Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

Aw! I just HAD TO start The Virgin's Lover, and that's not really read a thon material... I don't want to read it fast, so I'm out :( Sorry! I really wanted to take part.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aw! I just HAD TO start The Virgin's Lover, and that's not really read a thon material... I don't want to read it fast, so I'm out :( Sorry! I really wanted to take part.

Sorry to hear you won't be participating. I hope you enjoy The Virgin's Lover :).

My progress for yesterday:

Thursday 04-08-2016

50 mins, 111 pages, Veronica Henry, Fanny Blake, Elizabeth Buchan, Rowan Coleman, Jenny Colgan, Philippa Gregory, Matt Haig, Andy McNab, Richard Madeley, John O'Farrell and The Hairy Bikers - The Anniversary

45 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 49: Joke en het Wonderkind (The Babysitters Club 49: Claudia and the Genius of Elm Street) (re-read)

45 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub Mystery 2: Betty en de Onzichtbare Vijand (The Babysitters Club Mystery 2: Beware, Dawn!) (re-read)

Total: 2h 20 mins, 359 pages

I didn't read a whole lot yesterday, at least, not as much as I normally read during a read-a-thon day. I didn't spend that much time reading in comparison with previous read-a-thon days (ie. last month). I ended up doing lots of other things instead. I did manage to read these three books though (even if quite late in the day I had only read 1 :P).

Hopefully I'll make more progress today.

Sorry to hear you won't be participating. I hope you enjoy The Virgin's Lover :).My progress for yesterday:Thursday 04-08-201650 mins, 111 pages, Veronica Henry, Fanny Blake, Elizabeth Buchan, Rowan Coleman, Jenny Colgan, Philippa Gregory, Matt Haig, Andy McNab, Richard Madeley, John O'Farrell and The Hairy Bikers - The Anniversary

I am so jealous of this book!

Great read a thon day, even if it isn't your normal standards :P

Even if you don't want to read the book fast, don't you want to join by recording your page count? :unsure: The more the merrier! :)

Edit: It's not always about the most pages read, you could record the hours you spend reading the book, even if you stop mid-page and ponder for fifteen minutes :) Who cares if you don't read that many pages as you normally would, with a quicker book! :) 

Edited by frankie

Even if you don't want to read the book fast, don't you want to join by recording your page count? :unsure: The more the merrier! :)

True- but I've had low numbers today and can't read a huge amount these next couple of days :( at least, I can't dedicate myself to a read a thon this weekend.

I guess could alway post my totals after my night is over :)

True- but I've had low numbers today and can't read a huge amount these next couple of days :( at least, I can't dedicate myself to a read a thon this weekend.

Okay, I understand. I hope you can join next month, at least! :) 

I guess could alway post my totals after my night is over :)

There's no harm in that :) But no pressure, of course! 

Great going, Athena :smile2: 

I'll be taking part if the weather stays rainy. My progress so far: 

Thursday

166 pages of The Blackbird Sings at Dusk by Linda Olsson

Thanks Frankie! I'm happy you're joining in :). Great progress so far! 

I am so jealous of this book!

Great read a thon day, even if it isn't your normal standards :P

Such a shame you can't buy it on your Kindle :(.

I'm hopefully going to take part, starting today :) I didn't get much reading done yesterday so I'm not going to count it.

I'm happy you'll be joining in :).

Friday 05-08-2016

1h 30 mins, 227 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Babysitters Club Super Special 7: Snowbound

50 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 50: Een Spannende Afspraak voor Betty (The Babysitters Club 50: Dawn's Big Date (re-read)

1h 5 mins, 136 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 34: De Cock en de Moord in Beeld]

Total: 3h 25 mins, 487 pages

I made more progress than on Thursday, so that's good. Still not as much as I had liked, but for some reason I didn't feel in the mood to read all day long, and I didn't want to force myself to read if I didn't feel like it. Hopefully today will be better, but I'm not sure to be honest. I think I feel too pressured to get to my library loans in time, and also that I'm not sure I want to read all my loans, but might rather read some of the books I recently bought (but, I only have the loans now, it might be a few months before I see them again at the library).

Great progress Athena! :smile2: If you don't feel like reading all your loans, maybe you could just ignore the ones you don't want to read now and go for something you truly want to read? Reading's no fun if you have to force yourself.  :empathy:  Do you have a particular book in mind that you really want to start? 

My progress for Friday

60 pages of Blackbird Sings at Dusk

Not all that much, but I was tired after work and I'm not enjoying the book as much as I did before. I can't wait to finish it and start something else! 

Nice progress :)! How long until the book is finished?

Thanks :friends3:. There isn't one specific book I want to start, there are multiple. I guess if I had to narrow it down, it'd be We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I read 10 pages in it, then went to the library and loaned books. I put We Were Liars down because I had so many loans and I hadn't really started it yet. But I do want to read it.

Nice progress :)! How long until the book is finished?

Only 94 pages, thankfully! It reads very quickly, too, so shouldn't take me long at all :) 

Thanks :friends3:. There isn't one specific book I want to start, there are multiple. I guess if I had to narrow it down, it'd be We Were Liars by E. Lockhart. I read 10 pages in it, then went to the library and loaned books. I put We Were Liars down because I had so many loans and I hadn't really started it yet. But I do want to read it.

Multiple books... :thud: It's really tough when there's not just one you really want to read, but multiple! I so know what you mean... I have so many library books I've been dying to get to, but now I also have 9 new books I've bought this week that I'd really like to read, and it's so difficult to choose when you just want to read them all, right now!! :blush:  :banghead:   :lol: 

I started reading We Were Liars some months ago, but didn't like the way it was written... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you eventually get to it! :) 

I hope you can make a definitive choice soon and have fun reading today :) 

My Friday progress:

139 pages of 14 Days To Die - A.B. Whelan.

This book is so bad it hurts but I knew that going in and I will see it through to the end. :giggle:

Nice progress :giggle2:. I would put the book away though if it was so bad, but well done on sticking with it. I couldn't do it.

Only 94 pages, thankfully! It reads very quickly, too, so shouldn't take me long at all :)

Nice :).

Multiple books... :thud: It's really tough when there's not just one you really want to read, but multiple! I so know what you mean... I have so many library books I've been dying to get to, but now I also have 9 new books I've bought this week that I'd really like to read, and it's so difficult to choose when you just want to read them all, right now!! :blush:  :banghead:   :lol:

That's exactly it!

I started reading We Were Liars some months ago, but didn't like the way it was written... I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it when you eventually get to it! :) 

I hope you can make a definitive choice soon and have fun reading today :)

I'll be sure to let you know what I think of it :). Thanks :)!

Saturday:

Read 119 pages of 14 Days To Die, finished it, it was also utter crap. *high fives Frankie* we're great at picking books :P

Not sure what I'm gonna start next, but I will probably start something alongside Some Kind Of Happiness to read later.

ETA: Started Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay and read 43 pages.

Total: 162 pages.

Saturday:

Read 119 pages of 14 Days To Die, finished it, it was also utter crap. *high fives Frankie* we're great at picking books :P

Haha :P.

Nice progress, Noll :).

Saturday 06-08-2016

1h 20 mins, 127 pages, Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Horrible Histories: The Gorgeous Georgians

45 mins, 256 pages, Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 207 1/2: Paniek Om Een Ei

25 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 72: Geef Gas, Geronimo! (Ingrana La Marcia, Stilton!)

30 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 3: Pukkelpaniek! (Lo Strano Caso dei Brufoli Blu)

Total: 3h 0 mins, 639 pages

I didn't read much until about 15:00, but I managed to read some things in the end. I could've read the Donald Duck and the Stiltons quicker than I did, though. But either way, I'm happy I managed to get some reading in in the end. I was feeling so tired yesterday, I didn't read anything for most of the day while I tried to rest.

Adding to my yesterday's progress:

Saturday: ....94 pages of The Blackbird sings at Dusk by Linda Olsson (thus finishing the novel. It was utter crap.) 

....................124 pages of The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Bell 

I hope the next book you read will be so much more enjoyable :)!

Well it can't be worse, that's for sure! :D Thanks, I'm enjoying my current read just fine :)

:lol: We see 'em, we're at 'em like wild beasts! 

I didn't read much until about 15:00, but I managed to read some things in the end. I could've read the Donald Duck and the Stiltons quicker than I did, though. But either way, I'm happy I managed to get some reading in in the end. I was feeling so tired yesterday, I didn't read anything for most of the day while I tried to rest.

I hope Sunday's much nicer for you and you'll be refreshed and reading a'plenty :)

Edit: I've just realized that this is so far my most successful read-a-thon, page-wise! My last record was 438 pages and I've already topped it by 6 pages, and I've still got the whole day ahead of me :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

Friday:

Saturday:

Read 119 pages of 14 Days To Die, finished it.

Read 43 pages of Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay

Sunday:

Read 283 pages of Disappearance at Devil's Rock and finished it.

Total: 584 pages read, 2 books finished.

Definitely not my best by a long shot, but happy enough :)

Adding to my yesterday's progress:

Saturday: ....94 pages of The Blackbird sings at Dusk by Linda Olsson (thus finishing the novel. It was utter crap.) 

....................124 pages of The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Bell

Edit: I've just realized that this is so far my most successful read-a-thon, page-wise! My last record was 438 pages and I've already topped it by 6 pages, and I've still got the whole day ahead of me :smile2:

Great progress, Frankie :).  I'm glad you had fun.

I hope Sunday's much nicer for you and you'll be refreshed and reading a'plenty :)

Thanks, Frankie :). I did feel a bit better yesterday compared with Saturday, and I managed to read a bit more.

Friday:

Saturday:

Read 119 pages of 14 Days To Die, finished it.

Read 43 pages of Disappearance at Devil's Rock by Paul Tremblay

Sunday:

Read 283 pages of Disappearance at Devil's Rock and finished it.

Total: 584 pages read, 2 books finished.

Definitely not my best by a long shot, but happy enough :)

Great progress, Noll :). I'm glad you had fun.

Sunday 07-08-2016

25 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Rode Reeks 1: De Grote Voetbalfinale (Finale di Supercoppa... a Topazia!)

35 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Gullivers Reizen (I Viaggi di Gulliver)

40 mins, 192 pages, Angie Sage - Araminta Spookie 3: Ge-kik-napt (Frognapped)

40 mins, 189 pages, Angie Sage - Araminta Spookie 4: De Kliervampier (Vampire Brat)

40 mins, 186 pages, Georgie Pritchett (ill. Jamie Littler) - Wilf The Mighty Worrier 1: Wilf The Mighty Worrier Saves The World

Total: 3h 0 mins, 919 pages

I had better reading day yesterday. I felt less tired and was able to read some books.

Total this read-a-thon: 11h 45 mins, 2404 pages, 15 books read

Now that I've calculated it, it doesn't seem so bad. But I "only" got through about half the books I planned to read for this read-a-thon, and I didn't spend as much time reading as usually and didn't read as many pages as usually. Overall this has to be one of my worst read-a-thons so far this year (not the worst though, it depends which criteria you go for). I still had fun with the books I did read. I just felt too tired and not in the mood to read much (I didn't read a whole lot more time-wise than I usually read).

Now that I've calculated it, it doesn't seem so bad. But I "only" got through about half the books I planned to read for this read-a-thon, and I didn't spend as much time reading as usually and didn't read as many pages as usually. Overall this has to be one of my worst read-a-thons so far this year (not the worst though, it depends which criteria you go for). I still had fun with the books I did read. I just felt too tired and not in the mood to read much (I didn't read a whole lot more time-wise than I usually read).

I'm sorry to hear you weren't in the mood and were tired. But at least you enjoyed all the books you read! I hope the next read-a-thon is more fun for you :)

I'm adding to Sunday: 

Sunday: 660 pages of The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Bell 

Overall progress:

August   

Thursday. 166 pages of The Blackbird sings at Dusk by Linda Olsson

Friday.........60 pages of The Blackbird sings at Dusk by Linda Olsson

Saturday: .....94 pages of The Blackbird sings at Dusk by Linda Olsson

...................124 pages of The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Bell 

Sunday: .......60 pages of The Bucket List to Mend a Broken Heart by Anna Bell 

504 pages for me, my personal record. I thought I'd read more on Sunday but I had to go to the library and do the dishes and then I got lazy :D 

Edited by frankie