Discovering Graphic Novels

Michelle

Quick update - Descender is quite good, it has a cute AI boy, but also some darker bits as well. I'm not in too much of a rush for the next one, and would be very happy if the library gets it in. I've also finished the first Revival.. again, rather good, but I'm happy to take my time with it. I have the second coming from eBay, and then I'll probably wait a while before moving on.

The one I love so far is definitely The Sandman - it is extremely dark and weird, and I'm loving it. :)

I've bought Joe Sacco's Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia 1992- 1995 and Guy Delisle's Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea. 

A little different from what you all are reading, but I can't wait!  I haven't had a paper book in ages.

Let me know what you think of it. :)

Will do!

I've bought Joe Sacco's Safe Area Gorazde: The War in Eastern Bosnia 1992- 1995 and Guy Delisle's Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea. 

A little different from what you all are reading, but I can't wait!  I haven't had a paper book in ages.

I look forward to hearing what you think of Pyongyang. I have a bit of a fascination with North Korea!

I've been very much focused on these at the moment, and I finished Outcast yesterday. Despite the artwork being gorgeous, the actual storyline is disappointing. With graphic novels, you only get a small amount of space to tell your story, and yet Kirkman seems to like stretching it out. It wasn't as noticeable in The Walking Dead Compendiums, because they're so big, but when you've paid for the smaller collections, you don't want to be done in 5 minutes. I think it could be an interesting series, but I'm not in much of a hurry, and I'm glad it was one of the cheaper collections.

I've started Wytches by Jock - which is going to be rather dark and scary I think. I wasn't in the mood for something like that, so will come back to it. 

I then discovered that The Stand is in graphic form, so that's been ordered! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0785135219?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

I then discovered that The Stand is in graphic form, so that's been ordered! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0785135219?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01

I've got volume 2 of that, but I'm planning on reading The Stand the book first before reading the graphic novel(s). I hope you enjoy it :).

I look forward to hearing what you think of Pyongyang. I have a bit of a fascination with North Korea!

Me too!  It's the one I will probably read first.  Have you read Nothing to Envy?  (not a graphic novel, off topic :blush2: )

No, not yet. It's on my wishlist. :) Have you read it? I've only really read Blaine Harden's Escape from Camp 14.

Mmmm- yes, its very good.  Well worth the read if you are interested in N. Korea.

• 3 weeks later...