Books You're Looking Forward To In 2016

Kylie

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult on October 11th

:o! I want to read this :D. I'll wait for the medium sized paperback release though. But it sounds really good.

(Don't know if anyone already mentioned it but) I'm really looking forward to "Lady Midnight by Cassandra Claire." The book will be released in the end of May. I think the English version already is available. Has anyone read it so far? :)

The English hardcover is out, yes. I'm waiting for a medium sized paperback release, but I've heard mixed things about the book online. Some people really liked it, others liked it less so.

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

A new book has just come out by Maria Semple (author of Where'd You Go, Bernadette?) It's called Today Will Be Different. Here's the synopsis (from the Book Depository):

Eleanor Flood knows she's a mess. But today will be different. Today she will shower and put on real clothes. She will attend her yoga class after dropping her son, Timby, off at school. She'll see an old friend for lunch. She won't swear. She will initiate sex with her husband, Joe. But before she can put her modest plan into action - life happens. For today is the day Timby has decided to pretend to be ill to weasel his way into his mother's company. It's also the day surgeon Joe has chosen to tell his receptionist - but not Eleanor - that he's on vacation. And just when it seems that things can't go more awry, a former colleague produces a relic from the past - a graphic memoir with pages telling of family secrets long buried and a sister to whom Eleanor never speaks. From the dazzling pen of Maria Semple, author of bestselling Where'd You Go, Bernadette, comes a hilarious and life-affirming story about a woman who wakes up determined to be her best self.

There's also a debut book by an Australian author that sounds quite intriguing. It's called Wild Island by Jennifer Livett. It incorporates a character from Jane Eyre and is set in Australia, and I've read good reviews about it. Synopsis (from Goodreads):

'My name is Harriet Adair, and forty years ago on that ship I was Jane Eyre's companion. That voyage also brought me friendship with another intrepid Jane: Lady Franklin. Her husband, Sir John, the Arctic Lion, was Lieutenant Governor of Van Diemen's Land during the six turbulent years when Jane Eyre and Edward Rochester had good reason to be closely interested in the island.'

Harriet Adair has come to Van Diemen's Land with Mrs Anna Rochester, who is recovering from years of imprisonment in the attic of 'Thornfield Hall'. Sent to the colony by Jane and Rochester, they are searching for the truth about Anna's past, trying to unearth long-buried secrets.

Captain Charles O'Hara Booth, Commandant of Port Arthur Penal Settlement, fears some secrets of his own will be discovered when Sir John Franklin replaces Colonel Arthur as Governor. Franklin and his wife Jane arrive in Hobart Town to find the colony is run by a clique of Arthur's former army officers who have no intention of relinquishing their power.

This dazzling modern recreation of a nineteenth century novel ingeniously entwines Jane Eyre's iconic love story with Sir John Franklin's great tale of exploration and empire. A brilliant and historically accurate depiction of Van Demonian society in the 1800s, as well as a vivid portrayal of the human cost of colonisation, Wild Island shows us that fiction and history are not so different after all. Each story, whether it be truth or fiction, is shaped by its teller.

Hmm if it's about the first Mrs Rochester her name was Bertha in the book.

Yes, it's about Bertha. According to Wikipedia, her full name was Bertha Antoinetta Mason, and in Wide Sargasso Sea she was known as Antoinette. I think Wild Island bases the character a bit on the Wide Sargasso Sea version of the character, so maybe the author has used Anna as a shortened form of Antoinette? I assume there's an explanation in the book.

Graeme Simsion (who wrote The Rosie Project and The Rosie Effect) has a new book coming out in a few weeks called The Best of Adam Sharp.

Wohoo! This is awesome! Going on my wishlist :smile2: 

A new book has just come out by Maria Semple (author of Where'd You Go, Bernadette?) It's called Today Will Be Different

I'd heard about this :smile2: I've reserved a copy from the library! (As soon as they have 'em...)

I'm personally looking forward to reading a new novel written by a Finnish author whose books I've read and loved: Niina Hakalahti. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Me too! :)

Happy times ahead!! :smile2:   :friends3:  :readingtwo:  :readingtwo:   :exc::D 

I am going to by myself the book in the new year when my book buying ban is over.

Oh you're on a book buying ban? Oh rats! :unsure::D  Good luck with it! 

I've reserved a copy from the library because I couldnt' decide whether to buy a hardback now or wait for a paperback (which would compliment the other paperback editions I have of the other books in the series). I'll buy my own copy eventually. Will probably wait for the paperback.