Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know if anyone will be joining me, but the next read-a-thon is this upcoming Friday, Saturday and Sunday (the 4th, 5th and 6th).

I will post a list of what I'll read, later. I have the stomach flu, so for now I need to go and rest.

I might be busy some of Staurday, but I'm planning to take part this month! Hope you feel better soon :empathy:

I'll be attempting to join in again!  I hope you feel better fast, Athena!

I'm glad you will hopefully be joining in again! Thanks Jessi :)

I hope to join in this month! Feel better soon Gaia :)

I hope you can! Thanks Noll :)

I might be busy some of Staurday, but I'm planning to take part this month! Hope you feel better soon :empathy:

Good to have you join us, Karen. Thanks :)!

I hope you feel better soon - I had this about a month ago and its awful :( you really do have my sympathies and hope you feel well soon :D

Also I might take part this weekend too if little one co-operates!

Thanks Laura :), you know what it's like then :(. I hope you get to do some reading this weekend.

My reading plan is probably going to be something like this (not neccessarily in this order). I had trouble concentrating on reading yesterday though, so I don't know if I'll be able to read all of this.

Owned Books:

Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 39: Poor Mallory! (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club Super Special 5: California Girls (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 40: Joke Vals Beschuldigd! (The Babysitters Club 40: Claudia and the Middle School Mystery) (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 20: De Cock en de Ganzen van de Dood

Terry Deary - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Ruige Ridders en Kastelen (Horrible Histories: Dark Knights and Dingy Castles) (re-read)

Library Loans:

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 10: Één Plus Één is Één Teveel (Giú le Zampe, Faccia di Fontina!)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 24: Halloween: Lach of Ik Schiet (Halloween... che fifa felina!)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 38: De Indiaan met het Gouden Hart (Il Segreto del Lago Scomparso)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 41: Oei, Oei, Ik Zit in de Knoei! (Ahi Ahi Ahi, Sono Nei Guai!)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 47: De Schat van de Duikelende Dakhazen (Il Tesoro di Valle Valgatta)

Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 5: Een Berg op Pootjes (Per Mille Mammut, mi si Gela la Coda!)

Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 9: Zi-wat Zeerat op Jacht naar de Schat (Mordosauri in Mare... Tesoro da Salvare!)

Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 6 (Viaggio nel Tempo 6)

Geronimo Stilton - De Grote Invasie van Rokford (La Grande Invasione di Topazia)

Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rozen 2: Het Bevroren Paradijs (Il Segreto delle Fate delle Nevi)

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 9: Tales From a Not-So-Dorky Drama Queen

Big Balloon Publishers - The Lion King

I will (hopefully) be able to do Saturday, but I won't be able to do Friday because I'm working, or Sunday as it's Mothering Sunday so I'll be spending the day with my Mum.  :)

I hope you can do some nice reading on Saturday, and that you have a good time on Sunday :)

I'm at work tomorrow and meeting a friend in the evening so don't think I will get too much reading done on Friday, but I hope to join in properly on Saturday and Sunday!  :-)

I hope you will be able to join :).

I wish everyone happy read-a-thon-ing this weekend :readingtwo:!

Personally, I had trouble concentrating on my reading the past two days, so we'll see how it goes when I try :hide:. I don't really feel like it either :blush2:, but I want to try. Maybe it's just the illness. I am feeling a lot better than a few days ago though :).

My progress for yesterday:

Friday 04-03-2016

1h 30 mins, 133 pages, Ann M. Martin - The BabySitter's Club 39: Poor Mallory! (re-read)

1h 20 mins, 255 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club Super Special 5: California Girls (re-read)

30 mins, 123 pages, Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 40: Joke Vals Beschuldigd! (The Babysitters Club 40: Claudia and the Middle School Mystery) (re-read)

1h 20 mins, 135 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 20: De Cock en de Ganzen van de Dood

1h 50 mins, 208 pages, Terry Deary - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Ruige Ridders en Kastelen (Horrible Histories: Dark Knights and Dingy Castles) (re-read)

Total: 6h 30 mins, 854 pages (* a lot of this time wasn't spend reading but trying to concentrate)

Well, I spent a lot of time holding books, but not all of the time was spent reading. I did manage to get through the pile of books that I normally read on the first day of the read-a-thon, so in that sense it was a success. But seeing as it took me 1h 30 mins to read 133 pages of BSC 39, and 30 mins to read 123 pages of BSC 40 (admittedly I did skim a few sections), and 1h 20 mins to read 255 pages of BSC SS 15.. well.. that seems.. rather off :P. So my total time reading was 6h 30 mins, but was probably closer to 4-5 hours of actual reading (considering that's how long it normally takes me to get through this pile).

I hope those of you who plan to read today, have a good time reading :).

Good luck everyone with your read-a-thon this weekend! :smile2: 

I started yesterday, but did very little reading because I wasn't feeling like it. I picked up I'm With the Band - Confessions of a Groupie by Pamela des Barres when I went to bed, and managed to read 18 pages before falling asleep :D 

I started yesterday, but did very little reading because I wasn't feeling like it. I picked up I'm With the Band - Confessions of a Groupie by Pamela des Barres when I went to bed, and managed to read 18 pages before falling asleep :D

You did better than I did, I only managed 7 pages of The Revenant by Michael :Punke before nodding off last night!

Today I have read 200 pages of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown; it's a very interesting (although slightly depressing) read, but it's a big hardback book so I might choose a paperback to read in bed :-)

Awww, I hope you will feel more like reading today :). Maybe you were tired :P?

I haven't read as much as last month (I'm only reading today) but I read (and finished) 202 pages of Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman and listened to four chapters of Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell.  :)

I'm glad you had some fun time reading :). I look forward to read your review of Neverwhere, did you enjoy it?

Today I have read 200 pages of Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee by Dee Brown; it's a very interesting (although slightly depressing) read, but it's a big hardback book so I might choose a paperback to read in bed :-)

That's some nice reading progress :). I hope you had fun.

Saturday 05-03-2016

45 mins, 42 pages, Shawn Inmon - The Unusual Second Life of Thomas Weaver 4: Episode 4

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 10: Één Plus Één is Één Teveel (Giú le Zampe, Faccia di Fontina!)

25 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 24: Halloween: Lach of Ik Schiet (Halloween... che fifa felina!)

25 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 38: De Indiaan met het Gouden Hart (Il Segreto del Lago Scomparso)

30 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 41: Oei, Oei, Ik Zit in de Knoei! (Ahi Ahi Ahi, Sono Nei Guai!)

25 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 47: De Schat van de Duikelende Dakhazen (Il Tesoro di Valle Valgatta)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 5: Een Berg op Pootjes (Per Mille Mammut, mi si Gela la Coda!)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 9: Zi-wat Zeerat op Jacht naar de Schat (Mordosauri in Mare... Tesoro da Salvare!)

1h 5 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 6 (Viaggio nel Tempo 6)

Total: 4h 35 mins, 1322 pages

In total I didn't read as long as I would have liked, but I was too tired to do so. I was able to concentrate better though overall. I could've spend more time reading but I felt too tired to read more. I should be able to finish off the rest of my read-a-thon TBR today, if there is any time leftover to read I will pick one or more of my own books to read. It will depend on how tired I feel, too.

Happy reading on Sunday, those of you who plan on reading today :).

I look forward to read your review of Neverwhere, did you enjoy it?

I loved it. :wub:

Total: 4h 35 mins, 1322 pages

:thud:  I really don't know how you do it.  I'm so impressed!  :) It would generally take me more than a week to read what you achieve in a day.

You did better than I did, I only managed 7 pages of The Revenant by Michael :Punke before nodding off last night!

:lol: Glad to be in good company!

Oh but now you've gone and done it: read a helluva lot! :D Well done Ooshie :) 

I read 4 pages last night before giving up. I'm just not in a reading mood these days. 

I've been distracted by Daredevil so I'm not really read-a-thon-ing, but I'm reading Coldbrook by Tim Lebbon and focusing on reading as much as I can. Did about 100 pages yesterday and am aiming to get as close to finishing it today as possible. Whether or not I do I'd also like to tackle some of The Animals of Farthing Wood this evening, as I really want to get that finished.

I loved it. :wub:

That's good to hear :).

:thud:  I really don't know how you do it.  I'm so impressed!  :) It would generally take me more than a week to read what you achieve in a day.

Thanks, Janet :). It does help though, that most of what I read are children's books with huge font and illustrations. If I were to read, say, a book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin or another book for adults that is more complicated and has smaller font in the book, I would be a lot slower in pages / hour. But I do have an higher than average reading speed. My reading comprehension is about average, if I slow down more and analyse all the words then I'll remember more, but that takes the fun out of reading for me (that's school stuff). 

I read 4 pages last night before giving up. I'm just not in a reading mood these days.

Awww :(.

I've been distracted by Daredevil so I'm not really read-a-thon-ing, but I'm reading Coldbrook by Tim Lebbon and focusing on reading as much as I can. Did about 100 pages yesterday and am aiming to get as close to finishing it today as possible. Whether or not I do I'd also like to tackle some of The Animals of Farthing Wood this evening, as I really want to get that finished.

I'm glad you had fun watching Daredevil at least. And that you did read some :).

Sunday 06-03-2016

1h 20 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - De Grote Invasie van Rokford (La Grande Invasione di Topazia)

1h, 384 pages, Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rozen 2: Het Bevroren Paradijs (Il Segreto delle Fate delle Nevi)

1h 10 mins, 333 pages, Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 9: Tales From a Not-So-Dorky Drama Queen

10 mins, 46 pages, Big Balloon Publishers - The Lion King (Dutch)

20 mins, 95 pages, Chris Mould - Skeletten, Spoken & Spinrag (Dust 'n Bones)

1h, 510 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Dubbel Pocket 9 (re-read)

Total: 5h 0 mins, 1752 pages

I read a lot yesterday. I have to say though, after finishing off my read-a-thon TBR I started to feel like I'd read enough for a while, and after finishing the Donald Duck book I decided to do something else for the remaining 45 mins of my spare time before dinner. So I could've read more but I didn't feel like it anymore.

Total this read-a-thon: 16h 5 mins, 3928 pages, 20 books read

Overall this was quite a successful read-a-thon for me (mainly due to the Stiltons with their big font and lots of illustrations).

I hope everyone had some fun :).

The next read-a-thon will take place on the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of April (and that's no joke :giggle2:) (as per the list on the first post of this topic).

I only read about ten more pages of Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, but then read the whole of Dr Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party by Graham Greene (140 pages).  I think I do better in the read-a-thons when I read several short books rather than trying to read a longer book so I will go back to that next time I think!

I only read about ten more pages of Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee, but then read the whole of Dr Fischer of Geneva or The Bomb Party by Graham Greene (140 pages).  I think I do better in the read-a-thons when I read several short books rather than trying to read a longer book so I will go back to that next time I think!

That's not a bad idea, it's worth a shot :). I feel the same, that's one of the reasons why I read several short books for my read-a-thons as opposed to longer books.

But seeing as it took me 1h 30 mins to read 133 pages of BSC 39, and 30 mins to read 123 pages of BSC 40 (admittedly I did skim a few sections), and 1h 20 mins to read 255 pages of BSC SS 15.. well.. that seems.. rather off :P

Did you skim the chapters where she describes the characters and the club? Those chapters were always so annoying! You didn't really need reminding in book 60 who they all were, and anyone silly enough to start a series at book 60 doesn't deserve to know. :P

Did you skim the chapters where she describes the characters and the club? Those chapters were always so annoying! You didn't really need reminding in book 60 who they all were, and anyone silly enough to start a series at book 60 doesn't deserve to know. :P

Exactly those chapters! They are annoying. I usually do read them if it's been a while since the last BSC book, otherwise I tend to skim over them as they just rehash the same information again (though told differently on occasion depending on the POV character). Good to know it's not just me :D.

• 3 weeks later...

Next weekend, in five days' time, it's time for the April read-a-thon (Friday the 1rst of April, Saturday the 2nd and Sunday the 3rd). Is anyone going to be joining me?

I plan to read:

Owned books:

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub Club 41: Inge Hakt De Knoop Door (The Babysitter's Club 41: Mary Anne vs. Logan) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 42: Opgepast, Jessie! (Jessi and the Dance School Phantom) (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 22: De Cock en de Dood van een Clown

Terry Deary - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Verbazingwekkende Verenigde Staten (Horrible Histories: The USA) (re-read)

Library Loans:

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 4: Het Geheimzinnige Geschrift van Nostradamuis (Il Misterioso Manuscritto di Nostratopus)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 20: Prettige Vakantie, Stilton?! (L'hai Voluta la Vacanza, Stilton?)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 46: Goud in Gevaar (Attacco Alla Statua d'Oro!)

Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 1: Het Kasteel van de 100 Verhalen (Il Castello Delle 100 Storie)

Cornelia Funke - Emma and the Blue Genie

Geoff Rodkey - The Tapper Twins 1: The Tapper Wins Go To War (With Each Other)

Sabine Zett - Hugo 1: Hugo's Geniale Wereld (Hugo's geniale Welt)

Tommy Greenwald - Otto-Jan 2: Otto-Jan zegt JA tegen Slijmen (Charlie Joe Jackson 2: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit)

(not neccessarily in this order)

(I will read some of my owned books, if I were to finish with this above, early.)