Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To read more, preferably the books I already own and not buying too many more, had a crazy year last year in that respect!!

Stick to the healthy eating, Paleo style, I know I feel better when I do so must endeavour to stick to it!

Stay organised at home, even more important now I am working 3 full days a week. Good for my wellbeing too.

Try and get the kids to be more adventurous with their food, batch cook more for work days, less crappy carbs for all!  

Book buying and reading I am leaving out of any goals for this year. I am happy with how I buy and how I choose my reading matter, so am leaving that be. 

Later in the year I will be turning 50, and I have a few "Wanna do by the time I hit 50" things, so will be pursuing those.

I want to teach myself Latin, so over the past few months have gathered teach yourself / basics books, dictionaries and actual books written in Latin .In addition I would love to be able to play some decent chords on a guitar, so  I have bought new strings for my son's ancient guitar and have some How-To clips lined up and ready, as well as beginner books.  :D

I almost ordered The Omen Machine :o. Then I decided to wait until I know the series is definitely over ( `cos I`ve been caught like that before  :giggle2: ).

I know what you mean! :lol:

I took a peek at Ellie`s books - Katie the Kitten !  :D

Yep, that's her favourite of the 4 and will get me to read it over and over. She's a girl after my own heart and loves cats. :D

This week's topic is: 2017 Debuts You Are Excited For.

Author's Note:

--There is already a ton of hype for well established authors, but here is an opportunity to discuss some debut (new) authors and showcase their books. There are plenty of debut author challenges and lists you can find if you are having trouble with this one :)

No one for last week's topic.. I wouldn't know either. I generally don't read a new release until the medium sized paperback is out, and I am normally most excited for releases by my favourite authors, not by unknown debut authors (that's not to say I don't read them).

This week's topic is: Favorite Polarizing Books.

Author's Note:

--These are books that people either tend to love or hate, with no in between. Pick some of your favorites that fall into this category

I read a lot of books of which I'm not aware of what other people think :shrug:. I don't always look it up or anything, and for some books I read, the information can be harder to find. So, I don't know if I have an answer for this one. Maybe I'll think of something later on.

Catcher in the rye - finished it, but I really can't say that it impressed me much

Catch-22 - a bit unfair of me, I couldn't get past the first chapter. It still amazes me that it's held up as one of the funniest books of all time.

Life of PI -  also seems to get a few people arguing - that's one a particularly liked.

Lord of the Rings - too long? Too boring? Too much poetry? But I'd put it as my favourite book ever.

Fifty shades of Grey - not one I've ever read, or likely to, but it does seem to polarize opinion!

Edited by ian

One book that springs immediately to mind is Naked Lunch by William Burroughs.  Once, many years ago, I left a copy of it laying around at home, and my old grandmother picked it up out of curiosity and began to read it.  I don't think she ever quite recovered from the experience.  :lol:

This week's topic is: Favorite Underrated Books

Author's Note:

--Give some love to those books that aren't as widely talked about. Those hidden gems. Those books that maybe used to be popular but people have forgotten about and they still deserve some love.

I think I'd have to say the books of Desmond Bagley.  He wrote around 20 book from the 60's up to the early 80's - he died around 1984. They were all easy to read  thrillers/adventures , usually in exotic places. My absolute favourites were "Running Blind" which was set in Iceland & "The Tightrope Men" set in finland at the height of the cold war.

Sorry, I realise this doesn't really fulfil the requirements of a top 5 or 10. 

This week's topic is: Current Favorites that Aren't Books

Author's Note:

-- Sometimes it's nice to take a break from books and talk about some other things you've been obsessed with. These all don't have to be in the same category. Mix it up! What TV shows have you been enjoying, makeup you've been wearing, food you've been eating, etc.??

For me, I've been enjoying Star Trek: The Next Generation lately. I haven't been watching any other TV shows lately, so ST:TNG is what comes to mind. I don't know what else, I don't wear make-up and I'm not sure about the food question. I don't listen to that much music and I don't play lots of video games. I guess the one I've been playing the past few months would be Pokémon Moon, you could call that a favourite. Yesterday I (re-)played some Portal 2 co-op, that was a lot of fun. Maybe someone else comes up with another category and I can think of an answer. This one's a bit too broad for me to answer.

If we're talking TV shows mine would be "The Young Montalbano" which I've been recording, they were actually first shown last year and at the time I wished I'd kept some, now they're being repeated so I can watch them again (although I missed one) and maybe keep one or two, the last episode I remember was especially good.

If we're talking TV shows mine would be "The Young Montalbano" which I've been recording, they were actually first shown last year and at the time I wished I'd kept some, now they're being repeated so I can watch them again (although I missed one) and maybe keep one or two, the last episode I remember was especially good.

Every few weeks, I have a search to see when the original Montalbano is back on TV. :)

I`m currently obsessed with choc mocha coffee ( yum ) , Murdoch Mysteries and the way my cat is enjoying her new radiator snuggle bed. :)

My current obsession is quiz shows. I've watched The Chase since it started here, and I tape it if I can't watch it. I recently discovered quiz shows on YouTube so have been watching 15 to 1 and The Weakest Link. NZ doesn't have any of it's own quiz shows, so it's mostly UK ones I watch on YouTube, plus Jeopardy.

I watch new episodes of New Girl and Elementary when I get a chance, otherwise I never turn down re-watching an episode of West Wing or Midsomer Murders here and there.  For music I've had Biffy Clyro on repeat - can't get enough!  If it's not Biffy though,  it's always old jazz.

All my other thoughts are consumed by the house I just bought.  I can't wait to move in! :D

Every few weeks, I have a search to see when the original Montalbano is back on TV. :)

I`m currently obsessed with choc mocha coffee ( yum ) , Murdoch Mysteries and the way my cat is enjoying her new radiator snuggle bed. :)

How is she liking her Christmas cat tree? Our cats love theirs, we even put some catnip on it :D