Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

I'm going to start read-a-thon-ing today through Sunday. I estimate I have enough books for 4 days. Hopefully it will go better than the September read-a-thon for me. I know Thursday is a bit early to start, but I have other things I want to do next week and enough books for 4 days at least I think, so I hope nobody minds if I start today.

I wish happy reading to those of you who participate this weekend (Noll and Anisia) :). I hope you both have a nice rest of the week and a nice weekend :).

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ooh, a read-a-thon this weekend! I will participate too, as I should have plenty of reading time  :smile: . Happy reading folks!!

It's nice to hear you will be participating :)! Happy reading to you too :readingtwo:!!

Happy reading! I'm just about to start, I might finally finish American Gods tonight. Then I have 3 library books for the weekend, hope to make my way through some of them.

I hope you enjoy American Gods and other book(s) that you might read :). Happy reading to you as well :readingtwo:!!

Here's my progress for the past two days:

Thursday 13-10-2016

45 mins, 94 pages, Ann Cleeves - Shetland Island: Too Good To Be True

1h, 147 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Babysitters Club 53: Kristy for President (re-read)

45 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 54: Tines Droom Wordt Werkelijkheid! (The Babysitters Club 54: Mallory and the Dream Horse) (re-read)

50 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub Mystery 4: Gertie en het Vermiste Kind (The Babysitters Club Mystery 3: Kristy and the Missing Child) (re-read)

15 mins, 22 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 47: De Cock en een Dodelijk Rendez-vous (re-read)

Total: 3h 35 mins, 511 pages

Friday 14-10-2016

1h 30 mins, 113 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 47: De Cock en een Dodelijk Rendez-vous (re-read)

2h, 181 pages, Anita Ganeri (ill. Mike Phillips) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Woeste Woestijnen (Horrible Georgraphy: Desperate Deserts)

15 mins, 75 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 214 1/2: Spoken In Duckstad

Total: 3h 45 mins, 369 pages

So far I haven't read as much as on a good read-a-thon today (that would be reading over 4 hours), but I enjoyed what I did read. I didn't feel in the mood for reading some of the time, there were other things I wanted to do (I only did some though). We'll have to see how today and tomorrow go. I still feel like doing some of those other things even though I didn't do them :P.

Happy reading to everyone, today :)!

Because of having a cold I didn't spend nearly as much time as I wanted reading...did sleep a lot! But I managed about 350 pages of American Gods so I finished it :) Next I want to finish Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night  then move on to one of the library books. 

Because of having a cold I didn't spend nearly as much time as I wanted reading...did sleep a lot! But I managed about 350 pages of American Gods so I finished it :) Next I want to finish Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night  then move on to one of the library books.

I'm sorry you're having a cold, I hope you'll feel better soon! Well done on finishing American Gods, did you like it? I've read other books by Neil Gaiman but not American Gods. I hope you enjoy the rest of Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night :).

My progress for yesterday:

Saturday 15-10-2016

45 mins, 181 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 214 1/2: Spoken In Duckstad

15 mins, 49 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Het Boekje over Vrede (Il Picollo Libro della Pace)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 40: De Roof can de Gi-Ga-Diamant (Il Furto del Diamante Gigante)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 71: De Roof van het Gouden Boek (Caccia al Libro d'Oro)

25 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Oerknagers 2: Help, Het Regent Stenen! (Attenti Alla Coda, Meteoriti in Arrivo)

45 mins, 288 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Noormuizen: Het Gevecht Tegen De Monsterdraken (Il Segreto del Drago Blu)

30 mins, 66 pages, Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 9: Top of the Class (Nearly)

Total: 3h 20 mins, 968 pages

Somehow I'm just not as much feeling like reading, though I did manage to read quite a bit yesterday. I was feeling quite tired too from all the chores I had to do. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to read all of my remaining (read-a-thon) library loans. Maybe I've just been feeling too tired as well. The books I did read yesterday though, I did enjoy reading them.

I wish everyone happy reading, who's reading today :):readingtwo:.

My progress for Sunday:

Sunday 16-10-2016

45 mins, 167 pages, Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 9: Top of the Class (Nearly)

45 mins, 272 pages, Stephan Pastis - Flip Fiasco 3: Nóg Een Keer (Timmy Failure 3: We Meet Again)

25 mins, 133 pages, Gill Lewis (ill. Sarah Horne) - Puppy Academy 1: Scout and the Sausage Thief

15 mins, 107 pages, Eoin Colfer (ill. Matt Robertson) - Anna Liza and the Happy Practice

45 mins, 215 pages, Philip Reeve and Sarah McIntyre - Pugs of the Frozen North

5 mins, 20 pages, Tony Ross - Little Princess: I Didn't Do It!

5 mins, 22 pages, Tony Ross - Rita's Rhino

5 mins, 28 pages, David Walliams (ill. Tony Ross) - The First Hippo on the Moon

5 mins, 24 pages, Jane Chapman - No More Cuddles!

15 mins, 110 pages, Oliver Jeffers - Once Upon an Alphabet

30 mins, 172 pages, Chris Riddell - Louize 2: Louize en het Schoolspook (Ottoline 2: Ottoline Goes To School)

Total: 4h, 1270 pages

I had a great reading day yesterday, I read a lot. I had a lot of fun. I felt more in the mood to read, too.

Total this read-a-thon: 14h 40 mins, 3118 pages, 23 books read

Overall I didn't read as long as in some read-a-thons earlier this year, but I did read a nice amount of pages and a nice amount of books :).

How did things go for the read-a-thon for everyone else :)?

That's a lot of reading done yesterday! Glad you enjoyed it :)

I'm sorry you're having a cold, I hope you'll feel better soon! Well done on finishing American Gods, did you like it? I've read other books by Neil Gaiman but not American Gods. I hope you enjoy the rest of Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night :).

I ended up really enjoying American Gods despite a very slow start, I definitely recommend it.

I also finished Sidney Chambers and the Perils of the Night so another about 250 pages. Nothing compared to your amount of reading but I'd been in a complete no-read phase so this weekend has been so great, just what I needed. 

Edited by anisia

• 3 weeks later...

The read-a-thon this month was rescheduled to the middle of the month to accommodate Athena's birthday celebrations at the beginning of November.

I won't be particpating as the reschedule means it will now occur on my birthday instead.  :)

You can read-a-thon by yourself though, I've done that a few times! Though at the moment, I'm not reading at all. Like, at ALL. Really need to sort that out. I know once I actually pick a book up, I'll get into it. I'm just struggling to pick anything up. 

Well done Janet! I'm glad you're having fun :).

Noll is right, we rescheduled it. But it turns out I might not be able to do the read-a-thon the 11-12-13th either due to unforeseen circumstances. I'll probably read-a-thon on my own a few days after those days, depending on how tired I feel.

Anyone is welcome to do their own read-a-thon and post about it here :).

Noll, I hope you get back into reading soon :(. And that you have a great birthday!

You can read-a-thon by yourself though, I've done that a few times! Though at the moment, I'm not reading at all. Like, at ALL. Really need to sort that out. I know once I actually pick a book up, I'll get into it. I'm just struggling to pick anything up.

Ah, thanks. :) I'm not often able to participate and I hadn't read that the dates had changed. I think I'll go shopping for some new Christmas decorations today then.

I hope your mojo returns soon. :hug::friends3: x

But it turns out I might not be able to do the read-a-thon the 11-12-13th either due to unforeseen circumstances. I'll probably read-a-thon on my own a few days after those days, depending on how tired I feel.

Anyone is welcome to do their own read-a-thon and post about it here :).

Indeed I'm not able to do the read-a-thon this coming weekend. I'll do it next week or when I feel in the mood for it (but before my library loans are due). Like I said, if anyone does want to read-a-thon this weekend, feel free to post about it.

December's one will in principle just take place as usual, on the first weekend in the month, which is the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of December. Hopefully we can get more of a get-together for the read-a-thon then, instead of everyone reading on different dates.

Yeah, I think in general it would be best not to move around the official dates of the Read-a-thon. If people can't participate on those dates they can't participate, simple as, they can either join in next month, or if they want to do their own unofficial ones outside of that, they can. Everyone will still be free to do it whenever they like, but it's better for generating groups if the official dates are always fixed.

I'd like to think I'll be able to do the December one, as my mojo is gradually coming back, but I'm gonna be busy on Sunday 4th, and that whole week is going to be pretty crazy for me. I might manage the Friday and Saturday, though!

Usually it is on the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the month. It was moved this month to this coming weekend of today, tomorrow and Sunday, but I don't think anybody is doing those dates now, either, so as a result there is no official read-a-thon this month. You can, however, just do it whenever you want to, if you feel up for doing it by yourself!

So the next official dates will be December 2nd/3rd/4th. :)

Quite accidentally today turned into a read-a-thon day. I was waiting to hear from a friend, and while waiting, I picked up my current read, and now I've just finished it. I don't know if I'll continue tomorrow, but we'll see. 

Saturday: 279 pages of The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen (finishing the novel) 

..................68 pages of Kellari by Maaria Päivinen

Edited by frankie

I'd like to think I'll be able to do the December one, as my mojo is gradually coming back, but I'm gonna be busy on Sunday 4th, and that whole week is going to be pretty crazy for me. I might manage the Friday and Saturday, though!

I hope you'll be able to manage the Friday and Saturday :).  

Quite accidentally today turned into a read-a-thon day. I was waiting to hear from a friend, and while waiting, I picked up my current read, and now I've just finished it. I don't know if I'll continue tomorrow, but we'll see. 

Saturday: 279 pages of The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen (finishing the novel) 

..................68 pages of Kellari by Maaria Päivinen

I'm glad you had fun reading :).

I'm probably going to skip this month's (November's) read-a-thon. I don't at all feel like reading my usual pile of owned books and I'm thinking of not reading the ones I planned to read in November, in December either (ie. my BabySitters Club books). Instead I think I'll try to concentrate solely on my library loans or anything owned I do fancy reading. I do have some library loans left to read that would've been my read-a-thon material and in the next week or so I plan to read those that I feel in the mood for. But I've got a lot of stuff to do in the coming while and I don't really feel in the mood to spend lots of time reading as I'd like to get some other things done too.

The next read-a-thon will take place, like Noll said, on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of December, so in about 2 weeks from now. I'll see by then how I feel about it, and if I feel more in the mood of reading.

I went back to check things and found this: 

Usually it is on the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday of the month. It was moved this month to this coming weekend of today, tomorrow and Sunday, but I don't think anybody is doing those dates now, either, so as a result there is no official read-a-thon this month. You can, however, just do it whenever you want to, if you feel up for doing it by yourself!

I'm probably going to skip this month's (November's) read-a-thon

Hm... You, Nollaig, said it was last weekend, but Athena's saying she's not going to be able to participate this month. So is Athena thinking it's this weekend but it was actually last weekend?

Last weekend was the read-a-thon, but you were the only participant hehe.

And damn proud of it :cool::D

Edited by frankie

I went back to check things and found this: 

Hm... You, Nollaig, said it was last weekend, but Athena's saying she's not going to be able to participate this month. So is Athena thinking it's this weekend but it was actually last weekend?

See:

Indeed I'm not able to do the read-a-thon this coming weekend. I'll do it next week or when I feel in the mood for it (but before my library loans are due). Like I said, if anyone does want to read-a-thon this weekend, feel free to post about it.

It was meant to be the weekend of the 12th, that was the original reschedule, but then Athena didn't do it that weekend and decided to wait til this weekend.

Basically, due to all the rescheduling and resulting confusion, everyone has wound up doing their own thing this month, and we didn't really have a proper read-a-thon.

Therefore, back to the first weekend of the month from December on, and hopefully no more rescheduling.

Since this month is already a bit of a mess, I'm trying to get a decent bit of reading done this weekend myself :lol:

See:

It was meant to be the weekend of the 12th, that was the original reschedule, but then Athena didn't do it that weekend and decided to wait til this weekend.

Ah! I didn't go back that  much! My argument was very much viable in itself :P