Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

Sorry for all the confusion!

I'm not going to do any read-a-thon this month myself, I don't feel in the mood. Instead, I'm reading those library loans that I feel in the mood for, when I feel in the mood for them (and not recording any time). I have other things I want to do so I don't want to spend most of the day(s) reading. I'm sorry if my wordings confused you, Frankie :blush2:. That was certainly not the intention.

I don't know if I'll be in the mood for the December read-a-thon. Time will tell, I guess. But yes, it will be the weekend of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of December.

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm doing a mini Read-a-Thon! :giggle:

Friday: 86 pages of The Wonder by Emma Donoghue.

Hoping to finish that book today, finish the last Lovecraft story in a collection I've read at some point between today and tomorrow, and start something else.

Sorry for all the confusion!

I'm not going to do any read-a-thon this month myself, I don't feel in the mood. Instead, I'm reading those library loans that I feel in the mood for, when I feel in the mood for them (and not recording any time). I have other things I want to do so I don't want to spend most of the day(s) reading. I'm sorry if my wordings confused you, Frankie :blush2:. That was certainly not the intention.

Oh don't worry about it one bit, Athena! :) I was confused but I still did a bit of reading last weekend and nothing's stopping me from doing so this weekend too, if I feel like it! It was just a bit of a misunderstanding but nothing was lost, nothing was wrecked because of it! :D 

I hope you get your reading mood back in time for next month's read-a-thon :) 

Totals!

Friday:

The Wonder by Emma Donoghue - 86 pages

Saturday: 

The Wonder - Emma Donoghue - 173 pages (finished)

Murder at the Old Vicarage - Jill McGown - 59 pages

Sunday:

Murder at the Old Vicarage - Jill McGown -171 pages (finished)

Into The Darkest Corner - Elizabeth Haynes - 145 pages

Total: 634 pages read 

Really happy with that! Didn't finish my Lovecraft book, but wasn't in the mood, and got loads of the Haynes done.

It's great when that happens!

It was the same for me yesterday. I read 112 pages and finished Me and You Always by Jill Mansell.

Simply because I didn't let television or the internet get in the way. I was very tired and am still in awe of people who can complete books in one day but it was nice to finish it.

Our 'usual' read-a-thon is coming up this weekend (the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of December). I'm going to try to join, but I haven't been in the reading mood lately so I'm not sure how well it will go. Is anyone else planning to (try to) read a lot this weekend?

I have the Late Late Toy Show on Friday evening, which is the start of Christmas for me, and (in theory) I'm going to see the Coca Cola truck on Sunday, but aside from that I am planning to do as much reading as I can. Might not be my ususal read-a-thon levels, but I'll probably document it here anyway :)

So has anyone made any progress so far?

My progress for Friday:

Friday 02-12-2016

192 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Duizend Monsters, Wat Een Feest! (Il Tenebroso Libro dei Mostrilli)

I read one book on Friday and didn't feel like reading more after it, so I didn't. Not a great read-a-thon day.

My progress for Saturday:

Saturday 03-12-2016

384 pages, Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rozen 4: De Feeën van de Zeven Zeeën (Il Segreto delle Fate degli Oceani)

110 pages, nDurlie, Nic Balthazar - Ben X

28 pages, David Walliams (ill. Tony Ross) - The Slightly Annoying Elephant

27 pages, Liz Pichon - Fluffy and Scruffy: A Tale of Two Kittens

37 pages, Ben Clanton - Rex Wrecks It!

40 pages, Nicola O'Byrne - The Last Book Before Bedtime

191 pages, David Walliams (ill. Quentin Blake) - Mr Stink (Mr Stink)

113 pages, James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts (ill. Laura Park) - Rotschool 1: De Ergste Jaren Van Mijn Leven (Middle School 1: The Worst Years Of My Life)

Total: 930 pages

On Saturday I read 1 illustrated book, 1 graphic novel, 4 picture books, 1 textbook with some illustrations and part of an illustrated book. It was a pretty good read-a-thon day. Once I sat down and started reading, I quite enjoyed it.

I don't think today is going to be that great of a read-a-thon day as I (again) don't feel in the mood to read, but we'll see. I plan to at least finish the book I started yesterday.

I'm not sure if anyone did the read-a-thon besides me, but I hope no one minds if I post about my progress for Sunday.

Sunday 04-12-2016

170 pages, James Patterson and Chris Tebbetts (ill. Laura Park) - Rotschool 1: De Ergste Jaren Van Mijn Leven (Middle School 1: The Worst Years Of My Life)

224 pages, Jory John and Mac Barnett (ill. Kevin Cornell) - De Vreselijke Twee 1: De Vreselijke Twee (The Terrible Two 1: The Terrible Two)

Total: 394 pages

I read 1.5 books on Sunday. Not too bad considering my non-reading-mood, but not as good as earlier read-a-thons.

Total this read-a-thon: 1516 pages, 10 books read

Overall I did better than I thought I would beforehand, though most of that is due to Saturday and the shorter books I read.

I hadn't posted about this yet, but for myself, personally, I'm considering to not necessarily participate in the read-a-thons next year (I will make a topic with the dates though for those who do want to participate). Instead, I will read shorter children's books from the library when I feel like it and read longer adult and YA books when I feel like it, rather than being forced to do certain things once a month and then read longer books the rest of the month. I will just go to the library when I feel like it (and when I'm able to) and read the books I feel like reading, when I feel like reading them. If it turns out I miss the read-a-thon I could still decide to go back to doing it, but for now the plan is for myself not to participate in January's one. I don't mind cheering anyone else on though if anyone else decides to do the January read-a-thon (current schedule: 6, 7, 8 January). I will post a new topic with the new dates in the beginning of next year (or near the end of this year).

I don't think anyone *expects* there to always be people doing it, so you definitely shouldn't be putting pressure on yourself to participate. I hope to do plenty next year, even if nobody else does! I was too busy/stressed this weekend to participate, unfortunately. Not sure yet about January's one, will depend on where I am in terms of moving house.

Yes, nobody's expecting you, Athena, or anyone else for that matter to take part in the read-a-thon every month. I hope you don't think that just because you came up with the idea, you are compelled to participate each month. You should do the read-a-thon only if you feel like it, and not force it! Force-reading is no fun :unsure: You should have fun with your reading, aye? :)  :friends3:   

Like Nollaig said, I'm sure there'll be people who want to do the read-a-thon, even all by themselves in their lonesome, if no one else will participate! I know I would :) 

I don't think anyone *expects* there to always be people doing it, so you definitely shouldn't be putting pressure on yourself to participate. I hope to do plenty next year, even if nobody else does! I was too busy/stressed this weekend to participate, unfortunately. Not sure yet about January's one, will depend on where I am in terms of moving house.

Thanks Noll :). That makes sense, I wish you the best of luck with that.

Yes, nobody's expecting you, Athena, or anyone else for that matter to take part in the read-a-thon every month. I hope you don't think that just because you came up with the idea, you are compelled to participate each month. You should do the read-a-thon only if you feel like it, and not force it! Force-reading is no fun :unsure: You should have fun with your reading, aye? :)  :friends3:   

Like Nollaig said, I'm sure there'll be people who want to do the read-a-thon, even all by themselves in their lonesome, if no one else will participate! I know I would :)

Thanks Frankie :). I agree, reading should be fun.

This weekend I read... Not much. 

Finished The Diary of a Young Girl (150 pages or something like that) and read around 150 more of Kafka.

Sorry to hear your reading weekend wasn't totally successful.