Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I`ve managed to hold off on buying it, just in case I get sucked in again.  :hide:

I did read the first few lines though.  :wub:

Probably a wise decision! :D

I saw another Sword of Truth book in the shops on Monday with the tagline 'The Legend Concludes'. Hmm, I'm sure they said that about Confessor:doh:

It does mean there are only another 3 books I need to read to finish it off.... :hide:

If I don't start it before Christmas, I want to definitely read the final TP book next year. Plus, get closer to finishing the Wheel of Time series.

I've also got a hankering to read the three Thomas Covenant chronicles now I have all the books in the final set.  The first two would be re-reads and the third is new to me.

I saw another Sword of Truth book in the shops on Monday with the tagline 'The Legend Concludes'. Hmm, I'm sure they said that about Confessor:doh:

It does mean there are only another 3 books I need to read to finish it off.... :hide:

See, that`s the problem. :giggle2:  Is it really going to be the end or will there be yet another set of books to `finish off` ? If it was definite, I`d buy the outstanding* books and get to it, but.... 

* By outstanding, I obvs. mean the ones I haven`t read yet, rather than the really good ones. But that`s probably clear.. ;)

<< Back from trip to Amazon >> Good Gad, is there a spin-off series as well now ?! Click.   :hide:

<< Back from trip to Amazon >> Good Gad, is there a spin-off series as well now ?! Click.   :hide:

Wow, I had no idea! I just looked up Terry Goodkind on Wikipedia and didn't know there were so many new books in the series that I hadn't heard of. I stopped reading after book 3, and re-read books 1 - 3 2 times, and in my 3rd re-read of the first 3 books I gave up in the middle of book 3. I don't know if I'll ever read beyond them, maybe. I thought book 1 was really good though.

This week's topic is: Series That Got Worse with Each Book/Season

Author's Note:

I opened this topic up to TV as well (which T5W is always open to by the way if you can't think of book answers), but I think this topic is especially good for books and TV. What series started out strong but got increasingly worse with each book?

I would have to think about this, there are series where I liked the last book less but progressively worse with each book, that requires a bit more thought.

Hey, I could say the Sword of Truth books but I've only read books 1 - 3 and while I like them in the order of 1, then 2 and then 3, I haven't read the rest of the series so I don't know if it'd be fair to name it for this T5W. Generally if a series gets worse and worse, I tend to just stop reading (or watching).

The Century Trilogy by Ken Follett comes to mind. I read Fall of Giants, but it had so many characters and was so confusing, I just couldn't read Winter of the World of Edge of Eternity.

For TV, Two and a Half Men! Ugh.

Wow, I had no idea! I just looked up Terry Goodkind on Wikipedia and didn't know there were so many new books in the series that I hadn't heard of. I stopped reading after book 3, and re-read books 1 - 3 2 times, and in my 3rd re-read of the first 3 books I gave up in the middle of book 3. I don't know if I'll ever read beyond them, maybe. I thought book 1 was really good though.

It`s rather taken over the thread, hasn`t it. :blush2:  :giggle2: 

For books getting worse :

Janet Evanovich`s Stephanie Plum series. I loved the first 10?12 ? but they`ve gone downhill. And even more downhiller. ;)  

I still bought one this year though ( book 20 ?), cos I enjoyed the series so much that I can`t let go.  :smile:

It`s rather taken over the thread, hasn`t it. :blush2::giggle2:

For books getting worse :

Janet Evanovich`s Stephanie Plum series. I loved the first 10?12 ? but they`ve gone downhill. And even more downhiller. ;)

I still bought one this year though ( book 20 ?), cos I enjoyed the series so much that I can`t let go. :smile:

This x a million. I get them out of the library now though, have since book 11 or so. I used to read them every summer holiday so they bring back memories of lying by the pool with not a care ;) but man, she needs to can it. But until she does, they are my little guilty pleasure.

It's like pop tarts, you know they're bad for you and there will be remorse at the end, but you just can't help yourself.

This x a million. I get them out of the library now though, have since book 11 or so. I used to read them every summer holiday so they bring back memories of lying by the pool with not a care ;) but man, she needs to can it. But until she does, they are my little guilty pleasure.

It's like pop tarts, you know they're bad for you and there will be remorse at the end, but you just can't help yourself.

:giggle:

Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta series

For TV, Heroes, Dr Who, Grey's Anatomy, Penny Dreadful, and all the soaps!

Oh god, Grey's Anatomy! Fer sure :P

I can also add Earth's Children (Clan of the Cave Bear) series. After Plains of Passage...

This week's topic is: Series That Got Worse with Each Book/Season

Funny that that should be this week's topic. :giggle2:

I would definitely say Sword of Truth (although they are still a guilty pleasure) and A Song of Ice & Fire (Game of Thrones) book series - not the TV series though, that's still at a high quality - probably because they've condensed a lot of the boring stuff from the books. 

* Cackles*  Looks pretty good, don`t it !  :giggle2:

I can't really remember what happened to Nicci...   :unsure: (here's where I'm missing the old :ponder: emoticon from the Culty board ;) )

I was in the library the other day looking at kids books with Ellie and before I went, I sneaked a look at the fiction section. I saw the last Sword of Truth book and the penultimate one too, which I probably would have got had they also had the 2nd book in the "quadriliogy". :D

I can't really remember what happened to Nicci...   :unsure: (here's where I'm missing the old :ponder: emoticon from the Culty board ;) )

I was in the library the other day looking at kids books with Ellie and before I went, I sneaked a look at the fiction section. I saw the last Sword of Truth book and the penultimate one too, which I probably would have got had they also had the 2nd book in the "quadriliogy". :D

I can`t remember either, but I remember what a great character she was.  : ponders: ;)

Ooh, are you going to order the books through the library ??  :D

What`s Ellie reading now ? And why isn`t she on BCF ? :o Its` never too early to start being a book fairy ( it sounds better than nerd  :giggle2: ).

I can`t remember either, but I remember what a great character she was.  : ponders: ;)

Ooh, are you going to order the books through the library ??  :D

What`s Ellie reading now ? And why isn`t she on BCF ? :o Its` never too early to start being a book fairy ( it sounds better than nerd  :giggle2: ).

I might consult the library catalogue to see if they are available. ;)

Ellie is currently fond of Maisy books (just the same book over and over again though. :D) and this set of 4 Axel Scheffler animal books, so it's more for me to get other books as I want some variety. :D

I might consult the library catalogue to see if they are available. ;)

Ellie is currently fond of Maisy books (just the same book over and over again though. :D) and this set of 4 Axel Scheffler animal books, so it's more for me to get other books as I want some variety. :D

I almost ordered The Omen Machine :o. Then I decided to wait until I know the series is definitely over ( `cos I`ve been caught like that before  :giggle2: ).

I took a peek at Ellie`s books - Katie the Kitten !  :D

This week's topic is: Fictional Items You'd Give as Gifts

Author's Note:

We've talked about fictional items we've wanted for ourselves before, but in the holiday spirit, what fictional items would you give to friends and family?

I don't really think about these things much to be honest, but here's what I could think of in a space of 10 minutes:

A functional Wand from Harry Potter (obviously I would give this to a reliable person)

Hermione's Bag from Harry Potter (this would be very useful for storage space)

Babel Fish from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (this seems useful as it'll enable the wearer to understand and speak any language).

The Time Turner Necklace from Harry Potter (this could be useful for many reasons)

Firebolt Broom from Harry Potter (this would just be cool)

• 2 weeks later...

The usual suspect on my part:  Sherlock Holmes.  He wouldn't want to come, so I'd have to threaten him.  He'd be grumpy at having to celebrate anything so trivial as a New Year.  But I'd sit him in a quiet corner with a bottle of whisky, and watch him get tipsy.  I'd give anything to see Holmes drunk.  He'd end up the evening with a lampshade on his head, giggling and blowing raspberries.

Sherlock Holmes is a very interesting choice!

The topic for this week (4th January) is: 2017 Goals

Author's Note:

--These do not need to be reading goals specifically, they can be any goals you want to talk about. Reading goals, blog/channel/instagram goals, personal goals...anything!

We kind of already talk about our reading goals in our reading blogs (well, those of us who have one). But I thought I'd include it anyway, whoever wants to comment on it, can post about their goals (reading or otherwise) :).

To try to read more from the tbr piles (note the plural!)

To try to read more new books - at least one per month

To try to keep up with series

Edited by Madeleine

~ To read some more of those books on my shelf that have been sitting there neglected for years.  The number is beginning to dwindle (finally)!

~ To re-kickstart my own writing.  I've written very little for months now, and that needs to change.  (I write Holmesian pastiche and parody.)

That's all I can think of at the moment.