Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

I was undecided about that Shannara book, so I`m glad for your review - I`ll put it in my ` maybe buy it in the future` list. ;)  

I did like the TV series more and more as it went on, so i`m pleased that there`ll be a second season. :) 

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was undecided about that Shannara book, so I`m glad for your review - I`ll put it in my ` maybe buy it in the future` list. ;)  

I did like the TV series more and more as it went on, so i`m pleased that there`ll be a second season. :)

I hope you enjoy it if / when you get to it :). I'm glad to hear the TV series is getting better and better! I think the TV series is based on the 2nd book (The Elfstones of Shannara), at least, that's what I heard.

Yeah! You finished! I'm so glad that's over lol

Lol. I did enjoy it, but it was a bit too slow for me at times. I will be reading the other books in the series at some point though.

I ordered two new books for myself:

Morgan Matson - Second Chance Summer

Josh Sundquist - We Should Hang Out Sometime

They should arrive in a few days.

I got my library reservation:

Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 9: De Vier Prairiejaren (Little House 9: The First Four Years)

NewLibraryLoanCover_0.25.jpg

NewLibraryLoanSpine_0.25.jpg

I plan to read it after I finish Jodi Picoult - Handle with Care

I also bought a couple of books at Terre des Hommes:

Tracey West - Pokémon Chapter Books 7: Splashdown In Cerulean City

Jennifer L. Johnson - Pokémon Chapter Books 20: Battle For The Zephyr Badge

Greg Bear - The Forge Of God 1: The Forge Of God (I already owned the Dutch version of this, but I couldn't resist the English version for this price)

Richard Bachman - The Regulators

Brandon Sanderson - The Rithmatist 1: The Rithmatist (I already owned this book, but I quite liked this cover)

NewBooksTdHSpines_0,25.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers1_0.125.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers2_0.25.jpg

The two books I recently ordered online, should be here in a couple of days.

Enjoy your new books !  :D

Thanks, Sarah :D!

Yeah for new books!

Thanks, Anna :D!

I read Jodi Picoult - Handle with Care. This is about two parents (Charlotte and Sean) who have one teenager daughter (Amelia), and one young daughter (Willow) who has brittle bone disease. I found it really interesting to read about their lives and how they all deal with this disease. It means Willow breaks bones really quickly (she broke 7 bones inside the womb). The medical bills are all very expensive and the family has trouble paying for it. A lawyer tells the parents they might have a case to sue for wrongful birth. Basically it means the doctor should have diagnosed the disease earlier in the pregnancy, so the parents could have chosen to terminate the pregnancy. What complicates matters, is that the doctor (ob-gyn?) is also the mother's best friend. I liked the character of Willow in particular, though I also liked the other characters. The story is told from multiple points of view, who all address Willow as 'you' (so the 'you' in the text is Willow; for example, Charlotte says 'you were born on...'). You get to see both sides of the court case through these multiple perspectives. I really liked this book, I thought it was very interesting and also emotional. There are plenty of nice plot twists. There was one thing I liked a bit less, which happens in the last few pages of the book (but then, I do see why the author wrote the story that way). I wondered a couple of things regarding the family's money issues, but they are minor (basically, on several occasions one or more family members don't want their dinner anymore, and it all goes in the trash during these several occasions. I'm low on money myself, I would save the food to be eaten another day). But overall I quite liked this book and it has impressed me, it's now the day after I finished it and I'm still thinking about it. I really like most of the books I've read by Jodi Picoult, and this one was pretty good.

I also read Laura Ingalls Wilder - Het Kleine Huis 9: De Vier Prairiejaren (Little House 9: The First Four Years). It was nice to read this 9th book, only the 8th one is left now (but I forgot to ask about it at the library). I didn't like book 9 as much as the ones that came before it (minus 8 because I haven't read that one), but I liked it better than book 10. It was nice to read about Laura's life. Overall so far I'd have to say book 6, The Long Winter, stands out to me as a particular favourite.

There's a free for kindle atm which I think you might like - it's my life as laura, by Kelly Kathleen Ferguson - I've downloaded it to give it a go - it's a memoir by a laura. Ingalls fan. Can't do a link, sorry, I'm using my kindle fire to post.

The Long Winter is a good one.

It really was!

There's a free for kindle atm which I think you might like - it's my life as laura, by Kelly Kathleen Ferguson - I've downloaded it to give it a go - it's a memoir by a laura. Ingalls fan. Can't do a link, sorry, I'm using my kindle fire to post.

Oooh thanks for that, downloaded :)

Did the new books come today? :D

They did :D.

Morgan Matson - Second Chance Summer

Josh Sundquist - We Should Hang Out Sometime

NewBooksBCCovers_0.25ish.jpg

NewBooksBCSpines_0.25.jpg

I was at the Little Library in the neighbourhood, and I got this book:

Esther Verhoef - Close-up

NewBookMBCover_0.25.jpg

NewBookMBSpine_0.125.jpg

I also downloaded a free e-book (see above):

Kelly Kathleen Ferguson - My Life As Laura

Oooh I'd heard about the Josh Sundquist one ages back and then forgotten about it - must put it on my wishlist. Sounds entertaining, doesn't it? Hope you enjoy all your new books :)

It does sound good! I've been watching his videos on YouTube for a while, now I finally bought his book (he did publish one other book, too). I've heard many good things about this book, and I read the sample / Kimple and was intrigued. I hope you enjoy it if / when you get it :).

I read John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice: The Early Years 1: The Tournament at Gorlan. I love the Ranger's Apprentice series and the Brotherband series, and it's then no surprise that I enjoyed reading this prequel. I loved reading about Halt and Crowley and other characters. I really enjoyed reading this book.

EDIT: I was just upstairs in the attic to put a book away in my parents' book case, when I looked at their books and found one of my old (missing) books! I've been looking for this one for many years, and I'm happy to have found it! It's a Dutch children's book, and was always one of my (many) favourites. It's Een bende in de bovenbouw by Jacques Vriens. What a lucky find :).

Edited by Athena

I like the cover of We Should Hang Out Sometime! And I'm so glad you found that book! What's it about?

Me too, the cover is quite nice.

The book I found, Een bende in de bovenbouw, is about a class of children in primary school. Their teacher is moving, so they get a new one. Their new teacher doesn't seem so bad, but the new kid is a bully. I don't remember lots of detail from this book, since it's been over 15 years since I read it, but that's what the back of the book says. I'm sure when I read it, things will come back to me, though. The nice thing is, Jacques Vriens (the author) has been a primary school teacher himself for many years, so he is very good at writing books like this. A lot of his books involve children and primary school.

After I finished The Tournament at Gorlan yesterday afternoon (see my previous post), I started to read Josh Sundquist - We Should Hang Out Sometime. The book reads pretty quickly, which means I have finished it already! The book is about Josh and his investigation into why he could never get a girlfriend. Josh had cancer as a child and his leg had to be amputated. He's a motivational speaker and he makes nice YouTube videos. I quite liked reading this book, it was interesting, nicely written, I liked the little illustrations Josh made (ie. graphs) and the book had a bit of humour. My paperback edition came with some extra content ('Eleven Months Later'), which I think was really nice and it does certainly add something to the book, so I was grateful for this. The book is structured in a nice way. The sample of the book lets you read quite a few pages already, which is nice. The book is set up per girl, then within that section there is 'background' which tells the story of how Josh met the girl and what happened and such, then there is the 'hypothesis' where Josh postulates why he thinks it went wrong, and lastly there is the 'investigation', where Josh meets up with the girl many years later and tries to find out why things went wrong. I quite enjoyed reading this book. It was nice to learn more about Josh's life.

Oh. My. Gosh. Done already?? ;)

I like that the author is a teacher too!

Yep, I finished it pretty quickly. It was an easy to read book, and I felt too tired to do a lot of other things (that I would have done otherwise).

I read Morgan Matson - Since You've Been Gone. This is a YA contemporary fiction novel, and again I felt too tired to do other things so I read for a while yesterday (not all in one go, with lots of stopping and starting. I can't concentrate for longer periods of time). I enjoyed this book. There were a couple of things I liked less, certain minor things in the story, but otherwise I found it a very enjoyable read. It's a summer read, and I found it quite nice to read it while it was sunny yesterday, in spring.

Glad you enjoyed the Sunquist book, can't believe you're done already!!

Thanks :)! Yeah, I didn't expect to fly through it so quickly. I would've played a video game, but I was too tired to do so, so I read instead. I hope you enjoy it if you decide to read it :).

Ha! Now you know what I'm up against :D

Haha :P.

Love you anyway :D

You too :D.

I read Morgan Matson - Second Chance Summer. I quite enjoyed reading this book. It gave me the 'summer feelings'. Between Since You've Been Gone and Second Chance Summer, I'd have to say I prefer Second Chance Summer. But both reads were enjoyable. I also quite liked Amy & Roger's Epic Detour (the author's first book). She also has a fourth book out, called The Unexpected Everything but it's not out in paperback yet so I don't own it and haven't read it yet (but I want to!). It's interesting that, as far as I know, all four books take place, or have something to do with this specific village, called Stanwich. In Second Chance Summer there was a tiny cameo from a character of Amy & Roger's Epic Detour, otherwise the books are very much standalone (I haven't read the 4th one but I expect it to be standalone too). In Second Chance Summer Taylor's family decides to spend their summer at their summer lake house (they normally live in Stanwich), after receiving some terrible news. Taylor hasn't been back there since five years earlier, and when she gets there, it turns out she can't just leave her past behind. Her best friend is still mad at her after five years, and her first boyfriend is now living next door to Taylor and her family. (these aren't spoilers, this is on the back of the book).

I have to say all three books have a summery feel to it, but also a different feel. Amy & Roger's Epic Detour involved a road trip, Since You've Been Gone involved Sloane's list of things Emily has to do over the summer, and Second Chance Summer involved going to the lake house. The books aren't just romance reads, they are also about friendship, coming of age / finding yourself, and more. I felt Second Chance Summer was a bit 'heavier' in topic than the other two books, because of the 'life-changing news' (you find out about it relatively early in the book, but it's not on the back of the book what it is so I don't want to spoil it).