completely forgot about). I look forward to read the rest of the series. I do feel ready for a book of a different genre now, hence I started something else (Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 2: The Killing of Polly Carter to be precise, a mystery / detective novel set in contemporary times on a fictional island based on the TV show Death in Paradise). My plan is to read a The Wheel of Time book every month, we'll see how it goes though. But that seems like a good schedule to not get author or series burnout. If I read too many books by the same author or in the same series, too close together, I tire of it and don't want to read it anymore for a while. Once a month was a schedule that worked well for the Gone series by Michael Grant, so I think I'll try it with The Wheel of Time too. I'm loving re-reading the series, and at that schedule I should be done before the end of 2017. I have to see how it goes though with my mood and my library loans, I might skip a month now and then.

I read Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 2: The Killing of Polly Carter. This was really good, I enjoyed it. I did guess who the killer was, but not the how and the why. I really liked this book, it's a lot like watching the TV show. I read and liked book 1 in this series too (the previous novel by the author - who is also the writer for the TV series I think). It was great to read this detective story. A lot of the detective / mystery books I've read this year, have been by Baantjer or they were children's mystery books, it was very nice to read something different.

I re-read Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 0: New Spring. I've been meaning to re-read The Wheel of Time series (one of my favourite epic fantasy series, my most favourite if I really had to pick). I thought this time around I'd start with the prequel and then read the rest of the series (obviously the first time around I started with book 1, and that's how I think one should do it, as book 1 is an excellent introduction into the world). I quite enjoyed re-reading this prequel. You do notice different things upon a second time reading the book. I look forward to read the rest of the series. In fact, I was so excited, I started book 1 after I finished book 0, because I wanted to read about a lot of the amazing characters in the series. I was planning on reading one a month, to start in October 2016 and finish in December 2017 (14 books + 1 prequel), but I felt in the mood this month, and I felt in the mood to start book 1 after finishing book 0, so I'm just going to read book 1 now, then maybe read one per month. Book 1 is called The Eye of the World. I really enjoyed reading the prequel and to be in The Wheel of Time world again.

I'm sure you'll beat me in my re-read/new read of TWoT ;)

I've not read the prequel at yet. As someone who's only got to book 8 before, when would you recommend would be a good time to read that one?

I read Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 2: The Killing of Polly Carter. This was really good, I enjoyed it. I did guess who the killer was, but not the how and the why. I really liked this book, it's a lot like watching the TV show. I read and liked book 1 in this series too (the previous novel by the author - who is also the writer for the TV series I think). It was great to read this detective story. A lot of the detective / mystery books I've read this year, have been by Baantjer or they were children's mystery books, it was very nice to read something different.

Oh, you've been reading it too ! Snap ! How nice. :)

I'm sure you'll beat me in my re-read/new read of TWoT ;)

I've not read the prequel at yet. As someone who's only got to book 8 before, when would you recommend would be a good time to read that one?

Haha, maybe :).

The prequel was published between books 10 and 11, so I recommend to read it after reading book 10, that should be a safe bet. The book mentions some plot points and information that is revealed in the normal books, so it's best not to read it before at least reading the first 6 books (or you'll spoil things for yourself, though as you say you've already read up to book 8). But it was published between books 10 and 11 and I really think that's the best time for reading it. Personally I read the prequel after reading book 13, because I wasn't sure when to read it and that worked out for me. So I'd say if you want to be safe, after book 10 is a good time :).

Oh, you've been reading it too ! Snap ! How nice. :)

That's so nice :)! I hope you like it as much as I did :).

The prequel was published between books 10 and 11, so I recommend to read it after reading book 10, that should be a safe bet. The book mentions some plot points and information that is revealed in the normal books, so it's best not to read it before at least reading the first 6 books (or you'll spoil things for yourself, though as you say you've already read up to book 8). But it was published between books 10 and 11 and I really think that's the best time for reading it. Personally I read the prequel after reading book 13, because I wasn't sure when to read it and that worked out for me. So I'd say if you want to be safe, after book 10 is a good time :).

Thank you :)

WoT used to be one of my favourite series, but like many people, I became extremely frustrated with the bloated writing of the later books. Sandersen did rein it back in a lot in his contributions, but I have some issues with his writing style (his excessively casual tone can be very distracting, for one thing), so on the whole I really like books 1-5, and not much after. 

Thank you :)

You're welcome :)

WoT used to be one of my favourite series, but like many people, I became extremely frustrated with the bloated writing of the later books. Sandersen did rein it back in a lot in his contributions, but I have some issues with his writing style (his excessively casual tone can be very distracting, for one thing), so on the whole I really like books 1-5, and not much after.

I can see how not everyone would like WoT, I'm sorry you didn't like the later books. Brandon Sanderson is one of my favourite authors (as well as Robert Jordan), I discovered him through reading the WoT books, but I can see his writing is not for everyone. We all like different things, so :).

September 2016 Summary

Books read: 35

Pages read: 7584

Books read in the read-a-thon: 8

Pages read in the read-a-thon: 1190

Books read outside of the read-a-thon: 27

Pages read outside of the read-a-thon: 6394

Most impressive / Favourites of the month:

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World (re-read)

Luc Descamps - Gewoon Anders

Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 2: The Killing of Polly Carter

Lucy Diamond - The Beach Café: A Baby at the Beach Café

Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton - De Waanzinnige Boomhut 4: De Waanzinnige Boomhut van 52 Verdiepingen (Treehouse 4: The 52-Storey Treehouse)

Lincoln Peirce - Niek de Groot 2: Niek de Groot Flikt Het 'M Weer (Big Nate 2: Big Nate Strikes Again)

Gary Northfield - Julius Zebra 1: Rumble with the Romans!

Philippe Lechermeier and Rébecca Dautremer - Het Geheime Dagboek van Klein Duimpje (Journal Secret du Petit Poucet)

Slightly less my favourites but still really good, this month:

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 0: New Spring (re-read)

Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road

Hilde E. Gerard (ill. Lien Geeroms) - Graffiti 1: Saar Gaat Artistiek

Biggest disappointment / Least favourite of the month:

Jet Manrho and Others - BoekieBoekie 100: De Ongelofelijke Avonturen van Jules Verne

Rüdiger Bertram and Heribert Schulmeyer - Coolman en Ik 1: Coolman en Ik (Coolman und Ich)

Shortest books read this month:

David Walliams (ill. Tony Ross) - The Bear Who Went Boo! (29 pages)

Deborah Kespert - Knappe Koppen! (Genius!) (96 pages)

Mike Goldsmith - Eureka! (Eureka!) (96 pages)

Jet Manrho and Others - BoekieBoekie 100: De Ongelofelijke Avonturen van Jules Verne (97 pages)

Longest books read this month:

Peter F. Hamilton - Great North Road (1087 pages)

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 1: The Eye of the World (re-read) (800 pages)

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time 0: New Spring (re-read) (423 pages)

I read Jodi Picoult - Vanishing Acts. I liked this book, but I had some issues with it. I didn't understand the motivation of some minor characters at all, in the prison sections, and I found these sections therefore hard to read because I didn't understand why things happened the way that they did or why the characters behaved the way they did. I realise it's probably a good reflection of what happens in some U.S. prisons, but I don't understand it and I wish some things had been explained a bit better (though, I don't think I'd want to 100% understand it). That was my major issue with this book. The Hopi stuff was nice in a way but I also found myself wanting to get on with the story. I did like reading the book overall though and I liked the story. I didn't see some of the twists coming, though I do feel the story and twists were weaker than in what are in my opinion the author's better novels (ie. My Sister's Keeper, The Pact, House Rules, Handle With Care, Sing You Home, Nineteen Minutes, Perfect Match, The Storyteller, Lone Wolf, Leaving Time, Plain Truth. Lol that's most of them.). I did like the ending of the book.