Noll's 2016 Books and Cross-Stitch

Nollaig

Was Little Coffee Shop In Kabul one you're not reviewing? Was it good?

I thought I'd come in here and ask, what kind of phone you have. Because I'd be reading on it a lot. I have a flip phone from the stone age :D. But we did some fantasy shopping yesterday ( :P ) and I looked at the IPhone and Google's new phone. Both were so pretty! They also showed us Motorola.

I've never even heard of that book, sorry! :giggle:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime :) It's okay but it's not great. I didn't realise, buying it, that 200 euro no longer gets you a vaguely decent phone. It was okay for reading on, but I did have the font very small. I have my new tablet now, so reading on that (when I do read, still slacking on that front!)

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never even heard of that book, sorry! :giggle:

I have a Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime :) It's okay but it's not great. I didn't realise, buying it, that 200 euro no longer gets you a vaguely decent phone. It was okay for reading on, but I did have the font very small. I have my new tablet now, so reading on that (when I do read, still slacking on that front!)

Thanks! In the end, we went with Google's new Pixel phone. I'm having so much fun... remember, I've only had flip phones :D

Thanks! In the end, we went with Google's new Pixel phone. I'm having so much fun... remember, I've only had flip phones :D

I've never even heard of that phone, I must look it up. Didn't know 'Google' was an option when it comes to phones!

I miss flip phones, they were so small and handy - this phone I own now is the first one large enough that I can not longer text with one hand because when I'm holding it, my thumb doesn't reach all the way across the screen. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

So long since I posted here, thanks my absent mojo! I've been pretty stressed lately, worrying about my application and interview for a job I don't want, but feel morally obliged to pursue for job stability/financial security. At the moment, I'm thinking I may withdraw my application, because I don't feel at all able emotionally to cope with a 40 minute interview with a 10 minute presentation.

In happier news - I'm getting back into the swing of things now, particularly with a mini Read-a-Thon this weekend. Determined to hit my 120 book goal for the year.

I have fivereviews to write, for the following books/story:

102. Holding - Graham Norton 3/5

103. Thin Air - Michelle Paver 4/5

104. The Lottery - Shirley Jackson 2/5

105. The Wonder - Emma Donoghue 4/5

106. Murder At the Old Vicarage - Jill McGown - 3/5

So I will hopefully get to those in the next few days.

As for my cross stitch, my bunny and robin are now basically done, with just a few more bits of white to be added, which will make little difference to how it looks.

post-4797-0-00691700-1479671568_thumb.jpg

I'm also working on a much more cartoony Christmas village scene, not sure yet how I feel about it but we'll see. I'm maybe a quarter of the way through doing it.

Good luck with the interview and presentation. I'm not sure if the job will be for you to be honest, if you feel you can't cope :(.

I look forward to read your reviews. Shame no 5 / 5 reads, but at least more 4's than 2's.

The cross-stitch looks great :)! If the Christmas village scene works out, I'd love to see a picture of it when it's done.

I could cope with the job, I just wouldn't like it. At all. The interview is the hard part, I find them very triggering and have panic attacks/get physically ill in any situation where I'm being formally evaluated.

Thanks! Might get on the reviews this afternoon.

I still need to figure out an avatar with a santa hat :D

I could cope with the job, I just wouldn't like it. At all.

I think if it was me, I wouldn't want a job I wouldn't like doing :(. But it'd be good to have job security of course. Good luck with the interview!

Good luck with the avatar, I look forward to the result :).

Good luck with the interview. I don't know if I could handle doing a presentation. I had an interview that required a presentation and I just cancelled it. :blush2:

If you won't like the job, is it worth it? I mean, will you end up hating going in to work every day? From my own experience, I think you need to somewhat enjoy your job, regardless of the money. Either way, if you go do through with it, good luck with the presentation. :smile:

Thanks everyone.

The only reason I'm considering it is it's job security in a job I know I can do at least passably. I've never really worked outside UCC, and I've always struggled to find any work outside of this place, so I'm really scared of winding up unemployed again. But I also don't think I'm gonna get the job anyway, certainly my presentation will be rubbish because I'll panic, and if they base it on that (as they should by regulation) then I shouldn't get it. So I just dunno what I should do. Lots of people say, 'just do the interview, you have nothing to lose', but these people clearly don't understand anxiety, because if I go through with it, I will be constantly anxious and possibly unwell in the lead-up to the interview, as well as definitely ill after it (which will, as an aside, ruin my Cologne trip, happening the day after it.) And all for the tiny possibility of a job I only want for security.

Anyway.

Thanks everyone for the support :)

I love your cross stitch! Are you going to have it as a decoration?

I hope that if you decide to go through with the interview (if if hasn't happened already?) it all goes well. My sister suffers from really severe anxiety, your last post reminds me of the way she can be when a stressful situation is approaching. If it was her I was talking to I would probably tell her don't put yourself through that, especially not to make other people happy, your health is far more important. 

You're clearly a kind and intelligent person though so if you do go for it, they'd be lucky to have you :smile:  

Hi Noll! It's been awhile since I stepped in, I agree with Gaia and BB, but can definitely see your dilemma with job security.

The bunny looks great and I can't wait to see the Christmas one :)

On another note: a 2/5 for The Lottery?? It's one of my favorites!

On another note: a 2/5 for The Lottery?? It's one of my favorites!

Everyone says it's dark/disturbing, so it was obvious what the lottery was for, the only question was method and why, and only one of those was answered, right at the very end, so..... yup. Meh. :P

Thanks everyone for the support, it's really, really appreciated. So far, still leaning towards not doing it.

Anxiety can be so annoying. I don't have any advice, really, but I just wanted to say that whatever you decide to do (go for it or not), try not to be too hard on yourself. You will know what the best decision is for you, and things will work out one way or the other. Sorry, that sounds very clichéd. And the next thing I'm going to say is even more clichéd, but it's so true it's annoying: 'this too shall pass'. Eventually this thing will be behind you. I know it probably doesn't comfort you much at the moment.. But you'll be alright in the end :) 

Thanks Frankie, I appreciate you taking the time to offer your support :flowers2:

I decided to cancel the interview. Part of me feels a bit guilty, part of me feels it was inevitable. I do think it's the best I could do for myself at the moment.

I fell the other day on some flipping ice on concrete steps outside my house, so I'm quite battered and bruised (sitting on the hard wooden seat of a chapel pew this evening for a carol service will be...,. interesting, to say the least! :giggle::blush2: ) but hopefully once that's healed a bit and I've distanced myself a bit from the cancellation, I'll start to feel a bit better.

I'm really hoping this evening kicks off my festive spirit, coz I really ain't feeling it and it's making me sad :(

Can't say I blame you for cancelling the interview....sounds like the right decision, as there seemed to be more cons than pros.

Ouch on the fall! I fell over a couple of days ago when I was out walking the dog. Falling over as an adult hurts like hell, and hurts for days.  :motz:   My leg is still bruised and my arm still aches. Hope you feel better soon, and good luck sitting on the wooden pew! :o

• 1 month later...

Well, this thread faded away completely didn't it! With getting sick, moving house, and then Christmas, I got some reading done but didn't finish any books - so hopefully I'll get three books finished early in the new year. Didn't meet my goal - read 112 books out of 120, but once it's over 100 I'm happy.