Willoyd's Reading 2016

willoyd

I loved the Lewis Trilogy, I suppose it could be a bit depressing though! I actually thought it was slightly different to the usual formulaic crime stuff ie murder is committed and is investigated, as so much of it is linked to the detective's past, but the other 2 books follow the same idea, so you probably won't like those, and are wise not to bother with them.  I did love the descriptions of the island though, it was almost a character in it's own right.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some more mini-reviews

Another half dozen to bring me almost up to date.

The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame *****
As Alan Bennet says in his introduction, TWITW is one of those books that everybody thinks they've read, even when they haven't, it's so much part of the fabric of childhood and reading (at least for someone of my age!). In fact, I have read it, but it's almost forty years ago, and I really only came back to it because it's part of the English Counties challenge - not because I disliked it, far from it, but simply because of that familiarity; I've never felt the need to read it again. I also approached it with some trepidation - would it live up to my childhood memories, as so many haven't?

I needn't have worried. It was pretty much exactly as expected, treading a fine line between childish and adult reading with considerable skill. In some ways it's very dated, but it wears its age well, as long as one accepts some of the mores of the time, and quirks of the author. In particular I was struck at what a male book it is, with the only female roles coming through the cameo appearances of the washerwoman and the gaoler's daughter. No matter: Ratty, Moley, Badger and Toad come thoroughly to life and gallop through an England that had probably largely disappeared before I was born, but still resonates of the countryside as still occupies our imagination. I couldn't help but love it.

Seven Brief Lessons in Physics by Carlo Rovelli ****
Ultra-slim (less than a hundred pages) introduction to some key concepts in physics. I think I understand some of them much more clearly now (I think!), especially Einstein's Theory of General Relativity, although I did find the last chapter, more philosophical in nature, sat rather uncomfortably alongside the others. Quantum Theory still seems as mad as ever though! A book I'll probably go back to.

Diaries, In Power 1983-1991 by Alan Clark ***
All the reviewers of political diaries say that this is one of the best, in particular giving one of the most vivid accounts of Margaret Thatcher's last days. Well, it might, but it took a long time getting there! In some respects, this was quite captivating - Clark doesn't pull punches, his words and views bouncing off the page at you, and there is a genuineness to these that all too many other memoirs distinctly lack, but it all felt rather a long time ago now, and to be honest, Clark was just that little bit too distant from the main affairs to really grab me.

The Stars Look Down by AJ Cronin *
A saga, a long saga. For me, this dragged unutterably, and I really only finished it because it was part of the English Counties challenge. Some individual scenes and incidents came alive, but on the whole this just felt completely predictable, set on tracks and never really going to deviate, not helped in that we got 'told' everything, and shown pretty much nothing. In the end, I suppose it did deviate, as the ending wasn't quite what I expected. Unfortunately, it felt profoundly unsatisfying, putting a seal on a book that made me realise how much my reading must have changed over the years, as I remember enjoying a couple of Cronin novels in my teens/early twenties. Having said all that, unlike many one-star novels, I can see why people would enjoy it - and anybody reading this should note that I am definitely in a minority when it comes to what we think of it!

The Tightrope Walkers by David Almond ***
Similarly set in the North-East, this time centred on the ship-building rather than coal-mining industry, this is the story of a small group of people growing up, as told by one of them. Whilst it was still a book that I didn't warm to, it was well written, vivid in its telling. In some respects the ending was similar too - but this time it struck me as so much more satisfying. I did struggle with the dialogue written to try and reflect the local accent/dialect - I can always see why this is done, but I rarely like it.

The Death of King Arthur Simon Armitage ****
I don't know how accurate Simon Armitage's translation is, but he either retained (the more probable), or imbued this with, a life and power that made this a rattling good read. He certainly managed to sustain the interesting use of alliteration, which helped give the poem it's attractively strong rhythm and distinct texture - it almost insisted on being read aloud. I did find the story itself became a bit of a succession of bloody scenes at times - one fight after another - leaving the opening scenes and last pages to stand out as the strongest sections. Overall, not quite at the same level as Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, but still a resoundingly strong read.

Edited by willoyd

• 3 weeks later...

Reading Update

The rate of reading, and the amount of time I can spend here, has reduced fairly dramatically as it's September, and September means the start of the academic year. I look forward to the (hopefully not too distant) day I can dump it all - this past year has definitely convinced me that my time as a classroom teacher is coming to an end, and if it hadn't, this past couple of weeks definitely has, as long as I can afford it!

Full or mini-reviews to follow later, but three books read finished since the last update:

Jesse Burton's The Muse: loved this, one of the best new books I've read this year; great twist near the end.  5 stars.
Pat Barker's Another World: read as part of the English Counties Challenge. Well written, but I got to the end and couldn't really see the point. 3 stars.
Jane Austen's Mansfield Park: another English Counties book, this one a reread.  For the first week or so, I was reading at the rate of 20 or so pages a day if I was lucky, and found it a bit of a struggle, which surprised me as I remember it more fondly than that. However, as soon as I settled down to read it properly this weekend, it flowed so much better, even if I think the last dozen or so pages is a bit of an authorial wrap-up rather than a properly written ending. Still not amongst my favourites, probably ranking just above Northanger Abbey and below the rest, but definitely one that improves. Whilst Fanny, not the most highly regarded of Austen heroines, did grow on me somewhat, I still retain a sneaking, indeed quite strong, regard for Mary Crawford! 5 stars.

Edited by willoyd

Another Reading Update

Continuing with the updates....

Finished Ella Minnow Pea this week, a quick read that took barely a day. Loved the concept, whilst watching the author deal with the technical challenge was really interesting.  4/6, so a good rating.

Otherwise, have been trying to settle to Lorna Doone, the Somerset book for the English Counties, which is still attempting to take off after a hundred pages or so. Have additionally been distracted by Stephen Greenblatt's The Swerve, part of the Popsugar year long challenge that I've almost finished, without even mentioning that little thing called work (have the most difficult class I've ever taught this year, and they are horribly time consuming), so probably a wee bit unfair to effectively criticise.

Also bought a few books on special offer etc today:
Sixty Degrees North
The Great British Dream Factory
Sapiens
The Bible for Grown-Ups

The Ilkley Literature Festival starts at the end of the week coming too. Am scheduled to see quite a lot at weekends, including quite a lot on the science thread, but only Tracey Chevalier during the weeks, on the 4th. Looking forward to it all.  Will inevitably lead to a bit of a drain on the resources, but will try and restrain myself this year!

Edited by willoyd

Finished Ella Minnow Pea this week, a quick read that took barely a day. Loved the concept, whilst watching the author deal with the technical challenge was really interesting.  4/6, so a good rating.

It's a clever book, isn't it. :)

I'm not really looking forward to Lorna Doone and the fact you're not getting into it worries me!  I hope it picks up for you. 

Mary Crawford!!!?! No, surely not .. the conniving minx :D Ha .. she was a spirited one though wasn't she? Poor Fanny looks very insipid next to her. I'm not sure we value the same things now .. no, we definitely don't, so Fanny being so pious etc doesn't really engage us. Yes she's loyal and gentle and kind etc but she's also a bit of a prig. But that is just me looking back at her .. it was different then. She's my least favourite Austen heroine though and it's my least favourite Austen book.

I loved Ella Minnow Pea .. very clever and entertaining :)  

Is Sapiens by Yuval Noah Harari? I have it on my Amazon wishlist, as it sounds pretty interesting.

Yes, that's the one. I picked it up to browse as it's in the buy-one-get-one-half-price deal at Waterstones, and it's somewhat different take on human history immediately appealed: we'll see!

I had never heard of Ella Minnow Pea before. Sounds interesting :)

It's barely 200 pages, not all of them complete so isn't a massive investment, but I think/hope you would find it a rewarding one! Definitely recommend trying it.

Mary Crawford!!!?! No, surely not .. the conniving minx :D Ha .. she was a spirited one though wasn't she?

Exactly!!

But in Fanny's defence, she almost has to be the way she is, simply to cope with her circumstances. She couldn't afford (literally) to be similarly spirited. And she certainly develops an eye/ear for what's right and wrong (at least by the mores of the time). She'd certainly be a good friend.

Edited by willoyd

Mini-reviews

Some books read in September

The Muse by Jessie Burton *****
A twin-stranded story, set in 1960s London and the Spanish Civil War, centred on the mystery of the 'authorship' of a painting painted during the latter period. I've not read The Miniaturist yet, so this was my first experience of Jessie Burton's work, and I loved it. It's not without fault, not least the way the 1960s strand central character's voice was written in a Caribbean accent when she spoke, but a standard English voice when she thought, but she and others otherwise still kept me interested. The story itself was thoroughly intriguing, with a twist at the end which, whilst partially guessed, still managed to catch me out.

Another World by Pat Barker ***
Pat Barker's writing is consistently excellent, but I have to admit that her narratives tend to disappoint. Sacrilege I know when considering that includes her Regeneration trilogy, but it was really only the first of these that grabbed me. Another World continued that pattern. It didn't help that the actual plotline simply didn't reflect the blurb, which I found thoroughly misleading. Instead, the story centres primarily on the tribulations of a family's relationships, with both partners bringing families with previous partners to that relationship. Even then, to be honest, it all felt a bit pointless, and I reached the end of the book feeling that it had been a pleasant enough, but rather directionless, read.

Mansfield Park by Jane Austen *****
Not my favourite Austen (that remains Sense and Sensibility); indeed it's amongst my least (only Northanger Abbey ranks lower), but Austen's weakest writing is still better than almost all others. It took me a while to get into the novel, but that really stemmed from only being able to read in small bursts.  Once I could settle down, I became far more deeply immersed. This was my first reread (most other Austens are on their third or fourth), but I came away having enjoyed it rather more than first time round: in particular, Fanny Price came across as far more interesting, and rather less insipid, than previously, even if I found my regard for Mary Crawford growing too! In all, I felt the book showed a greater sophistication and subtlety than I appreciated first time round.  It does, however, lack the wit of some of her earlier novels, taking itself rather more seriously.  It seems to me that Jane Austen's novels sense of fun declines somewhat as she gets older; I do wonder how her writing would have developed if she had lived longer. 

A Short History of the Vietnam War by Gordon Kerr ***
Pretty much does what it says on the tin: a usefully succinct and illuminating overview of a conflict that dominated news reports throughout my childhood. Not much else to say really, other than it was interesting enough and short enough to read in a couple of sittings. [

Edited by willoyd

Reading Update

Completed a couple of books this weekend.  Firstly, finished off Robert Goddard's Set in Stone on Saturday morning.  A solid enough mystery/thriller, that I would have probably enjoyed more without an unnecessary supernatural element.  It also had an ending that left me slightly bemused - hopefully somebody on the English Counties board might be able to help out - but I've read worse.

Also read Through the Looking Glassshort enough to complete in a single sitting on Sunday evening.  Liked the chess element that one could follow (I played along as I read it).  One of those books where you recognise all the elements, but have never actually strung them altogether. Overdue for reading!

Also attended three sessions at the Ilkley Literature Festival.  First off was Emma Wells on Pilgrim Routes.  Somewhat disappointed with this one: the book comes across as a somewhat superficial guide to seven routes, most of which aren't actually pilgrim routes but simply walking routes with a religous theme developed for the tourist industry by local authorities etc (with a couple of honourable exceptions).  Not even much of a discussion on any possible change in the nature of 'pilgrimages' that these might have marked.  As there was another talk that I would have gone to, was doubly disappointed.

In contrast Peter Wilson discussing his monumental book The Holy Roman Empire was engrossing.  We spent several weeks this summer cycling across the northern reaches of the old HRE, so this was doubly appealing.  Several myths were succinctly and effectively dismissed, and he provided sufficient of an overview to really make me want to go out and tackle what looks to be a formidable brick of a book but it is on a topic that increasingly intrigues.

Finally, we (OH and I) were thoroughly entertained by a fistful of varied names (including Margaret Drabble, Barry Cryer and Kenneth Tynan) reading extracts from works by JB Priestley to mark the publication of the Notting Hill Editions collection of essays of his, Grumbling at Large.  On trawling through Amazon afterwards, I was surprised to discover a real paucity of Priestley essays available in print, even on the second hand market.  He isn't very fashionable outside Yorkshire (and not that much inside it either it appears), but everything I've read or seen of his I've distinctly enjoyed. Shades of a rather more old-fashioned and (deliberately) curmudgeonly Alan Bennet.

Next up, we're off to see Tracey Chevalier on Tuesday, our only midweek fixture given the pressures of work, although I might try and add a couple of events next week if observations, consultations or assessments don't get in the way.

Edited by willoyd

Completed the Popsugar Reading Challenge tonight, with The Midwich Cuckoos fulfilling the science fiction novel category.  Good one to finish on.

Little Pixie - we're (OH and I) off to see When We Are Married later on this autumn.  Everything says to me that Priestley is distinctly underrated nowadays.  I'm looking forward to getting my head into his essays.

Edited by willoyd

Little Pixie - we're (OH and I) off to see When We Are Married later on this autumn.  Everything says to me that Priestley is distinctly underrated nowadays.  I'm looking forward to getting my head into his essays.

Ooh, enjoy the play.  :smile:

I hope someone rediscovers the Time Plays for TV or film ; those are brilliant. :)

Reading Update

After a fairly busy start to the week reading-wise, it quietened down in the second half. As noted before, completed my third book of the month in three days on Monday, with The Midwich Cuckoos, the last book in the Popsugar Year-long challenge; a good read if not quite as enjoyable as The Day of the Triffids. After that, have struggled to settle, but have now started Anne de Courcy's The Fishing Fleet, wich certainly seems to suit my mood.

Birthday this week has resulted in a fair number of books as presents. Top of the list has to go The Birds of Spurn, an amazing 704 page book on the huge range of species spotted at Spurn Head (the highest total of any mainland site in the UK), a monumental labour of love by the author, Andy Roanhead, who has since died from an illness he coped with throughout the making of his book. A spectacular and fascinating volume.

Other books acquired at birthday time:
The Waiting Time - Gerald Seymour
Golden Hill - Frances Spufford
Olive Kitteridge - Elizabeth Strout
English Voices - Ferdinand Mount
Christmas and the British - Martin Johnes
Rosalind Franklin - Brenda Maddox

Also off to the second weekend of the Ilkley Literature Festival this weekend - a quiet one with just two sessions booked. Lined up is a talk on lesser known Victorian women writers by Laurie Garrison, and Restless Creatures by Matt Wilkinson.

Edited by willoyd

Happy (belated) birthday :)!! I hope you enjoy all of your birthday gifts (incl. books) and that you have fun at the Literature Festival :).

Oooh yes, belated happy birthday! :)

Thank you both!  Had a brilliant couple of days, Friday night especially, when went out for a superb meal at Hansa's in Leeds with offspring and OH.  Bit of a landmark in the parental stakes, as this was the first meal that offspring paid for, which was lovely. 

Went to a talk on Victorian women writers yesterday at the festival.  TBH it was really disappointing. For someone who has a PhD in the subject, she seemed to lack any real knowledge of the subject outside a couple of writers (one of whom, Harriet Martineau, she confessed to never having been able to finish!!!).  Fortunately there were a few people in the audience who seemed much more up to speed, and I had a very productive conversation with them afterwards, so have a few names to explore now (which was the object of my mission!).  OH went to a much better talk by Sarah Baxter on The History of the World in 500 Walks. She (OH) said it was quite inspirational.  Murphy's rule: there were 3 talks that coincided that I was interested in, and it looks as if I chose the worst.  Ah well - Matt Wilkinson on Restless Creatures this afternoon, so onwards and hopefully upwards!

BTW, have put Lorna Doone on hold at present - think it needs some proper reading space and haven't got the time at present to give it that, so am reading Anne de Courcy's The Fishing Fleet which is proving a distinctly rewarding read.

Later Edit:  Matt Wilkinson was brilliant - and I bought the book instantly!

Edited by willoyd

I'm glad you had a good time for your birthday :).

Shame about the talk on Victorian writers, especially since there were other talks you would've liked to have attended too. I'm glad the Matt Wilkinson talk (was it a talk?) was better. I hope you enjoy the book!