Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Athena said:

I haven't seen BBC's Merlin yet, is it worth watching?

It's the b-movie equivalent of BBC family shows. I adore it - it's sometimes cheesy, and not always stellar tv, but when it IS good, it's fantastic. I adore the characters and their stories. It's one of my favourite shows.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:00 PM, Madeleine said:

I loved Merlin, probably my favourite of the Saturday evening serials!  Just the right balance of action and humour.

On 9/7/2017 at 0:17 PM, Nollaig said:

It's the b-movie equivalent of BBC family shows. I adore it - it's sometimes cheesy, and not always stellar tv, but when it IS good, it's fantastic. I adore the characters and their stories. It's one of my favourite shows.

Glad to hear you both like it :).

This week's topic is: Books to Read without the Synopsis

Author's Note:
--We all know that some synopsis writers spoil events that happen halfway through the book or have heard reviewers say "it's best to go into this one blind." Discuss those books.

The Man from Primrose Lane by James Renner.  The plot of this book is somethin' proper twisty, with a genuinely jaw-dropping moment two-thirds of the way through.  There's a particular aspect to the story, however, that reviewers -- and even the blurb itself on the front/back cover -- insist on spoiling without a second thought.  This is definitely a book to go into as blindly as possible.

That's the first one that springs to mind.

Nemesis by Jo Nesbo. - The blurb on the back gives away a major plot point which  doesn't happen till halfway through the book. It would have been a proper jaw-dropping moment (for me anyway) had I not known it was coming.

• 2 weeks later...

The previous week's topic was: Favorite Fancasts

Author's Note:
--Discuss your preferred fancasts for some of your favorite characters. (Fancasts means actors you'd like to play your favorite characters or imagine your favorite characters as)

And this week's topic is: Books You've Read Because of Booktube/Blogging/etc.

Author's Note:
--Discuss the books you've picked up because you've heard of them in the online book community or platform you use

This last one would be 'Books You've Read Because of BCF' to apply it to this forum.

Hmm, for me:

Stephen King - The Stand
Walter Moers - Zamonia Books
Ken Follett - The Pillars of the Earth 1: The Pillars of the Earth
Various books by Catherine Ryan Hyde
Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 1: A Meditation On Murder
Robert Thorogood - Death in Paradise 2: The Killing of Polly Carter
Andy Weir - The Martian
Matt Haig - The Humans
Graeme Simsion - The Rosie Project 1: The Rosie Project
Kristin Hannah - Homefront
Mark Haddon - The Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Night-Time
Garth Stein - The Art of Racing in the Rain
Vanessa Greene - The Beachside Guest House

Gabrielle Zevin - The Storied Life of A. J. Fikry
Emma Donoghue - Room
Matthew Green - Memoirs of an Imaginary Friend
Nathan Filer - The Shock of the Fall
Eowyn Ivey - The Snow Child
Michel Faber - The Crimson Petal and the White
Ken Grimwood - Replay
Jasmine Warga - My Heart & Other Black Holes
Ann M. Martin - How To Look For a Lost Dog
David Walliams - The Boy In The Dress
David Walliams - Grandpa's Great Escape
Angie Sage - Septimus Heap series (I've only read 2 out of 7 books)
Herman Koch - Het Diner
Joe Hill - Horns

I know that that's more than 5 or 10 books, but.. I couldn't help myself. I've read quite a lot of good books because of BCF :D.

There are a few books I would love to see made into films, will have to think about who would be good to play the roles though... although I am thinking Jenny Colgan's Little Beach Street Bakery, the character Polly could be played by Joanna Page, and Sophie Kinsella's Twenties Girl, Sadie could be played by Maisie Williams. I think she could suit a 1920s flapper girl, with Emilia Clarke or Emma Watson as Lara.

Tommy and Tuppence by Agatha Christie. I had always wanted to read Christie, but I hadn't heard of this series. I have read the first book, but they do seem hard to find.

I haven't read it yet, but i voifht The Essex Serpent because of a couple of reviews on here and I kept seeing it, so I read the sypnopsis and was intrigued. 

I am sure they'll be plenty more where they came from...

I think the only books I've read because of being told about them was Stieg Larsson's Millennium series. At the time, there was just starting to be a real buzz about them. Me being me, I tend to shy away from anything that hints at populism (for which I have no excuse: it's usually the wrong decision; I end up coming to the party late, but I just can't help myself - it's a natural reaction), but I saw so many positive reviews that I gave in. Glad I did too, as they are excellent, unlike the follow up  book written by someone else.

This week's topic is: Books Featuring Witches

Author's Note:
--So there is a topic later this month about paranormal creatures, but 1. witches aren't creatures and 2. they deserve their own topic. These can be "witch books" or books that happen to feature witches as characters, whether they are main characters or side characters.

I'll think about this one for a bit.

I'm hoping to read "Season of the Witch" by Natasha Mostert for Halloween.

A Discovery of Witches (+ it's 2 sequels) by Deborah Harkness

The Drowning Pool and Witch Hunt, both by Syd Moore

The Witches of Eastwick - John Updike

The Witches: Salem, 1692 - Stacy Schiff

The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe - CS Lewis

Mist over Pendle - Robert Neill

The Last Witchfinder - James Morrow

The Schiff and the Morrow (one history the other fiction) are more about people suspected of witchcraft, but still about people thought to be witches at the time!

This week's topic is: Favorite Creepy Settings

Author's Note:
--These don't have to be from horror books, but any setting from any book that gave you the heebie jeebies...in a good way.

I guess, on top off my head:

- Creepy old towns like Derry

- Streets like Fear Street & Haunted Houses

- Graveyards

- Sewers

- Dark locations (as in, not much light)

That's what I can think of right now. But maybe one of you will answer and come up with something I find pretty creepy too!

Good topic!

Creepy old houses in the middle of the countryside

Ruined abbeys

Stone circles

Quiet coastal locations eg creepy marshes

Bad weather especially fog or snow, very atmospheric!

Edited by Madeleine

• 2 weeks later...

Topic from last week: Books Featuring [paranormal creature of your choice]

Author's Note:
--Here is the previously mentioned paranormal creature topic. This topic will revolve around one type of paranormal creature of your choice. So books featuring vampires, werewolves, shapeshifters, demons, fae, zombies, etc.

This week's topic: Non-Horror Books that Scared You

Author's Note:
--This can be entire books you found frightening or just specific scenes from those books, but discuss books that weren't technically supposed to scare you, but did.