Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something that also bugs me sometimes, is when one or multiple excerpts take up a lot of space in a book. The book I'm currently reading (City of Ashes, US edition), has two excerpts from books by the author, and a few pages of ads with books from other authors (I also have UK editions in this series, they don't have as many excerpts). I think in total it's about 50 pages, or ~10%. In a Kindle book I find this annoying too, as you think you still have ie. 20% left of the book but then the last 15% turns out to be an excerpt. It really annoys me because you can't easily see it coming in a Kindle book. And then you think you're buying an 80-page book (from Amazon's page), but it's actually only 50 pages and the rest is excerpts (I have had it happen once that only 30% of the e-book, was actually the short story, the rest was excerpts).

I never read excerpts, because usually they make me want to read that book or get me into it when I had in fact another read planned or may not even own the book yet and then have to go out and find it somewhere. I don't like cliffhangers, so I don't usually read excerpts at the end of books. I do sometimes skim through a Kindle sample online if I'm thinking about buying a specific book, but I only skim so I don't get too into it. I tend to buy books a while before I read them, I like looking forward to having that book to read, looking at it on my shelf (or on my Kindle, but mostly on shelves).

I also hate it when they randomly change the style of covers.  I understand why, but I like it when my covers all match!

Ugh - I bought the latest book by Children's author Katherine Woodfine yesterday and it's been changed. I Tweeted:

@followtheyellow bought 'Painted Dragon' yesterday. I'm a little twitchy that my cover says 'The Sinclair's Mysteries' and doesn't match...

and she said:

Yes - @EgmontUK have given the series a new look! Matching versions of #ClockworkSparrow & #JewelledMoth should be available soon.

Ugh.  :(  It's just a horrid ploy to sell more copies.  At least the cover design is similar, I guess.

The annoying thing is that her website shows the book with the matching wording.

Ugh - I bought the latest book by Children's author Katherine Woodfine yesterday and it's been changed.

Awww :(, it's not nice at all that it's been changed.

This week's topic is: Favorite Non-Written Novels

Author's Note:

--This was a hard topic to name, but this is about all books that are not 'written' novels! So graphic novels, comics, manga, audiobooks, etc. Shed some light on books in other forms.

My current favourite graphic novels/comics:

1.  Locke & Key by Joe Hill

2.  Beautiful Darkness by Fabien Vehlmann

3.  Enigma by Peter Milligan

4.  Good-Bye, Chunky Rice by Craig Thompson

5.  The Arrival by Shaun Tan

I also really enjoy the superhero Midnighter, so any comic series that features him is a win for me. 

In no particular order:

1. Locke & Key by Joe Hill

2. Preacher by Garth Ennis & Steve Dillon

3. Maus by Art Spiegelman

4. Sin City by Frank Miller

5. Sandman by Neil Gaiman

6. The Walking Dead by Robert Kirkman (so much better than the tv show)

7. Calvin & Hobbes by Bill Watterson (if I can add this  ;) )

This week's topic is: Books to Get You Out of a Reading Slump

Author's Note:

--Winter is a hard season for a lot of people and many of us are slumpy. Let's talk about some books that are great for getting you out of a slump!

I've been lucky enough to not have a slump in my reading for some time now. If I did, I think I would gravitate towards something I'd read before and enjoyed. So probably Stephen King short stories or maybe The wind in the willows; a particular favourite of mine for times when the outside world gets a bit too much for me.

This week's topic is: Books to Get You Out of a Reading Slump

Author's Note:

--Winter is a hard season for a lot of people and many of us are slumpy. Let's talk about some books that are great for getting you out of a slump!

What a great topic !   :D 

I`d go for any new book by a favourite author ( Jasper Fforde, especially ) and mystery rereads ( Ngaio Marsh`s Death and the Dancing Footmen, Dorothy L Sayers` Gaudy Night  )  

What a great topic !   :D

I`d go for any new book by a favourite author ( Jasper Fforde, especially ) and mystery rereads ( Ngaio Marsh`s Death and the Dancing Footmen, Dorothy L Sayers` Gaudy Night  )  

For me it would be a favourite author's new book for a sight wobbly slump, or an old favourite by a much loved author. Strangely enough, Mr Fforde would be in my top five, as would Dorothy L Sayers, with Gaudy Night one of my top books by her!

Angie Sage and her Septimus Heap series would be another, as would SM Reine with her Descent and Ascension series.

For me it would be a favourite author's new book for a sight wobbly slump, or an old favourite by a much loved author. Strangely enough, Mr Fforde would be in my top five, as would Dorothy L Sayers, with Gaudy Night one of my top books by her!

Angie Sage and her Septimus Heap series would be another, as would SM Reine with her Descent and Ascension series.

Snap !  :giggle2:  Off to look up the other books you mentioned. :)

Edited by Little Pixie

For me it would be .... an old favourite by a much loved author. Strangely enough, Mr Fforde would be in my top five, as would Dorothy L Sayers, with Gaudy Night one of my top books by her!

Reminds me to reread some Dorothy L Sayers! Like you I really enjoy her writing and characters.

I go for old favourites like Gerald Durrell, Mary Wesley, Lilian Beckwith etc or read something light and undemanding with a feel-good factor. I'm going through a slumpy patch at the moment and have happily read two children's books, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Goodnight, Mr Tom.

Reminds me to reread some Dorothy L Sayers! Like you I really enjoy her writing and characters.

I go for old favourites like Gerald Durrell, Mary Wesley, Lilian Beckwith etc or read something light and undemanding with a feel-good factor. I'm going through a slumpy patch at the moment and have happily read two children's books, Bedknobs and Broomsticks and Goodnight, Mr Tom.

I read Lilian Beckwith as a teenager - lovely, funny books. :)