Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

Saturday 1/2

On Two Feet and Wings- Abbas Kazerooni 119 pages (finished)

The Lemon Tree- Sandy Tolan 81 pages

Total= 200 pages

It's not often we read the same book around the same time. :D

It's fun, you girls should do it!  I miss the BCF group reads :(

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's fun, you girls should do it!  I miss the BCF group reads :(

Me too - I read lots of books I would never have tried otherwise, and enjoyed reading everyone's different point of view on each month's book.

I seem to have spent most of the time since 1st January sleeping, so only managed a very mini readathon, but did get through the following so far:

- The last 64 pages of Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (been waiting to finish that since it was a group read!)

- The last 152 pages of Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker (tried 3 times to finish this book, I usually love Clive Barker but I just found this one dull)

- 42 pages of The Darkest Day by Tom Wood

- The last 152 pages of Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker (tried 3 times to finish this book, I usually love Clive Barker but I just found this one dull)

I haven't read that one, I am a HUGE Clive Barker fan, really nice guy, I met him twice... sorry it didn't work out so well for you.  Have you ever read his YA book Thief of Always?  I think Imajica was my favorite... which did you like best?

I haven't read that one, I am a HUGE Clive Barker fan, really nice guy, I met him twice... sorry it didn't work out so well for you.  Have you ever read his YA book Thief of Always?  I think Imajica was my favorite... which did you like best?

I have read The Thief of Always - it must have been about 20 years ago so I don't remember anything about it, just that I enjoyed it!  My favourite is  Weaveworld, which was the first one I read, I just loved it.  I have only read Imajica once, and it's on my re-read list, so I'm looking forward to getting back to it some time.

Friday: ... 77 pages of A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig

Saturday: 84 pages of A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig, thus finishing the novel 

............... 36 pages of Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch

Nice! How do you like Summer House with Swimming Pool so far?

I finally finished my massive job and I've just realised that although it's getting late on Sunday night here, it's still early Sunday for y'all, so I can still sort of join in on the read-a-thon! I'm going to get my book...

:)

That sounds good :D

Even though I only got home a few hours ago, it's been a great read-a-thon!

So far I've finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window and Disappeared (I can't remember how much of it was in January but I think about a quarter?).

I also read A Little Life (736 pages) and I'm now 15% done with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.

Well done, I'm glad you had fun :)!

Saturday 1/2

On Two Feet and Wings- Abbas Kazerooni 119 pages (finished)

The Lemon Tree- Sandy Tolan 81 pages

Total= 200 pages

Yay, I'm glad you had fun :)

I seem to have spent most of the time since 1st January sleeping, so only managed a very mini readathon, but did get through the following so far:

- The last 64 pages of Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake (been waiting to finish that since it was a group read!)

- 42 pages of The Darkest Day by Tom Wood

I'm happy to see you back, and that you joined us in the read-a-thon. I'm glad you had fun :)!

If people really miss the group reads, one of you could start a topic and you could agree on all reading the same book?

EDIT: Whoops forgot to post my own progress for yesterday.

Sunday 03-01-2016

35 mins, 116 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 1: Het Dromenlabyrint (Il Labirinto dei Sogni)

20 mins, 98 pages, Bat Pat (Roberto Pavanello) - Bat Pat 13: Skelet in het Bos (Picnic con Mister Ossobuco

55 mins, 217 pages, Jeff Kinney - Diary of a Wimpy Kid 6: Cabin Fever

50 mins, 295 pages, Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 8: Tales from a Not-So-Happily Ever After

45 mins, 269 pages, Liz Pichon - Tom Groot 7: Is dat even Mazzel (of niet?) (Tom Gates 7: A Tiny Bit Lucky)

30 mins, 239 pages, Andy Griffiths (ill. Terry Denton) - The 13-Story Treehouse 1: The 13-Story Treehouse

40 mins, 95 pages, Natasha Farrant - The Diaries of Bluebell Gadsby 1: After Iris

Total: 4h 45 mins, 1329 pages

I had a pretty good reading day yesterday. I spent slightly less time reading than Saturday, but I read a few more pages.

Total this read-a-thon: 13h 35 mins, 3208 pages, 17.5 books read

Overall I'm quite happy with this read-a-thon. I managed to read all of the books I planned to read, and I spent quite a bit of time reading.

Here's how I did in the first read-a-thon of 2016:

Friday: 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett- 168 pages

Saturday: 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett- 14 pages (Finished)

'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn- 107 pages

Sunday: 'Gone Girl' by Gillian Flynn- 190 pages

Total number of pages read: 479

I'm pleased with how much reading I got done. In fact, I think that's the most I've read in any read-a-thon! I think this is because I've had enough time to sit down and read and also I can't seem to put 'Gone Girl' down, it's such a good book! Looking forward to the next read-a-thon  :readingtwo: 

Sunday 1/3

The Lemon Tree- Sandy Tolan 40 pages

1001 Books to Read Before You Die- Various 30 pages

Total 70.

Total for read a thon:  I finished two books and one short story, totaling 536 pages!

I have read The Thief of Always - it must have been about 20 years ago so I don't remember anything about it, just that I enjoyed it!  My favourite is  Weaveworld, which was the first one I read, I just loved it.  I have only read Imajica once, and it's on my re-read list, so I'm looking forward to getting back to it some time.

Oh Weaveworld is wonderful too!  Well done on the read a thon, I'm glad you are liking Gone Girl :)

Unfortunately I'm spending this weekend reading a thesis for work (hey, can I count that as a read? It's 265 pages!), but I'm planning to give myself a couple of days off early in the week, or perhaps next weekend, to do my own mini read-a-thon. I'm so pumped for the new reading year that I don't want to lose momentum before I even really get started (if that makes sense). Have fun everyone! :D

So when's your very own read-a-thon happening? I might like to join you :smile2: If possible. Wednesdays is a bank holiday over here, and the weekend's not too far away... :D :D Yes it's only Monday. 

Yay! I just went and checked the book activity thread and your thread but you don't appear to have posted your thoughts. Hurry up, woman! :P It's not often we read the same book around the same time. :D

Oi! Hold your horses, woman :P:D I'll get to it when I have time!!

Nice! How do you like Summer House with Swimming Pool so far?

I'm not very far in yet, so I don't know... I'm liking the writing, as always, but I still feel like I need to get more into the story before I can really tell what's happening and how I'm feeling about the book. But then again, I find this a very common pattern with Koch's books :) I'll probably love it by the end :D 

If people really miss the group reads, one of you could start a topic and you could agree on all reading the same book?

Seconded! :cool: 

Sunday 1/3

The Lemon Tree- Sandy Tolan 40 pages

1001 Books to Read Before You Die- Various 30 pages

Total 70.

Total for read a thon:  I finished two books and one short story, totaling 536 pages!

You did really well, I'm glad you had fun :).

I'm not very far in yet, so I don't know... I'm liking the writing, as always, but I still feel like I need to get more into the story before I can really tell what's happening and how I'm feeling about the book. But then again, I find this a very common pattern with Koch's books :) I'll probably love it by the end :D

I hope you will love it by the end :D.

I'm happy so many of you participated :)! It was a lot of fun :readingtwo:.

• 4 weeks later...

The upcoming read-a-thon takes place this Friday the 5th, Saturday the 6th and Sunday the 7th. Is anyone excited? I'm really looking forward to it :).

I will be reading:

My own reads:

Roddy Doyle - Dead Man Talking

Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 37: Betty En De Onmogelijke Liefde (The Babysitter's Club 37: Dawn and the Older Boy) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club 38: Kristy's Mystery Admirer (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 18: De Cock En De Moord In Extase

Terry Deary - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Rare Romeinen (Horrible Histories: Rotten Romans) (re-read)

Library Loans (not neccesarily in this order):

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 34: Ik Ben Geen Supermuis! (Non Sono un Supertopo!)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 65: Een Magische Kerst (La Magica Notte degli Elfi)

Geronimo Stilton - De Avonturen van Tom Sawyer (Le Aventure di Tom Sawyer)

Geronimo Stilton - Reis door de Tijd 5 (Viaggio nel Tempo 5)

Luc Embrechts and Eric Bouwens - Vampierzootje 2: De Spiegel van Toetan-thep

Liz Pichon - Tom Gates 8: Yes! No. (Maybe...)

Sabine Zett - Hugo 4: Very Important Hugo (Dutch)

Alice Pantermüller and Daniela Kohl - De Knotsgekke Wereld van Lotte Wirwar 2: Superschapen en Wilde Konijnen (Mein Lotta-Leben 2: Wie Belämmert Ist Das Denn?)

Ann M. Martin - The Baby-Sitters Club Graphic Novels 1: Kristy's Geweldige Idee (Kristy's Great Idea)

+ possibly a few more if I get around to them (reservations at the library)

I will be (hopefully) enjoying:

Gone Again- Doug Johnstone (257 pages)

In the Tunnel- Takamichi Okubo (37 pages)

Stickman 1- Dennis Yates (48 pages)

Stickman 2- Dennis Yates (47 pages)

Stickman 3- Dennis Yates (56 pages)

The cover for Stickman scares me to death!  :hide:

I'm working on Friday but I shall be trying to join in where possible. No real plans but I will probably start on The Spy Who Loved Me.

It'd be nice to have you join us, I hope you enjoy The Spy Who Loved Me :).

I will be (hopefully) enjoying:

Gone Again- Doug Johnstone (257 pages)

In the Tunnel- Takamichi Okubo (37 pages)

Stickman 1- Dennis Yates (48 pages)

Stickman 2- Dennis Yates (47 pages)

Stickman 3- Dennis Yates (56 pages)

The cover for Stickman scares me to death!  :hide:

I looked up those covers, they do look scary! I hope you enjoy all five books you plan to read :).

I looked up those covers, they do look scary! I hope you enjoy all five books you plan to read :).

Thanks!  The stickman with the bloody knife :o  And they are all the same cover, which is kind of freaky as well!

Today I plan on putting books on their shelves, finishing off the other half of my Stilton book, and then start with my read-a-thon reads. I feel there isn't much point of starting something else for what will be left of the day. Please don't feel obliged to also start on Thursday if any of you don't want to or if you can't, do whatever you like :). You can even only join for one day, all is possible :).

EDIT: Whew.. I'm done with putting books on the shelf.. that took me quite some time! I feel exhausted now, but I look forward to some relaxing and reading later this afternoon :).

EDIT2: Well I haven't done that much reading, maybe an hour total :(.

Edited by Athena

I started a day early as well, and got in 50% of Phillip K Dick's Eye in the Sky, 122 pages.

Well done :)! Are you enjoying it? What is this one about? I plan to read more PDK some time, though I don't own this one.

My progress:

Thursday 04-02-2016

40 mins, 149 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 4: De Duistere Kroon (Cronache del Regno della Fantasia: La Corona d'Ombra) (I started this book before the read-a-thon)

35 mins, 99 pages, Roddy Doyle - Dead Man Talking

Total: 1h 15 mins, 248 pages

Unfortunately I didn't end up reading much. I liked the Stilton book, of which I read half during the read-a-thon. The second book I read, Dead Man Talking, I didn't enjoy at all. It was awful. Quite possibly it will be my most disappointing book for February, though there's still plenty left in the month for other bad books.

I hope to read more today, tomorrow and Sunday. I've been very tired though, so I don't know.. we will see. I've been busy enough with not reading much for the past few days (Monday through Wednesday), so I would like to read a lot.

Unfortunately I'm too busy to take part this month. Have fun everyone :)

Sorry to hear that (it makes sense though, when your house stuff going on), I hope you will be able to partcipate another time :).

I haven't done one of these since the very first one!  I'm doing this month's, but only because I'm laid up at the moment with a particularly nasty cold.

I will record today's progress later.  :)

I hope you enjoy your reading :). Sorry to hear about the cold, I hope you feel better soon :flowers2:

Had hoped for a stronger start to the weekend, but I read about 11 pages of War and Peace and 36 pages of Out of the Hitler Time. Still, the weekend is young!

As long as you are enjoying your reading :). I hope you have a great reading weekend!

My reading yesterday:

Friday 05-02-2016

1h, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 37: Betty En De Onmogelijke Liefde (The Babysitter's Club 37: Dawn and the Older Boy) (re-read)

1h, 135 pages, Ann M. Martin - The Babysitter's Club 38: Kristy's Mystery Admirer (re-read)

1h 20 mins, 136 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 18: De Cock En De Moord In Extase

1h 30 mins, 159 pages, Terry Deary - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Rare Romeinen (Horrible Histories: Rotten Romans) (re-read)

Total: 4h 50 mins, 554 pages

Yesterday was a pretty good reading day for me, I read the 4 books I planned on reading that day. I hope today and tomorrow will be successful too.