Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I will start read-a-thon-ing one day early, because I've finished my book and I'm eager to get started tomorrow, rather than reading something short for a day and a half (I don't want to read too much just before the read-a-thon, so the book would have to be short). And since there aren't many people joining me, I don't think anyone would really mind if I started early? I might finish my planned books before the weekend is over, I'll see then if I feel like reading some books of my own or what I want to do. But I don't want to spend a day not reading much, I'm really in the reading mood, so I think I'll start tomorrow instead of on Friday.

I think I will start read-a-thon-ing one day early, because I've finished my book and I'm eager to get started tomorrow, rather than reading something short for a day and a half

Good idea!  It would be a shame to waste good reading time when you are in the mood to get started on your read-a-thon.  I will definitely be joining in, but haven't chosen any books yet; I prefer just choosing what I am in the mood for rather than too much planning ahead :-)

At the moment I'm feeling like having a lazy weekend, and feeling pretty read-a-thon-y. I have a book of short stories I want to finish, and I'm just starting a novel now. So I might count tonight as my first night and do an extra long read-a-thon this weekend.

So far my plans are:

Finish It Came From The North - various authors

Read The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah

Read an Irish Counties Challenge short book (200-250 pages), undecided which title yet.

If I can do all that by Sunday I'll be very pleased.

Good idea!  It would be a shame to waste good reading time when you are in the mood to get started on your read-a-thon.  I will definitely be joining in, but haven't chosen any books yet; I prefer just choosing what I am in the mood for rather than too much planning ahead :-)

That makes sense :). I'm like that usually, except with read-a-thons (I don't want to spend several hours wondering about what to read next :P), and if I have library loans. But with my own books, I usually have to be in the mood for a certain book and I won't know until I've finished the previous book. I hope you enjoy your reading time :).

At the moment I'm feeling like having a lazy weekend, and feeling pretty read-a-thon-y. I have a book of short stories I want to finish, and I'm just starting a novel now. So I might count tonight as my first night and do an extra long read-a-thon this weekend.

So far my plans are:

Finish It Came From The North - various authors

Read The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah

Read an Irish Counties Challenge short book (200-250 pages), undecided which title yet.

If I can do all that by Sunday I'll be very pleased.

I hope you enjoy these three books, and that you will be able to read them all :).

I'm calling it a day with 200 pages read for Thursday, May 31st.

Well done, I'm glad you had fun :).

My progress for yesterday:

Thursday 31-03-2016

40 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 41: Inge Hakt De Knoop Door (The Babysitter's Club 41: Mary Anne vs. Logan) (re-read)

45 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - De Babysittersclub 42: Opgepast, Jessie! (Jessi and the Dance School Phantom) (re-read)

1h 20 mins, 130 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 22: De Cock en de Dood van een Clown

1h 15 mins, 191 pages, Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Verbazingwekkende Verenigde Staten (Horrible Histories: The USA) (re-read)

15 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 4: Het Geheimzinnige Geschrift van Nostradamuis (Il Misterioso Manuscritto di Nostratopus)

15 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 20: Prettige Vakantie, Stilton?! (L'hai Voluta la Vacanza, Stilton?)

Total: 4h 30 mins, 825 pages

So I read the 4 books I planned to read, then I read two of my library loans. After that I felt a bit too tired to read more, so I stopped. Overall quite a good day of the read-a-thon.

I wish those of you who are joining in, happy reading today and this weekend :):readingtwo:.

Heaven's sake, I meant March 31st, not May 31st. I don't know if I can blame spell check for that one :P

I'm calling it a day with 200 pages read for Thursday, May 31st.

I am off work today and Sunday and will be joining in :) Have a good reading weekend all!

You too :)

Heaven's sake, I meant March 31st, not May 31st. I don't know if I can blame spell check for that one :P

You know, I didn't even notice :blush2:. Shows how sleepy I was this morning :P.

I started last night and read 90 pages of The Nightingale. Just making a note of it here so I can tot everything up at the end!

Goals:

• Read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah - in progress
  • Finish It Came From The North by various - in progress
  • Read Time Past & Time Present by Deirdre Madden - not started

I don't usually manage to start on a Friday, but made a wee beginning with The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam - just 70 pages including introduction but a lovely illustrated edition which meant I spent as much time looking at the pictures as reading!

Good reading, everyone :-)

I'm hoping to join you guys tomorrow. (Or later tonight) Have nothing else planned for the weekend :smile2: 

I hope everyone's enjoying the read-a-thon! :smile2:

I hope you have an enjoyable read-a-thon too :).

I started last night and read 90 pages of The Nightingale. Just making a note of it here so I can tot everything up at the end!

Goals:

• Read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah - in progress
  • Finish It Came From The North by various - in progress
  • Read Time Past & Time Present by Deirdre Madden - not started

Well done, I'm glad you are enjoying the book so far. I hope you get to complete all three goals.

I don't usually manage to start on a Friday, but made a wee beginning with The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam - just 70 pages including introduction but a lovely illustrated edition which meant I spent as much time looking at the pictures as reading!

Good reading, everyone :-)

Happy reading to you too :)!

Here's my progress for yesterday.

Friday 01-04-2016

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 46: Goud in Gevaar (Attacco Alla Statua d'Oro!)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Groene Reeks 1: Het Kasteel van de 100 Verhalen (Il Castello Delle 100 Storie)

30 mins, 90 pages, Cornelia Funke - Emma and the Blue Genie (Emma und der blaue Dschinn)

1h, 167 pages, Sabine Zett - Hugo 1: Hugo's Geniale Wereld (Hugo's geniale Welt)

1h 10 mins, 221 pages, Geoff Rodkey - The Tapper Twins 1: The Tapper Wins Go To War (With Each Other)

50 mins, 179 pages, Tommy Greenwald and J. P. Coovert - Otto-Jan 2: Otto-Jan zegt JA tegen Slijmen (Charlie Joe Jackson 2: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit)

Total: 4h 10 mins, 913 pages

I didn't read as long as on Thursday. I spent some more time doing other things. But when I calculated the totals, it turned out I read more than I thought I had. Today I will continue with Otto-Jan zegt JA tegen Slijmen, there's about 1/3rd of the book left I estimate.

Great progress, Athena :) 

I managed 32 pages of The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine last night. Hoping to continue today and finish the novel as the book is due back to the library ... a few days ago :blush: :blush: 

Friday, April 1st:

256 pages in The Girl From Krakow (finished)

A 16 pages of a Kindle Single by S. King called A Face in the Crowd (finished)

And 75 pages of The Steford Wives by Ira Levin (1/2 way)

347 pages total for Friday.

Thurs 1st: 90 pages of The Nightingale

Fri 2nd: 130 pages of The Nightingale

Sat 3rd: 220 pages of The Nightingale and 12 pages of It Came From The North

Goals:

• Read The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah - complete!
  • Finish It Came From The North by various - almost done
  • Read Time Past & Time Present by Deirdre Madden - started

Gonna be really pushing my self to read an entire book today but it's only 208 pages compared with the 220 I read of half a book yesterday! 

Great progress, Athena :) 

I managed 32 pages of The Mystery of the Clockwork Sparrow by Katherine Woodfine last night. Hoping to continue today and finish the novel as the book is due back to the library ... a few days ago :blush: :blush: 

Thanks Frankie :).

Whoops :blush2:!

I have a quiet weekend this weekend, so I'm joining in too. I don't have any goals except to read more than I usually would on a weekend, which won't be difficult! :)

I hope you have (had?) a great time reading :).

Friday, April 1st:

256 pages in The Girl From Krakow (finished)

A 16 pages of a Kindle Single by S. King called A Face in the Crowd (finished)

And 75 pages of The Steford Wives by Ira Levin (1/2 way)

347 pages total for Friday.

Great progress :).

My progress for yesterday:

Saturday 02-04-2016

25 mins, 90 pages, Tommy Greenwald and J. P. Coovert - Otto-Jan 2: Otto-Jan zegt JA tegen Slijmen (Charlie Joe Jackson 2: Charlie Joe Jackson's Guide to Extra Credit)

15 mins, 47 pages, Jacques Vriens (ill. Annet Schaap) - Meester Jaap: Meester Jaap gaat naar het Kinderboekenmuseum

15 mins, 76 pages, Marion van de Coolwijk (ill. Harmen van Straaten) - De Griezelfilm

15 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 19: Het Kasteel van Markies Kattebas (Il Castello di Zampaciccia Zanzamiao)

20 mins, 128 pages, Oscar Tortuga - Oscar Tortuga - Wie Wint Geronimo? (om op te eten...) (Sei Ciccia per gatti Geronimo Stilton!)

50 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 14: Vijf Prima Ballerina's (Mistero Dietro le Quinte)

Total: 2h 20 mins, 693 pages

Yesterday I didn't spend a lot of time reading. I instead spent time doing other things. I won't be continuing with the read-a-thon today, because I've read almost all of the books I planned to read. I plan on doing other things today (though I might read a little bit).

Total this read-a-thon: 11h 0 mins, 2431 pages, 17 books read

Overall I didn't read as much as during other read-a-thons, but I did finish a lot of the books I planned, and I'm happy about that.

I look forward to hear how today goes for those who are joining in :).

I read some of A Strange Manuscript Found in a Copper Cylinder and started Jeeves in the Offing by PG Wodehouse. I might have an early night so I can read a little more before the day ends. :)

I'm actually just about halfway through the book I set myself for today. This read-a-thon thing is fantastic (I say this every time, I know) but it's such great motivation to take 48 or 72 hours or however long and just say, 'right, read as much as possible'. I'm three books ahead of schedule according to Goodreads and by the end of today I should be 4-5 books ahead, which is perfect for when I need a break from reading, or for when life just gets in the way for a bit.

I might even up my goals for this read-a-thon and start another book. Not sure what, yet, though!

Thurs 21st: 90 pages of The Nightingale

Fri 1st: 130 pages of The Nightingale

Sat 2nd: 220 pages of The Nightingale and 12 pages of It Came From The North

Sun 3rd: 208 pages of Time Present and Time Past by Deirdre Madden

Totals: 2 books and 1 short story totalling 648 pages read.

Not my best read-a-thon ever but I did actually stop reading at around 4pm today. 

I'm about to start my next book but I'm not going to include it in the read-a-thon. I'm happy enough with what I managed. :)

My most successful read a thon yet! I did 4 days.

Thursday March 31st and Friday April 1st-

The Girl From Krakow by Alex Rosenberg (454 pages)

A Face in the Crowd by Stephen King and Stewart O'nan (16 pages)

Saturday April 2nd-

The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin (148 pages)

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin (257 pages)

Sunday April 3rd-

This Perfect Day by Ira Levin (100 pages of 320)

Total: 975 pages. :):)