• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These are my ten 10/10 books of 2016

The Nightingale - Kristin Hannah

The Moonfield - Judith Allnatt

Johnny Got His Gun - Dalton Trumbo

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes - Anna McPartlin

The Orphan Train - Christina Baker Kline

The Life Changing Magic of Tidying - Marie Kondo (NF)

Starshine - John Wilcox

We Are All Made of Stars - Rowan Coleman

We Never Asked for Wings - Vanessa Diffenbaugh

The Whole30 - Melissa/Dallas Hartwig (NF)

Edited by chaliepud

My top 5:

The Devil in the Marshalsea by Antonia Hodgson

The Legacy of Elizabeth Pringle by Kirsty Wark

North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell

This Rough Magic by Mary Stewart

When Nights were Cold by Susanna Jones

Edited by Madeleine

I'm not too keen on the topics for this month, but since it's almost Wednesday, here is the topic for this week:

Favorite Fandoms (books, tv, movies, etc)

Personally I can't really think of much to be honest. Wikipedia says:

Fandom is a term used to refer to a subculture composed of fans characterized by a feeling of empathy and camaraderie with others who share a common interest. Fans typically are interested in even minor details of the object(s) of their fandom and spend a significant portion of their time and energy involved with their interest, often as a part of a social network with particular practices (a fandom); this is what differentiates "fannish" (fandom-affiliated) fans from those with only a casual interest.

Which I don't feel applies to anything for me, to be honest. Reading in general, sure, I spend a lot of time on that, but not on any book / series / tv / movies specifically.

"Top 5 Series you want to start next year."

I'm late to this, but here we go... Oh and I'm going to included series that I've already started in the previous years but have put on hold for the time being, but want to be catching up with now:

Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs

Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde

Dexter series by Jeff Lindsay

Grant County series by Karin Slaughter

Will Trent series by Karin Slaughter

Happy to answer it again. :D

House of Leaves by Mark Z Danielewski

The Stranger Beside Me by Ann Rule

Re: HoL: Cool! :o:cool:

Re: TSBM: Awesome :lol:

Perfume -- Patrick Suskind

That's a great one! :yes:

I'm not too keen on the topics for this month, but since it's almost Wednesday, here is the topic for this week:

Favorite Fandoms (books, tv, movies, etc)

Personally I can't really think of much to be honest. Wikipedia says:

Which I don't feel applies to anything for me, to be honest. Reading in general, sure, I spend a lot of time on that, but not on any book / series / tv / movies specifically.

Book related fandom? I have to say the first things that came to mind were Gilmore Girls and The Office (US version) but this is a book thread :lol:

I mean, I love the Harry Potter books but I'm not all that interested in talking about them hours on end and analyzing every single line and thinking of new meanings for everything. 

Actually, now I'm reminded of the two fandom threads I've been a part of on here :lol: The one for Jeffery Deaver and his books (mainly the Lincoln Rhyme books) and the one for the Dexter novels by Jeff Lindsay :D Ah yes, those were the days :lol: Yeah, I guess those two would be my favorite fandoms! 

Edited by frankie

Book related fandom? I have to say the first things that came to mind were Gilmore Girls and The Office (US version) but this is a book thread :lol:

I mean, I love the Harry Potter books but I'm not all that interested in talking about them hours on end and analyzing every single line and thinking of new meanings for everything. 

Actually, now I'm reminded of the two fandom threads I've been a part of on here :lol: The one for Jeffery Deaver and his books (mainly the Lincoln Rhyme books) and the one for the Dexter novels by Jeff Lindsay :D Ah yes, those were the days :lol: Yeah, I guess those two would be my favorite fandoms!

Well, the question says you can pick TV show fandoms too so I think all those count :). Although of course this topic is in the General Book discussions and most questions are about books.

I'm the same with you on the Harry Potter books. I like them a lot but I'm also not interested in analysing each part or anything like that.

I like to talk about books in general a lot, or about some books I or others have read, but there aren't any books I discuss for hours on end with anyone, or where I've memorised every single line. I guess I'm just not like that.

I was waiting for you to come in here and site that :giggle2:

:lol: I'm so predictable, aren't I. 

Well, the question says you can pick TV show fandoms too so I think all those count :). Although of course this topic is in the General Book discussions and most questions are about books.

One way to incorporate the TV series fandom talk to book talk is pointing out that some hardcore Gilmore Girls fans read the books that Rory Gilmore (and some of the other characters) were reading or talking about in the TV series... :blush::giggle: 

One way to incorporate the TV series fandom talk to book talk is pointing out that some hardcore Gilmore Girls fans read the books that Rory Gilmore (and some of the other characters) were reading or talking about in the TV series... :blush::giggle:

That's so true :giggle2:!

While I'm here, I might as well post this week's topic:

Favorite Self-Published Books

To be honest, I don't normally look at whether something is self-published or not. I do have a number of self-published e-books on my Kindle, but out of all the e-books, mostly freebies, I wouldn't know which ones are self-published or not to be honest. Sometimes Amazon doesn't list a publisher, does that mean it's self-published?

^ That made me confused this morning: I panicked that it was Wednesday already, and there I was in bed, thinking it was Tuesday! :lol: 

I don't know if I've ever read a self-published book...

I'm very sorry :blush2::lol:. I thought, rather than making another post tomorrow, I'll just write down the topic now.

I'm pretty sure I have read some, but I really don't know how to be sure they are self-published. The publisher is sometimes missing from Amazon's information, but then I have no idea if that's because it's self-published or not. As for paperbooks.. I don't know if I've read any that are self-published. How would I be able to tell? To be honest, I don't care that much about which publisher has published a book, as long as all books by the same author, particularly within the same series, the cover design and size are the same.

There are quite a few authors I like that started out independently publishing their own work.  Andy Weir began writing The Martian as a serial on his website along with several short stories.  Hugh Howey became published because of his following of self publish works.  And lastly, Sean Platt and David Wright were self published, developed a cult following and were published.   

I've just thought of Linda Gillard! She's a self-published author I'll definitely read books by. I've read her Emotional Geology which I absolutely loved, but that one was published by Transita, it was her debut novel I believe. Later on, however, she's self-published at least House of Silence. I really ought to get to reading the two novels by her that I have on my TBR pile! 

Oh yes Linda is a shamefully under-rated author.  I first came across her on another book forum and we all started buying her books, at that time she was self-publishing but I think you can get most of her books through Amazon now, they're the only ones who seem to stock her more recent novels.  Why oh why won't a publisher take her on?

This is a very interesting question! A very difficult one, though. The things that come to mind can't be described in just one word... For example, 'a book about books' :D The only one word that comes to mind that will definitely pique my interest (but I'll read the rest of the blurb, I wouldn't buy just based on one particular word, whatever it was), is 'psychological'. If it's connected to the word 'thriller', great :D But it can be some other type of psychological thing, too. 

This is a really tricky question! :D I'd love to see if anyone can throw in some buzz words without any problems. 

I don't know if it counts as buzzwords, but it annoys me when a book has only just been published, and is labelled the number 1 bestseller as soon as it comes out.  Or, even worse, and this is happening with films as well, something is tagged book/film of the year - I've seen several ads recently with this claim, and we're not even out of January yet!

This is a very interesting question! A very difficult one, though. The things that come to mind can't be described in just one word... For example, 'a book about books' :D The only one word that comes to mind that will definitely pique my interest (but I'll read the rest of the blurb, I wouldn't buy just based on one particular word, whatever it was), is 'psychological'. If it's connected to the word 'thriller', great :D But it can be some other type of psychological thing, too. 

This is a really tricky question! :D I'd love to see if anyone can throw in some buzz words without any problems.

That's a great answer :)!

I don't know if it counts as buzzwords, but it annoys me when a book has only just been published, and is labelled the number 1 bestseller as soon as it comes out.  Or, even worse, and this is happening with films as well, something is tagged book/film of the year - I've seen several ads recently with this claim, and we're not even out of January yet!

That is annoying, I don't understand it either. You can't say something is "the best of this year" until the year is over, something else could still come out later in the year and be more enjoyable.

There something about a novel being described as whimsical that peeks my interest.  I guess that's not exactly a buzzword, but it works for me.

I say it counts :yes:!

EDIT: Oh while I'm here, I'll post tomorrow's topic:

Disappointing eye candy (books that looked beautiful, but were awful).

Edited by Athena

That's a difficult one!! :unsure: (Although I have one in mind... The Little Paris Bookshop by Nina George. But I've never finished the novel. I abandoned it last night after 70 melodramatic and boring pages. I don't know, maybe the Finnish translation might work better... But I didn't like it at all!! And I loved the book cover and I also wanted to love the book :(