Discovering Graphic Novels

Michelle

I have just finished reading all three compendiums of The Walking Dead. I'm dying (haha) to know what happens next, but I can't afford to buy them separately, so I'll have to wait. Whilst I'm not overkeen on the artwork in it, I've really enjoyed it as a form of storytelling, and I'm now interested in exploring some more.

I've just had a very small bonus at work, and I decided to treat myself to some to try. I've had my eye on Sandman by Neil Gaiman, so I've ordered the first two volumes. I decided on two volumes, as many of the reviews said that the first was needed, but isn't the best, so you need the second to really appreciate the series. If I like those two, I will probably treat myself to a new volume every payday! ;)

In addition, I saw Descender mentioned in blog post, and decided to give the first one a try. I then saw Outcast in amazon, which is written by Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead). So, I now have SF and Horror to try out. I'm really interested to see how the different art work compares, and how the different stories are told.

(Edit: I've just remembered that I also ordered The Eye of the World the other day.. oops! Oh well.. that lot should keep me busy for a while! ;))

So, that's me.. has anyone recently discovered Graphic Novels, or have any recommendations? (I know there's an old thread on this, but I'm keen to see people's views now, as I think Graphic Novels have become more popular.)

Edited by Michelle
added one!

I only read two graphic novels written by Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons and Brian Bolland each illustrated one of the books. They were Watchmen and Batman: The Killing Joke, both about superheroes. I liked the first, it had nice characters and certain events in the plot were well thought. The second one has a nicely delivered final joke.

Yes!  I've also recently discovered graphic novels.

I'd particularly recommend the Locke & Key series, by Joe Hill (who is Stephen King's son).  It's magnificent.  The sixth and final volume in particular is extremely moving.

Also Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann, which is deliciously dark and thought provoking.

I also enjoy Craig Thompson's work.  Blankets and Good-Bye, Chunky Rice are two of my favourites by him.  They are sweet and nostalgic.

I've read a few of the Marvel graphic novels this year - some of the Guardians of the Galaxy novels and a couple of odd ones.  If you are interested in the Marvel universe films, there are some good ones out there with some interesting twists (Thor being recast as a woman, for example, where Thor becomes more of a title than a person).

There are also some Doctor Who graphic novels, I have two and am half way through one of them, quite good so far!

Image are putting out some amazing graphic novels at the moment but it is very expensive keeping up with them! My favourites in general are:

Saga

Y: The Last Man

Preacher

Outcast

Alex and Ada

Peter Panzerfaust

Locke and Key

Rat Queens

Anything by Craig Thompson

Pretty much anything my Mark Millar.

Ones I really want to check out:

The Walking Dead

Invinsible

Ex Machina

Revival

Daytripper

Birthright

Autumnlands

Low

Descender

Fight Club 2

have a look at the B&N SF/F blog, it's American but they do have some great recommendations and tonnes of different articles for all types of GN readers.

I shall take a look at all of those later. :) I think this is something I could really get into, but they are so expensive. i can understand why, because of the work which goes into them, but I still have to be careful!

I started The Sandman last night, and loved it - I know that the series has a mixture of different stories, but the first was just the sort of thing I like, and the artwork is great. I think there are about 12 -13 all together, so if I do continue to enjoy them, I may have to restrict myself to one each payday or something!

For some, I think I will have to see what my local library can do, but I do think that I'd like to collect and keep The Sandman ones. (I'm gonna need more book shelves! lol)

Image are putting out some amazing graphic novels at the moment but it is very expensive keeping up with them! My favourites in general are:

Saga

Y: The Last Man

Preacher

Outcast

Alex and Ada

Peter Panzerfaust

Locke and Key

Rat Queens

Anything by Craig Thompson

Pretty much anything my Mark Millar.

Ones I really want to check out:

The Walking Dead

Invinsible

Ex Machina

Revival

Daytripper

Birthright

Autumnlands

Low

Descender

Fight Club 2

have a look at the B&N SF/F blog, it's American but they do have some great recommendations and tonnes of different articles for all types of GN readers.

I've added Y:The Last Man and Locke and Key to my wishlist, alongside Revival and Birthright!

I've read and loved Watchmen, have The Complete Maus on my TBR pile and I'd really like to read V for Vendetta and Sandman. You're right, Michelle, they're so expensive! I appreciate the work that goes into them, but I simply can't afford to buy them. :(

I've recently started reading The Walking Dead, which is going well.

Oh, and I've also read Jimmy Corrigan, the Greatest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware. I posted a review here.

I would have to agree on the expensiveness of graphic novels. I would read more of them if they were cheaper. I do prefer 'text'books overall, but I like reading a graphic novel now and then. I'll be sure to put some of these recommendations on my list.

Yes!  I've also recently discovered graphic novels.

I'd particularly recommend the Locke & Key series, by Joe Hill (who is Stephen King's son).  It's magnificent.  The sixth and final volume in particular is extremely moving.

Also Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann, which is deliciously dark and thought provoking.

I also enjoy Craig Thompson's work.  Blankets and Good-Bye, Chunky Rice are two of my favourites by him.  They are sweet and nostalgic.

Two recommendations for Locke and Key - excellent! Beautiful Darkness looks interesting too. 

So this is my collection so far..

graphicnovels.jpg

So far, I love what I've read of The Sandman.. it's very dark and weird, just the sort of thing I like. It's one I can take my time with, and I think I may, as I've said before, get one each payday. As far as I can make out, there are 10 main paperback volumes, a prequel, and a separate one called Endless Nights. I have the first, with the second on order, plus I've found Endless Nights on eBay. I will probably start treating myself to the rest from Jan or Feb payday, and keep going throughout the year. The library is tempting, but it does feel like something I'd like to keep.

I read the first few pages of Descender last night, and it also looks good. It's a SF one, and seems lighter. There's only one volume out at the moment, which is good for my bank balance! 

Today I received my first volume of Revival,and I just love what I've read so far! There are five volumes so far, with the next due in Jan. They seem to release every six months or so, so it will be a long wait if I get into it, but also good for my bank balance! I can't decide if I'd like to keep them, or whether I can try the library. 

It has really grabbed me.. but yes, I could have chosen something a bit less expensive! I couldn't find much on my library's website, apart from Beautiful darkness, which is now reserved for when it's available, but I've emailed them to see what they have, and if they can get anything in.