Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

I don't think it's cliffhangers that bother me so much-needed in fact it sort of makes me want to read the next book...what it's supposed to do lol. I just hate when it takes so long for the others to come out, it ruins the flow.

What did you get??

If an author writes the next book in a fairly timely manner it doesn't bother me.....too much.  What really gets me steamed is when it's years, or when the publishing date keeps getting pushed back.  An example is Justin Cronin's vampire series.  The Passage and The Twelve came out close enough, but the last one (name escapes me at the mo) has been put off, I think, 3 times.  I'm almost at the point of "who cares".  But of course, I'll have it the minute it comes out.  :roll:  :D

Ah, City of Mirrors, that's the 3rd one.

And then there is Diana Gabaldon.....'nuff said there.  :roll:

Oh, and of course, the topper for length of time.......Robert Harris and his Cicero trilogy.  Ten Years!

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, delaying the date makes it really hard, as does the date being far away. Wow.. ten years! That is such a long time. When is Diana Gabaldon's next book coming out (at least, when do they say it will be :roll:). It makes sense you want to have City of Mirrors as soon as it comes out :giggle2:.

Shame you weren't as gone on Master of Formalities. I haven't looked it up yet, myself.

Thanks, well it was still an enjoyable experience for me, I wouldn't say it's not worth reading. But there isn't much that would be able to trump Off to Be the Wizard for me, in its genre. This book is science-fiction, there is no "magic" or anything. I thought the system of formalities was certainly interesting. The humour in the book was just different than what I was expecting. But I definitely don't regret reading the book.

Enjoy your new books !  :D

Thanks :D. Some of them arrived today, others will come hopefully later this week, or next week.

I read Berthold Gunster - Ja-maar©... Huh?!. It was an interesting book. I've read other books by this author. I quite liked the examples given in this book, most of them were quite amusing. I'm not the kind of person that finds it easy to put the book's knowledge to good use in real life, though that's no fault of the book. The book is about psychology and reverse psychology.. it's kind of hard to explain.

Do you have any CRH books on the horizon? How many books have you read so far this year?

I own a few I haven't read yet, I don't know which one of those I'll read next though. I usually only plan on what I read, just after I finish the previous book, except for read-a-thons and library loans (because the loans are due so they have priority). So it will depend when I feel in the mood to read another CRH.

So far I've read 109 books (if I include the books I finished over the past few days, I haven't posted about them yet). This year I'm going more for just reading which books I feel like reading, rather than going for reading a specific amount of books. I read 143 books in 2013, 254 in 2014 and 502 in 2015. There's no way I'm going to "outdo myself", and I just want to read, what I feel in the mood for :). I think I will read maybe 300 - 400 books, the way things are looking now.

Here's what I read for the read-a-thon, along with on occasion some thoughts about the book.

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 41: Inge Hakt De Knoop Door (The Babysitter's Club 41: Mary Anne vs. Logan) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 42: Opgepast, Jessie! (Jessi and the Dance School Phantom) (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 22: De Cock en de Dood van een Clown (this was a pretty good one)

Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Verbazingwekkende Verenigde Staten (Horrible Histories: The USA) (re-read) (I didn't like this one as much as the other Horrible Histories books I've read. I felt it focused too much on the war and violence and less on culture.)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 4: Het Geheimzinnige Geschrift van Nostradamuis (Il Misterioso Manuscritto di Nostratopus) (not as good as most other ones I've read of this series)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 20: Prettige Vakantie, Stilton?! (L'hai Voluta la Vacanza, Stilton?) (not as good as most other ones I've read of this series)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 46: Goud in Gevaar (Attacco Alla Statua d'Oro!) (out of the above three, I liked this one the best)

Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 1: Het Kasteel van de 100 Verhalen (Il Castello Delle 100 Storie) (this one was nicer than the three above this one)

Cornelia Funke - Emma and the Blue Genie (Emma und der blaue Dschinn) (this was allright, but not brilliant)

Sabine Zett - Hugo 1: Hugo's Geniale Wereld (Hugo's geniale Welt) (it was good to read book 1, I had read books 2, 3 and 4 at an earlier time)

Geoff Rodkey - The Tapper Twins 1: The Tapper Wins Go To War (With Each Other) (this was very entertaining. I loved the way the story was told)

Tommy Greenwald and J. P. Coovert - Otto-Jan 2: Otto-Jan zegt JA tegen Slijmen (Charlie Joe Jackson 2: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit) (this was funny in places)

Jacques Vriens (ill. Annet Schaap) - Meester Jaap: Meester Jaap gaat naar het Kinderboekenmuseum (re-read)

Marion van de Coolwijk (ill. Harmen van Straaten) - De Griezelfilm (this was nice)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 19: Het Kasteel van Markies Kattebas (Il Castello di Zampaciccia Zanzamiao) (this one was pretty nice)

Oscar Tortuga - Oscar Tortuga - Wie Wint Geronimo? (om op te eten...) (Sei Ciccia per gatti Geronimo Stilton!) (this one was pretty nice)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 14: Vijf Prima Ballerina's (Mistero Dietro le Quinte) (this was really nice to read)

I'll now post my March summary, which is a bit skewed since I started the April read-a-thon on March 31rst, so the totals for March will be higher than the ones for April, most likely.

As for my new books that I mentioned a little while ago, there's one still to come but it's been delayed. I will post photos when I've got all the books.

March Summary

Books read: 40

Pages read: 9293

Books read in the read-a-thon: 20 + 6 (read-a-thon April, on March 31rst)

Pages read in the read-a-thon: 3928 pages + 825 (read-a-thon April, on March 31rst)

Books read outside of the read-a-thon: 14

Pages read outside of the read-a-thon: 4540

Most impressive / Favourites of the month:

Geronimo Stilton - De Grote Invasie van Rokford (La Grande Invasione di Topazia)

Brandon Sanderson - Warbreaker

Diane Chamberlain - The Lies We Told

Scott Meyer - Master of Formalities

Lauren Oliver - Liesl & Po (Dutch)

Holly Black and Cassandra Clare - Magisterium 2: The Copper Gauntlet

Maria V. Snyder - Storm Watcher

Biggest disappointment / Least favourite of the month:

Peter V. Brett - The Demon Cycle 4: The Skull Throne

(* this wasn't actually a bad book, but I read a lot of great books this month and felt I had to pick something for this category!)

Edited by Athena

If an author writes the next book in a fairly timely manner it doesn't bother me.....too much.  What really gets me steamed is when it's years, or when the publishing date keeps getting pushed back.  An example is Justin Cronin's vampire series.  The Passage and The Twelve came out close enough, but the last one (name escapes me at the mo) has been put off, I think, 3 times.  I'm almost at the point of "who cares".  But of course, I'll have it the minute it comes out.  :roll:  :D

Ah, City of Mirrors, that's the 3rd one.

And then there is Diana Gabaldon.....'nuff said there.  :roll:

Oh, and of course, the topper for length of time.......Robert Harris and his Cicero trilogy.  Ten Years!

I agree, delaying the date makes it really hard, as does the date being far away. Wow.. ten years! That is such a long time. When is Diana Gabaldon's next book coming out (at least, when do they say it will be :roll:). It makes sense you want to have City of Mirrors as soon as it comes out :giggle2:.

Well if there are six books in Alison Weir's new series and I hope it doesn't take six years!!

The new Jack Reacher book was delayed... grrr. But of course, like you, I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out! My dad and I read them together:)

Do you have any CRH books on the horizon? How many books have you read so far this year?

I'm waiting for Leaving Blythe River in May :)

Well if there are six books in Alison Weir's new series and I hope it doesn't take six years!!

I hope it won't take six years!

The new Jack Reacher book was delayed... grrr. But of course, like you, I'll be getting it as soon as it comes out! My dad and I read them together:)

Awww :(.

I'm waiting for Leaving Blythe River in May :)

I hope it's good :)!

All the new books I ordered online, have arrived:

Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter - The Long Earth 4: The Long Utopia

Dorothy Koomson - That Girl From Nowhere

Diane Chamberlain - The Dance 1: Pretending To Dance

Brandon Mull - Beyonders 1: A World Without Heroes

Brandon Mull - Beyonders 2: Seeds Of Rebellion

Brandon Mull - Beyonders 3: Chasing the Prophecy

Brandon Mull - Fablehaven 1: Fablehaven

Brandon Mull - Fablehaven 2: Rise Of The Evening Star

Brandon Mull - Fablehaven 3: Grip Of The Shadow Plague

Brandon Mull - Fablehaven 4: Secrets Of The Dragon Sanctuary

Brandon Mull - Fablehaven 5: Keys to the Demon Prison

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice The Early Years 1: The Tournament At Gorlan

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 1: The Ruins Of Gorlan

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 2: The Burning Bridge

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 3: The Icebound Land

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 4: Oakleaf Bearers

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 5: The Sorcerer In The North

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 6: The Siege Of Macindaw

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 7: Erak's Ransom

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 8: The Kings Of Clonmel

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 9: Halt's Peril

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 10: The Emperor Of Nihon-Ja

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 11: The Lost Stories

John Flanagan - Ranger's Apprentice 12: The Royal Ranger

John Flanagan - Brotherband 1: The Outcasts

John Flanagan - Brotherband 2: The Invaders

John Flanagan - Brotherband 3: The Hunters

John Flanagan - Brotherband 4: Slaves of Socorro

John Flanagan - Brotherband 5: Scorpion Mountain

(I have actually read all but one of the John Flanagan books, at the library, so technically I'm not adding those to my TBR :P)

NewBooksOnlineOrderSpines.jpg

NewBooksOnlineOrderCovers1.jpg

(I was a bit disappointed that The Long Utopia was such a strange size. It seemed to be the only one available, though, at the shop.)

NewBooksOnlineOrderCovers2.jpg

NewBooksOnlineOrderCovers3.jpg

NewBooksOnlineOrderCovers4.jpg

NewBooksOnlineOrderCovers5.jpg

NewBooksOnlineOrderCovers6.jpg

NewBooksOnlineOrderCovers7.jpg

(for some reason one of these is an American edition whereas the others are British, but again it was the only edition they had available, so not much to do. I'm very happy at least that the spines match (minus the publisher logo).)

I traded a book at a mini library:

Milly Johnson - Lentekriebels (A Spring Affair)

NewBookMinibiebTrade_0.25.jpg

I bought two Kindle ebooks:

Diane Chamberlain - The Dance 0.5: The Dance Begins

Rainbow Rowell - Kindred Spirits

(I would've preferred a paperback edition of Kindred Spirits but it seems limited to US and UK only (and maybe other countries), I couldn't find it in any Dutch shop I looked at, so I bought the Kindle edition on Amazon US.)

Wow that is a lot of new books, I hope you can find room for them all! I really need to read another Diane Chamberlain, I haven't read one for aaaages! :)

Thanks Chalie :)! Yes, I did find room for them (but it's true that most of my book shelves are double-stacked :P). I love Diane Chamberlain's books, I hope you enjoy the next one you read :). This is her newest one (just released in paperback, the hardcover has been out longer), then I found it she wrote a novella / short story as a prequel, as an ebook, so I bought that too. She is one of my 'auto-buy' authors, any new release by her, I want :P.

I re-read James Clemens - The Banned and the Banished 1: Wit'ch Fire. This is one of my favourite fantasy series (I have many :P), I read it in my first or second year at university. I've only read it once, so I thought I'd re-read it now. I only remember the basic plot lines and characters, and things come back to me as I'm reading the books. It was really enjoyable to re-read this first book, and I look forward to re-read the other 4 books in the series as well, soon.

I love all the pictures of your books posted!  So neat!! :D

Hah!  Who knows?  Even Gabaldon doesn't! http://www.dianagabaldon.com/books/outlander-series/book-nine-outlander-series/

The Long Utopia looks really weird ! I have the first two books, and I`m not sure about continuing with the series ( so I`ll be interested in your views  ;) ).

I agree! I have no idea why they decided on that format. It feels a bit awkward to hold, and it's taller than my books 2 and 3, and its width is smaller than my edition of book 1. Oh I didn't know that, I'll let you know what I think :).

I love all the pictures of your books posted!  So neat!! :D

Hah, that's kind of a shame she doesn't know :(. It does make sense in a way though, but it's still annoying!

Great pictures! And woohoo for Brotherband and Ranger's (oh, spell check didn't like that!) Apprentice! You must be so happy to have them (and room!) on your shelves :)

Great pictures! And woohoo for Brotherband and Ranger's (oh, spell check didn't like that!) Apprentice! You must be so happy to have them (and room!) on your shelves :)

Thanks! I am happy to have them :).

I read Philip K. Dick - Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said. It was an interesting story though I enjoyed it a little bit less than the other two PKD books I read (which are Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? and A Scanner Darkly). It was still an enjoyable read and as usual with PKD it has some weirdness to it :P.

Your new books look great! It is odd that the The Long Utopia is such a different size!

I really want to read something by Philip K. Dick. I'm glad you enjoyed the last book of his you read, even though it didn't quite match the first two  :smile:

I really want to read something by Philip K. Dick. I'm glad you enjoyed the last book of his you read, even though it didn't quite match the first two  :smile:

I hope you do! There is a short story of his available for free on Amazon, if you have a Kindle or app. It's called The Hanging Stranger.

Gaia, the more I think about this book, the more I like it. Still wish my theory had been right though :P. You should probably read the free short story, it'd probably take you 15 minutes :)

I read Philip K. Dick - Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said. It was an interesting story though I enjoyed it a little bit less than the other two PKD books I read (which are Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? and A Scanner Darkly). It was still an enjoyable read and as usual with PKD it has some weirdness to it :P.

Just looked it up, and onto the wishlist it goes. :)  Looks good.  Thanks!

I hope you do! There is a short story of his available for free on Amazon, if you have a Kindle or app. It's called The Hanging Stranger.

Gaia, the more I think about this book, the more I like it. Still wish my theory had been right though :P. You should probably read the free short story, it'd probably take you 15 minutes :)

Sounds interesting.  One of the reviewers on Amazon compared it to Twilight Zone stories.......and I love TZ!  Thanks for mentioning.

Your new books look great! It is odd that the The Long Utopia is such a different size!

I just posted about it in your thread, unfortunately it isn't free for me in the Netherlands :(. But thanks, though :).

Just looked it up, and onto the wishlist it goes. :)  Looks good.  Thanks!

Sounds interesting.  One of the reviewers on Amazon compared it to Twilight Zone stories.......and I love TZ!  Thanks for mentioning.

I hope you enjoy it if / when you read either one of them or both :)!