Read-a-thon - 2016

Athena

It'll be 2016 soon, so here is the 2016 thread for read-a-thons.

The read-a-thons generally always take place (unless we communally decide otherwise) on the first Friday, Saturday and Sunday that all fall in the same month.

The dates for 2016 are (Friday, Saturday, Sunday):

January: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

February: 5th, 6th, 7th

March: 4th, 5th, 6th

April: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

May: 6th, 7th, 8th

June: 3rd, 4th, 5th

July: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

August: 5th, 6th, 7th

September: 2nd, 3rd, 4th

October: 7th, 8th, 9th

November: 4th, 5th, 6th

December: 2nd, 3rd, 4th

The aim is to read a lot during these three days. There are no specific themes, you can read whichever book(s) you like.

We use this thread to discuss our plans for and progress during the read-a-thons.

On occasion the dates don't suit anyone, in that case we decide alltogether when would be the best time for everyone. In the past it's happened that the read-a-thon was held a week earlier or a week later. Usually though we have it on the dates posted above.

Happy reading in 2016 :readingtwo:!

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not really yet in the mindset of read-a-thon-ing just yet, with the New Year starting soon, but I just wanted to remind those who want to participate, that the read-a-thon starts this Friday, January 1rst.

I will be reading:

Sophie Hannah - Pictures or It Didn't Happen

Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 29: Tine En Het Geheimzinnige Dagboek (The Babysitter's Club 29: Mallory and the Mystery Diary) (re-read)

Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 36: Onverwacht Bezoek Voor Jessie (The Babysitter's Club 36: Jessi's Baby-sitter) (re-read)

A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 8: De Cock en de Ontgoochelde Dode

Terry Deary - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Gave Grieken (The Groovy Greeks) (re-read)

Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 5: An Unexpected Wedding

And some of my new library loans:

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 61: Wielrennen is Écht Mijn Sport (La Corsa Piú Pazza d'America!)

Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 66: Het Leven Lijkt een Rodeo (La Vita è un Rodeo)

Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 4: Fantasia IV: Het Drakenei (Viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia 4: Quarto viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia)

Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 1: Het Dromenlabyrint (Il Labirinto dei Sogni)

Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 18: Liefde aan het Hof van de Tsaar (Amore alla Corte degli Zar)

Bat Pat 13: Skelet in het Bos (Picnic con Mister Ossobuco)

Jeff Kinney - Diary of a Wimpy Kid 6: Cabin Fever

Rachel Renée Russell - Dork Diaries 8: Tales from a Not-So-Happily Ever After

Andy Griffiths (ill. Terry Denton) - The 13-Story Treehouse 1: The 13-Story Treehouse

Liz Pichon - Tom Groot 7: Is dat even Mazzel (of niet?) (A Tiny Bit Lucky)

Dr. Seuss - The Sneetches and Other Stories

I probably won't get around to all of these, but I'll just continue after the read-a-thon.

Feel free to post what you think you'll be reading.

Oooh- you will LOVE the Sneeches!  It's a great story, great moral.

I will be reading Nine and a Half Weeks by Elizabeth McNeill and Cornbread by Sean Hammer.

Good to know :D.

I hope you enjoy both of those :).

Thank you for setting up the dates! I really want to do even part of the January one since I'll be on flights - perfect time to read a lot.

You're welcome, I hope you will have a great read-a-thon in January :)!

I'm going to do a 2-day readathon, starting last night after midnight (technically Friday), today, and tonight. Maybe a bit of tomorrow as well before my friend comes over.

I actually stayed up til 7 in the morning reading Follow You Home, and though I'm not sure precisely where I picked it up after midnight, it wasn't that far in so I'm estimating I've read about 300 pages. Have about another 40 to finish the book, and plan to finish Spill Simmer Falter Wither today too.

Happy first read-a-thon of the year everyone!

Day 1 totals: Follow You Home - 335 pages and finished

Spill Simmer Falter Wither - 40 pages and finished

The Mammy - 31 pages

Total: 406 pages

I'm going to do a 2-day readathon, starting last night after midnight (technically Friday), today, and tonight. Maybe a bit of tomorrow as well before my friend comes over.

I actually stayed up til 7 in the morning reading Follow You Home, and though I'm not sure precisely where I picked it up after midnight, it wasn't that far in so I'm estimating I've read about 300 pages. Have about another 40 to finish the book, and plan to finish Spill Simmer Falter Wither today too.

Happy first read-a-thon of the year everyone!

Sounds good :). Well done on doing some reading despite having a bit of a busy weekend. 

Great idea! :) I'm hoping to finish The Wrath and the Dawn by Renee Ahdieh this weekend and start An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir.

I've heard good things about An Ember in the Ashes, I hope you like it :).

Thanks for posting the dates for this year's read-a-thons! I've read 60 pages of 'The Truth' by Terry Pratchett's on day one of this weekend's read-a-thon. Happy reading everyone!

You're welcome, happy reading :)!

Here's my progress for yesterday:

Friday 01-01-2016

55 mins, 123 pages, Sophie Hannah - Pictures or It Didn't Happen

45 mins, 123 pages, Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 29: Tine En Het Geheimzinnige Dagboek (The Babysitter's Club 29: Mallory and the Mystery Diary) (re-read)

45 mins, 124 pages, Ann M. Martin - Babysittersclub 36: Onverwacht Bezoek Voor Jessie (The Babysitter's Club 36: Jessi's Baby-sitter) (re-read)

1h 35 mins, 174 pages, A. C. Baantjer - Baantjer 8: De Cock en de Ontgoochelde Dode

Total: 4h, 544 pages

I got pretty tired in the later afternoon (because of New Year's and the events before it), I could've read more if I hadn't been so (mentally) tired. Instead I spent a while lying down / resting and also 'staring into space'. I hope to read lots more today, but I still feel a bit tired so we'll see.

Unfortunately I'm spending this weekend reading a thesis for work (hey, can I count that as a read? It's 265 pages!), but I'm planning to give myself a couple of days off early in the week, or perhaps next weekend, to do my own mini read-a-thon. I'm so pumped for the new reading year that I don't want to lose momentum before I even really get started (if that makes sense). Have fun everyone! :D

I don't mind if you count it as a read :giggle2:. Good luck, Kylie :). That makes a lot of sense!

Thanks, you're very kind! But I won't count it, if only because seeing it on my book lists for the rest of the year would be extremely depressing. :negative: I love my job, but I like to try and forget each paper as soon as I've finished it. :D

Friday January 1st

Nine and a Half Weeks by Elizabeth McNeill (118 pages)

Cornbread by Sean Hammer (23 pages)

On Two Feet and Wings by Abbas Kazerooni (125 pages)

Total= 266 pages

Thanks, you're very kind! But I won't count it, if only because seeing it on my book lists for the rest of the year would be extremely depressing. :negative: I love my job, but I like to try and forget each paper as soon as I've finished it. :D

x

That makes a lot of sense :). I never counted my university reading myself either (in 2012 and 2013).

Friday January 1st

Nine and a Half Weeks by Elizabeth McNeill (118 pages)

Cornbread by Sean Hammer (23 pages)

On Two Feet and Wings by Abbas Kazerooni (125 pages)

Total= 266 pages

x

Yay! You read a lot :).

My progress for yesterday:

Saturday 02-01-2016

1h 5 mins, 158 pages, Terry Deary (ill. Martin Brown) - Waanzinnig om te Weten: Die Gave Grieken (The Groovy Greeks) (re-read)

10 mins, 22 pages, Susan Hatler - Treasured Dreams 5: An Unexpected Wedding

10 mins, 66 pages, Dr. Seuss - The Sneetches and Other Stories

25 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 61: Wielrennen is Écht Mijn Sport (La Corsa Piú Pazza d'America!)

20 mins, 128 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Geronimo Stilton 66: Het Leven Lijkt een Rodeo (La Vita è un Rodeo)

1h 5 mins, 384 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Fantasia 4: Fantasia IV: Het Drakenei (Viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia 4: Quarto viaggio nel Regno della Fantasia)

40 mins, 224 pages, Thea Stilton - Thea Stilton 18: Liefde aan het Hof van de Tsaar (Amore alla Corte degli Zar)

55 mins, 215 pages, Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 1: Het Dromenlabyrint (Il Labirinto dei Sogni)

Total: 4h 50 mins, 1325 pages

I had a great reading day yesterday, and I really enjoyed myself. Today I don't think I'll read as much as yesterday due to other things I want to do. I will be continuing on with Geronimo Stilton - Ridders van Fantasia 1: Het Dromenlabyrint (Il Labirinto dei Sogni), it's not finished yet.

Friday: ... 77 pages of A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig

Saturday: 84 pages of A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig, thus finishing the novel 

............... 36 pages of Summer House with Swimming Pool by Herman Koch

Edited by frankie

Friday: ... 77 pages of A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig

Saturday: 84 pages of A Boy Called Christmas by Matt Haig, thus finishing the novel 

Yay! I just went and checked the book activity thread and your thread but you don't appear to have posted your thoughts. Hurry up, woman! :P It's not often we read the same book around the same time. :D

I finally finished my massive job and I've just realised that although it's getting late on Sunday night here, it's still early Sunday for y'all, so I can still sort of join in on the read-a-thon! I'm going to get my book...

:)

Even though I only got home a few hours ago, it's been a great read-a-thon!

So far I've finished The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out Of The Window and Disappeared (I can't remember how much of it was in January but I think about a quarter?).

I also read A Little Life (736 pages) and I'm now 15% done with Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.