Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

I hope you do! There is a short story of his available for free on Amazon, if you have a Kindle or app. It's called The Hanging Stranger.

I just posted about it in your thread, unfortunately it isn't free for me in the Netherlands :(. But thanks, though :).

I don't think it's free here either, sadly! I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist still though  :smile:

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think it's free here either, sadly! I'm definitely adding it to my wishlist still though  :smile:

I hope you enjoy it if you read it :).

PMing you about the free story. Quoting on this Fire is a nightmare.

Sure :).

I bought some books yesterday at the library, charity shop and book shop, I will post a list and photos once I've catalogued them. I know, I'm terrible :hide:, but I couldn't say no to these interesting books at these prices :D (besides, the chance of me finding these books again at these prices, isn't very high).

I bought some new books. First I went to the library to hand in my library loans. I thought, I've got a bit of time, so why not check if they have anything nice for sale? And what do you know, there were a few nice books for sale :D.

Library:

Blake E. S. Taylor - Ik En Mijn ADHD: Wat Ik Leerde Van Fikkie Stoken Aan Tafel (ADHD and Me: What I Learned From Lightening Fires at the Dinner Table)

Francine Oomen - Hoe Overleef Ik... 2: Hoe Overleef Ik Het Jaar 2000?

Loes Hazelaar - Overdosis 5: Een Overdosis Xtreem

Mariëtte Middelbeek - Lovalicious

Mariëtte Middelbeek - Hex!

Mariëtte Middelbeek - Dior & Dennenbomen

Jil Karoly - Dreamgirl! (Bin Ich Cool?)

Jane Green - Aan de Andere Kant (Life Swap)

Cornelia Funke - Reckless 1: Achter De Spiegel(Reckless 1: Steinernes Fleisch)

Thea Beckman - Hasse Simonsdochter

Jules Watson - Dalriada Trilogie 1: De Witte Merrie (Dalriada Trilogy 1: The White Mare)

Jules Watson - Dalriada Trilogie 2: Hert Van De Dageraad (Dalriada Trilogy 2: The Dawn Stag)

Jules Watson - Dalriada Trilogie 3: De Stenen Beer (Dalriada Trilogy 3: The Boar Stone)

NewBooksLibrarySpines.jpg

NewBooksLibraryCovers1.jpg

NewBooksLibraryCovers2.jpg

NewBooksLibraryCovers3.jpg

Then I went past the Terre des Hommes. I picked up a few books and two DVDs, then the woman who knows me well, comes up to me and tells me they've got two boxes of Dutch science-fiction books at the back, and would I be interested? Well yes :D. There were a few fantasy and other genres in there too, and couple of English ones; most seemed to be from the same person as many have that person's name written in them. In the end the nice lady did me a pretty good deal too. She didn't really want to count all the books so she estimated, which was a bit of a lower estimation of amount of books than it turned out to be. (warning: some long titles coming up, because a few of the books are short story collections and I wanted to list all the stories)

Jan Terlouw - Eigen Rechter

Jacques Vriens - Een Stelletje Mooie Vrienden

Jacques Vriens - Vaders, Moeders? Hardgekookte Eieren!

John Irving - De Wereld Volgens Garp (The World According To Garp)

Adele Parks - Still Thinking Of You

Agatha Christie - Hercule Poirot 21: Schuldig In Eigen Ogen (Sad Cypress)

Jack Dann, Gardner Dozois, Fritz Leiber, Stephen King, Pamela Sargent, Ursula K. Le Guin, Ron Goulart, Henry Slesar, Terry Carr, Carol Carr, Gary Jennings, Gene Wolfe, Manly Wade Wellman - KatSF (Tijdruimte voor Springers, Space-time for Springers; De Duivelskat, The Cat From Hell; Misplaatst, Out of Place; Schrödingers Kat, Schrödinger's Cat; Groucho, Groucho; Mijn Vader, de Kat, My Father, The Cat; Sommigen Worden Als Kat Geboren, Some Are Born Cats; Tom de Kater, Tom Cat; Sonya, Crane Wessleman en Katjaa, Sonya, Crane Wessleman, and Kittee; De Heksekat, The Witch's Cat)

Isaac Asimov, Jan Burke, Dick Francis, Sue Grafton, Mary Higgins Clark, P. D. James, Tanith Lee, Sara Paretsky, Jack Vance - Spannend Gebundeld 1993 (Stamvader, Founding Father; Sub Rosa, The Love Seat; De Plundering van Kingdom Hill, The Rape of Kingdom Hill; Het Parker Jachtgeweer, The Parker's Shotgun; Stemmen in het Kolenhok, Voices in the Coalbin; Het Schoonheidsmiddeltje van Tante Allie, Great Aunt Allie's Flypapers; De Witte Vrouw, The Demoness; De Dame in het Rood, Dealer's Choice; De Wereldbedenker, The World-Thinker)

René Appel, Clive Barker, Thomas M. Disch, Jef Geeraerts, Frank Herbert, Bob Mendes, Chris Rippen, Jack Vance - Spannend Gebundeld 1994 (Wadden; Hermione en de Maan, Hermione and the Moon; Maar één Nacht... of: Sheherazades Absolute Minimum, One Night, or, Scherazade's Bare Minimum; Target 10; De Ontbrekende Schakel, Missing Link; Een Kwestie van Geld; Zuidelijke Streken; De Pottenbakkers van Firsk, The Potters of Firsk)

Jan Burke, Roald Dahl, Rinus Ferdinandusse, Jef Geeraerts, Patricia Highsmith, Wendy Hornsby, Faye Kellerman, Andrew Klavan, Bob Mendes, Sara Paretsky, Jacob Vis - Spannend Gebundeld 1996 (Ongedeerd, Unharmed; Op Weg Naar De Hemel, The Way Up To Heaven; Een Graf Te Ver; Drie Vijf Zeven; Ieder Zijn Deel, Sauce for the Goose; Hoge Hakken in de Bekleding, High Heels in the Headliner; De Pitbull, Malibu Dog; Haar Gezicht, The Look On Her Face; Grote Verzoendag; Afrekening, Settled Score; Bommelding)

Isaac Asimov, Frank Herbert, Terry Carr, Roger Zelazny, Jack Vance, Greg Bear - SFantastisch Weer (De Sprekende Steen, The Talking Stone; Groenslaven, Greenslaves; De Dans van de Veranderaar en de Drie, The Dance of the Changer and the Three; Voor een Ademtocht Talm Ik, For a Breath I Tarry; Kom Naar Miss Heelal, Meet Mrs. Universe; Verhaal van de Slaapkant, Sleepside Story)

David Brin, Greg Bear, Jack Vance, David Zindell - ZomerSFTijd (De Geefziekte, The Giving Plague; Kampstrijd, Hardfought; De Vandalen van de Ruimte, Vandals of the Void; Shanidar, Shanidar)

Terry Carr, Poul Anderson, Mildred Downey Broxon, Ted Reynolds, John Varley, Kim Stanley Robinson, Michael Swanwick, Pat Cadigan, R. A. Lafferty, Roger Zelazny, Gene Wolf, Spider Robinson, Jack Dan, George Florance-Guthridge - De Beste SF Van Het Jaar II (The Best SF of the Year 11) (Saturnusspel, The Saturn Game; Over het Ijs, Walk the Ice; Proefmonster, Trial Sample; De Jacht, The Pusher; Verdronken Venetië, Venice Drowned; Walden Drie, Walden Three; Wederopstanding - Billijk Tarief, Second Comings - Reasonable Rates; Je Kunt Niet Meer Terug, You Can't Go Back; Walpurgisnacht, Walpurgisnacht; De Vrouw Die Bemind Werd Door De Eenhoorn,The Woman the Unicorn Loved; De Tanden Van Het Venijn, Serpent's Teeth; De Ondergang, Going Under; De Stilte, The Quiet)

Theodore Sturgeon, Robert Sheckley, J. A. Lawrence, Joanna Russ, Harlan Ellison, John Brunner, Milton A. Rothman, Frederik Pohl, C. M. Kornbluth, Joe Haldeman, James Blish, Michael G. Coney, W. Macfarlane, Stephen Tall - Sterren Van Galaxy (The Best Of Galaxy) (Noodzakelijk en Effectief, Necessary and Sufficient; Eindstad, End City; Openingsgambiet, Opening Problem; Over en Weer, Passages; De Muntjes Op De Ogen Van Een Dode, Pennies Off A Deadman's Eyes'; Uit Het Oog, Uit De Geest, Out Of Mindshot; Groepstherapie, Getting Together; Het Geschenk Van Garigolli, The Gift Of Garagolli; Tussenfase, Out Of Phase; Overtocht Door Het Duister, Darkside Crossing; De Haaien Van Pentreath, The Sharks Of Pentreath; De Mohmu, The No-Win Spotted Tiger Planet; Allison, Carmichael en Tattersall, Allison, Carmichael And Tattersall)

Theodore Sturgeon, Gene Wolfe, Jeffrey Perrin, Arsen Darnay, Sydney J. van Scyoc, R. A. Lafferty, James White, Harlan Ellison, Doris Piserchia, Ursula K. Le Guin, Wallace MacFarlane - Sterren van Galaxy 3 (Agnes, Accent En Acceptatie, Agnes, Accent And Acces; La Befana, La Befana; Allen Een Kwestie Van Tijd, Just A Matter Of Time; De Prachtige Vrijheid, The Splendid Freedom; Lieve Zuster, Groene Broeder; Sweet Sister, Green Brother; Langs De Zeekust, By The Seashore; Maar Een Antwoord Bleef Uit, Answer Came There None; Koude Vriendin, Cold Friend; Quarantaine, Quarantaine; Visioen, Field Of Vision; Versnelling, Quickening)

Josh Pachter, Isaac Asimov, Barrington J. Bayley, Ray Bradbury, Damien Broderick, John Brunner, Jack Dann, Carol Emswhiller, Horace L. Gold, Harry Harrison, R. A. Lafferty, Fritz Leiber, Barry N. Malzberg, Anne McCaffrey, Larry Niven, Andre Norton, Bill Pronzini, Robert Silverberg, Michael Swanwick, James White - Top SF 1 (De Laatste Vraag, The Last Question; De Verkenning Van De Ruimte, The Exploration Of Space; Er Zullen Zachte Regens Vallen, There Will Come Soft Rains; Reis Naar De Aarde, Passage In Earth; De Allerrijksten, The Totally Rich; Ten Onder Gaan, Going Under; Het Begin Van Het Einde..., The Start Of The End Of The World; Deadline, The Dead Line; De Man Met 'English', The Man With English; Reddingsoperatie, Rescue Operation; Wordt Vervolgd Op De Volgende Steen, Continued On Next Rock; Endfray Van De Ofay, Endfay Of The Ofay; Het Melkwegstelsel Rome, A Galaxy Called Rome; Het Schip Dat Zong, The Ship Who Sang; De Groene Plaag, The Green Plague; Alle Katjes Zijn Grauw, All Cats Are Grey; De Jongen Die 'Marsmannetjes' Riep, The Boy Who Cried 'Alien'; En Toen Gingen We Naar Venus, And Then We Went To Venus; Spelletjes van de Steenbok, Capricorn Games; Walden Drie, Walden Three; Contracharme, Countercharm)

Robert Silverberg, Ursula K. Le Guin, Joe Haldeman, Orson Scott Card, David Brin, Dan Simmons, Nancy Kress, Frederik Pohl, Gregory Benford, Anne McCaffrey, Greg Bear - Verre Horizons (Far Horizons) (De Oecumene: Oude Muziek En De Slavinnen, Old Music And The Slave Women; De Eeuwige Oorlog: Een Andere Oorlog, A Seperate War; De Ender-serie: De Beleggingsadviseur, Investment Counselor; Het Uplift-universum: De Verleiding, Tempation; Roma Eterna: Het Logboek Van De Draak, Getting To Know The Dragon; De Hyperion Canto's: Weeskinderen Van De Helix, Orphans Of The Helix; De Slapelozen: Slapende Honden, Sleeping Dogs; Verhalen van de Heechees: De Jongen Die Eeuwig Zou Leven, The Boy Who Would Live Forever; De Mech-Oorlogen: Honger Naar De Oneindigheid, A Hunger For The Infinite; Het Schip Dat Zong: Het Schip Dat Terugkeerde, The Ship That Returned; De Weg: De Weg Van Alle Geesten, The Way Of All Ghosts)

Jonathan Strahan, Charles N. Brown, Gene Wolfe, Ursula K. Le Guin, Harlan Ellison, John Varley, George R.R. Martin, Joanna Russ, Octavia E. Butler, James Tiptree Jr., Pat Murphy, Lucius Shepard, Terry Bisson, John Kessel, Connie Willis, John Crowley, Bruce Sterling, Greg Egan, Ted Chiang, Neil Gaiman - De Locus Awards - (De Dood Van Dokter Eiland, The Death Of Doctor Island; De Dag Voor De Revolutie, The Day Before The Revolution; Jeffty Is Vijf, Jeffty Is Five; De Vasthoudendheid Van Het Zicht, The Persistance Of Vision; De Weg Van Het Kruis En De Draak, The Way Of Cross And Dragon; Zielen, Souls; Bloedkind, Bloodchild; Het Enige Coole Wat Je Kunt Doen, The Only Neat Thing To Do; Rachel Verliefd, Rachel In Love; De Mooie Dochter Van De Schubbenjager, The Scalehunter's Beautiful Daughter; De Beren Ontdekken Het Vuur, Bears Discover Fire; Buffalo, Buffalo; Zelfs De Koningin, Even The Queen; Weg, Gone; Maneki Neko, Maneki Neko; Grenswachten, Border Guards; De Hel Is De Afwezigheid Van God, Hell Is The Absence Of God; Oktober In De Stoel, October In The Chair)

Robert A. Heinlein - Rocket Ship Galileo

Robert A. Heinlein - Democraten 2100 (De Geschiedenis Van De Toekomst: Als Dit Zo Doorgaat, Barbarije, Buitenbeentje) (Revolt in 2100) (If This Goes On, Coventry, Misfit)

Isaac Asimov - Science Fiction Verhalen 3 (Voor Een Goede Zaak; Wanneer De Nacht Valt; Robot Vermist; Een Plaats Met Veel Water; Wonen In De Ruimte; Het Dode Verleden; De Grappenmaker; Er Is Niemand Hier, Behalve...)

Isaac Asimov - Galactic Empire 2: Spionage in de Ruimte (The Currents Of Space) (De Vondeling; Het Dorpshoofd; De Bibliothecaresse; De Rebel; De Geleerde; De Ambassadeur; De Ordebewaker; De Dame; De Squire; De Vluchteling; De Kapitein; De Detective; De Jachtvaarder; De Overloper; De Gevangene; De Beklaagde; De Aanklager; De Overwinnaars; Een Jaar Later)

Isaac Asimov - Vroege Werken 3: De Rode Koningin (1941-1948) (The Early Asimov or, Eleven Years of Trying) (Tijdpoesje; Schrijver! Schrijver!; Doodvonnis; Doodlopende Straat; Geen Verband; De Endochronische Eigenschappen van Geresublimeerd Thiotimoline; De Rode Koningin; Moeder Aarde)

Isaac Asimov, Roger MacBride Allen - Isaac Asimov's Caliban 3: Utopia (Dutch)

Ray Bradbury - Lang Na Middernacht (Long After Midnight) (De Blauwe Fles, The Blue Bottle; Die Vervlogen Lente, One Timeless Spring; De Papergaai Die Papa Nog Heeft Gekend, The Parrot Who Met Papa; De Lifter, The Burning Man; Een Eind Hout, A Piece of Wood; De Messias, The Messiah; G.B.S. - Mark V, G.B.S. - Mark V; De Volmaakte Moord, The Utterly Perfect Murder; Straf Zonder Misdaad, Punishment Without Crime; De Zondag Doorkomen, Getting Through Sunday Somehow; In Een Keer Innemen, Drink Entire: Against The Madness Of Crowds; Incident In De Zon, Interval In Sunlight; Het Verhaal Van Een Liefde, A Story Of Love; De Wens, The Wish; Tussen Aarde En De Eeuwigheid, Forever & The Earth; Het Geschenk Van De Vriendschap, The Better Part Of Wisdom; Die Goeie Ouwe Adolf, Darling Adolf; Jamie De Wonderdoener, The Miracles of Jamie; Spelletje, The October Game; De Pompernikkel, The Pumpernickel; Lang Na Middernacht, Long After Midnight; De Gezegende Reep, Have I Got A Chocolate Bar For You!)

Arthur C. Clarke - Aardlicht (Earthlight)

Ursula K. Le Guin - Hainish Cycle: De Vertelling (The Telling)

Frank Herbert and Bill Ransom - The Pandora Sequence 2: Verrijzenis (The Lazarus Effect)

John Varley - De Gaiaanse Trilogie 1: Titaan (Gaea Trilogy 1: Titan)

Tanith Lee - De Opera Van Het Bloed 1: De Dans Van De Scarabae (Blood Opera 1: Dark Dance)

Tanith Lee - De Opera Van Het Bloed 2: Het Bloed Van De Scarabae (Blood Opera 2: Personal Darkness)

Tanith Lee - De Opera Van Het Bloed 3: Ik, Duisternis (Blood Opera 3: Darkness, I)

Tanith Lee - Ara (A Heroine Of The World)

William Gibson - Bridge 3: Het Stalker Syndroom (All Tomorrow's Parties)

Julian May - Het Veelkleurig Land 1: Het Veelkleurig Land (Saga Of The Pliocene Exile 1: The Many-Colored Land)

Keith Laumer - Duizend Jaar Schemering (The Long Twilight)

Keith Laumer - Het Verloren Geheugen ( / Het Ingeblikte Geheugen) (A Trace Of Memory)

Keith Laumer - In Strijd Met De Chaos: Ruimteodyssee; Dinosaurusstrand; De Komst Van De Chaos; Invasie Uit De Dimensies (Galactic Odyssey; Dinosaur Beach; Imperium 3: Assignment In Nowhere; Imperium 2: The Other Side Of Time)

L. E. Modesitt, Jr. - De Kronieken van Recluce 1: De Magie van Recluce (The Saga of Recluce 1: The Magic of Recluce)

L. E. Modesitt, Jr. - De Kronieken van Recluce 2: De Torens van Zonsondergang (The Saga of Recluce 2: The Towers of the Sunset)

Markus Heitz - Kinderen van Judas 3: Judasdochter (Kinder des Judas 3: Judastöchter)

Thomas M. Disch - Supernatural Minnesota 2: De Duivelsstaf (The M.D.)

Larry Niven - Jerry Pournelle - Moties 2: De Hand Die Neemt (The Gripping Hand)

Neal Stephenson - De Alchemist (The Diamond Age)

D. B. Shan - De Stad 2: Helse Horizon (The City Trilogy 2: Hell's Horizon)

Susan Price - Sterkarm 1: Sterkarm! (The Sterkarm Handshake)

Michiel Nijk - De Heersers Van Kant

Paul J. McAuley - Four Hundred Billion Stars 3: Eeuwig Licht (Eternal Light)

Peter Schaap - Zonen van Chaos

Walter Jon Williams - Metropolitan 1: Heer Van De Nieuwe Stad (Metropolitan)

China Miéville - New Crobuzon 2: Armada (The Scar)

Jane Routley - The Chronicles of Dion Trilogy 1: In Strijd Met De Demon (Mage Heart)

Sheri S. Tepper - Shadow's End

NewBooksTdHSpines.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers1.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers2.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers3.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers4.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers5.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers6.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers7.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers8.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers9.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers10.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers11.jpg

NewBooksTdHCovers12.jpg

Then we walked past a book shop, called De Roij & Boschman, which is quite a nice shop. They had a basket outside with sale books. I haven't seen them sell books this cheap so far. I think it was old stock or something, as it seemed to be mainly a bit older books (most I hadn't heard of).

Meg Cabot - The Princess Diaries 1: Dagboek Van Een Prinses (The Princess Diaries)

NewBookRBCover_0.25.jpg

NewBookRBSpineCover_0.25.jpg

(I'm going to try my best to not buy many books in the near future :hide: we will see how it goes :blush2:.)

That's an impressive amount of books! But also you are an impressively fast reader, imo.  :smile:  Sounds like the woman at the bookshop gave you a good deal. The benefits of knowing people at places you frequent are quite nice  :lol:

Wow! That's a lot is Asimov! Have you read anything by him before? I hope you like the Barker and the Bradbury! Beautiful books, I like the way you do rainbow colors :) Good luck with finding more shelf space :D

That's an impressive amount of books! But also you are an impressively fast reader, imo.  :smile:  Sounds like the woman at the bookshop gave you a good deal. The benefits of knowing people at places you frequent are quite nice  :lol:

Wow! That's a lot is Asimov! Have you read anything by him before? I hope you like the Barker and the Bradbury! Beautiful books, I like the way you do rainbow colors :) Good luck with finding more shelf space :D

I haven't read any novels by him, but I did read bits of his Robot stories. Thanks :)! I did find more shelf space :D. Here are the new photos :).

Best book haul ever !  :D  However did you get them all home ??  ;)

Thanks :D. Haha, well after Michael and I went to the library, he carried the books to my parents' car. Then we went to Terre des Hommes, and after that we brought the books to the car again. They are very nice there, the woman offered I could leave the books there until I could pick them up, but I told her it was okay because we came by car. I don't drive so much myself, but my parents were shopping too so my dad drove to the city and back again with all of us.

I see where you picked up a couple of the L. E. Modesitt, Jr. books. I have read a "ton" of his works including most if not all of the Recluce books, all of the Spellsong series, and most of the Imager series.

Good reading to you.

Edited by muggle not

I see where you picked up a couple of the L. E. Modesitt, Jr. books. I have read a "ton" of his works including most if not all of the Recluce books, all of the Spellsong series, and most of the Imager series.

Good reading to you.

That's great to hear, I'm glad you liked them :). Thanks :)!

Thanks :D. Haha, well after Michael and I went to the library, he carried the books to my parents' car. Then we went to Terre des Hommes, and after that we brought the books to the car again. They are very nice there, the woman offered I could leave the books there until I could pick them up, but I told her it was okay because we came by car. I don't drive so much myself, but my parents were shopping too so my dad drove to the city and back again with all of us.

I`m imagining all the books coming out of the car like when a multitude of clowns come out of a tiny clown car.  :D

What a great book haul! I wish my local library was as good as yours! On the rare occasions mine has books for sale there's probably about 30 books and they're mostly unpopular ones with bad reviews! 

I really want to read something by China Mieville, I've heard good things about him so I'll be interested to see what you think!   :smile:

What a great book haul! I wish my local library was as good as yours! On the rare occasions mine has books for sale there's probably about 30 books and they're mostly unpopular ones with bad reviews! 

I really want to read something by China Mieville, I've heard good things about him so I'll be interested to see what you think!   :smile:

Thanks :)! It's a shame your library doesn't have so many great books for sale.

I've heard good things too, so I hope the book will be enjoyable :).

I read Dorothy Koomson - That Girl From Nowhere 1: That Girl From Nowhere and Dorothy Koomson - That Girl From Nowhere 0: From There To Here (the latter being a short prequel story to the former). I didn't find out there was a prequel story, free to read on the author's website, until I was over halfway through That Girl From Nowhere. Yesterday I put the book down and read the free short story. Afterwards I continued with the novel. The prequel story was nice, and gives a little bit of extra information to the story, a few extra 'scenes' but isn't necessary to read. It was an enjoyable enough read though. The novel itself, I really enjoyed. It was really good. I read a novel by this author quite a few years ago, called My Best Friend's Girl which I really enjoyed (it was a chance find, I didn't know anything about the author but randomly picked the book up during a holiday in the UK). It's taken me many years to finally read another novel by Dorothy Koomson, and I wasn't disappointed. I really enjoyed reading this book, there was only one small part of the book I didn't really understand, a certain thing in the plot, but I won't spoil it. The large majority of the plot and the book though, was really enjoyable for me :). It contains some interesting themes such as family, adoption, race, love, jewellry making (and one other tough subject but that's sort of a spoiler).

I read Peter F. Hamilton - Fallen Dragon. My reading has been a bit shaky, but gladly with this book it got a bit better. I was able to read something every day and read this 808-page book in 8 days. I quite liked this book. While it doesn't hit the brilliance that is the Night's Dawn trilogy, it is still quite good. I enjoyed it much more than Misspent Youth (a book which, admittedly, I should probably have read after reading the Commonwealth Saga). The book isn't as epic as the multi-part series by Peter F. Hamilton, such as his two trilogies and duology (Night's Dawn trilogy, Commonwealth Saga duology, Void trilogy). I haven't read his newest book The Abyss Beyond Dreams yet (because I'm waiting for book 2 to be released). But this standalone book is epic in its own way, in the sense that it follows only couple of characters, but their actions have a lot of influence in the events. The chapters, for most of the book, alternate between a chapter in the 'now' and a chapter in Lawrence's past (both types of chapters are written in past tense). Only the last few chapters in the book don't follow this route, and instead all take place in the 'now'. Gradually you get to find out more about Lawrence's past. The story in the 'now' is very interesting too. The book has quite a few action parts, and I really liked how the technology was described. I think it's very creative how the author manages to have his different series and books have different kinds of technology that sometimes have a similar function. If I'm allowed to have any complaints, it is one thing described in the synopsis on the back of the book, doesn't happen until quite far into the book. This seemed a little bit misleading and spoilery to me, though I can't really think of any better way it could've been done. But it didn't make a huge difference in my reading enjoyment. Overall I quite enjoyed reading this book and was glad my reading has been quite a bit better the past week, compared with the two weeks before then.

I got some new library loans and I bought some books at the charity shop. I'll post about them once I've catalogued them all.

I've only read Pandora's Star by Peter F Hamilton. I loved it, but it does take a lot of time and concentration to read, which is what has put me off reading his other books. I know I will get around to them at some point, but I need to be in the mood for them.

That's true, his books do take some time and concentration. I can see how it would put you off. I personally like it but only when I'm in the right mood for it. I hope you'll get around to them some day :).

Q1 Summary (January, February, March)

I completely forgot to write a summary of the first quarter of the year like I usually do. I have however been writing short monthly summaries, so I thought I'd just post some quick statistics and lists.

I've read 98 books during the first three months of the year (I abandoned 3) (* 1 day of the April read-a-thon fell at the end of March). I read ~25875 pages. Below some lists, I picked out of my favourites and least favourites lists of my January summary, my February summary and my March summary.

Most impressive / Favourites of Jan / Feb / Mar:

Stephen King - The Stand

Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 2: Last of the Wilds

Trudi Canavan - The Age of the Five 3: Voice of the Gods

Brandon Sanderson - Warbreaker

Catherine Ryan Hyde - When I Found You

Diane Chamberlain - The Lies We Told

Scott Meyer - Master of Formalities

Holly Black and Cassandra Clare - Magisterium 2: The Copper Gauntlet

Ann M. Martin - How to Look for a Lost Dog

Maria V. Snyder - Storm Watcher

Lauren Oliver - Liesl & Po (Dutch)

Geronimo Stilton - De Grote Invasie van Rokford (La Grande Invasione di Topazia)

(because it's always fun to remember favourites)

Biggest disappointments / Least favourites of Jan / Feb / Mar:

Roddy Doyle - Dead Man Talking

Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 5: An Unexpected Wedding

Leigh Bardugo - De Grisha 2: Dreiging en Duisternis (The Grisha 2: Siege and Storm)