Athena's Reading List 2016

Athena

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Happy reading in 2016, Athena!  :readingtwo:   :smile2:

But mostly, I just want to read what I feel like reading. I'll continue to go to the library as well as read my own books. I am a mood reader, so what I'll read next really depends on my mood (and in the case of the library, what the library has available at that time). I don't tend to make huge piles with 'these books I want to read this year' (I kind of did so last year and I failed), the only exception is that I do make read-a-thon piles (otherwise I lose too much time over the read-a-thon weekend trying to decide what to read next).

I'm very much a mood reader, too :yes: When I visit my parents in my hometown and go to the library and borrow a handful of books, my Dad or Mom will always ask if I have to borrow so many ('Do you really think you can read and finish all those books in the few days you're staying?'  'No...' 'Then why do you borrow so many of them??' 'Well because I won't know what I'm in the mood for until I pick the books up one by one and start reading one and stick with it...' :lol: ). Do you have the same thing happen for you sometimes? :)

Your book log is very, very organized! I love it that you've incorporated pictures of your bookcases. It'll be easy that way to come back and look at your bookcases after a few years and see all the possible changes :)

Edited by frankie

Happy reading in 2016, Gaia!

You have the most organised reading log by far on this forum. :D In 2016 I hope to spend a bit more time organising my collection in Book Collector. I'm afraid I rather neglected it this year (or for at least most of the year). I haven't even been adding in the most basic information when I finish each book (date read, rating)!

I think it's good that you're reducing a bit of stress on yourself by not doing so many challenges and by focusing on just having fun. Good for you! :D

I'm very much a mood reader, too :yes: When I visit my parents in my hometown and go to the library and borrow a handful of books, my Dad or Mom will always ask if I have to borrow so many ('Do you really think you can read and finish all those books in the few days you're staying?'  'No...' 'Then why do you borrow so many of them??' 'Well because I won't know what I'm in the mood for until I pick the books up one by one and start reading one and stick with it...' :lol: ). Do you have the same thing happen for you sometimes? :)

Thanks, Frankie :smile2:! Haha, that same thing happens with me too sometimes :). I usually read most of my library loans but there are some occasions where I thought "well, I don't know yet if I'll feel like this book but I'll borrow it just in case I feel like it" and then sometimes I end up not reading it, and sometimes I do. I usually borrow more at the library than I planned to borrow.

Your book log is very, very organized! I love it that you've incorporated pictures of your bookcases. It'll be easy that way to come back and look at your bookcases after a few years and see all the possible changes :)

Thank you :), I love seeing pictures of my book cases made some years ago. I wish I had started to photograph them earlier. I love seeing how it was in earlier times.

You have the most organised reading log by far on this forum. :D In 2016 I hope to spend a bit more time organising my collection in Book Collector. I'm afraid I rather neglected it this year (or for at least most of the year). I haven't even been adding in the most basic information when I finish each book (date read, rating)!

I think it's good that you're reducing a bit of stress on yourself by not doing so many challenges and by focusing on just having fun. Good for you! :D

Thanks, Kylie :D! That means a lot to me. Good luck with Book Collector! When I finish reading a book, the next time I'm at the computer I go to Book Collector and add the reading date (and started to read date, I added that in the user defined fields) and the rating. I can imagine it's a daunting thing to do when you have lots of books that need basic information :(. This year I think I won't do ratings in my reading log. But I will add them in Book Collector and GoodReads, since they ask for a rating. But it will be somewhat meaningless as I've become unsure on how to rate things. But that's a different discussion.

Thanks for both your comments (Frankie and Kylie) on my log :)!

I'm totally like this too, Frankie. I actually had a similar conversation with my boyfriend. We were at the library and I checked out a stack of books and he says, "Do you really think you can read all those books before they're due?"

This is why I always have more than one book going at once! Sometimes I don't want to read something even if it's really good, if it just doesn't fit my mood.

Athena, I think you have the most extensive and involved thread on here! I like the pictures of your bookshelves. You own so many books! I actually only have one bookshelf in my house. At my old house I had a lot more, but I needed to downsize a lot when I moved (I lived with my grandma, and I'd lived there quite a while so I had books from even when I was a little kid). My collection is growing pretty quickly however, so in a few more books I think I may need to invest in a new one! :)

Wow, what a blog, I'm wondering if I can count this as one of my reads for 2015? ;):D

Good on you for keeping it simple and just reading what you want to read, I have to do the same or I end up barely reading at all. I get very cross when I am asked why I haven't read certain popular books, or even worse, what books are my guilty pleasure? I read what I want to read and when I want to read it, I don't care what anyone else thinks! I'm glad you do the same.  :flowers2:

Have a great 2016 Gaia, reading and otherwise!  :smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

I'm totally like this too, Frankie. I actually had a similar conversation with my boyfriend. We were at the library and I checked out a stack of books and he says, "Do you really think you can read all those books before they're due?"

This is why I always have more than one book going at once! Sometimes I don't want to read something even if it's really good, if it just doesn't fit my mood.

It's great to know you have that too! I don't read multiple books at once though generally, because I find that confusing. But I can fully understand why you do so. 

Athena, I think you have the most extensive and involved thread on here! I like the pictures of your bookshelves. You own so many books! I actually only have one bookshelf in my house. At my old house I had a lot more, but I needed to downsize a lot when I moved (I lived with my grandma, and I'd lived there quite a while so I had books from even when I was a little kid). My collection is growing pretty quickly however, so in a few more books I think I may need to invest in a new one! :)

Thank you :)!! If you decide to get a new bookshelf, I'd love to see pictures of it (or of your current one). I always love getting a new bookshelf and then deciding what to put where. Have fun :)

Wow, what a blog, I'm wondering if I can count this as one of my reads for 2015? ;):D

Good on you for keeping it simple and just reading what you want to read, I have to do the same or I end up barely reading at all. I get very cross when I am asked why I haven't read certain popular books, or even worse, what books are my guilty pleasure? I read what I want to read and when I want to read it, I don't care what anyone else thinks! I'm glad you do the same.  :flowers2:

Have a great 2016 Gaia, reading and otherwise!  :smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:  :readingtwo:  :smile:

Haha :D!! Thank you, Chalie. I fully agree with you :friends3:. Happy reading to you too :readingtwo:!!

:rolol:

Thanks, Noll :D!!

Thanks, Frankie :smile2:! Haha, that same thing happens with me too sometimes :). I usually read most of my library loans but there are some occasions where I thought "well, I don't know yet if I'll feel like this book but I'll borrow it just in case I feel like it" and then sometimes I end up not reading it, and sometimes I do. I usually borrow more at the library than I planned to borrow.

I'm really glad I'm not the only one :D It's a bit frustrating though because it's the same conversation every time I go home and visit the library with my folks. I should perhaps write my reasons for borrowing many books simultaneously on a piece of paper, then laminate it, and then just give it to the next person who asks me about borrowing so many books :D This way I would save the time that would otherwise be spent in the conversation, for something else. Like looking for more books :P 

I'm really glad I'm not the only one :D It's a bit frustrating though because it's the same conversation every time I go home and visit the library with my folks. I should perhaps write my reasons for borrowing many books simultaneously on a piece of paper, then laminate it, and then just give it to the next person who asks me about borrowing so many books :D This way I would save the time that would otherwise be spent in the conversation, for something else. Like looking for more books :P

Haha :D!

When I finish reading a book, the next time I'm at the computer I go to Book Collector and add the reading date (and started to read date, I added that in the user defined fields) and the rating. I can imagine it's a daunting thing to do when you have lots of books that need basic information :(. This year I think I won't do ratings in my reading log. But I will add them in Book Collector and GoodReads, since they ask for a rating. But it will be somewhat meaningless as I've become unsure on how to rate things. But that's a different discussion.

I used to update BC immediately after finishing a book too, but somehow it started slipping my mind! I update it straight away on GR though, so at least I have the information in one place for when I'm ready to update BC.

I used to update BC immediately after finishing a book too, but somehow it started slipping my mind! I update it straight away on GR though, so at least I have the information in one place for when I'm ready to update BC.

That's good, you know where to find the information when you need it :).

Hi Athena  I wish for you good reading enjoyment for this year. I know what you mean about the meaningless of ratings. I have changed my mind radically about books I have read, and sometimes after only short periods of time, so is there any point rating at all, except the visceral reaction of like/don't like?   

Gaia, I am totally verklempt!  Totally blown away by your organization, love it!!  :flowers2:

Happy, happy reading year!!  :D

I like the laminating idea, it could apply to all sorts of dumb questions................... :roll:  /evil grin/

Edited by pontalba

Hi Athena  I wish for you good reading enjoyment for this year. I know what you mean about the meaningless of ratings. I have changed my mind radically about books I have read, and sometimes after only short periods of time, so is there any point rating at all, except the visceral reaction of like/don't like?

Look at how organized you are!!!  :readingtwo: Hope you have a great 2016 full of wonderful bookish travels!

Thank you :)!!

Gaia, I am totally verklempt!  Totally blown away by your organization, love it!!  :flowers2:

Happy, happy reading year!!  :D

Thanks, Kate :D!!

I like the laminating idea, it could apply to all sorts of dumb questions................... :roll:  /evil grin/

It would be quite useful haha :D

Ha ha ha I have brought you to the dark side of no ratings!! :P

We'll have lots of fun reading this year and I look forward to some good books with you :friends0:

Yep :P.

Me too :friends0:.

During the January read-a-thon, I read:

Sophie Hannah - Pictures or It Didn't Happen

This book surprised me, it had a pretty good twist.

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 29: Tine En Het Geheimzinnige Dagboek (The Babysitter's Club 29: Mallory and the Mystery Diary) (re-read)

Another re-read of a BSC book, it was nice.

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 36: Onverwacht Bezoek Voor Jessie (The Babysitter's Club 36: Jessi's Baby-sitter) (re-read)

It was nice to re-read this BSC book.

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 8: De Cock en de Ontgoochelde Dode

This was pretty good, even if I guessed a few things eventually.

Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Gave Grieken (The Groovy Greeks) (re-read)

This was an enjoyable re-read. Ancient Greece is a very interesting period in history I think.

Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 5: An Unexpected Wedding]

I was very disappointed by this. I already felt the series was declining in quality, compared to the author's earlier work, but this one I didn't enjoy at all and I struggled to make it through this short story. After finishing it, I cancelled my pre-orders for books 6 and 7 in the series. Such a shame. I really enjoyed the author's Better Date Than Never series, but this short story was just.. ugh.

Dr. Seuss - The Sneetches and Other Stories

I particularly liked the story of The Sneetches. This was a fun book.

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 61: Wielrennen is Écht Mijn Sport (La Corsa Piú Pazza d'America!)

It was interesting to learn a bit more about 'professional cycling' I think it's called in English, even if it's not something I want to watch on television.

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 66: Het Leven Lijkt een Rodeo (La Vita è un Rodeo)

On this day a lot of things went wrong for Geronimo. It was nice.

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 4: Fantasia IV: Het Drakenei (Viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia 4: Quarto viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia)

I always really like the Fantasia books, this one was quite enjoyable to read.

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 18: Liefde aan het Hof van de Tsaar (Amore alla Corte degli Zar)

I always like this series, this was a nice one and it was nice to learn more about Russia and about figure skating.

Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 1: Het Dromenlabyrint (Il Labirinto dei Sogni)

It was nice to read this book. I enjoyed it.

Bat Pat (Roberto Pavanello) - Bat Pat 13: Skelet in het Bos (Picnic con Mister Ossobuco

This was allright, not my favourite in the series but somewhat enjoyable, a few things were a bit predictable.

Jeff Kinney - Diary of a Wimpy Kid 6: Cabin Fever

This was pretty funny. My only complain was that it took quite a bit of time before the book got to the point that the synopsis on the back of the book, talks about. I was kind of waiting for it to happen but it didn't happen until further than halfway through the book. The whole book was pretty funny though so that made up for it.

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 8: Tales from a Not-So-Happily Ever After

This was a bit different than the earlier books in the series, I quite enjoyed this book particularly the Fairy Land parts.

Liz Pichon - Tom Groot 7: Is dat even Mazzel (of niet?) (Tom Gates 7: A Tiny Bit Lucky)

This was a nice read.

Andy Griffiths (ill. Terry Denton) - The 13-Story Treehouse 1: The 13-Story Treehouse

This was a nice read, though I think I liked book 2 more. But I read that one first, so maybe it was just more impressive the first time. If I had read book 1 first, I might've feel like I enjoyed book 1 more. It was entertaining.

After reading and abandoning two books, I settled on John Flanagan - De Grijze Jager 6: Het Beleg van Macindaw (Ranger's Apprentice 6: The Siege of Macindaw). I read all other books in this series last year, and I really liked them. It took a while before this book was available at the library, but I could finally read it now. I read most of the series in English, but a couple in Dutch because I couldn't find the English versions (they were loaned out or on order). I quite liked reading this book, it continues the story of book 5, the two are sort of a duology if you will. I was happy to finally read how it ends, though of course since I've read the later books, I knew bits of what would happen. I haven't been feeling very motivated to read these past few days (probably because I read a lot during the read-a-thon), but I enjoyed reading this book and read it in one day. I now though don't feel much motivated again, hopefully I can find a book that I enjoy reading right now (I'm going to try my remaining library loans first).

I read Roderick Leeuwenhart - Pindakaas en Sushi (1). The book is called Pindakaas en Sushi, I'd already read book 2 of the series called Pindakaas en Sushi 2. It was nice to read the first book, though I don't think I like it more then the second book. I think I might actually prefer the second book. But anyway, it was nice to read it. It had more depth than the synopsis made it sound like.

I read Anthony Horowitz - De Kracht van Vijf 1: Raven's Gate (The Power of Five 1: Raven's Gate). I previously read books 4 and 5 in this series, so I know how it'll end. But it was good to read the beginning. I will say the first book is a bit different in tone than the 4th and 5th book, but not in a bad way or anything. Just different in terms of suspense I guess. I liked book 1, and will be reading book 2 soon. Unfortunately my library doesn't have book 3.