Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

and we don't all read popular YA titles).

Too right!

Top of my list would be:

Jane Austen

The Bronte sisters

Virginia Woolf

William Shakespeare

I'll have a think about others (but I'd like to know what would have happened in Edwin Drood!)

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh this is an easy one!

Chuck Palahniuk

Shelby Foote (deceased)

Ernest Hemingway (deceased)

Tennessee Williams (deceased)

Philip K Dick (deceased)

I'm going for 10:

Philippa Gregory

Ken Burns

Lee Child

Hunter S Thompson

Gore Vidal

Margaret Atwood

Oops- that's 11 :P. I'd also love to have a conversation with Ayn Rand.

Edited by Anna Begins

I wouldn't mind meeting Maggie Steifvater, who's going to be at this conference :).

Otherwise the authors I'd most like to meet, both alive and deceased, would definitely be...

Charles Dickens

Alexandre Dumas

Stephen King

Kate Ross

Iain Pears

Tracy Chevalier

Ayn Rand

Jasper Fforde

LM Montgomery

Donna Tartt

This week's topic is: Characters You Are Most Like

Notes from the new creator (Samantha / ThoughtsOnTomes)

-- Choose characters you are like, not characters you WANT to be like. You can also choose one character trait you share with a particular character. For example, you may not have Hermione's bravery, but you do have her book smarts!

What an interesting question! :smile2: Who's yours, Athena?

I think I've always related to Anastasia Krupnik (the series is written by Lois Lowry), in that I love making lists, I have entertained thoughts of becoming an author, and I think we are both rather introspective, and we are analytical in some respects and also like observing other people. I only wish I had a cool little brother like she does... And I was always envious of her own room, back when I was a teenager and lacked one! 

This is an interesting topic. Hmm...

I am like Hermione from Harry Potter in her propensity for being a rule-follower.

I am like Don Tillman from The Rosie Project with my tendency to over-analyze everything. (Maybe not quite as much as he does, though.)

Resourceful, determined, and hard-working like Laura Ingalls Wilder

Passionate and creative like Jo from Little Women

A bit of a daydreamer and honey-eater like Pooh

Edited by dtrpath27

It's a very interesting question. Great answers, Frankie and DTR :)! I find it hard to think of characters myself. There isn't any one character that fully fits me, but many characters who have autistic traits I share those traits with. I find it hard to remember though what characters are properly like once I've finished the book (is that odd? It happens now and then that I read a book which has a character in it with whom I share a trait, but I find it hard to remember once I've finished the book, I remember more about the plot I guess).

I'm like Hermione from the Harry Potter books by J. K. Rowling, in that I always want to follow the rules.

I'm like Don Tillman from the books by Graeme Simsion, in the sense that I want and need to plan a lot of things, and analyse.

I'm like Ginny from The Kitchen Daughter by Jael McHenry, who needs time to rest after energy draining situations (ie. social gatherings) by going to safe place where there's little outside input.

I'm like Matilda from the book Matilda by Roald Dahl, in that I love to read (albeit not quite the same books as her) and I like to learn things.

I can't think of a 5th one yet, but maybe something will come to my mind later.

Quite interesting :D.

This week's topic is: Summer Reads

Note from the author:

--This can include beach reads, fun reads, or any book you associate with summer for whatever reason!

I generally associate summer reads with either romantic comedy type books ('chicklit'), or books that involve characters going on (summer) holiday or on a road trip. I'll have a think about it.

I didn't get around to answering the last question, but I'd said I'm most like Rebecca from the novel of the same name. I could identify with her lack of self-confidence and uncertainty in social situations, among other things. :)

'Summer reads' makes me think of books that are light reading and shortish, such as Agatha Christie and YA books. I'd generally veer away from anything that's non-fiction, although some autobiographies would fit the bill, I think.

Ha ha Summer makes me think of Ayn Rand, I think I spent a month on The Fountainhead (ok, 23 days)! I think I read Atlas Shrugged and Anthem in the summer too. Thinking about it, I guess I choose long history and philosophy books in summer :P

Ha ha Summer makes me think of Ayn Rand, I think I spent a month on The Fountainhead (ok, 23 days)! I think I read Atlas Shrugged and Anthem in the summer too. Thinking about it, I guess I choose long history and philosophy books in summer :P

I don't remember when I read Fountainhead or Atlas, Anna, but I do remember reading Anthem for a class in high school and it went right over my head! :lol:  I need to re-read it, clearly.

I read anything and everything all year round, really, but when on vacation I usually re-read my favorites.  Like if I'm up at the lake, I want to spend as much time outside as possible doing things, and if I have a new book that I'm loving all I'll want to do is read it! 

So, on my weekends during the summer or my annual 2 week vacation in July I'll read Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy, TwilightThe Shining, or anything by Tracy Chevalier or Iain Pears.

I can only think of the Sookie Stackhouse novels by Charlaine Harris. I've read most of them in the summer, in the balcony of my previous Joensuu apartment :wub: Happy times! :D

Otherwise, no particular authors or novels come up. For me, I associate summer with chick lit and thrillers / detective novels :smile2: And I like reading both! 

Edited by frankie

I just tend to read what I fancy throughout the year, 2 years ago I read Under the Dome whilst on a weeks holiday in Portugal, I suppose for me it is more about mood and levels of concentration as to what I decide to read, at home, on holiday, in winter or in summer. :)

Kylie, sorry to nit-pick but do you mean the 2nd wife from "Rebecca" rather than Rebecca herself, as the second wife is more like  the character you describe?

I go for escapism during holidays, maybe something nice and summery or something that's easy to read and yes, the Sookie Stackhouse books are perfect, although I've read them all now so might read something similar, or maybe a fast-paced thriller.

Being a teacher, my summer reading is often concentrated into the weeks of the summer holidays - the months either side (June/early July, September) are the months which have averaged out as my worst months for reading (especially September). I often save 'big' reads, ones I need to time to sit down and read properly, for then. So, books that represent summer in recent years for me (and are, coincidentally, all 6-star reads) include:

1. The Pursuit of Glory - Tim Blanning
2. Moby Dick - Herman Melville
3. War and Peace - Leo Tolstoy
4. Bleak House - Charles Dickens
5. Virginia Woolf - Hermione Lee

I also like reading about places I'm visiting at the time, or books related to those places; again, recent examples  I've enjoyed (even if not 6-star reads) include:

1. Swiss Watching - Diccon Bewes
2. Miss Jemima's Swiss Journal - Jemima Morrell
3. Findings - Kathleen Jamie
4. To Sea and Back - Richard Shelton
5. The Iron Kingdom - Christopher Clark

Edited by willoyd

This week's topic is: Characters You Defend

Author's Note:

--These are characters you love, but no one else seems to so you are always defending them!

I don't think I really have an answer for this one. Of about half the books I read, I have no idea what anyone else even thinks of them (because I don't know anyone who's read those same books), let alone lots of people. I can't really think of any characters I love, that are hated by lots of people. I don't think I really defend many characters that often. I think this one only works if you have a large bookish social circle. Maybe, as Wednesday approaches, I'll see what people answer to this question, online, and it'll give me an idea.

Maybe someone else has a better idea of what to answer?

Scarlett O'hara :D

Jaime Lannister from Game of Thrones (from the 3rd book onwards)

Mr Rochester from Jane Eyre

Haven't read any Game of Thrones, but the other two, Scarlett and Mr. Rochester definitely fit the bill!