Book processing / book hangover - Do you ever need to process a book before starting another one?

Athena

Whenever I finish an impressive book or a book I really liked, I always need some time afterwards to process it. In this time I usually don't feel comfortable starting a new book just yet. I need some time to myself to think about the story, for example whilst taking a walk or doing household chores or taking a shower etc. It doesn't have to include 'doing something else at the same time', sometimes I stare into nothingness. This processing time is longer if a book had a lot of good plot twists.

On occasion, if it's a big epic book with great twists, I also need some time to process the twist before I can continue reading in the book. Anyway, I've heard it being called 'book hangover' if you've finished a particularly great book and then don't want to start a new book yet. Now, I've never had a 'drink hangover' so I couldn't say for sure if the description fits.

But I was wondering if it's just me here on this forum, who sometimes needs to take time to process a book before moving on to the next one? On occasion, when I've read a great book, I also find that "the next book can't possibly top this" which is sometimes true and also sometimes untrue. On occasion it influences which book I pick next, sometimes I read a bunch of books by my favourite authors because I don't want this "excellent book" streak to end.

This 'book hangover' or 'book processing time' or whatever it should be called, it sometimes annoys me and that is one of the reasons why I am reading shorter books and more children's books nowadays. They cost less processing power for my brain and I can then read more in the same time span (such as during the read-a-thon), instead of staring into space thinking about 'how awesome was it that character X did action Y on object Z and saved the world'.

Anyway, is it just me? Or do you also have particular things you do after finishing a book? Can you start the next read straight away after finishing the previous book?

I agree, I need book processing time, all the more so after a 'great' book.  Unlike you, I don't find it annoying at all though, rather the opposite.  I want to read books that make me think rather than simply reading through one after the other.  Having said that, I wouldn't want it for every book, as sometimes I do want a book for sheer of the moment pleasure, and it would be too intense if every book was a demanding read.  To that end, I'll often choose a more straightforward one after tackling a 'great'.  It's very rare for me to read the same author back to back.

I've found that shorter books can demand just as much processing time as longer ones - again it depends on the quality.   I've also found that since becoming a primary teacher, I have read fewer and fewer children's books, as I now want something more adult as a break from the unremitting child-centredness at the cost of all else at work (not healthy for the children - but that's another story!). 

Yes, there are some books I've read recently that I've had to do this. I think I'd agree that "Book Hangover" isn't quite the right phrase - it makes it sound like it's a bad thing, and I don't think it is. Still, in the absence of a better phrase, I'll go with it!   Generally, it's going to be the books with a message or sub-text that would make me do this, but somethimes just a book with some seriously convoluted twists or a series that kills off  or major character  (yes, I'm looking at you George RR Martin).  "Life of Pi" is one that comes immediately to mind, but also "The Kite Runner" and "Room".

I'd say I sometimes do the same for films too.

Usually after reading a book that's blown my mind, I don't take take a break from reading or anything.  Instead, I read a "palate cleanser", an easy, sometimes short, book of an entirely different style to gear me up for the next great book on my list.  Like Athena said, sometimes that cleanser might be a children's book or it might be a cozy mystery or romantic book.

Not generally, although like Ian I needed a bit of time after some of GRRM's books (I'm looking at you, A Storm of Swords!) but if I have read something heavy I'll usually follow it up with something completely different, maybe a cosy crime novel or similar easy read.

You're not alone, Athena!  With books that I know I absolutely loved, I'll mull over things and stew on parallels between the book and real life, or I'll just want to hang out in my general "OMG I loved that book" mood :lol:.

I also usually cleanse my palate with a lighter book afterwards, like others have mentioned.

I feel like this occasionally. Reading a book that is really good can sometimes be so emotionally exhausting. I think it is a mark of great writing! I can actually remember the first time I ever felt like that from a book. Oddly enough I can't remember what the name of the book was, I was in sixth grade and it was years ago, but it was a children's/YA book about a girl who travels back in time 10,000 years. At the end I was in shock. I had this empty feeling in my chest like I'd lost something. I couldn't take my mind off it. It took me a couple days to process  :D I remember I had another book to read for school but I just couldn't bring myself to do it right away.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, same here, need the processing, but that doesn't stop me to start a new book meanwhile. While doing the dishes or before going to sleep or while doing my groceries or riding my bike, I process the book I still need to think about. A few years ago I started a reading journal. In it, I keep a note of everything I read, if a book is special and why, favourite lines from the book, sometimes how I found it too. While writing about it, if needed I analyse it, think about it more and that helps.