Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't really feel in the mood for a lot of books yesterday, and I ended up reading novellas by one of my favourite authors.

I read Brandon Sanderson - Legion (1) and The Emperor's Soul (a paperback edition containing both novellas) and Brandon Sanderson - Legion 2: Legion: Skin Deep.

I've read The Emperor's Soul before, on my Kindle. It was really nice to re-read this story, and I still really like it. I quite like the magic system and the female main character was a great protagonist. This story is a fantasy novella.

Legion 1 and Legion 2 were pretty good. The concept of the story takes a bit of time to wrap your head around; Stephen has a unique mental condition which allows him to generate multiple people in his head. They are his 'aspects' and to him they just look like normal people, but no one else can see or hear them. Stephen is a sort of detective and his aspects help him solve many things. I would call these novellas thrillers (but with a psychological twist). They both have a seperate 'case' going on (though Stephen does grow throughout the two stories). I quite liked reading these two novellas. The story was suspenseful. If I had to choose, I'd say Legion 2 was even better than Legion 1. In Legion 2 things are briefly explained so I suppose you could read it seperately, though it'd be easiest to start with Legion 1 (it's just called Legion btw, I'm adding the 1 to distinguish it from Skin Deep)

I really enjoyed reading some novellas by one of my favourite authors. I can (so far at least) always count on Sanderson not to let me down.

Now, I'm not sure what I feel like reading next, and not much appeals yet. We'll see.

My dad asked me to read Barry W. Fitzgerald - Secrets of Superhero Science. He knows the author, and he asked me to write a review about the book (which my dad will post on his blog). So, here's my (preliminary) review, I might edit the review later today as I get feedback from my dad about ie. the length of it.This book explores how it would be possible to have some superpowers as humans, using science. It looks at several superhero powers and postulates how we could use science, to achieve these superpowers. Examples are Wolverine's super healing, Sue Storm's invisibility and Iron Man's suit. The book consists of 11 chapters, and at the end of all but the first one, the author lists his sources, such as scientific articles and books (in case you want to read more about certain subjects).The book contains quite a bit of science, but it is explained in such terms that you don't necessarily need to have studied at university, to follow it. I did study at university, and a big part of the knowledge in the book I was taught at university and in high school; it was therefore not completely new to me. Other knowledge (mostly the newer research and the applications of it) was new to me. You don't need to have studied science at university level to understand this book, because the book explains the science to you, in what I think is a nice way.I quite like the writing style of the book and there is some humour in the book, I liked that a lot. I really like all the references to superheroes, superhero comics and superhero movies. I've seen quite a few of superhero movies and it was very nice to read about things I recognised. Even if you haven't seen a particular film though, the author explains what the superheroes' powers do and often mentions the story of the film. I also liked the illustrations the author uses to clarify scientific ideas and theories. I think you'll like this book if you like superheroes and are interested in science.

Very interesting subject and review, Gaia.

I'll look for it!

Very interesting subject and review, Gaia.

I'll look for it!

Thanks, Kate :)! I hope you enjoy it if you find it :).

EDIT: I may have just ordered some books :giggle2:.

Edited by Athena

Hurray !  :giggle2:

:D

Here's the list (photos will be posted once I've received the books, it will take just under 2 weeks if all is well):

Agatha Christie - The Double Clue (QuickReads)

Lucy Diamond - A Baby at the Beach Café (QuickReads)

Ann Cleeves - Too Good To Be True (QuickReads)

Rowan Coleman - The Anniversary (QuickReads)

Rowan Coleman - We Are All Made of Stars

Kristin Hannah - The Nightingale

Liane Moriarty - Little Big Lies

Nicola Yoon - Everything Everything

Terry Pratchett - A Slip of the Keyboard

Terry Pratchett - Dragons at Crumbling Castle And Other Stories

Jodi Picoult and Samantha van Leer - Between the Lines 2: Off the Page

Sarah J. Maas - Throne of Glass 4: Queen of Shadows

J. K. Rowling - Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

J. K. Rowling - Quidditch Through the Ages

J. K. Rowling - Tales of Beedle the Bard

Robert Galbraith - Cormoran Strike 2: The Silkworm

Robert Galbraith - Cormoran Strike 3: Career of Evil

I went to the library and loaned some books (most for the upcoming read-a-thon):

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 16: Het Oog van Smaragd (Il Mistero dell'Occhio di Smeraldo)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 28: Welkom op Kasteel Vrekkenstein (Benvenuti a Rocca Taccagna)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 43 & 44: Wie Heeft Schrokopje ontvoerd? & Dertien Spoken voor Duifje Duistermuis (Chi Ha Rapito Languorina? & Tredici Fantasmi per Tenebrosa)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 55: Het Monster van Lago Lago (Il Mostro di Lago Lago & Una Truffa Coi Baffi)

Geronimo Stilton - Superhelden 5: Het Gevaarlijke Snotmonster (Allarme, Puzzoni in Azione!)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 10: Diefstal op de Oriënt Express (Mistero sull'Orient Express)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 13: Een Pracht van een Smaragd (Lo Smeraldo del Principe Indiano)

Geronimo Stilton - Sandokan, de Piraat (Sandokan: Le Trigri di Mompracem)

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Odysseus (Le Avventure di Ulisse)

Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 7 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 7)

Geronimo Stilton - De Kronieken van Fantasia 3: Het Sprekende Woud (La Foresta Parlante)

Katie Davies (ill. Hannah Shaw) - Animal Antics 1: The Great Hamster Massacre

Katie Davies (ill. Hannah Shaw) - Animal Antics 4: The Great Dog Disaster

Harriet Whitehorn - Violet 1: Violet and the Pearl of the Orient

Steve Cole - Astrosauriërs 2: Oviraptors in de Aanval (Astrosaurs: The Hatching Horror)

Luc Descamps - De Poortwereld 1: De Storm

Kid Kat (ill. Eric Bouwens) - Kid Kat 1: Kid Kat en het Geheim van de Ratrace

Kid Kat (ill. Eric Bouwens) - Kid Kat 3: Gejank van de Bovenste Plank

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 0.5: Hoe Overleef Ik Met / Zonder Gescheiden Ouders?

Corine Naranji - Zij Is Dun En Ik Ben Dik

Danny Wallace (ill. Jamie Littler) - Hero en de PVT 1: Hero en de Wereldstoppers (Hamish and the PDF 1: Hamish and the World Stoppers)

Stuart Gibbs - Maanbasis Alfa1 : De Maan-Zaak (Moon Base Alpha 1: Space Case)

Susin Nielsen - Wij Zijn Allemaal Moleculen (We Are All Molecules)

Ernest Cline - Armada (Armada)

Karen McCombie - The Raspberry Rules

NewLibraryLoans_Spines_0.25.jpg

NewLibraryLoans_Covers2_0.25.jpg

NewLibraryLoans_Covers1_0.25.jpg

NewLibraryLoans_Covers3_0.25.jpg

NewLibraryLoans_Covers4_0.25.jpg

NewLibraryLoans_Covers5_0.25.jpg

NewLibraryLoans_Covers6_0.25.jpg

NewLibraryLoans_Covers7_0.25.jpg

I bought some books at the Terre des Hommes:

Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot 14: Moord In Mesopotamië (Murder in Mesopotamia)

Gregory Benford - Galactic Center 4: Tides Of Light

Dawn French - A Tiny Bit Marvellous

Caroline Grace-Cassidy - When Love Takes Over

NewBooksTdH_2016-06-25_Spines_0.125.jpg

NewBooksTdH_2016-06-25_Covers_0.25.jpg

I bought some books at De Roij & Boschman:

Tosca Menten - Het Akropolis Genootschap En De Slag Om Bladzijde 37

Harm de Jonge - Zestig Spiegels

Edward van de Vendel - Wat Rijmt Er Op Puree?

Harmen van Straaten - Super Jan: Je Bent Super ... Jan!

Frank Westerman - De Moord op de Boekverkoopster

NewBooksR&B_Spines_0.125.jpg

NewBooksR&B_Covers_0.25.jpg

Lots of nice new books :D.

EDIT:

I finished Michael Grant - Gone 5: Fear. I wasn't in the mood about a week ago, for this book, but a few days ago I decided to try reading the book and found myself really enjoying it. I really liked this book, it was really good. This book had lots of nice plot twists and characters. I look forward to read book 6 (the last book) next month and find out how it all ends.

EDIT:

I bought Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 6: Episode Six.

Edited by Athena

My dad asked me to read Barry W. Fitzgerald - Secrets of Superhero Science. He knows the author, and he asked me to write a review about the book (which my dad will post on his blog). So, here's my (preliminary) review, I might edit the review later today as I get feedback from my dad about ie. the length of it.This book explores how it would be possible to have some superpowers as humans, using science. It looks at several superhero powers and postulates how we could use science, to achieve these superpowers. Examples are Wolverine's super healing, Sue Storm's invisibility and Iron Man's suit. The book consists of 11 chapters, and at the end of all but the first one, the author lists his sources, such as scientific articles and books (in case you want to read more about certain subjects).The book contains quite a bit of science, but it is explained in such terms that you don't necessarily need to have studied at university, to follow it. I did study at university, and a big part of the knowledge in the book I was taught at university and in high school; it was therefore not completely new to me. Other knowledge (mostly the newer research and the applications of it) was new to me. You don't need to have studied science at university level to understand this book, because the book explains the science to you, in what I think is a nice way.I quite like the writing style of the book and there is some humour in the book, I liked that a lot. I really like all the references to superheroes, superhero comics and superhero movies. I've seen quite a few of superhero movies and it was very nice to read about things I recognised. Even if you haven't seen a particular film though, the author explains what the superheroes' powers do and often mentions the story of the film. I also liked the illustrations the author uses to clarify scientific ideas and theories. I think you'll like this book if you like superheroes and are interested in science.

I'm a bit late reacting to this, but it sounds very original and quite interesting. I think that actually my whole family would enjoy reading it.

I'm a bit late reacting to this, but it sounds very original and quite interesting. I think that actually my whole family would enjoy reading it.

That's nice to hear :). I hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it.

I read Ernest Cline - Armada (Armada). I loved Ready Player One (the first book the author wrote), it's one of my (many) favourite books. I'd heard mixed reviews about this new book, some people really liked it and some people really didn't. I didn't buy the book yet because I wasn't sure if I'd like it. I was surprised when I found the Dutch translation at the library. It must be pretty new too, this translation was only published just recently. Well done library on getting it so soon. Anyway, of course I immediately decided to loan the book when I saw it. And having read it, I have to say that it isn't as good as RPO. Not that I was expecting it to be. It was enjoyable though. The basic plot of the book is something I've seen before in other books. This made me feel this book wasn't as "original" in ideas as was RPO (to my mind). I liked all the references to media in earlier eras (films, tv shows, video games, songs). At first I didn't really like the main character but that got better later on in the book. I liked the plot twists of the story. I do wish the ending had been longer, I would've liked to know more. I enjoyed the story, it was fast paced and I read the book in two days (I wanted to keep on reading it). Overall then I have to say I enjoyed reading this book, but that it wasn't as good as RPO. I can understand some of the problems the people who didn't like the book so much, had. I still enjoyed reading the book though even if it isn't a new favourite book of mine. Some of the negative reviews mention spelling and grammar errors - now I don't know if there are any in the English first edition hardcover or even proof copy / ARC that these people read - but which fortunately aren't present in this translation (that I noticed at least, but I would've noticed if there were lots of errors - in my mother language). I enjoyed reading the book but it wasn't flawless (which RPO comes pretty close to, in my opinion).

Thanks, Kate :)! I hope you enjoy it if you find it :).

EDIT: I may have just ordered some books :giggle2:.

Seems that is going around....... :P  :giggle2:

I have Ready Player One in the stacks somewhere.....I was anxious to read it, but somehow it slipped away from me.  I must locate it. 

Seems that is going around....... :P  :giggle2:

Haha yes :giggle2:.

I have Ready Player One in the stacks somewhere.....I was anxious to read it, but somehow it slipped away from me.  I must locate it.

I hope you enjoy it when you read it :).

I read Susin Nielsen - Wij Zijn Allemaal Moleculen (We Are All Molecules). I hadn't heard much about this book, but when I saw the cover, the title and the synopsis (at the library), it sounded interesting enough to borrow it. The book is about two teenagers, a 13-year-old boy named Stewart who's very smart but awkward socially (he's a nerd), and a 14-year-old girl named Ashley who's kind of a very popular beauty queen. Stewart's father and Ashley's mother decide to move in together. Stewart's mother died some years ago, and Ashley's father found out he was gay. The two parents fell in love so now the two families are moving in together. But Stewart and Ashley come from very different social circles. The story is written from both his and her point of view (alternatingly). I liked the book. It had short chapters, which I liked, and it was usually pretty clear from which viewpoint I was reading (I only got confused once). At first I didn't like Ashley but that got better later on in the book. I liked Stewart from the beginning. But then, I identify more with a nerdy character than with a popular one. The book wasn't terribly fast paced the way some YA books are, and in some ways it felt a bit like a middle grade book (I don't know if that makes sense). But I enjoyed the book anyway, I read it in one afternoon. The font is huge and it doesn't have that many pages (271).

After finding out Giselle Green had written a sequel to Little Miracles, a book which I really liked, I went ahead and ordered it:

Giselle Green - Little Miracles 2: Finding You

I was unable to find the paperback listed for any Dutch shops, so I ended up having to order it from overseas (and even some of the English shops had it as 'sold out', I was only able to find it at one place.). Therefore it's costing me quite a bit of money, but I really want to read the book.

I want to read it as well. I keep looking at it in Amazon but just can't make up my mind. :doh:

I want to read it as well. I keep looking at it in Amazon but just can't make up my mind. :doh:

If you do read it, I hope you enjoy it :).

I read Danny Wallace (ill. Jamie Littler) - Hero en de PVT 1: Hero en de Wereldstoppers (Hamish and the PDF 1: Hamish and the World Stoppers). I wasn't sure if the book would be nice, so I went in with low expectations (I randomly picked it up at the library). I was pleasantly surprised though, the book was nice. It's an interesting concept and the book had some humour which was really nice.

After finding out Giselle Green had written a sequel to Little Miracles, a book which I really liked, I went ahead and ordered it:

Giselle Green - Little Miracles 2: Finding You

I was unable to find the paperback listed for any Dutch shops, so I ended up having to order it from overseas (and even some of the English shops had it as 'sold out', I was only able to find it at one place.). Therefore it's costing me quite a bit of money, but I really want to read the book.

Hope it arrives soon. :smile:  Grr that it`s expensive. :(

Hope it arrives soon. :smile:  Grr that it`s expensive. :(

Thanks, me too :). Yeah :(.

I read Stuart Gibbs - Maanbasis Alfa 1 : De Maan-Zaak (Moon Base Alpha 1: Space Case). I randomly picked up this book at the library, I hadn't heard anything about it but it sounded good (and it looked pretty) so I borrowed it. It's kind of a murder mystery but then on the moon. The story takes place in 2041. Dash lives on the moon base with his parents and sister. The moon base isn't very large and he doesn't really like it there (but he's not allowed to tell anyone, the people on Earth must believe it's fun on the moon, or the funding will be cut and no more space tourists with tons of cash will show up). Then one of the scientists is found dead. The death is presumed to be an accident but Dash believes the scientist was murdered. He then tries to found out who did it. I quite enjoyed reading this book. I particularly liked the ending, there was a twist near the end that I really didn't see coming. I liked reading about life on the moon base. The book is suspenseful and I enjoyed reading it.

June 2016 Summary

Books read: 38

Pages read: 8895

Books read in the read-a-thon: 20

Pages read in the read-a-thon: 3585

Books read outside of the read-a-thon: 18

Pages read outside of the read-a-thon: 5310

Most impressive / Favourites of the month:

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia IX: De Fenomenale Reis (Grande Ritorno nel Regno della Fantasia)

Beth Revis - Across the Universe 3: Shades of Earth

Jojo Moyes - Me Before You 1: Me Before You

Michael Grant - Gone 5: Fear

Francine Oomen (ill. Annet Schaap) - Hoe Overleef Ik... 9: Hoe Overleef Ik (Zonder) Liefde?

Morgan Matson - The Unexpected Everything

Stuart Gibbs - Maanbasis Alfa 1 : De Maan-Zaak (Moon Base Alpha 1: Space Case)

Biggest disappointment / Least favourite of the month:

Rainbow Rowell - Kindred Spirits

Other notes:

I realise it's the 30th of June now, so I'd better try not to read anything today or I'll have to edit this summary :P.

A quick summary of basic statistics:

I read 212 books in Jan-June 2016, which is less than in Jan-June 2015 (247) but more than Jan-June 2014 (108).

I read 52367 pages, which is less than in Jan-June 2015 (60018) and more than in Jan-June 2014 (30340)).

I bought a similar amount of books as in Jan-June 2014, and more than in Jan-June 2015.

For the July 2016 read-a-thon, I read:

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 47: Tine is het Beu! (The Babysitters Club 47: Mallory on Strike) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 48: De Grote Wens van Jessie (The Babysitters Club 48: Jessi's Wish (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 30: De Cock en een Dodelijke Dreiging (this one was pretty good, I didn't guess who the killer was)

Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Horrible Histories: The Slimy Stuarts (I'm liking these British Horrible Histories, but I do feel certain British slang things are lost on me. I'm enjoying them less than the Dutch ones I read as a child.)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 16: Het Oog van Smaragd (Il Mistero dell'Occhio di Smeraldo)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 28: Welkom op Kasteel Vrekkenstein (Benvenuti a Rocca Taccagna)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 43: Wie Heeft Schrokopje ontvoerd? (Chi Ha Rapito Languorina?)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 44: Dertien Spoken voor Duifje Duistermuis (Tredici Fantasmi per Tenebrosa)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 55: Het Monster van Lago Lago (Il Mostro di Lago Lago & Una Truffa Coi Baffi)

Geronimo Stilton - Superhelden 5: Het Gevaarlijke Snotmonster (Allarme, Puzzoni in Azione!)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 10: Diefstal op de Oriënt Express (Mistero sull'Orient Express)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 13: Een Pracht van een Smaragd (Lo Smeraldo del Principe Indiano)

Geronimo Stilton - Sandokan, de Piraat (Sandokan: Le Trigri di Mompracem)

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Odysseus (Le Avventure di Ulisse) (I really liked this book)

Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 7 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 7) (as usual, I loved reading all these Stilton books)

Katie Davies (ill. Hannah Shaw) - Animal Antics 1: The Great Hamster Massacre (I didn't like this book so much)

Harriet Whitehorn - Violet 1: Violet and the Pearl of the Orient (this was pretty nice)

Steve Cole - Astrosauriërs 2: Oviraptors in de Aanval (Astrosaurs: The Hatching Horror) (this was nice)

Kid Kat (ill. Eric Bouwens) - Kid Kat 1: Kid Kat en het Geheim van de Ratrace

Kid Kat (ill. Eric Bouwens) - Kid Kat 3: Gejank van de Bovenste Plank (I liked these two books)

I read Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 0.5: Hoe Overleef Ik Met / Zonder Gescheiden Ouders?. The first two books in the series, are different from the rest of them. The rest are much better, go more in depth, have many more different themes, story lines and characters (and are intended for slightly older audiences). This prequel, which has been retitled to be book 1 of the series, was really nice to read. I didn't know the author had written a prequel until I found it at the library, and since it has a '1' on the spine of the book, at first I thought it was just book 1 in a new cover, but then the title didn't sound familiar to me. I opened the book and read the "author's note" at the beginning, which explained she wrote this prequel that was now renamed to be book 1 of the series (but it's really book 0.5). Anyway, I really enjoyed reading this prequel. This book is about how Rosa has to deal with her parents who argue with each other all the time. There's also a side theme of bullying, friendship and being happy with oneself. Apparently the author is starting a new series, with the characters, book 1 has been published and the library has it. It's for older teenagers which is why I haven't come across it yet as I don't go to that section all that much. I'll have to see if I can find it some time.

I've been way behind on your thread, but I've just caught up. I hope you enjoy all of your new purchases. How many Geronimo Stilton books are there? I keep seeing that name pop up.

Also, I'm not sure if you've mentioned this before, but do you shelve all of your new purchases straight away (well, after cataloguing them)? Or are you like me, and leave them in piles around the place and then shelve them when the piles get too big/messy? :D

I've been way behind on your thread, but I've just caught up. I hope you enjoy all of your new purchases. How many Geronimo Stilton books are there? I keep seeing that name pop up.

Also, I'm not sure if you've mentioned this before, but do you shelve all of your new purchases straight away (well, after cataloguing them)? Or are you like me, and leave them in piles around the place and then shelve them when the piles get too big/messy? :D

Thanks Kylie :).

There are many Geronimo Stilton books out there. Geronimo Stilton is the main character in most of the books, and in the books he writes those books (if that makes sense?). The books are actually written by a team of people in Italy (as far as I know). There are other 70 books in the main series (generally called the Geronimo Stilton series), then there are many other series too. There are currently 10 books in the Fantasia series, 6 in the Kronieken van Fantasia, 4 in Ridders van Fantasia, 6 in the Groene Reeks (these are all the Dutch names for the series), there are quite a few literary retellings, etc. I think in total there are over 100 Stilton books (here is a list on the Dutch Wikipedia of the Dutch books currently published).

I never put the new books away until I've finished cataloguing and posted about them on the forum (when I finish reading a book, I don't put it away until after I've posted about it on the forum, seeing it on my desk helps me remind myself that I still need to post about it). After I've posted about the new books on the forum, I sort them into books I'm putting in my library and books I want to or will be able to read soon. Those I want to read soon go on the book shelves next to my desk (and on occasion I put a short read on my read-a-thon shelves, next to the TV). It's tempting to leave them around as piles as I love looking at the books, but I also love putting them on their shelves (and my boyfriend doesn't like it if I clutter too much, which I tend to do :P. I usually have a bag with library books sitting near my desk). And I can still look at the ones I plan to read soon, near my desk (I do that quite a bit, it cheers me up, looking at some of the books I plan to read). It's nice to know you leave them in piles around. I never thought about asking anyone what they do with their books once they've bought them.