Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

This is just a reminder that the next read-a-thon will be this Friday, Saturday and Sunday the 1rst, 2nd and 3rd of July. I've already got my read-a-thon library loans, and my usual reads picked out. I think I have enough reading material for at least 4 days, but I haven't yet decided if I want to read from Thursday - Sunday or from Friday - Monday. In the latter case the read-a-thon will fall completely in July. I have a dentist appointment on Thursday morning, so I might just see how I feel after that; or I might see how I feel on Wednesday. I haven't decided yet. Anyway, I don't know if anyone is planning on joining me this weekend, but for anyone who does, I hope they enjoy their reading :).

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to start from today I think, as I'm really enjoying my current read. The books I'm hoping to read by Sunday are:

Distress Signals - Catherine Ryan Howard (ICC)

Tender - Belinda McKeon (ICC)

The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware

I hope you enjoy your reading once you start!

That's great to hear :D.

My progress for yesterday:

Friday 01-07-2016

40 mins, 123 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 47: Tine is het Beu! (The Babysitters Club 47: Mallory on Strike) (re-read)

40 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 48: De Grote Wens van Jessie (The Babysitters Club 48: Jessi's Wish (re-read)

1h 30 mins, 139 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 30: De Cock en een Dodelijke Dreiging

1h 15 mins, 127 pages, Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Horrible Histories: The Slimy Stuarts

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 16: Het Oog van Smaragd (Il Mistero dell'Occhio di Smeraldo)

20 mins, 128 pages,

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 28: Welkom op Kasteel Vrekkenstein (Benvenuti a Rocca Taccagna)

15 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 43: Wie Heeft Schrokopje ontvoerd? (Chi Ha Rapito Languorina?)

15 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 44: Dertien Spoken voor Duifje Duistermuis (Tredici Fantasmi per Tenebrosa)

15 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 55: Het Monster van Lago Lago (Il Mostro di Lago Lago & Una Truffa Coi Baffi)

Total: 5h 30 mins, 1153 pages

I read a lot! I didn't realise it was that much, until I added it all up. I got through the usual 4 owned books, then started on my library loans. I didn't think I'd read this much, usually on the first day I'm getting distracted somewhat by other things. So I'm very happy with my progress.

Happy reading today, Noll :). Are you going to read Tender next?

That's fantastic progress, well done!

I'm actually reading The Woman in Cabin 10, as it's also a thriller it'll be quicker for me to get through and should add up to more reading overall during the read-a-thon. Funnily enough, and I didn't intend this - both Distress Signals and Cabin 10 are partially or wholly set on cruise ships!! 

Day 2: The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware (352 pages). It was good enough, but as with her previous book In A Dark Dark Wood, I felt the characters lacked depth and the resolutions lacked oomph.

I'm actually going to slot a short 89 page book in next, Foster by Claire Keegan as I grabbed it for my Kindle yesterday and it's a new one for my Irish Counties Challenge. Then tomorrow onto Tender!

Great progress, Noll! It's a shame the book wasn't brilliant (though I'm glad it was good enough).

I wish you fun reading today :). I hope Foster and Tender are good.

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Saturday 02-07-2016

40 mins, 192 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Superhelden 5: Het Gevaarlijke Snotmonster (Allarme, Puzzoni in Azione!)

45 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 10: Diefstal op de Oriënt Express (Mistero sull'Orient Express)

40 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 13: Een Pracht van een Smaragd (Lo Smeraldo del Principe Indiano)

50 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Sandokan, de Piraat (Sandokan: Le Trigri di Mompracem)

1h 20 mins, 392 pages, Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Odysseus (Le Avventure di Ulisse)

1h 15 mins, 352 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Reis Door De Tijd 7 (Viaggio Nel Tempo 7)

Total: 5h 30 mins, 1608 pages

Somehow, I read for the same amount of time (though obviously, I round off to 5-min intervals but okay), as on Friday. This hasn't happened to me before (at least, not that I was aware of it). I didn't realise it until I added it all up, but it's pretty unusual I read for the same amount of time on both days. It's also pretty unusual for me to read this much during a read-a-thon. Most days of the read-a-thon fall between 4 and 5 hours, and that's a good day. Sometimes it's less than 4 hours (which is a less good reading day). I don't know how much I'll be reading today, we'll see. I read more pages yesterday than I did on Friday (the reason being that the first couple of books I read on Friday, didn't contain any pictures and therefore took longer to read).

The read-a-thon Stiltons are now finished (there's 1 left which isn't as much read-a-thon material, so I'll be reading it after the read-a-thon), so it's time to move on to other read-a-thon library loans. They don't have as many pictures and for a couple I haven't heard anything about them and just borrowed them because they sounded interesting and looked nice, so it's possible I might not enjoy some of them that much, or even might put them down. We'll see, I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt and will try them. They could be good. That said, a lot of the library's children's books I haven't heard anything about, because I don't know that many people who read children's books. And I usually enjoy my library loans, so.

EDIT: I've read a couple of books this Sunday morning, but I feel very tired and not very much in the mood to read.

Edited by Athena

Wow, great progress, Gaia and Noll!

I've been working all weekend on a job so haven't been able to join in. However, I've been snatching all possible moments to read some of my current book, Death Descends on Saturn Villa. In a way, I've read more this weekend than I usually would! I expect to finish the book tonight, which means I will have read around 200 pages this weekend.

My third day was not so great, but I'm happy enough with two good days.

Day 1: 280 pages of Distress Signals by Catherine Ryan Howard.

Day 2: 352 pages of The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

Day 3: 89 pages of Foster by Claire Keegan and 23 pages of The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

Totals: 744 pages read, 2 complete books read, one finished and one started.

Wow, great progress, Gaia and Noll!

I've been working all weekend on a job so haven't been able to join in. However, I've been snatching all possible moments to read some of my current book, Death Descends on Saturn Villa. In a way, I've read more this weekend than I usually would! I expect to finish the book tonight, which means I will have read around 200 pages this weekend.

My third day was not so great, but I'm happy enough with two good days.

Day 1: 280 pages of Distress Signals by Catherine Ryan Howard.

Day 2: 352 pages of The Woman in Cabin 10 by Ruth Ware

Day 3: 89 pages of Foster by Claire Keegan and 23 pages of The Essex Serpent by Sarah Perry

Totals: 744 pages read, 2 complete books read, one finished and one started.

Great progress this read-a-thon :). I'm glad you enjoyed your reading.

My progress:

Sunday 03-07-2016

1h, 179 pages, Katie Davies (ill. Hannah Shaw) - Animal Antics 1: The Great Hamster Massacre

40 mins, 190 pages, Harriet Whitehorn - Violet 1: Violet and the Pearl of the Orient

30 mins, 116 pages, Steve Cole - Astrosauriërs 2: Oviraptors in de Aanval (Astrosaurs: The Hatching Horror)

1h, 140 pages, Kid Kat (ill. Eric Bouwens) - Kid Kat 1: Kid Kat en het Geheim van de Ratrace

1h, 140 pages, Kid Kat (ill. Eric Bouwens) - Kid Kat 3: Gejank van de Bovenste Plank

Total: 4h 10 mins, 765 pages

My third day of the read-a-thon wasn't great, in the sense it wasn't as much fun as the previous two days and I was feeling very tired so I spent most of my time resting rather than reading. I calculated I did manage to do 4 hours of reading - it really didn't feel that way.

Total this read-a-thon: 15h 10 mins, 3526 pages, 20 books read

Overall then I think I did pretty well this read-a-thon, mostly due to the first two days which were great.

The next read-a-thon will take place on the 5th, 6th and 7th of August (Fri-Sat-Sun). I don't know if these dates suit everyone, since it is summer holidays time. I will be available, the dates work well for me.

• 5 weeks later...

The next read-a-thon is coming up, it's this weekend. Is anyone planning on joining me? We normally start on Friday and read until the end of Sunday (so on the 5-6-7th of August). There are no set challenges, you can read whichever book(s) you want.

I haven't decided for myself if I'll start on Thursday or on Friday. I'm going to let it depend on when I finish a book, and whether I feel in the mood to start on Thursday or on Friday, later in the week. In my mind the read-a-thon was still a while away, but Friday is in three days!

I'm planning to read these books I own:

Veronica Henry, Fanny Blake, Elizabeth Buchan, Rowan Coleman, Jenny Colgan, Philippa Gregory, Matt Haig, Andy McNab, Richard Madeley, John O'Farrell and The Hairy Bikers - The Anniversary

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 49: Joke en het Wonderkind (The Babysitters Club 49: Claudia and the Genius of Elm Street) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub Mystery 2: Betty en de Onzichtbare Vijand (The Babysitters Club Mystery 2: Beware, Dawn!) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitters Club Super Special 7: Snowbound

Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 50: Een Spannende Afspraak voor Betty (The Babysitters Club 50: Dawn's Big Date (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 34: De Cock en de Moord in Beeld

Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Horrible Histories: The Gorgeous Georgians

Disney - Donald Duck Pocket 207 1/2: Paniek Om Een Ei

And I plan on reading library loans:

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 72: Geef Gas, Geronimo! (Ingrana La Marcia, Stilton!)

Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 3: Pukkelpaniek! (Lo Strano Caso dei Brufoli Blu)

Geronimo Stilton - Rode Reeks 1: De Grote Voetbalfinale (Finale di Supercoppa... a Topazia!)

Geronimo Stilton - Gullivers Reizen (I Viaggi di Gulliver)

Angie Sage - Araminta Spookie 3: Ge-kik-napt (Frognapped)

Angie Sage - Araminta Spookie 4: De Kliervampier (Vampire Brat)

Georgie Pritchett (ill. Jamie Littler) - Wilf The Mighty Worrier 1: Wilf The Mighty Worrier Saves The World

Georgie Pritchett (ill. Jamie Littler) - Wilf The Mighty Worrier 2: Wilf The Mighty Worrier Battles A Pirate

Julian Clary (ill. David Roberts) - Familie Bold 1: De Beestachtige Familie Bold (The Bolds 1: The Bolds)

Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton - Treehouse 3: The 39-Story Treehouse

Tim Collins - Nurdius Maximus 4: Het Dagboek van Nurdius Maximus in de Lage Landen

Sabine Zett - Hugo 5: Hugo Chillt (Hugo Chillt)

Ulysses Moore - Ulysses Moore 4: Het Eiland van de Maskers (L'Isola delle Maschere)

Do van Ranst - Samuel 1: Voluit Samuel

I might not around to all of these, but whichever ones of my loans I don't read during the read-a-thon, I'll read after.

Hmm, looking at this list, maybe I should start on Thursday :P.