Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

I realise it's not Wednesday yet, but what they hey:

April 5th: Top SFF Books on Your TBR *Booktube SFF Awards Babble Crossover Topic!*

Author's Note:

--Talk about the science fiction and fantasy books you want to read ASAP!

That's easy - none! 

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not many, obviously the 6th Game of Thrones book , but I've long given up waiting for that one!  The new Charlaine Harris pb should be out soon (Night Shift), can't think of any others, it's not a genre I read a lot of.

This week's topic is: Books That Would Make Good Video Games

Author's Note:
--Since I've been in video game hell (in a good way) for the past year, this topic is timely. Remember, not all video games are action games! The Sims has proven that :smile:

I can't say I've ever thought about this much, but I'll think about it :smile:.

Here are some books I think would make good video games (on top off my head). Not necessarily the books I most want to see as a video game, but all of them would be a lot of fun (of course, they're also some of my favourite books so :P).

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson

The Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson

The Night's Dawn by Peter F. Hamilton or The Commonwealth book series (including the Void books and the Chronicle of the Fallers duology).

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

Magic 2.0 series by Scott Meyer.

Next week's topic is: Favorite LGBTQ+ Reads

Author's Note:
--Talk about your favorite books that feature LGBTQ+ characters or are by LGBTQ+ authors.

I'll think about this for a few days, and if I remember I'll post my list in a couple of days.

I have lots. :)

1.  Maurice by E.M. Forster.  A brave, beautifully written love story with a happy ending.  

2.  Other Voices, Other Rooms by Truman Capote.  Never has a novel set my heart beating so fast towards its conclusion.  Is it really going there?  Yes, it is.  Extraordinary then, and extraordinary now.

3.  The Martin Benson trilogy by Michael Carson:  Sucking Sherbet Lemons, Stripping Penguins Bare, and Yanking Up the YoYo.  Silly, funny, and sweet.  The coming-of-age of teenage Martin Benson.

4.  Queer by William S. Burroughs.  Autobiographical, poignant, and raw.

5.  Skin Lane by Neil Bartlett.  Terrifying, gripping, heartbreaking, exquisite.  Mr. F. says very little, but he's a fascinating, complex character.

A. S. King - Ask the Passengers

Benjamin Alire Sáenz - Aristotle And Dante Discover The Secrets Of The Universe
Becky Albertalli - Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda
Peter Monn - The Before Now And After Then
Chris Manby: I don't want to say which book because the LGBTQ+ part is a spoiler.

I have read some other books that involved LGBTQ+ according to my Book Collector but I can't quite remember what those elements were (though I remember other parts of those novels), so I listed some of my more recent ones of which I remember more of the LGBTQ+ element.

Another noticable book is George by Alex Gino, though I borrowed this from the library and thus it doesn't show up in my Book Collector of course.

There are so many for this topic:-

Sophie Kinsella. I have read a fair few of her books but none of her Shopaholic Series

Jill Mansall. I've enjoyed the two books I have read so far. 

JoJo Moyes. The only author so far who I have given 5 star ratings to the novels I have read

Alistair Reynolds - I've read about three of his books and always found them to be absolutely packed full of interesting sci-fi ideas, while maintaining both a good sense of both fun and realistic characterisation.

John Irving - I read "A prayer for Owen Meany" earlier this read, and found it to be completely engrossing. Some of his other stuff is a must for me this year.

John Connolly  - I picked up my first book by him by accident; I thought I was getting Michael Connolly! Still, it was very enjoyable; a sort of supernatural detective story. Must read more.

On 23 April 2017 at 6:42 PM, Lau_Lou said:

JoJo Moyes. The only author so far who I have given 5 star ratings to the novels I have read

Which Moyes books have you read? I"ve enjoyed almost all of the ones I've read, just a couple of exceptions. Have you tried Kristin Hannah, I find their books are written in a similar style. I have a couple more to read then I'll have read them all.

For me; I want to read more Joseph Monninger, he was a pleasant surprise last year, also Christina Baker Kline and Daphne Du Maurier, I have books from all three on my shelves so there can be no excuse. :)

I actually lied she isn't the only author. Helen Fielding also.

I have read Me Before You, After You and The Last Letter From Your Lover.

I haven't tried her yet shall have to look her up.

I agree with Daphne Du Maurier. It's been over a year since I read Rebecca. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit late in posting last week's topic. Or rather, when I was early, the topics weren't up yet, and I forgot to check it at a later time.

Favorite SFF Cover Art

Author's Note:
-- Show off some of your favorite science fiction and fantasy cover art!

And this week's topic:

Books as Event Themes

Author's Note:
-- It's party season, whether that is high school prom, weddings, or summer holiday events. What books would make a good party/event theme??

• 2 weeks later...

This week's topic is: Summer Reads

Author's Note:
--The weather is heating up (for half of the world), so what books remind you of summer and are your quintessential summer reads?

To me, summer reads are either sort of romantic fluffy or friendship-based books (romcoms / chick-lit type books), books with a summary theme or books in which the main character(s) go(es) on a summer holiday or involve travelling in some way. To make a top 5, I'll have to think about that.

I agree!

something that is lighthearted and hopefully funny.

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos

A Cakeshop In The Garden by Carole Matthews

Bridget Jones series by Helen Fielding

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

I would also say a auto/biography of a favourite comedian because you are bound to have a good laugh with those. 

Joss Stirling and her Savant books seem to slip into my summer / holiday reading quite a bit. I think the pace and stories lend themselves to relaxing escapism.

One book I re read over a number of summers for some reason was Plum Island by Nelson DeMille, an action adventure involving murders and conspiracies. Not exactly fluffy! :)

Light reading........

A hot English summer - When The Green Woods Laugh, HE Bates

A summer holiday - A Breath of French Air, HE Bates

Travelling (holiday) - Mr Finchley Discovers His England - Victor Canning

On 5/16/2017 at 2:56 PM, Chrissy said:

Hello Bel-ami. Good to 'see' you. All's well?

Hello Chrissy - yes thank you!

Just relocated some of my bookshelves and thought of how I hadn't visited the forum for a while - will try to be a more regular visitor!

Hope all is well with you?

1 hour ago, Bel-ami said:

Hello Chrissy - yes thank you!

Just relocated some of my bookshelves and thought of how I hadn't visited the forum for a while - will try to be a more regular visitor!

Hope all is well with you?

Yes thank you. :)

This week's topic is: Favourite Minor Characters

Author's Note:
--Minor characters are less than a sidekick or a side character (but not in our hearts!) Everyone will have a different definition of what makes a minor vs a side character but just as an example, I'd consider Ron and Hermione side characters, while Lavender Brown, Oliver Wood, and Dean Thomas are minor characters. Results may vary so don't get tooooo caught up in it :)

I read Absolute Beginners by Colin MacInnes when I was in my teens, and I loved The Fabulous Hoplite -- as one of the flamboyant minor characters was so nicknamed.  I found him hilarious, and was so disappointed when the film version came out and the character barely made an appearance.

(Related to the latter, I can think of a few minor characters that appeal to me largely because of their film or TV characterisations, and not necessarily as how they were originally written.)

Some minor characters are fascinating because of how little is revealed about them.  Langdale Pike, for example, from the Sherlock Holmes stories.  He is mentioned, I think, precisely once, in a single paragraph, and doesn't have a scrap of dialogue!  And yet, he intrigues so many Holmesians.  Similarly, the character of Mycroft Holmes, Sherlock's brother, who only appears a handful of times throughout the canon.

This week's topic is: Fandoms You Are No Longer In

Author's Note:

--Everyone has those fandoms they used to be super invested in, and now are no longer a part of.

I'm not sure that I was really in any fandoms to be honest, so I'm not quite sure what to reply to that. I like a lot of things, but I can see why they wouldn't appeal to everyone and thus I don't recommend my favourite books (or movies or TV shows or video games) to everyone.