Top 5 (or 10) Wednesday

Athena

Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage

Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett

Gobbolino The Witches Cat by Ursula Williams

Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

Charlotte's Web by EB WHite

As I contemplate the list further I am sure I will have my usual "How could I have forgotten........?" moments. :)

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Chrissy said:

Septimus Heap series by Angie Sage

Tiffany Aching series by Terry Pratchett

Gobbolino The Witches Cat by Ursula Williams

Chronicles of Narnia by CS Lewis

Charlotte's Web by EB WHite

As I contemplate the list further I am sure I will have my usual "How could I have forgotten........?" moments. :)

Of course Charlotte's Web :wub:

Hmm, my top 5 would probably be...

1. Little House on the Prairie - Laura Ingalls Wilder

2. Anne of Green Gables - LM Montgomery

3. Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett

4. Are You There God? It's Me, Margaret - Judy Blume

5. Black Beauty - Anna Sewell

1.  Chronicles of Narnia series - C S Lewis

2.  My Friend Flicka series - Mary O'Hara

3.  The Chalet School series - Elinor Brent-Dyer

4.  Nancy Drew series - various writers using the pseudonym Carolyn Keene

5.  Black Beauty - Anna Sewell

I quite liked the Little House on the Prairie series (one book the library didn't have, so I haven't read that one), Black Beauty, Charlotte's Web, The Chronicles of Narnia (not sure if I read them all as a kid), Septimus Heap series (read 2 books so far). Some great books mentioned :D.

The Wind in the Willows

The Hobbit

The Sheep-Pig (only read this as an adult -better known as the film Babe, but an excellent book)

James and the Giant Peach

Private Peaceful (again only read this recently. Not only a fantastic book for older children, but probably one of the best WWI books I've ever read)

Nice choices, Ian :). I like James and the Giant Peach and I also liked The Hobbit (haven't read the others).

This next week's topic is: Books That Aren't Set In / Inspired By The Western World

Author's Note:
--I know this is a long title, but I couldn't figure out how else to word it and still get the point across. Talk about books that are set outside of the Western World (so outside of North America and Western Europe) or if they are SFF, books that aren't inspired by those places (so no medieval setting fantasy!)

SFF = science-fiction, fantasy

This week's topic is: Series That Got Better

Author's Note:
-- We've talked about series that went downhill with each book, but talk about series that are worth pushing through the first (or first few...) books to get to the good stuff!

Hmm, I'll have to think about this one.

Just catching up with these, so I'll do both if I may.

Books that aren't set in the western world

I've avoid SF and fantasy, as that makes it too easy!

1. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (Afghanistan)  - I could probably include his other two books, they are excellent, if difficult reads

2. Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith  (Soviet Russia)

3. Life of Pi - Yann Martel (India/ Pacific Ocean)

Series that got better.

1. The dark Tower - the first book isn't that good, but it just gets better and better from there.

... and I'm struggling after that!

9 hours ago, ian said:

Just catching up with these, so I'll do both if I may.

Of course :)!

9 hours ago, ian said:

Books that aren't set in the western world

I've avoid SF and fantasy, as that makes it too easy!

1. The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini (Afghanistan)  - I could probably include his other two books, they are excellent, if difficult reads

2. Child 44 - Tom Rob Smith  (Soviet Russia)

3. Life of Pi - Yann Martel (India/ Pacific Ocean)

I've yet to read Life of Pi, but I did see the movie (I know, shame on me).

9 hours ago, ian said:

Series that got better.

1. The dark Tower - the first book isn't that good, but it just gets better and better from there.

... and I'm struggling after that!

Good to know about The Dark Tower series getting better :).

The topic for this week has me confused:.

This week's topic is: Book Covers You'd Live In

Author's Note:
-- We all love a good cover but what are some covers you'd like to be transported into?

Ooh anything with a nice landscape/seascape cover, or  those historical covers with a woman in a lovely dress against a castle background, or a lovely house.

Edited by Madeleine

I'm going to struggle with that one. I'm mostly reading thrillers and murder mysteries, so the covers are either of a shadowy figure against a monochrome background of some harsh, wintery scene, or something involving blood! So, I'm going to cheat (a bit) and say the cover of any cookbook!

On 31-7-2017 at 10:41 AM, Madeleine said:

Ooh anything with a nice landscape/seascape cover, or  those historical covers with a woman in a lovely dress against a castle background, or a lovely house.

That sounds nice :D!

12 hours ago, ian said:

So, I'm going to cheat (a bit) and say the cover of any cookbook!

Cookbooks are books too, so I'd say it counts :D.

This week's topic is: Second Book is Best

Author's Note:
--We've talked about series that went downhill, and series that are worth it, but which series were best in the middle?

I have to say, I can't think of any bookseries where that is the case, right now. Maybe later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 0:23 PM, Madeleine said:

I think the second book in the Dark Materials trilogy is the best one, I found the third one too long, too derivative and had too many storylines that dragged.

That's good to know! I still need to read that trilogy.

The past week's prompt:

Characters' Fitness Routines You Want

Author's Note:

-- This can be interpreted a bunch of different ways! Fitness comes in many different packages. This can be about characters who are super fast, strong, agile, good at dancing, good at climbing, athletes, or foodies! Whatever it means to you. This is inspired by those routines you see in magazines for actors, but with more of an open mind and less body shaming :)

I personally don't really understand this one.

And this week's one:

Books from Before You Joined ________

Author's Note:
-- These are some of your favorite books from before you joined the online book community, whether that be booktube, goodreads, blogs, bookstagram, twitter, tumblr, etc.

Not sure what I would pick for here, I have many favourite books of before I joined the online book community. Maybe I'm just not in the mood today :P. Stupid reading slump :dry:.

Two series jump to mind immediately.  The first book or two in Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey-Maturin series are good, but it's not until book 3 that the series really gets off the ground.  I've yet to read to the end, but this is certainly a series where the middle outdoes the start.

The other series is Susan Cooper's The Dark is Rising sequence.  The first volume, Over Sea Under Stone is OK, but the second, The Dark is Rising itself is infinitely better.

As I write, I've thought of another couple too:  Barchester Towers is IMO a much better read than The Warden, and I prefer some of the middle books in the Swallows and Amazons series to either the first or the last.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear your answer, Willoyd :).

This week's topic is: Favorite Bromances

Author's Note:
-- I think we have done this topic before in the distant past, but who doesn't love a good bromance? Bromance = platonic relationship between two characters who identify as male.

I like the Elvis Cole / Joe Pike books by Robert Crais. Each has their own separate series of books, but they frequently turn up together. Joe Pike is almost a parody of the "strong, silent" type, but it's handled with a lot of humour so I find the interplay between the pair of them very memorable.

Oh yes Merlin and Arthur!  Quite a few in Game of Thrones - Tyrion and Bronn in the first 2 books, then Tyrion and Mormont in book 5 (the best bits of  that book), and Bronn and Jaime in the TV series. 

I haven't seen BBC's Merlin yet, is it worth watching?

This week's topic is: Classes Based on Books/Characters

Author's Note:

--It's back to school season, so let's discuss some classes you'd like to take either based on books or based on characters' skills. I ENCOURAGE YOU TO NOT USE HARRY POTTER, because that is too easy. You are supposed to make up your own classes. For example, you could use How to Dismantle a Dystopian Regime for The Hunger Games or Archery 101 with Katniss.

I think this idea came from the BookTubeAThon (last July), one of the video challenges for that was to make up a class based on books. It's an interesting topic, but I find it hard to think of something right now.