Noll's 2016 Books and Cross-Stitch

Nollaig

After this comment I had to look up the cover - and I have to say I agree with you, it is beautiful :)!

Isn't it? I'm planning on allowing myself maybe 20 euro a month to order hardcopies of books I've read in e-form from Amazon, while taking the equivalent amount of ones I don't want to a charity shop each month. The goal being to gradually transition my library into being full of good stuff I know I like, rather than stuff I've randomly picked up over the years.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

#8 Mrs Brown's Family Handbook - B. O'Carroll

Genre: Comedy/Irish Culture/Fiction
Synopsis: Mrs Brown's Family Handbook, the first official book from Brendan O'Carroll's brilliant comic creation, is filled with useful advice and gives us a unique look into the lives of the Brown family. Millions of us have wondered how Agnes Brown does it. Keeping her end up while seven grown-up children tear about the fecking place like the eejits haven't got a home to go to. Packed with Mammy's tips for keeping a perfect family, or at least a family, as well as contributions from her children, neighbours and other hangers on, Mrs Brown's Family Handbook dispenses advice in her own inimical fecking style.

Review: Installment #837 in my Mrs Brown's Boys binge, and due to my love of books written by fictional characters as if they're real (Leslie Knope - Pawnee!) I decided to give this a go. Overall, everything I've read so far relating to MBB has been mediocre at best - a mishmash of small bits which make me crack up laughing which don't gel well with each other. This is no different, but it was still absolutely worth a read.

The first couple of sections, about tea and teatowels, absolutely had me in stitches. The sections on cleaning and family occasions not so much. That said, I put it down for a couple of days to start something else, and when I picked it back up, I found it much funnier; so perhaps it is one not best read all at once, but rather one to dip in and out to when you find yourself in need of a laugh.

Definitely a good representation of Irish humour, just not a great one.

Rating: ★★★✰✰ (I liked it)

#9 Birdman - Mo Hayder

Genre: Crime/Fiction
Synopsis: Greenwich, south-east London. The Met's crack murder squad, AMIP, is called out by nervous CID detectives to a grim discovery. Five bodies, all young women, all ritualistically murdered and dumped on wasteland near the Dome. As each post-mortem reveals a singular, horrific signature linking the victims, officers realize that they are on the trail of that most dangerous offender: a sexual serial killer. Detective Inspector Jack Caffery - young, driven, unshockable - finds himself facing both hostility within the force and echoes of his past in this, his first case with AMIP. Haunted by the memory of a death long ago, he employs every weapon forensic science can offer for he knows it is only a matter of time before this chaotic, sadistic killer strikes again.

Review:  I decided to give this novel a go as I wanted to try another Mo Hayder, having tried and hated Pig Island a few years back. Pig Island had not exactly been hailed as her best work, but I loved how dark it was (even if not much else could be said for it). So, I thought I'd try the Jack Caffery series - primarily to get to the second installment, The Treatment. But first - Birdman.

Birdman was a solid read. It's a fairly-plot driven story, and it is dark, and complex, and in-depth. I don't think I've ever actually read a crime/thriller novel with quite such creative horror and violence behind the events of the story - you'd have to wonder a little bit about the inside of Mo Hayder's head. This is exactly what I loved about it though - while I'll flinch from the tiniest bit of tv violence, I rarely find books that genuinely shock or disgust me. This one definitely did - I cringed and/or briefly looked away from the book on more than one occasion. It's a fairly chunky novel, clearly very well researched (well, if it's not, it certainly left me feeling it was - I know next to nothing about the hierarchies or structures of police forces) and at times I actually found it a bit dense, trying to keep up with everything. I'd be happy to blame that entirely on myself though, and not on the book.

The characters... I felt the characters left a little to be desired. I was fairly indifferent to almost all of the characters introduced except Essex, and even Caffery himself felt a tiny bit bland. I'm not sure entirely why, as his backstory is both excellent and excellently developed. I never really connected with him. However, it is only book one in the series, so hopefully I'll develop an attachment to him as I continue reading the series - which I have every intention of doing. I'm marking it down as 'I liked it' rather than 'I loved it' - while there was quite a bit about it that I loved, it is only the first in the series and I do feel there's potential for the series to go up two more notches.

Rating: ✰ (I liked it)

#10 An Astronaut's Guide To Life on Earth - Chris Hadfield

Genre: Non-Fiction/Science/Autobiographical
Synopsis: Colonel Chris Hadfield has spent decades training as an astronaut and has logged nearly 4000 hours in space. The secret to Col. Hadfield's success-and survival-is an unconventional philosophy he learned at NASA: prepare for the worst-and enjoy every moment of it. In An Astronaut's Guide to Life on Earth, Col. Hadfield takes readers deep into his years of training and space exploration to show how to make the impossible possible. Through eye-opening, entertaining stories filled with the adrenaline of launch, the mesmerizing wonder of spacewalks, and the measured, calm responses mandated by crises, he explains how conventional wisdom can get in the way of achievement-and happiness.

Review: I'm a little bit biased here, because I have a deep-set interest in space exploration and admiration for those who do it. I also adore Chris Hadfield in particular because he is one of the only people in the profession (formerly) who engages with the public on a hyper-accessible level, generating interest in and support for the space program.

Now that's out of the way, on to the book. There are two main facets to this book - one, as the title suggests, is a collection of perspectives and attitudes, to both work and everyday life, which Hadfield has developed and cultivated over the course of his varied career. He reinforces these with examples from the second facet - a relatively detailed insight into what is involved in becoming, and in performing the duties of, an astronaut. I loved both. If there is nothing at all else to be gained from this book, it perfectly illustrates how - no matter how fancy or important your work is - nobody is exempt from getting a bee inside their helmet at an extremely inopportune moment. Nobody is exempt from having to fix a toilet once in a while. Nobody is inherently more important or better than anyone else. And those are great things to know. Additionally, he is realistic about what it takes to be successful - believing you can do something is not enough, you need to figure out a logical, long-term plan of action and work hard to achieve every step. The easiest way to do that - love every step for what it is, not for what you hope it will ultimately lead to.

The second facet of this novel, as I said, is the insight into the career path and daily workload of someone hoping to become/who becomes an astronaut - the kind of little things you could only find out from someone who has done the job. Facts about the immensely complex support structure at NASA, the actual statistical likelihood of becoming an astronaut, and even when you are, of going to space. Of the kinds of tests and simulations and unlikely qualities and exertion required - physical and mental - in order to succeed at the job. Chris offers an abundance of details and interesting facts which will fascinate, and in some cases horrify, anyone who has ever dreamt of being an astronaut.

My only issue with the book is that it meandered quite a bit, meaning I often read through Chris's reasoning long before realising his point, as well as having several points and catchphrases repeated at irregular intervals. A better editor might have made this book a five star, but I loved it all the same.

Rating: ★★★★✰ (I loved it)

Wow it's been 12 days since I posted here, nearly two weeks! Whoops! I've had a lot going on though so I guess that's not too surprising.

I finished four and reviewed three books in that time, all posted above this post (pending review to follow). I'm currently working my way through another two books, hoping to finish one by Sunday for a total of 12 read in January.

On Sunday I went to see Chris Hadfield (retired astronaut) in Dublin, and bought a hardcopy of his book (reviewed above), which he signed and personalised. Signed my ticket too without me asking, bless him! Fantastic evening, inspirational talk, and lovely, funny man. Would highly recommend anyone going to hear him talk, even if you're not overly interested in space. Only downside to the evening was someone I didn't really want to see was there (with his girlfriend who I had never met), and they came over talking to my group of friends.

Nearly ready to put a 'finished' stamp on my compilation of Irish Counties Challenge authors. I now have 90 across the 32 counties, though I could add dozens more for Dublin.

Wow it's been 12 days since I posted here, nearly two weeks! Whoops! I've had a lot going on though so I guess that's not too surprising.

You were missed :) 

Are you going to do the challenge all this year or space it out?  I figure you could easy do 90 this year :P

You were missed :)

Are you going to do the challenge all this year or space it out?  I figure you could easy do 90 this year :P

Great you posted again, Noll :)! Have fun with the Irish Counties Challenge.

I like the sound of Chris Hadfield - An Astronaut's Guide To Life on Earth :).

Thanks ladies! I did just notice two silly typos in my Chris Hadfield review though, whoops! Need to stop power-writing these on my lunch breaks! :giggle:

Anna, the challenge itself only requires one author per county, so 32 authors/books out of the 90. I just wanted to give myself choice and really see how many I could actually find. I'd like to complete the 32 counties this year, and then next year go on perhaps to read more of the list. It can be difficult/pricey to obtain Irish literature even in Ireland as it's not very well known, and some of the books I want to get are a few decades old or out of print. That's all part of the fun, though!

Gaia, it's a great book. Like I said, not perfect, but he's got some attitudes you probably wouldn't expect from a really driven, successful man, and they're very interesting. :)

#11 I'm Travelling Alone - Samuel Bjork

Genre: Crime/Thriller/Scandinavian
Synopsis: A six year old girl is found hanging from a tree. Around her neck is an airline tag which says 'I'm travelling alone'. A special homicide unit in Oslo is re-opened with veteran police investigator Holger Munch at the helm. He must convince his erstwhile partner, Mia Kruger, an extremely talented but eccentric investigator, to leave the solitary island to which she has retreated in order to take her own life. When scrutinising the murder files, Mia spots the number One carved into the dead girl's fingernail. She returns to duty to prevent more little girls falling victim to a terrifying, revenge-driven serial killer...

Review: Having seen the rave reviews and high rating for this one on Goodreads, I was expecting a little bit more than I got. That's not to say it isn't a good read; it is, but I've definitely read better.

I'm Travelling Alone is a very original, very complex story with a lot of interrelated subplots skirting and supporting the main plot - the search for the killer of a six year old girl. While at first I didn't really like Mia and wasn't sure I would like the book overall, Bjork is a talented writer, ultimately evoking my interest in each of the many characters who turned up either for only a few pages, or for most of them. Although there was a lot going on, I didn't find myself getting lost at any stage, which is saying something because I get confused very easily! In fact, I found myself drawn to certain threads and, when the story flipped away from them temporarily, I couldn't wait to get back to them. I particularly loved Tobias and Torben, and the entire subplot of the Christian Girls they were involved in. 

Some of the characters were a bit underdeveloped, despite the sheer volume of time spent on others. I really liked Gabriel, though I felt we could have seen more of his life - he felt a bit like a filler character who was only necessary for a bit of hack ex machina.Ultimately, I didn't see the killer coming, but not in a good way - in a disjointed 'nobody could have figured this out' kind of way. I'm not entirely sure I like how the two biggest plots came together; it seemed somewhat tenuous. It felt a bit like there was more attention to the detail in each subplot or in each character, than it how it all ultimately hung together. I also felt that the very end was extremely abrupt, leaving a lot of issues unresolved. As a result, I closed the book feeling a little indifferent, which is a shame, because there really is a lot about it to like.

Worth a read, but I think maybe it took too much on in one novel.

Rating: ★★★✰✰ (I liked it)

Anna, the challenge itself only requires one author per county, so 32 authors/books out of the 90. I just wanted to give myself choice and really see how many I could actually find. I'd like to complete the 32 counties this year, and then next year go on perhaps to read more of the list. It can be difficult/pricey to obtain Irish literature even in Ireland as it's not very well known, and some of the books I want to get are a few decades old or out of print. That's all part of the fun, though!

That makes sense- I buy as I read and it gets pricey when I think how many books I read in a year.  I think its really neat you try and read more Irish authors.  I think I am going to try the US States Challenge, I'm just not sure how I want to do it yet!

I'm Traveling Alone sounds scary :hide:

The Invisible Library - Genevieve Cogman - Not a bad read, some good ideas, but not quite a 'hit'.

Yep, you nailed it !  :yes:

It`s a book I wanted to like more than I did ; I`ll probably give Book 2 a go if it turns up cheaply, in the hope that the niggles have been ironed out. :)

I'm so late catching up with everyone's Blogs this year! I do hope you enjoy The Pursuit of Love when you get round to it. I'm always nervous when someone adds a book on my recommendation! :lurker:

I'd also like to add to the love for The Crimson Petal and the White. Yes, it's long - but it's such a great read it doesn't feel long.

I'm planning to read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes soon. I've not read any before.

Happy reading this year, Noll. :)

That makes sense- I buy as I read and it gets pricey when I think how many books I read in a year.  I think its really neat you try and read more Irish authors.  I think I am going to try the US States Challenge, I'm just not sure how I want to do it yet!

I'm Traveling Alone sounds scary :hide:

I had a quick look at the US States Challenge but I don't think I would want to read a lot of what's on the version I've seen on here. I might research my own version maybe!

I didn't find I'm Travelling Alone scary at all, but I generally don't find books scary.

Happy Reading in 2016 !  :D

I have Middlesex in my TBR too - I`ve previously liked The Marriage Plot and The Virgin Suicides.  :smile: 

I've had Middlesex on my TBR for YEARS. I must have bought it four or five years ago, and just never gotten around to it!

Yep, you nailed it !  :yes:

It`s a book I wanted to like more than I did ; I`ll probably give Book 2 a go if it turns up cheaply, in the hope that the niggles have been ironed out. :)

Hmm, that's putting me off a little I must admit!

I'm so late catching up with everyone's Blogs this year! I do hope you enjoy The Pursuit of Love when you get round to it. I'm always nervous when someone adds a book on my recommendation! :lurker:

I'd also like to add to the love for The Crimson Petal and the White. Yes, it's long - but it's such a great read it doesn't feel long.

I'm planning to read The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes soon. I've not read any before.

Happy reading this year, Noll. :)

Thanks Janet :D I think I quite often like the recommendations I take from you, and even if I don't, it doesn't matter! I loved The Toymaker and Longbourn :D I'll be looking forward to your thoughts on Sherlock!

#6 Our Endless Numbered Days - Claire Fuller

The final quarter (maybe third) of the book turns a lot of things on their head. The ending seems to polarise people - half seem to see it coming a mile off and feel let down, others are utterly bewildered at the very end. I was somewhere in the middle - at a particular point about 50 pages from the end I copped it, and I copped it all at once. Every slightly odd occurrence or minor detail I noted as particularly interesting throughout the book all snapped into place to form the most obvious, but perfect, ending, and my appreciation of Fuller's skill skyrocketed. This novel is most deserving of my first 5 star rating of the year.

Rating: ★★★★★ It was amazing.

I've just finished this, and I thought I remembered you'd read it. In general, yes, I think it's really good for a debut book.. it did get a little slow for me, but that's a personal thing.

Proper spoilers, don't read if you want to read the book...

I started to wonder whether Reuben was real, I think just after 'he' killed her father.. and it became obvious when he got out of the river, and just left. The part I wasn't so keen on was the pregnancy.. there were dark hints about her father having sex with her, but it was written in a way that you could draw your own conclusions. Having her pregnant at the end obviously took away all doubt, which I wasn't keen on, and to me it didn't feel needed.

Thanks Janet :D I think I quite often like the recommendations I take from you, and even if I don't, it doesn't matter! I loved The Toymaker and Longbourn :D

Phew - here's hoping you like it then.  :)

Can you help me out?  Can you help me with the correct phonetic pronunciation of Dún Laoghaire, please? :)  I'm embarrassed to say I'm saying 'Dun Log-air' in my head, but something is telling me it might be said as 'Dun Leesh' (that's probably wrong - or a different place entirely!).  :blush:

Can you help me out?  Can you help me with the correct phonetic pronunciation of Dún Laoghaire, please? :)  I'm embarrassed to say I'm saying 'Dun Log-air' in my head, but something is telling me it might be said as 'Dun Leesh' (that's probably wrong - or a different place entirely!).  :blush:

Interesting - I've always said Dun Leery

Phew - here's hoping you like it then.  :)

Interesting - I've always said Dun Leery

Dont listen to it! It's Dun Leery, like Willoyd said!

I've just finished this, and I thought I remembered you'd read it. In general, yes, I think it's really good for a debut book.. it did get a little slow for me, but that's a personal thing.

Proper spoilers, don't read if you want to read the book...

I started to wonder whether Reuben was real, I think just after 'he' killed her father.. and it became obvious when he got out of the river, and just left. The part I wasn't so keen on was the pregnancy.. there were dark hints about her father having sex with her, but it was written in a way that you could draw your own conclusions. Having her pregnant at the end obviously took away all doubt, which I wasn't keen on, and to me it didn't feel needed.

I suppose it wasn't needed, but I didn't feel it detracted from the book. I too realised it when he disappeared at the river, before that I didn't cop it, but at that point everything before it sort of snapped into place and made a lot of sense. I think I realised at the perfect time - I didn't guess too early and I knew long enough before the end to be able to appreciate her confusion etc.

Synopsis: A six year old girl is found hanging from a tree. Around her neck is an airline tag which says 'I'm travelling alone'. A special homicide unit in Oslo is re-opened with veteran police investigator Holger Munch at the helm. He must convince his erstwhile partner, Mia Kruger, an extremely talented but eccentric investigator, to leave the solitary island to which she has retreated in order to take her own life. When scrutinising the murder files, Mia spots the number One carved into the dead girl's fingernail. She returns to duty to prevent more little girls falling victim to a terrifying, revenge-driven serial killer...

Review: Having seen the rave reviews and high rating for this one on Goodreads, I was expecting a little bit more than I got. That's not to say it isn't a good read; it is, but I've definitely read better.

I'm Travelling Alone is a very original, very complex story with a lot of interrelated subplots skirting and supporting the main plot - the search for the killer of a six year old girl. While at first I didn't really like Mia and wasn't sure I would like the book overall, Bjork is a talented writer, ultimately evoking my interest in each of the many characters who turned up either for only a few pages, or for most of them. Although there was a lot going on, I didn't find myself getting lost at any stage, which is saying something because I get confused very easily! In fact, I found myself drawn to certain threads and, when the story flipped away from them temporarily, I couldn't wait to get back to them. I particularly loved Tobias and Torben, and the entire subplot of the Christian Girls they were involved in. 

Some of the characters were a bit underdeveloped, despite the sheer volume of time spent on others. I really liked Gabriel, though I felt we could have seen more of his life - he felt a bit like a filler character who was only necessary for a bit of hack ex machina.Ultimately, I didn't see the killer coming, but not in a good way - in a disjointed 'nobody could have figured this out' kind of way. I'm not entirely sure I like how the two biggest plots came together; it seemed somewhat tenuous. It felt a bit like there was more attention to the detail in each subplot or in each character, than it how it all ultimately hung together. I also felt that the very end was extremely abrupt, leaving a lot of issues unresolved. As a result, I closed the book feeling a little indifferent, which is a shame, because there really is a lot about it to like.

I know this is an old-ish post, but I just wanted to say you give excellent reviews, Nollaig. I quite enjoy reading them  :smile:

I know this is an old-ish post, but I just wanted to say you give excellent reviews, Nollaig. I quite enjoy reading them  :smile:

Awww thank you so much! it's not *that* old, everything written in this thread is from the last 37 days, which to me isn't that old :P I really appreciate that :D