Books You're Looking Forward To In 2016

Kylie

It's time for one of my favourite threads of the year...finding out about all the new releases to look forward to in the next year!

I just found out that the fourth book in MRC Kasasian's Gower Street Detective series is coming out in June. It's called The Secrets of Gaslight Lane.

Various newspapers will soon be publishing lists of upcoming books. If you find them before me, please post the link! I can't wait to find out what our favourite authors have in store for us. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two so far -- although neither of them are novels.  :D

The first is the trade paperback of Midnighter, which is a new superhero comic series.  I don't usually enjoy superhero stuff, but this one appealed to me.  It's coming out in March.

The second is Allie Brosh's new collection of cartoons and thoughts, Solutions and Other Problems.  The publication date keeps getting pushed back, so I'm not sure when it will emerge -- but hopefully at some point next year.

I love this thread too, Kylie!

I'm very much looking forward to Alan Bradley's new one, Thrice the Brinded Cat Hath Mew'd.  I'm not sure when it's out in the US, but I have a feeling the info might be over in the Flavia thread...

I'm also anxiously awaiting Tracy Chevalier's new book, At the Edge of the Orchard, which is due out in March.  She is easily one of my favorite authors :D.

I'm also anxiously awaiting Tracy Chevalier's new book, At the Edge of the Orchard, which is due out in March.  She is easily one of my favorite authors :D.

I plan on The Last Runaway in 2016 :)

Here's an article mentioning some new releases in 2016. I've summarised some of the new books below, but please be sure to check out the link, as there are many I haven't mentioned below.

Julian Barnes The Noise of Time (January)
'Set in 1930s Russia, The Noise of Time is about the life of the composer Shostakovich.'

Yann Martel The High Mountains of Portugal (February)
'It is about a quest for a lost relic which takes the reader from Africa in the 1600s to contemporary North America.'

Jessie Burton The Muse (July)
'The Muse is set during the Spanish Civil War and 30 years later in London. It tells the story of a young Caribbean immigrant and a bohemian artist.'

Stella Gibbons Pure Juliet (January)
A lost novel! 'It tells the story of a teenager who runs away from the life her parents have planned for her.'

Philip Norman Macca: The Life of Paul McCartney
'The first full biography written with Paul McCartney's approval and with access to his close family and friends.'
(Kylie says: Wasn't Barry Miles' Many Years from Now authorised by Paul?)

I simply can not wait for a new series by Alison Weir, 6 Tudor Wives, the first is about Katherine of Aragon and comes out May 31st.

In the meantime she will be out with The Lost Tudor Princess: The Life of Margret Douglas January 12th.  :exc:

These are the books currently on my radar:

The Silver Tide, by Jen Williams (February/July, depending on which edition I go for!)

Who Killed Sherlock Holmes? by Paul Cornell (May) - Though need to read The Severed Streets first!

The Hanging Tree, by Ben Aaronovitch (June)

Stiletto, by Daniel O'Malley (also, June)

I am looking forward to Ballroom by Anna Hope (Feb), her debut 'Wake' was excellent.

'Half Lost', the third and final book in the Half Bad trilogy is being published at the end of March, I've not enjoyed much YA fiction in the last couple of years but these have been an exception.

Another book I am looking forward to is 'Rooms for Lost Souls' by Lezanne Clannachan but the date for publication kept shifting and now Amazon says it doesn't know when it will become available. I need to do some digging as her debut, 'Jellybird' was excellent.

The two I am most looking forward to are:

Hitman Anders and the Meaning of it all: Jonas Jonasson

and of course Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley

There are some also on my wish sit that I have been patiently waiting for in paperback that will be out in the first half of the year:

Man I Became: Peter Verhelst

The Undesired: Yrsa Sigurdardottir

Quicksand: Steve Toltz

The Mirror World of Melody Black: Gavin Extence

The Heart of Man: Jón Kalman Stefansson (really looking forward to this one)

I'm looking forward to a couple of books coming out in paperback, as they're only in hardback at the moment.  They are Public Library and other stories by Ali Smith (May) and also At Hawthorne Time by Melissa Harrison (April).

There are also some new children's books I'm looking forward to ... Perijee and Me by Ross Montgomery and Beetle Boy by M. G. Leonard both due out in March and Strange Star by Emma Carroll due in July.

Yay! The Guardian has put up its wonderfully long article of new releases by calendar month. Check it out here.

Just had a look through this one ... Eligible by Curtis Sittenfeld jumps out at me!  Not only because it's part of the series of modern retellings of Jane Austen stories which I'm reading, but also I love Sittenfeld's books, so this is a no-brainer for me! :D

Later in the year, I'm extremely pleased to see another Ali Smith novel due in August too.

Just came across this article on The Pool website - I love how the writer has split the books into various categories, and some interesting books to look out for in there.  I particularly like the look of some of the debut books, and on top of the ones I've already mentioned in this thread, I was reminded that Tracy Chevalier has a new book out next year called At The Edge of the Orchard and I've seen it praised elsewhere too, so I'm definitely going to be reading that one. :yes: