Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My reading yesterday:

Friday 05-02-2016

1h, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 37: Betty En De Onmogelijke Liefde (The Babysitter's Club 37: Dawn and the Older Boy) (re-read)

1h, 135 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club 38: Kristy's Mystery Admirer (re-read)

1h 20 mins, 136 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 18: De Cock En De Moord In Extase

1h 30 mins, 159 pages, Terry Deary - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Rare Romeinen (Horrible Histories: Rotten Romans) (re-read)

Total: 4h 50 mins, 554 pages

Yesterday was a pretty good reading day for me, I read the 4 books I planned on reading that day. I hope today and tomorrow will be successful too.

That's awesome!

I hope to finish One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

I think you will appreciate this read :)

Yesterday, I only managed 100 pages in Eye in the Sky.  I finished it this morning.  Satisfying read!

Edited by Anna Begins

I was working yesterday, and out for quite a lot of today but am enjoying packing in all the reading I can!  I collect Folio Society books but recently have been buying way more than I have been reading, so I decided to focus on some of my unread purchases this weekend.  So far I have read The Call of the Wild by Jack London, and most of Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote; I should finish it tonight.  I haven't decided which book to choose for tomorrow, I might go for another short one try for three in three days :-)

No reading achieved yesterday, far too busy all day at work. I will manage to get some reading in this afternoon though and I hope to finish One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

I hope you like the rest of the book :)

Yesterday, I only managed 100 pages in Eye in the Sky.  I finished it this morning.  Satisfying read!

I'm glad you enjoyed it :).

I was working yesterday, and out for quite a lot of today but am enjoying packing in all the reading I can!  I collect Folio Society books but recently have been buying way more than I have been reading, so I decided to focus on some of my unread purchases this weekend.  So far I have read The Call of the Wild by Jack London, and most of Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote; I should finish it tonight.  I haven't decided which book to choose for tomorrow, I might go for another short one try for three in three days :-)

I'm glad you're enjoying your reading :).

My progress for yesterday:

Saturday 06-02-2016

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 34: Ik Ben Geen Supermuis! (Non Sono un Supertopo!)

30 mins, 160 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 65: Een Magische Kerst (La Magica Notte degli Elfi)

45 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Tom Sawyer (Le Aventure di Tom Sawyer)

1h 25 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 5 (Viaggio nel Tempo 5)

1h 5 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia III (Terzo Viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia)

Total: 4h 5 mins, 1280 pages

I didn't read as long as I thought I did. I could have read more time-wise, but I was too tired :(. Still, I got through most of the books I had planned for today (there is one leftover, I will read it today instead, though it probably does mean I won't be able to read all the books I planned to read today). I did enjoy myself though, while I was feeling okay enough to read.

I finished off One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich and made a good start on The Spy Who Loved Me last night as well. One of the books is on my Kindle so I don't have a page count but i'd estimate it as about 150 pages read yesterday.

Friday: ........30 pages of How To Look for a Lost Dog by Ann M. Martin

Saturday: ....52 pages of How To Look for a Lost Dog by Ann M. Martin (finishing the novel) 

....................181 pages of Christmas on Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand

Sunday:........76 pages of Christmas on Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand (finishing the novel) 

Edited by frankie

I didn't read as long as I thought I did. I could have read more time-wise, but I was too tired :(. Still, I got through most of the books I had planned for today (there is one leftover, I will read it today instead, though it probably does mean I won't be able to read all the books I planned to read today). I did enjoy myself though, while I was feeling okay enough to read.

Aw, that's a shame Athena; hope you feel a bit better today :empathy:   I'm glad you enjoyed your reading when you were feeling up to it though.

I decided on The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken as my third book, reading something with a wintery theme at this time of year appealed to me.  The Call of the Wild was a bit wintery too, but not all the way through.

Well done everyone on your totals.  :)

Here are mine for the weekend.

Friday

The Blue Lagoon by Henry De Vere Stacpoole - Chapters ? to end - 150 pages (I wrote down the number of pages on Friday but not where I started - I started the book on Thursday)

Meadowland by John Lewis-Stempel - January and February (it's in months instead of chapters) - 35 pages

The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp - Chapters 1 to 23 - 135 pages

Total - 320 pages

Saturday

The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp  - Chapters 24 to 115 (end) – 497 pages

Total 497 pages

Sunday

Hard Times by Charles Dickens – Book 1, Chapters 1 to 16 and Book 2, Chapters 1 and 2 – 118 pages

Total – 118 pages

Grand total Friday to Sunday = 935 pages

I am *so* chuffed with this! :D I think I’ll find it impossible to emulate because I’ve been poorly, and therefore have been stuck indoors where I would usually be out and about.  I am feeling slightly better today and did some household chores, hence my smaller total today.

Saturday 06-02-2016

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 34: Ik Ben Geen Supermuis! (Non Sono un Supertopo!)

30 mins, 160 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 65: Een Magische Kerst (La Magica Notte degli Elfi)

45 mins, 224 pages, Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Tom Sawyer (Le Aventure di Tom Sawyer)

1h 25 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 5 (Viaggio nel Tempo 5)

1h 5 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia III (Terzo Viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia)

Total: 4h 5 mins, 1280 pages

Hope you're feeling better today! That is some good going, Athena!

Friday: ........30 pages of How To Look for a Lost Dog by Ann M. Martin

Saturday: ....52 pages of How To Look for a Lost Dog by Ann M. Martin (finishing the novel) 

....................181 pages of Christmas on Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand

Sunday:........76 pages of Christmas on Nantucket by Elin Hilderbrand (finishing the novel) 

Well done everyone on your totals.  :)

Here are mine for the weekend.

Friday

The Blue Lagoon by Henry De Vere Stacpoole - Chapters ? to end - 150 pages (I wrote down the number of pages on Friday but not where I started - I started the book on Thursday)

Meadowland by John Lewis-Stempel - January and February (it's in months instead of chapters) - 35 pages

The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp - Chapters 1 to 23 - 135 pages

Total - 320 pages

Saturday

The Rabbit Factory by Marshall Karp  - Chapters 24 to 115 (end) – 497 pages

Total 497 pages

Sunday

Hard Times by Charles Dickens – Book 1, Chapters 1 to 16 and Book 2, Chapters 1 and 2 – 118 pages

Total – 118 pages

Grand total Friday to Sunday = 935 pages

I am *so* chuffed with this! :D I think I’ll find it impossible to emulate because I’ve been poorly, and therefore have been stuck indoors where I would usually be out and about.  I am feeling slightly better today and did some household chores, hence my smaller total today.

That's good going guys! How did you enjoy Hard Times, Janet? Hope you carrying on feeling better!

Lots of great stats!

I've had a fairly read-a-thon-y day today, reading over 200 pages of About Sisterland by Martina Devlin. Planning on reading a bit more before sleep. Decent going for one day's worth of read-a-thon-ing!

Just finished The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, so my totals are:

The Call of the Wild   -   91 pages

Breakfast at Tiffany's   -   107 pages

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase   -   185 pages

making a grand total of 383 pages.  Not a huge amount, but very satisfying having finished three short books, none of which I had read before.  And, most important of all, I really enjoyed them!

Hope everybody else enjoyed their reading too; I'm looking forward to next month's already! :smile:

Wow, lots of people participated :)! Well done everyone, I'm glad we all had a fun time reading :)!

Aw, that's a shame Athena; hope you feel a bit better today :empathy:   I'm glad you enjoyed your reading when you were feeling up to it though.

Hope you're feeling better today! That is some good going, Athena!

Thanks :). I did feel a bit better yesterday. Later in the day though I got really tired again, but then I rested and a while later I felt okay enough again to read a bit more.

Sunday 07-02-2016

1h 10 mins, 384 pages, Thea Stilton - De Zeven Rozen 1: Het Betoverde Meer (Il Segreto delle Fate del Lago)

40 mins, 181 pages, Luc Embrechts and Eric Bouwens - Vampierzootje 2: De Spiegel van Toetan-thep

1h, 264 pages, Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 8: Yes! No. (Maybe...)

30 mins, 190 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels 1: Kristy's Geweldige Idee (Kristy's Great Idea)

35 mins, 160 pages, Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 2: Superschapen en Wilde Konijnen (Mein Lotta-Leben 2: Wie Belämmert Ist Das Denn?)

1h, 172 pages, Sabine Zett (ill. Ute Krause) - Hugo 4: Very Important Hugo (Dutch)

Total: 4h 55 mins, 1351 pages

In total I did read quite a bit in the end yesterday. Usually good read-a-thon days mean 4-5 hours of reading, and I read for almost 5 hours yesterday. I finished the books I planned to read, so that was good. I had a dip in the afternoon, when I spent a few hours feeling very tired. I felt better after resting, and then read some more.

Total this read-a-thon: 15h 5 mins, 3433 pages, 16.5 books read (4 days)

Overall my total is pretty good. The first day, Thursday, wasn't so great (it didn't help that the second book I read on that day, Roddy Doyle - Dead Man Talking, was pretty terrible in my opinion). But Friday, Saturday and Sunday I read a lot of great books :). I had lots of fun!

Just finished The Wolves of Willoughby Chase, so my totals are:

The Call of the Wild   -   91 pages

Breakfast at Tiffany's   -   107 pages

The Wolves of Willoughby Chase   -   185 pages

making a grand total of 383 pages.  Not a huge amount, but very satisfying having finished three short books, none of which I had read before.  And, most important of all, I really enjoyed them!

Hope everybody else enjoyed their reading too; I'm looking forward to next month's already! :smile:

I'm glad you liked Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I did too when I read it.  Much different than In Cold Blood ;)  Looking forward to seeing you in March :)

I sort of "dropped out" of the read a thon on Saturday morning.  But I did start and complete one book, Philip K. Dick's Eye in the Sky (244 pages in 2.5 days, as I started on Thursday).

I'm glad you liked Breakfast at Tiffany's.  I did too when I read it.  Much different than In Cold Blood ;)  Looking forward to seeing you in March :)

I sort of "dropped out" of the read a thon on Saturday morning.  But I did start and complete one book, Philip K. Dick's Eye in the Sky (244 pages in 2.5 days, as I started on Thursday).

I have In Cold Blood on my TBR pile, it will certainly be very, very different!  I enjoyed Breakfast at Tiffany's even more than I expected; although the Holly Golightly character has some differences in the book, it was still Audrey Hepburn's voice I kept hearing in my head.  In the introduction it mentioned that Marilyn Monroe was originally considered for the part but turned it down, it's hard to imagine her in it now.

It's quite satisfying completing a book even if you don't manage as much reading time as you intended, isn't it?  I haven't read any Philip K Dick for a while, although I am watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime just now.  Did you enjoy Eye in the Sky?

I have In Cold Blood on my TBR pile, it will certainly be very, very different!  I enjoyed Breakfast at Tiffany's even more than I expected; although the Holly Golightly character has some differences in the book, it was still Audrey Hepburn's voice I kept hearing in my head.  In the introduction it mentioned that Marilyn Monroe was originally considered for the part but turned it down, it's hard to imagine her in it now.

It's quite satisfying completing a book even if you don't manage as much reading time as you intended, isn't it?  I haven't read any Philip K Dick for a while, although I am watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime just now.  Did you enjoy Eye in the Sky?

I think In Cold Blood is one of the best crime books ever!  I can't imagine MM in that role either, I haven't seen the movie, but all I could envision of Holly was Hepburn's character. 

I tried watching the show, but couldn't get along with some scenes in the beginning episode.  I liked the book though.  Eye in the Sky was great, better the more I think about it.  That's such a great thing, isn't it?  :)

I think I'm going to mark next month's in my calendar so it doesn't creep up on me and I can actually do it properly - I hate missing them.

You make such good progress when you do them!

I agree :)! It was nice so many people joined.

Yep it was! Even though I didn't have much time to talk about everyone's progress... Only recorded mine. But it was fun to see so many people participating! :smile2: I'm looking forward to the next already!! 

I think I'm going to mark next month's in my calendar so it doesn't creep up on me and I can actually do it properly - I hate missing them.

Sounds good :)! I mark them on my calendar too.

Yep it was! Even though I didn't have much time to talk about everyone's progress... Only recorded mine. But it was fun to see so many people participating! :smile2: I'm looking forward to the next already!!

Me too :).

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone will be joining me, but the next read-a-thon is this upcoming Friday, Saturday and Sunday (the 4th, 5th and 6th).

I will post a list of what I'll read, later. I have the stomach flu, so for now I need to go and rest.